PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Figured Out The G75 Random Shutdown?

Hail
07-25-2015, 02:27 PM
I've had my G75 for a few years now, and after I RMAd it because of a faulty graphics card I noticed these random shutdowns. It happened about twice within the first month, so I didn't really question it much. That has since progressed into it shutting down almost every day while I'm doing non-intensive tasks such as browsing the internet.

It is a hard shut down with no reboot, by the way.

I've read about it on these forums and tried the various fixes (It is not because of hibernation - I have tested that fix) and to no avail.

I would like to restore functionality of my ~$1200 laptop that performs worse than a ~$200 laptop.

Thank you in advance guys! I know this is a pretty common problem for this computer hope you can help me out.

Aliasmk
07-25-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm trying everything I can think of and after 3 and a half years im running out of ideas/motivation/patience. For me definitely tied to an Auxillary power consumption issue. By that I mean, anything that can be plugged in and draws power (usb, hard drives etc). As long as only my mouse is plugged into the computer in one specific port, it wont crash. However, even my mouse plus a USB dongle for a keyboard will cause it to crash. it also crashes with no usb's but with 2 HDDs or one HDD and one SSD.

Temps are never an issue, and like you it happens in and out of gaming.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, can you measure the voltage of the DC plug going into the computer from the power supply and post it on my experiment thread below? I'm thinking perhaps some power supplies are faulty and overloading the system.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71822-Measured-voltage-of-charger-block-higher-than-19V

Hail
07-27-2015, 03:06 AM
Dang so if I remove my extra HDD and only keep my mouse plugged in then it won't crash? What the heck kind of solution is that haha but I might have to test it out sometime.

I don't have a multimeter on me unfortunately I am sorry but I can't test that theory. I'm thinking that some of the solder points are cracked and I'm debating just throwing my motherboard in the oven because someone else had the shutdown issue and that fixed the problem but who knows how long that will fix it.

Hail
08-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Still looking for a solution.

spanishflyer
08-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Same here,
I just used MS Afterburner to download the CPU to 500 and working since then with only some sudden crashes (even when starting the laptop early in the morning, so no heat problems here...).
Clearly not happy with the situation and I'm already looking for a replacement, maybe even a desktop, but really this is just not on from ASUS to give no clues of what is happening in our case.
Best regards and good luck to the sufferers..

Spanish Flyer

zsanfusa
08-26-2015, 07:27 PM
please post windows memory dump file and event logs related to the crash and i can help provide a diagnosis

spanishflyer
08-27-2015, 03:28 PM
please post windows memory dump file and event logs related to the crash and i can help provide a diagnosis

Have found about 15-20 *.dmp files, but don't know how to read them... A Google search gave me the option of downloading Visual Studio, a huge program (several GB in size...), that "contains" this dmp file reader, but I get the feeling Microsoft is not too happy about it and has actually discontinued offering the WinDbg.exe as far as I know or understand. Besides, my slow internet connection cannot handle the VS zip file...

Can someone give me a hand here?

One last question: when I ordered my G75VW from the US it came with 12GB RAM 3x4gb and have just noticed that they are 1.35V instead of the recommended 1.5V.... Would I get better performance if I replaced them with 1.5V units; besides, the memory sticks are from different manufacturers.

Thanks a lot,

Spanish Flyer

C4RN1
08-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Use BlueScreenView

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

With the ram I would only use matching sticks to help identify the issue. If you run 2 different types of ram more than likely you'll have issues. You should buy another matching stick of the hynix ram.

Ebay has a cheap one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-HMT351S6CFR8C-PB-4GB-DDR3-SDRAM-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600-Laptop-SO-DIMM-204-/361371677757?hash=item54236e343d

Also check your chipset version in hwinfo, i'd like to see what version you have.

HWinfo can be found here http://www.hwinfo.com/

This is a screenshot from my G46, please post a screenshot for your laptop.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/Carnifreekshow/bios%20version_zpslotjx7nq.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Carnifreekshow/media/bios%20version_zpslotjx7nq.jpg.html)

Also check out this thread since it's similar

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59813-Asus-G75vw-Random-Reboots-somewhat-solved-with-throttlestop

spanishflyer
08-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks a lot C4RN1,

It took me a while to get the HWiNFO64 downloaded and working, but eventually managed (I had an earlier version and was almost impossible to remove and new and old versions seemed to conflict.

I bought the G75VW in HIDevolution, and I just wonder why they installed different brand memory sticks; if I go for new RAM I would buy the 8GB x 4 so I would have 32GB in total.

Take a look at the attached jpg file.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

spanishflyer
08-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Another view of the same file...

Spanish Flyer

cl-Albert
08-27-2015, 11:08 PM
I bought the G75VW in HIDevolution, and I just wonder why they installed different brand memory sticks; if I go for new RAM I would buy the 8GB x 4 so I would have 32GB in total.

fyi. If you're able to safely remove and swap memory sticks on your end, you may want to try running the system with 1 or 2 sticks in different slots just to see if the shutdown problems still occur (which would indicate the shutdown problem is probably not related to memory?)?

spanishflyer
08-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks a lot cl-Albert,

I've had this laptop for quite some time now and black-out as if sudden no power to the unit (no blue screens) started about a year ago;

But after I read your message I suddenly realized (looking at the photos I took when replacing the HDD with an SSD and at the same time putting new paste on both cooling systems in the hope my shutdown problem was heat related), but it made no difference; but as I say, I realized that I have all four RAM memory banks full with 4GB memory sticks.... That means that I should have 4 x 4GB--> 16GB and not 12GB. If that is the case, maybe the problem lies on the different brand memory sticks, and for some or other reason it only finds 12GB !
I will try removing the external ones and give it a go.... (I'll keep my fingers crossed).

Thanks again,

Spanish Flyer

cl-Albert
08-28-2015, 04:07 PM
But after I read your message I suddenly realized (looking at the photos I took when replacing the HDD with an SSD and at the same time putting new paste on both cooling systems in the hope my shutdown problem was heat related), but it made no difference; but as I say, I realized that I have all four RAM memory banks full with 4GB memory sticks.... That means that I should have 4 x 4GB--> 16GB and not 12GB. If that is the case, maybe the problem lies on the different brand memory sticks, and for some or other reason it only finds 12GB !
I will try removing the external ones and give it a go.... (I'll keep my fingers crossed).

Spanish Flyer,

fyi. You may already know, but just wanted to remind you that if you find the problem appears to be related to a bad memory stick, don't forget to try that memory stick in different slots too and make sure it's not really related to the memory and not a bad motherboard memory slot.
I've seen bad or flaky connections on the motherboard memory slot cause problems that make it appear your memory is bad when it's really the memory slot that it's installed in.

Also, you probably have a better idea if it's worth trying or not, but if you have another hard drive around, you may want to try that too just to eliminate that possibility before you start worrying about the motherboard and video card, etc.
I really can't remember if I've ever heard a bad hard drive causing shutdown problems before (but runs okay otherwise?), but if it's easy for you to swap in another hard drive, probably worth a try.
I believe your system has 2 hard drive bays, so you can even try the hard drive in a different bay just to confirm the problem follows the hard drive and not the hard drive bay.

Good luck and sorry it couldn't be easier!

Sincerely,

Albert

spanishflyer
08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi again cl-Albert,

Sorry for the delay in replying; I have ordered 4 x 8GB RAM mem. sticks and I'm waiting to receive them any day soon, for the time being I just keep down the CPU's Mhz...

I do have the original HDD I received from HIDEvolution, with the OS system installed, but I don't think that will sort out the problem, since it started long before I swapped it for an SSD (Samsung EVO 840 750GB). Once I get the RAM, I will also try removing the motherboard memory and swapping it for the 4GB ones I will have available after the 8GB upgrade.

I will be back as soon as I carry it out. (hate to think I have to strip the whole laptop once more to gain access to the memory under the keyboard, but that's the way "the cookie crumbles"....

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

C4RN1
08-31-2015, 04:58 PM
Sorry for the late response as well...

Looks like you found that HWinfo didn't see the crucial ram and that your issue is ram related. Now while you're waiting for your new ram to arrive you should download Hirens.

Link below

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

You can either burn this to a cd-r or rip it to a flash drive using rufus.

There should be an option for Memtest either on the main menu or in dos programs (if you can't find it I will tell you exactly where it is tomorrow).

If I were you I would test one stick of the hynix in each of the 4 slots, then test the crucial ram in each of the 4 slots. If the ram doesn't pass the test remove it and try another stick to make sure the slot isn't bad. When the ram doesn't pass a test mark the slot with a sharpie and mark the ram stick with a sharpie, this way it's clear if it's just a ram issue. When you're all done you can remove the sharpie with isopropyl.

This is the best way to test ram since it's not in the windows environment (you can eliminate it's a windows issue). Hopefully you can eliminate some variables.

We'll be around for the results.

Report the results back here.

Vischio96
09-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Hi all, i'm Valerio and i'm new at the forum and i have the same random shutdown issue. I also caught it on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_8emmCBec

I've tried all that i can think, i also upgraded the heatsink of the Chipset but still nothing! I partially solve these random reboots by downclocking the GPU to 550 MHz but now it's still gonna reboot sometimes.

I'm reading about the voltages and currents in the power bricks, i could plug my G75VW in my bench power supply to display real time current going in while playing.
My shutdowns happens ONLY while playing, loading the game and so on. In the video that i have uploaded in youtube, it even happens on a 10 years old videogame!

Please i hope we can find a solution, i'm here to help you and help each other.

C4RN1
09-05-2015, 10:00 PM
That looks like thermal shutdown.

What are your temperatures at idle and at full load?

You can check them with HWinfo64.

Vischio96
09-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Hi and thanks for your answer. It's not a problem of temperature like all guys in this forum says, they are always in the safe zone and they are not triggering the thermal protection.
I added a piece of iron to increase the thermal dissipation under the keyboard, just above the chipset, i thought it was overheated because there are no temperature sensor showing its temperature.
But nothing changed. I still can feel some heat just above it ( between the enter key and the numeric pad).

Please let's find a solution together.

C4RN1
09-07-2015, 04:28 PM
So again, what are your temperatures for idle and under load?

I would do a burn-in test with furmark to see what happens.

Test for 5 mins at idle, then test furmark for a couple minutes or until your laptop shuts down. You could have a bent heatsink that can't transfer heat.

As for the G75's I would go out on a limb to say it's either a mass processor flaw or motherboard flaw where the power components lose proficiency. In a link I posted earlier you will see where throttlestop can make a difference if you underclock/limit the processor. Of course this isn't a good solution but it helps identify the problem.

Vischio96
09-08-2015, 11:51 AM

This is while running Furmark GPU Stress test

Vischio96
09-08-2015, 11:59 AM

And this is while running Furmark CPU Burner

Vischio96
09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
There were NO shutdowns, NO reboots, no issues. So it's not a temperature failure. I think is the chipset the problem, there's no sensor on it and it can cause instability and random problems at random situations.
Here's a photo of the chipset of my G75 disassembled.

spanishflyer
09-18-2015, 06:51 PM
I have given up with this problem of random non heat related shutdown can't see other option than start replacing "bits".... I even tried installing one mem stick at a time (leaving the internal ones in place, but with brand new 8GB sticks), but to no avail; the moment I bring the CPU back to the 622 mhz it is a question of time, but it shuts down sometimes even when starting the laptop! I cannot sell it as it is, so I will wait till someone comes up with an answer. In the mean time I have purchased all the bits and pieces and built my own desktop with the Z170 Deluxe, the new i7 with 4-4.2 non overclocked, water cooling from kraken, 32GB RAM DDR4 and a GTX 980Ti 6GB, SSD + 4TB HDD, so I guess that will outperform my G75vw by a substantial margin. One way or the other I will stick with you guys till something pops up that sorts my & others problem.
Thanks to all for the invaluable help you have offered (and let's keep our fingers crossed...)
Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

C4RN1
09-18-2015, 08:14 PM
It's really a sad ending then, nobody has the resources to diagnose this board at component level. More than likely it's an electronic component out of spec.

I know for a fact that L2 Computer Repair in Brooklyn NY could help you but I couldn't tell you how much it would cost. I know they still use oscilloscopes and other electronic diagnostic equipment to completely repair the pc's they touch. They also have a brand new automated bga solder rework machine. I really can't say enough good things about them.

Here's a link to their ebay auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G72-G73-G74-G75-K40-K41-K42-K43-Series-Motherboard-Flat-Rate-Repair-Service-/330921328717?hash=item4d0c72c04d

Send them a message and see if they can help. If they can't repair your laptop they will refund you. You only pay the shipping cost to them (they pay return shipping).

Let me know if you pursue this

Vischio96
09-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the link you given us C4RN1, i've send an email to the ebay seller. I remember that, time ago, i overclocked my GPU and then it started to increase the shutdowns.
I tried to upgrade the heatsink of the chipset, like you see in photo.Maybe we should try to run a benchmark without the keyboard plate, and see if it is really related to a temperature issue, because there is no sensor visible from the OS in the chipset chip.

Actually, i underclocked my GTX670M to 580 MHz and it's stable, no shutdowns at all right now, but is a poor solution.
We also should try to change GPU ant put it under load.
I hope that someone can help us.

Valerio

REK0204
10-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Not sure if I it was the same issue, but I was having non-random restart issues that turned out to be due to a failing SSD. It was acting like a heat issue. I would start specific games, and 5-10 minutes in, the system would restart itself. After a while, I noticed that I was only on specific games, and was happening almost on a clock after starting those. I took it in to a local shop last week to get it checked out and they figured out that the solid state drive was failing. Replaced that, cloned the data, no longer restarting.

Vischio96
10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
REK0204 your issue seems to be related to the hibernation issue. The laptop shutsdown 10 minutes after booting up. And fortunately, there's a solution for it.
However, things are getting worste, shutdowns are becoming unbearable, i must sell this piece of crap before i smash it with my own hands

spanishflyer
10-15-2015, 07:36 PM
REK0204,
Thanks for the hint, however my sudden crashes started long before I installed the SSD.... I'd love to sell the G75VW now that I have an i7 6700 on an ASUS Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia GTX980Ti and 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD drive, Water cooling, amongst other beauties on my newly built rig, but cannot sell it without finding out what is wrong with it; apart from that, using MSI AfterBurner I slowed down the CPU and now it crashes on counted occasions, so I can still use it when I'm not home. Funny thing though is that with what I paid for the laptop 2 1/2 years ago I have a 1st class Gaming PC and with money to spare.
I will keep in touch, just in case someone finds a solution or ASUS decides to make a move and investigate why this is happening to many of us; I'm not prepared to start replacing parts, because I believe I would ruin myself before sorting out the problem (MoBo alone more than US$ 1.000

I share your frustration and hope it all ends-up well.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Vischio96
11-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Ok guys, finally i can say i fixed it. But you have to open your wallet and take 150 euros for a new GTX670M (or 660).

But before you start to go further, let's please take a quick test.

FAIL TEST

1. Download and open the latest GPU-z.
2. Right to "Bus Interface" there's a question mark, click on it.
3. Here's a little benchmark, accept the condition and click on "Start Render test now".
4. If your laptop doesn't lasts more than a few seconds, let's buy a new GPU.

My G75VW before i changed the gpu, as soon as i hit the "Start render test now" it INSTANLY reboots.

GPU LINK

http://it.aliexpress.com/item/For-NVIDIA-GeForce-ASUS-G75V-G75VW-GTX670M-N13E-GS1-LP-A1/32478027031.html?adminSeq=222112485&shopNumber=1499354

The GPU itselfs costs 110 euros, shipping with a courier is around 30 euros. TOT 150 to be sure.

After i replaced the GPU, i immediatly tried to run the GPU-z render test and it works fine without any shutdowns, with stock clocks. If the render keeps running, also your games will do so.

Probably, it keeps under load the PCI Bus, or the memory controller, something the other benchmarks or some games don't do, and that's why some games work fine.
It's not a random shutdowns, it happens only on some games, on some situation that we might don't care.

Rawb4291
11-15-2015, 11:09 PM
Ok guys, finally i can say i fixed it. But you have to open your wallet and take 150 euros for a new GTX670M (or 660).

But before you start to go further, let's please take a quick test.

FAIL TEST

1. Download and open the latest GPU-z.
2. Right to "Bus Interface" there's a question mark, click on it.
3. Here's a little benchmark, accept the condition and click on "Start Render test now".
4. If your laptop doesn't lasts more than a few seconds, let's buy a new GPU.

My G75VW before i changed the gpu, as soon as i hit the "Start render test now" it INSTANLY reboots.

GPU LINK

http://it.aliexpress.com/item/For-NVIDIA-GeForce-ASUS-G75V-G75VW-GTX670M-N13E-GS1-LP-A1/32478027031.html?adminSeq=222112485&shopNumber=1499354

The GPU itselfs costs 110 euros, shipping with a courier is around 30 euros. TOT 150 to be sure.

After i replaced the GPU, i immediatly tried to run the GPU-z render test and it works fine without any shutdowns, with stock clocks. If the render keeps running, also your games will do so.

Probably, it keeps under load the PCI Bus, or the memory controller, something the other benchmarks or some games don't do, and that's why some games work fine.
It's not a random shutdowns, it happens only on some games, on some situation that we might don't care.

I tried this method and it didnt shutdown. I still have the random shutdowns.

Rawb4291
11-18-2015, 06:35 PM
I don't know if this means anything, but I installed Linux on my g75vw and it has yet to shut down on me. Before, while running Windows it would restart on me at least once a day. So far it's been a day and a half without any phantom restarts.