PDA

View Full Version : Loosing focus

R_Phoenix
12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
G74SX, win7 64bit

The current open window will suddenly loose focus and then return in about 3 seconds. By loose focus I mean that the selected window will "un-select" as if I clicked on a different window and then re-select as if I clicked back.

This happens even if I am typing in a field of simply scrolling a web page. Suddenly the typing will stop, or the scrolling will stop, the title bar will un-highlight as if that window no longer has priority and quickly return, or I can again click on it and it will return as the primary window.

This happens at random times, sometimes not at all, sometimes only once, sometimes multiple time within the same window.

It is very annoying while typing. Any clues?

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 05:11 PM
If you have the Sentelic touchpad, you can confirm you have deactivation on typing set (it's the default with the earlier drivers and try increasing the reactivation time from the default 0.5 seconds to 1.5 or 2.0 seconds.

Alternatively, you could upgrade the Sentelic touchpad driver to version 9.1.7.7. This version has ASUS SmartSense, which deactivates the touchpad on typing and requires you to touch a configurable reactivation zone on the touchpad to resume touchpad use. I find its default settings sufficient to eliminate any touchpad problems while typing.

If you have a Synaptics touchpad, you'll have to ignore this post and wait for someone else to weigh in with help.

R_Phoenix
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
It is a Sentelic, however I have it disabled, I use a mouse.
I disabled it via the keyboard fn+F9

Also I want to add that it will cause games to minimize to the tray periodically. I believe it is related.

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm trying to picture what you're seeing, and the closest thing I can think of is when a program goes "unresponsive" briefly and its windows kind of clouds over until it comes back. If you look at the title bar, it'll usually say "Not responding" in parentheses until the situation clears.

Is that what you're talking about?

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
That has been one of the complaints - that disabling the touchpad using Fn-F9 to use a mouse only works temporarily. The ATK Package controls all the function keys. I would try 2 things:

1) Launch MSCONFIG.EXE and go to the "Startup" tab. Confirm the "ATK Hotkey" checkbox is checked so it is run at startup. Then in Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and execute HControl.exe.

2) If that fails, uninstall the ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", set your Antivirus Services to "Disabled", REBOOT, then install ATK Package 1.00.0014 and restart your Antivirus Services.

JRd1st
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
He means the window he's working in changes for no reason to somewhere else.

Sounds like it could be a tp issue.

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Possibly - Although he didn't report erratic cursor movement when using the touchpad normally. As I understand it, he only experiences these issues when typing.

R_Phoenix
12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
It happens anytime, not just typing. I can be scrolling a web page or drawing in CAD - doesn't matter. but when it happens I can't do anything until it comes back or I click the window again. For example, the mouse scroll will stop scrolling the page until focus returns.

IT is hard to describe so I managed to capture some images. The first shows the window with focus, note the title bar color.

This image shows the window without focus, again note the title bar color

You can simulate what I see by placing two open folder windows side by side, click on one and then the other and back. You will see the title bar change depending on which window has focus, meaning which window you can interact with.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 09:13 PM
So...it's as if your cursor moves on its own to another screen location? Does the cursor actually move?

In your screenshots, the Window is no longer active but has scrolled to the bottom.....this is typical, too? This is starting to sound like glitchy mouse behavior. Presumably, your external mouse uses its own driver. Have you tried reinstalling that software?

R_Phoenix
12-15-2011, 09:39 PM
So...it's as if your cursor moves on its own to another screen location? Does the cursor actually move?

In your screenshots, the Window is no longer active but has scrolled to the bottom.....this is typical, too? This is starting to sound like glitchy mouse behavior. Presumably, your external mouse uses its own driver. Have you tried reinstalling that software?

No the mouse doesn't move, the page is scrolled to the bottom because I was scrolling down when it lost focus, so I took the snap shot.
The active window simply become inactive and then active again within 3 sec (or if I click on the window) each time it happens. Nothing changes in the window, it just becomes inactive.

I'll try using the touch pad and uninstall the Logitech mouse software and see if it continues.

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
If you are using the Logitech mouse, try disabling the touchpad by choosing the Fn-F9 key combination. These 2 devices will conflict if they run at the same time.

Alternatively, there is a checkbox in the Touchpad Properties to "disable touchpad when USB mouse is detected".

BrodyBoy
12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
If you are using the Logitech mouse, try disabling the touchpad by choosing the Fn-F9 key combination. These 2 devices will conflict if they run at the same time.

Alternatively, there is a checkbox in the Touchpad Properties to "disable touchpad when USB mouse is detected".
He has the TP disabled (post #3), but of course it's possible it's not staying disabled. I suppose a way to truly diagnose the Logitech mouse setup would be to disable the touchpad in BIOS (though I've heard that can have unintended consequences....surprise, surprise!).

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Unintended touchpad re-enabling may be a fault of the ATK Package. I'd recommend uninstalling the current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT, then install the latest 1.00.0014 ATK Package. I can't remember if anyone reported disabled touchpad re-enabling with this version, but it's worth a try. I'd also check the "Disable touchpad when USB mouse is detected" checkbox in "Finger Sensing Pad" Properties.

Disabling the touchpad in BIOS also disables the laptop keyboard from what I've read in other posts.

R_Phoenix
12-16-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm going to leave it enabled for a while and see if the issue happens with it enabled. Now that I think about it, I noticed it after I started shutting it off. I will try the ATK package also, thanks

R_Phoenix
12-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Odd, If I check the "Disable touch pad when mouse detected" I get some strange behavior.

1. If the TP is disabled with fn+F9 first, then check Disable when mouse detected, I can not turn the TP back on with fn+F9. Which makes sense.
2. If the TP is NOT disabled first, then check Disable when mouse detected, it works until next reboot. After reboot The TP stays active and I can not disable it with fn+F9 although I get the floating notification of the TP image with a red circle and line through it. And the Disable when mouse detected it still checked.

btw, it happens with the TP disabled or enabled, doesn't matter.

thesting
12-20-2011, 07:38 AM
When I'm watching videos in full screen on any of my Windows 7 computers the window loses focus from time to time and goes out of full screen.. :( (and its not the touch pad causing that for me)

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Odd, If I check the "Disable touch pad when mouse detected" I get some strange behavior.

1. If the TP is disabled with fn+F9 first, then check Disable when mouse detected, I can not turn the TP back on with fn+F9. Which makes sense.
2. If the TP is NOT disabled first, then check Disable when mouse detected, it works until next reboot. After reboot The TP stays active and I can not disable it with fn+F9 although I get the floating notification of the TP image with a red circle and line through it. And the Disable when mouse detected it still checked.

btw, it happens with the TP disabled or enabled, doesn't matter.

There have been problems reported with the touchpad staying disabled when a USB mouse is attached. This sounds like a conflict between the touchpad driver and the ATK Package driver that controls that function key combo. Have you tried updating your touchpad driver? What version are you currently running?

If updating the touchpad driver fails to resolve the issue, then ASUS and Sentelic may need to get together to work out a fix. It may involve changing the ATK Package driver (or both).

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
When I'm watching videos in full screen on any of my Windows 7 computers the window loses focus from time to time and goes out of full screen.. :( (and its not the touch pad causing that for me)

What is your ASUS laptop model?

What version video driver are you running?

Are you using an external monitor (even if you are displaying the video on your laptop display)?

thesting
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM

What version video driver are you running?

Are you using an external monitor (even if you are displaying the video on your laptop display)?

No I'm using the Laptop monitor. I have Nvidia 285.62.
I have the exact same problem with my Desktop computer though.

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Please confirm if YouTube switches from Full Screen DURING the video or AT THE END of the video.

What Browser do you use to access YouTube?

Is it the same Browser you use on your Desktop when it experiences this issue?

If you configure it to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering does it resolve your issue?

If you access YouTube with a different Browser, do you experience the same issue?

Check out this Yahoo Answer (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110425164444AAnfWSq). Could this be what's happening on your system?

JRd1st
12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't know why you're having this issue, but this may be a workaround for you;

Control Panel >> Ease of Access Center >> Make the Mouse Easier to Use >> Click Activate a window by hovering over it with a mouse.

Whatever window your mouse cursor is in should stay active.

Also look at THIS (http://sinewalker.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/ms-windows-focus-follows-mouse-registry-hacks/) for more

thesting
12-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Happens "randomly" during watching shows on Netflix (Silverlight on latest Firefox) and with Media Player Classic, not quite sure about others like youtube.

It doesnt happen so much that it would be a big issue but that also makes it hard to figure out what causes it.

I think it's very likely a process stealing the focus but the possibilities are seemingly endless,
i.e. putting an exception for my AV Guard didn't help, might try disabling it.

R_Phoenix
12-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Well the installation of the latest ATK package seemed to help a bit, but didn't get rid of it. It still happens but much less frequently.

Is there a way to spot what program is steeling focus? I tried watching the Task manager but that don't relay show what program is active.

EDIT
I also want to note that it will wake my laptop if it is in sleep mode.