PDA

View Full Version : They took my registration!!!

Basemath
07-29-2015, 05:07 AM
Heya. This may turn out to be just the jitters following a new and expensive purchase, but I can't shut this voice up so I came to you for comfort.

I received my new G751JY a few days ago and for some reason I decided to register the product. I started the registration process; well, it started itself. After I entered my serial number I got the message that the product was "already registered" to a different user! Not gonna lie, that got me all tense. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo to check the Power On hours of the harddrives. It showed 36 hours for both the SSD and the HDD, around 10 of which were mine. (assuming it doesn't count hours when the system is sleeping."

15-20 hours seemed like a peculiar number. Fitting for testing before shipping systems, but also appropriate for a customer who tried for a day then RMA-ed. The "already registered" part made me lean toward RMA, cuz why would ASUS, while testing the laptop, steal from me the joy of registering my product. It feels like Amazon refurbished the laptop and passed it off as new.

Has anyone been thourgh anything similar with their laptop purchase? If any ASUS employee sees this, would it be possible to remove my product from the account of the user who apparently registered it and add it to my account?

joshindaphils
07-29-2015, 05:48 AM
Heya. This may turn out to be just the jitters following a new and expensive purchase, but I can't shut this voice up so I came to you for comfort.

I received my new G751JY a few days ago and for some reason I decided to register the product. I started the registration process; well, it started itself. After I entered my serial number I got the message that the product was "already registered" to a different user! Not gonna lie, that got me all tense. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo to check the Power On hours of the harddrives. It showed 36 hours for both the SSD and the HDD, around 10 of which were mine. (assuming it doesn't count hours when the system is sleeping."

15-20 hours seemed like a peculiar number. Fitting for testing before shipping systems, but also appropriate for a customer who tried for a day then RMA-ed. The "already registered" part made me lean toward RMA, cuz why would ASUS, while testing the laptop, steal from me the joy of registering my product. It feels like Amazon refurbished the laptop and passed it off as new.

Has anyone been thourgh anything similar with their laptop purchase? If any ASUS employee sees this, would it be possible to remove my product from the account of the user who apparently registered it and add it to my account?

Out of curiosity did you purchase a new unit or a refurb? I'm not sure what region you are in, though I know in the US if your unit is eligible certain aspects of the warranty are handled by registration like the accidental damage warranty. It could be simple as another user making a typo while registering. I would suggest working with Asus support to get yourself squared away. Also Asus staff here may be able to help just reach out to people with @ASUS in there handle.

Basemath
07-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Yes, I am hoping one of those ASUS demigods will notice this thread :p Will try to contact support some other way if that doesn't happen. To answer your question, yes I did purchase a new unit. I'm in the US. Fairfax, VA. This is the Amazon link to the same unit I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YR6BNVS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As you can see, it is new, No? At least advertised as such. Also meh it's $6 cheaper than when I ordered it. Regarding the warranty stuff you mentioned, I was thinking about that very same thing as I obsessed over what may have happened. I'm pretty happy with the laptop so don't think i'm gonna return it just for this. I just don't feel comfortable missing out on warranty and having my product registered to someone else..

Edweird
07-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Message cl-Albert here on the forums, he'll sort you out.
First time I've seen a product coming registered to someone else, though...might just be a bug of some kind.