PDA

View Full Version : ASUS ROG G751JT-CH71 720p & 1080p only slight difference?

Escape the Peace
07-25-2015, 09:13 AM
So I bought the laptop thinking the display would be nice and crisp due to the price tag. My old laptop was a Lenovo y510p and youtube videos would look really sharp on 1080p. For some reason though, on the CH71, it seems slightly blurry and not sharp at all despite it being 1080p. I don't even see much of a difference from 720p to 1080p. Is there something wrong with this? Here are some screenshots. Shouldn't it be like the whole able to see the pores on their skin type of deal?

720p
http://i.imgur.com/q1WuDwy.jpg

1080p
http://i.imgur.com/tP2SsDS.jpg

I don't know if you can spot the difference but it is very minor. Even my phone is a lot sharper and clearer than this $1500 laptop which is sad. Is there something wrong with it? Is there a way to improve it? I would appreciate some input on this.

Edweird
07-25-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing this is off youtube? It looks like Maroon 5 - Sugar. It's very highly compressed because of the way youtube handles video content. The difference IS minimal, it's just not very good quality to begin with, it has nothing to do with your display. The G751's display is excellent. It can't be a world apart from many other 1080p's. But you're comparing a 15.6 inch HD screen with a 17.3 inch one...that's not a fair fight. Provided that the 2 screens are of the same quality, the 15.6 inch screen will always win because of the higher pixel density.

I'm personally happy this massive thing is IPS - I was happy with that on my LG G2, which arguably has a "clearer" screen than this PC has but as far as PC monitors go, this one is pretty good. Again, not fair comparing a 5 inch against a 17.3 inch with the same resolution...it's easier to give better contrast to a smaller screen these days, it seems. The lighting covers the panel better. I also use ASUS Splendid Vivid mode so it looks sharper to me than usual.

rogdood
07-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Honestly, look at the guy's hair, you'll see a visible difference in details. After all, it's more than double the pixel count.

bartat404
07-25-2015, 04:45 PM
YouTube videos are not the right comparison tool. They're highly compressed video files and a lot of detail is lost in that compression.