PDA

View Full Version : Win 10

Carnoustie
07-29-2015, 05:34 AM
installed with no problems,took about 15 min,all good so far.

gmponyo
07-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Have you done a clean install or an upgrade ?

serbicu
07-29-2015, 06:58 AM
Yeah I'm waiting for my download to start, I will be making an upgrade.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 07:49 AM
How to force windows 10 to download and update NOW
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

Tested and working for those of us who hate to wait. Be sure to backup what you need.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Media creation tool aswell for windows 10
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Danielman
07-29-2015, 09:00 AM
The final build is 10240 for windows 10,right?

serbicu
07-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I just upgraded and it even upgraded my nvidia driver to 353.34 a newer version.The last one from geforce is 350.30

leonius84
07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
update worked fine for me.only thing my shadow play key no longers works. when I press it nothing happens

anyone else got this prob

g751jt

JBM
07-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Anyone else notice after updating to win 10 device manager and geforce experience shows a new nvidia driver version installed while under program and features still shows the version installed prior to updating?

Edweird
07-29-2015, 01:05 PM
update worked fine for me.only thing my shadow play key no longers works. when I press it nothing happens

anyone else got this prob

g751jt

There's a driver for the JY - ATK. That's the software that controls custom key actions. Try downloading it if you haven't and if it's not available for JT, just get the JY ones for Win10.

leonius84
07-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Anyone else notice after updating to win 10 device manager and geforce experience shows a new nvidia driver version installed while under program and features still shows the version installed prior to updating?

just had a look mine is the same, shows previous driver. is your shadow play button working

serbicu
07-29-2015, 01:08 PM
I can not run API DirectX 12 with the driver installed from windows upgrade?

In GPUZ is shows Directx11.2 and with dxdiag 11.3

We don't have directx 12?

leonius84
07-29-2015, 01:10 PM
There's a driver for the JY - ATK. That's the software that controls custom key actions. Try downloading it if you haven't and if it's not available for JT, just get the JY ones for Win10.

thank you, will give it a try now

leonius84
07-29-2015, 01:47 PM
installed the new atk pakage from asus for my JT but the shadow key will not work. iv gone into shadow play settings and tried to select my shadow button as record but when I press the shadow key it wont select it

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Shadowplay button works on every 751 i have tested after clean windows 10 installs. uninstall all your atks and reinstall the win 10 one.

leonius84
07-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Shadowplay button works on every 751 i have tested after clean windows 10 installs. uninstall all your atks and reinstall the win 10 one.
have uninstalled and reinstalled the win 10 pakage, still not working. iv got it working using a macro key for the time being until I find a fix

thank you for your info

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm also planning on upgrading my G751JY to 10, but before doing that let me ask this: is it possible to do a clean install, instead of an upgrade? Or do I have to do the upgrade first, and THEN do a clean install?

I ask because I don't know if I perform an immediate clean install, if it'll be licensed automatically or if i'll have to actually buy a key or something.

Thank you for your time.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 02:29 PM
You can clean install it.

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 02:36 PM
You can clean install it.
That's great!

I have a few questions though:

. If people have the chance to clean install, why would they upgrade in the first place? Especially because of the numerous issues operating systems get by doing upgrades. Convenience, maybe?

. So Microsoft gives me a chance to perform an immediate clean install, and it automatically activates it. Great...but how does it work? Do they check if you reserved 10 in the first place, or they just activate any computer for free and that's it? Seems weird and backwards from a business perspective to me, but maybe i'm just overcomplicating all this...

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 02:45 PM
just use the tool here.
it uses the oem key of your hardware and as long as you have used the system before and been online to activate 8.1 previously. I just finished number 13 and 11 of those were clean installs on g751s.

People generally upgrade instead of clean installs because they are paranoid and not tech savvy.

joshindaphils
07-29-2015, 02:50 PM
Media creation tool aswell for windows 10

This is by far the easier / cleaner / non-hacky way to go. The download gives you an option to 'upgrade this PC now' no need to create media etc. No need to play around with your update files and launch commands at particular times etc like in the first method you posted.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 03:12 PM
both are extremely easy but i posted both to give people options. The first method is so people cant make a mistake the second one could let the user select the wrong download version and not have a key for lets say windows 10 pro n version if they tried clean install.

joshindaphils
07-29-2015, 03:13 PM
That's great!

I have a few questions though:

. If people have the chance to clean install, why would they upgrade in the first place? Especially because of the numerous issues operating systems get by doing upgrades. Convenience, maybe?

. So Microsoft gives me a chance to perform an immediate clean install, and it automatically activates it. Great...but how does it work? Do they check if you reserved 10 in the first place, or they just activate any computer for free and that's it? Seems weird and backwards from a business perspective to me, but maybe i'm just overcomplicating all this...

I'll tell you why I won't as I have dozens of apps like IDEs that have a myriad of configuration options set to my personal preference as well as ton of customizations on my system (environment variable changes / file associations etc) it would take way too many hours to get things set back up the way I want / need (even with importing and exporting settings). The difference in end state of doing all of that work again along with finding and reinstalling all of my apps vs. upgrading is negligible thought the effort between the two I could be expressed with an exponent. have a finely honed environment I would like to keep it that way with the minimal amount of effort.

You still need a valid license key to install. During the upgrade your 8.1 key is upgraded to a 10 key, your 8.1 key is then no longer valid. I'm shaky on how this works with a clean install perhaps someone else can enlighten.

both are extremely easy but i posted both to give people options. The first method is so people cant make a mistake the second one could let the user select the wrong download version and not have a key for lets say windows 10 pro n version if they tried clean install.

I guess it is a mixed bag whichever way you cut it, but you are telling impatient people that don't know or can't determine what version of Windows they are running on to play around with system files in an admin console so they don't make a mistake... hehehe

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Lets move windows 10 install to a seperate thread i made a walkthrough.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide

Carnoustie
07-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Cortana is nice,saves a bit of typing and she tells jokes,not good ones so far.

benjmyers1
07-29-2015, 06:16 PM
you have to download the program that uses that key (some crap asus program like asus manager or something, its useless and a metro app)

UstesG
07-29-2015, 06:23 PM
everything went smooth except my network adapters are not showing. Device manager says I have Intel Dual Band Wireless AC installed..

PicnicHamper
07-29-2015, 06:54 PM
First time poster on here.

I have a G751JY-T7116H and like many I have Windows 10 ready to install but slightly concerned from the message that 'You won't be able to restore your PC to factory settings after the upgrade'... Does this upgrade remove the Recovery Partition? Anyone know if there is a way around this so that after upgrading to Windows 10 I'll still have the ability to restore to back to the ASUS factory settings?

Gidimi
07-29-2015, 07:25 PM
You could create a recovery drive to back up your system. You could also use asus backtracker I think. Personally, I created a recovery drive. Although the installation went pretty smooth so I doubt I'll need it. Haven't had to install any new drivers either. For those who are hesitant on upgrading: http://tinyurl.com/nbat4e3

mike4war
07-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Upgraded to WIndows 10 last night... and the Audiowizard doesnt appear, not even at gaming center... now the sound sucks....Anyone knows how to fix it? Thanks!

mike4war
07-30-2015, 05:50 AM
Does anybody knows how to recover maxx audio wizard... Last night upgrade to win10, took off this... Thanks!

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Does anybody knows how to recover maxx audio wizard... Last night upgrade to win10, took off this... Thanks!
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34135-Waves-MaxxAudio-gone-solved
you just go to http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&p=3&s=111
click windows 8.1x64
download this
Version V6.0.1.7503
Description Realtek Audio Driver
or any realtek audio driver more current then that but thats the one i used. it will reboot you 3 times for install and youll have the rog audio wizard again.

nightbass
07-30-2015, 06:20 AM
G751JY tried to upgrade yesterday. It froze during "Windows Innovation. Installing functions and drivers 5%. Overall 32% progress.".
I power cycled my laptop and I started to get the black screen of death. Republic of Gamers logo did not even pop up during the boot. I tried cold restart with no help.
Eventually I fixed it by pressing F9 and then one of the restarts (I believe 2nd after F9 method) brought me to my old Win 8.1 with everything in its previous state. So far my upgrade is a failure.

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 06:23 AM
did you follow the walkthrough here? If not i suggest you follow it and try the upgrade with the tool. Ask install questions there so people can find answers to the same problems in one thread.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide

Gps3dx
08-22-2015, 11:12 PM
anyone with G751JT windows 8.1 ( NOT 10 ! ) with working MAXXAudio- can you please share the "Hardware IDs" of the "Realtek High Definition Audio" ?????

I think I understand why G751JT with Win 10 don't have Maxx Audio working but only realtek basic driver...
I think somehow the HW IDs of the realtek component is changed..... so if I know what is the HW Id on windows 8.1.... I can force the installer to install the right script on win 10.... !
but once again - I need to know the HW Id on WINDOWS 8.1 !

NeoBeum
08-23-2015, 05:02 PM
I just bought a Asus G751JY, and did a Clean install of Windows 10 Pro, with Sysprep to change default drives for profiles.
Was tempted to wipe the system recovery partition, as I took an image of it before I started the Windows 10 install.

TerryNicolau
10-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi,

I loaded sims yesterday and came with a virus that corrupted my boot files.

Which caused a black screen on startup - only the pointer would show.

I tried using Asus troubleshooting to fix it on the boot menu but didn't help at all.

Even tried making a recovery disc from another Windows 10 laptop but didn't help repair the boot files.

So decided to reset and go with a recovery disk from ACER as thought the recovery partition would remain in tact - now I cant even access it and am stuck using a ****ty version of Acer Windows 7 as opposed to my ROG Windows 10.

Laptop is an Asus ROg G551JW.

If anyone has a recovery image they could send me I would appreciate it massively.

Even if its Windows 8.1 I will upgrade it myself.

PS Took it to the it shop down the road and they cant help.

I just bought a Asus G751JY, and did a Clean install of Windows 10 Pro, with Sysprep to change default drives for profiles.
Was tempted to wipe the system recovery partition, as I took an image of it before I started the Windows 10 install.

kobby2k6
10-21-2015, 12:59 AM

This is for the G750 family but it may work for you...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73951-FIX-Windows-10-and-Asus-G750JS-Realtek-MaxxAudio-How-to-Get-it!

hawley788
10-21-2015, 01:16 AM
I get it most of the way through the process and then it backs out, reverts to 8.1 and gives me this code in windows update
Windows 10 could not be installed: C1900101-30018. Massive pain in the ass, considering it redownloads win10 every single attempt, and takes over an hour to get to the exact same point... reverting to win 8.1 every time! I also realise I'm going to have to go and undo the partitions, so I'll be doing that shortly... really ridiculous how these things ship like this.

toronto699
10-21-2015, 02:07 AM
hawley788 do u have antivirus installed ? if u do uninstall it then try to install W10. and do u have any other USB devices attached except your key board and mouse if so unattach them ?

hawley788
10-21-2015, 04:21 AM
The only thing that's installed was windows defender, I can try and disable it before installing the update I suppose. I had the mcafee bloat ware on my new ROG, but immediately cancelled and deleted it. I'm hoping maybe my SSD partition just doesn't have enough room and fixing the partitions will solve that problem... fingers crossed anyway.

hawley788
10-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Since this hotel internet is throttled like hell, and I need to get a large enough thumbdrive (I almost deleted my external HDD with backtracker by accident) I'll use Backtracker to image my recovery drive and Mini partition to merge my SSD partitions and try this again tmrw. WIll update post with my results.

cpasoft
10-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Maybe any usb device is the problem. Do you have any device attached on an USB port during the update? Try to do it without it.
Also any special driver installed (included the NVIDIA one) could be the problem.

toronto699
10-21-2015, 02:13 PM
hawley788 maybe this will be of some help
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-upgrade-installation.html
antivirus and USB devices can cause w10 install problems

hawley788
10-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Nothing was plugged in and it's a brand new system lol.

hawley788
10-21-2015, 10:58 PM
For anyone who was having the same problems as I was, I got it to work. I was right, there wasn't enough room on the OEM SSD partition to upgrade to win 10. I turned off my win defender to be safe, but after I backed up my system partition with Backtracker, and extended the OS partition to the rest of the SSD, flawless execution of the upgrade. Hope this helps someone!!