PDA

View Full Version : G751 - Windows Startup blank icons/Can't press Windows button

Thrill4
07-23-2015, 01:51 PM
I've noticed that sometimes when you restart Windows, you can't press the Start button for awhile and some desktop icons are blank. You need to wait about a minute before you can do anything on the laptop.

Doesn't seem to happen if you turn the Laptop on from "cold boot". Done Crystal Disk Mark on both the SSD and HDD and both are reading and writing insanely fast (e.g. 7200 drive is at 120 MB/s) so I doubt it's an issue with the drives.

clockworksatan
07-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Hi there,

Assuming that you are running Windows 8.1, did you update this from Windows 8.0 at any point? After a rummage through Google, it looks like there are/were some problems that are/were caused by upgrading to Windows 8.1.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a007e827-9c50-4cb5-ac4a-6228f900e322/start-button-and-charms-stop-working-in-windows-81

I've got a feeling that this might not be the same problem that you're having, but it give you some idea of what might be going wrong.

antoine52200
07-23-2015, 02:15 PM
I had this issue a fews weeks ago, with internet connection taking the same time as icons to switch back to normal..

I went into services, changed a fews things that was set to manual ( don't know how this happened) changed them to automatic and the issue was gone

A lot of people had similar issues i think it comes from win 8.1 and somes updates. Because i did a restore first thing, the issue was gone and came back with the updates...

Thrill4
07-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

clockwork, system came bundled with 8.1, Bought the laptop about a month ago.

antoine, can you give me any specific instructions on what services you changed? Never done something like that before.

Reason I ask is becaause it sounds like we have the same issue as I also did lots of updates and 2 system restores over the past week when I started to notice it.

I've actually considered reinstalling Windows 8.1 from a DVD without any of the Asus bloatware etc. Seem like a good idea or wasting my time?

antoine52200
07-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

clockwork, system came bundled with 8.1, Bought the laptop about a month ago.

antoine, can you give me any specific instructions on what services you changed? Never done something like that before.

Reason I ask is becaause it sounds like we have the same issue as I also did lots of updates and 2 system restores over the past week when I started to notice it.

I've actually considered reinstalling Windows 8.1 from a DVD without any of the Asus bloatware etc. Seem like a good idea or wasting my time?

Let's try to fix itr first.

to start run : services.msc

Then look for workstation and turn it off. Restart your computer and tell me if you still have this issue

Thrill4
07-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Same issue.

Went to Properties > Disabled on Startup. Any others to try?

antoine52200
07-23-2015, 07:48 PM
there is a fews but i don't know their names in english.. i'm french and my english isn't as good as i would like! This issue comes from workstation enabled or an other service that is set to automatic (delayed start) instead of automatic.

Try to look for services set to delayed which could explain this. You should find this easly. reboot a fews times until you find the right one but you should be able to fix it. let us know

My internet icon taking so much time to connect was due 4 bluetooth services desactivated and delayed i don't know why somes updates managed to change priorities in services..

Thrill4
07-24-2015, 12:02 AM
So I set every single delayed service to automatic on logon and still no luck.

Carnoustie
07-24-2015, 08:52 AM
for me it was a windows update causing this,done a system restore to before the last windows update and it's fixed.

Thrill4
07-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Any chance you could list what update you reverted so I can google the name and figure it out?

Carnoustie
07-24-2015, 03:33 PM
sorry I did not notice which ones reverted,this is a new windows install and only the second time I had run windows update,there was quite a list,nerver thought to do a screen print,sorry.

antoine52200
07-24-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't remember which update made this issue, That's weird that putting every delayed services in automatic the problem isn't gone!

At this point if you don't find a solution and planned to upgrade to win 10 the 29th just live with the issue until then, the win 10 update will fix it anyway.

Thrill1
07-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Okay so uninstalled all Windows updates and am back to the Asus factory Windows image without any other updates: http://i.imgur.com/VSCzgU9.png

It's still failing though (e.g. I can't search right away for files etc). I'll screenshot my services.msc and someone without the problem (or who fixed it) can compare to theirs, I can narrow it down.

services.msc pictures below from top to bottom:

http://i.imgur.com/DVZi2M8.png
http://i.imgur.com/qe9xH5L.png
http://i.imgur.com/LviRLHG.png
http://i.imgur.com/fc5DDhr.png
http://i.imgur.com/bCF8OE1.png

Thanks

Thrill4
07-25-2015, 05:18 PM
Okay fixed it. Took me ages but done it. :)

CNG Key Isolation is the culprit. It's set to Manual Trigger when it should be at Automatic Trigger.

antoine52200
07-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Ahh great to know i told you it was a services issue.. Glad to hear you fixed it

BrickWall-School
07-26-2015, 09:07 AM
Setting the CNG to automatic trigger works perfectly for me charted on multiple reboots and not a problem since the change thanks to the person who started this thread and everyone that contributed :-)

Clintlgm
07-26-2015, 02:29 PM
You answered you question in your question Hybrid Sleep. These issues with waking up from sleep have been around since window 2000 or when ever is was thought up. You have an SSD why bother with sleep Hybrid sleep at all I mean 5 seconds to boot up or 20 seconds to boot up is that 15 seconds that big of a deal. As you said it doesn't happen from a cold boot.

antoine52200
07-26-2015, 04:33 PM
i had this issue, and i've never used the hybrid sleep mode in my life. Thoses issues happened to me on every cold boot and reboot!

Thrill4
07-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Okay just an update on this. Done more digging and figured out what actually causes it.

CNG Key Isolation is not the problem, just a way for it to work. I asked on MS Support forums and was told this about CNG:

"CNG Key Isolation will not start, if the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is stopped or disabled.

If the CNG Key Isolation is stopped, the Extensible Authentication Protocol fails to start and initialize."

So first, I put CNG back to Manual and issues happened. I then looked at the Remote Procedure Call and Extensible Authentication Protocol services.

RPC was not running so I didn't touch it but Extensible was so I set that to Automatic and it works still! :)

It seems to be something to do with wireless security and public/private keys. Can't believe the storage of wireless keys would cause so much issues but there we go.

GottiBoi55
07-27-2015, 01:47 AM
I've noticed that sometimes when you restart Windows, you can't press the Start button for awhile and some desktop icons are blank. You need to wait about a minute before you can do anything on the laptop.

Doesn't seem to happen if you turn the Laptop on from "cold boot". Done Crystal Disk Mark on both the SSD and HDD and both are reading and writing insanely fast (e.g. 7200 drive is at 120 MB/s) so I doubt it's an issue with the drives.

I have a solution for this issue!
(If you are using nVidia Geforce Experience)

I had this same issue, slow boot up, slow loading desktop (about one minute), with blanked out white icons
After some investigation, I found the problem, and the solution.

The latest version 2.5.11.45 of the nVidia Geforce Experience is causing this issue.
2.5.11.45 is so buggy, that 'RAID Bug spray" could not kill them all.
After I uninstalled the nVidia GFE, and than ran a clean install of the Geforce Graphics driver installer (- GFE) everything was back to normal.
The new GFE update seems to be causing some major memory leak issues!

If you would like to read more about this issue, here is a link below about this issue from the nVidia Geforce forum.
(Take a look at post 118)

Hope this helps my friend.
Good luck, and good gaming!

GeforceExperience-update-2.5.11.45 feedback

(https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/856373/geforce-experience/geforce-experience-update-2-5-11-45-feedback-thread/8/)

Thrill4
07-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Yeah that seems to be the problem. Very weird.

However, as of today Geforce Experience was updated to 2.5.12.11 and I can confirm it's fixed.

GottiBoi55
07-27-2015, 07:58 PM
I confirm, the new GFE update fixed the issue!