PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade to windows 10 upgrade and clean install simple guide

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Since people seem to ask a lot of the same questions and have spread this out i am making this simple guide. I have done 14 g751 windows 10 upgrades today most clean installs some just standard upgrades. You can use the same key to reinstall windows 8.1 after this process so dont worry.

1. You dont need to have your actual key written down as its embedded but if it makes you feel better you can run the following command in CMD to find the product key associated with your Windows installation: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.

2. Use the tool here to upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. Now you can use it as upgraded or you can clean install over everything. To clean install use the same tool here again.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and choose the windows 10 home edition during setup to burn it to a usb. You dont need rufus or anything else the tool formats the usb correctly.
Heres another walkthrough if you want further reading
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/29/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

People are currently showing dx11.3 dx 12 is still insider access only and if you want dx12 go into windows update, advanced options, insider builds, get started then after you load the newest insider build it will have dx12. Your not missing anything theres nothing built to use it yet. No one knows if it will release later today or a month from now microsoft hasnt released word. Honestly i would wait for the release there is nothing that needs dx12 yet.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 03:54 PM
If we can consolidate all the windows 10 install questions to this thread i can help people a lot more efficiently but lets keep it about upgrades and installs though please so i dont have to sort through other comments.

Heres a nice FAQ from winsupersite.com for the most commonly asked questions

FREE UPGRADES OR NOT

Q. Does the Windows 10 free upgrade offer only last 12 months from 29 July 2015 to 29 July 2016?

A. YES

Q. If I am still running Windows 95, Millennium (Me), XP or Vista on my computer can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10?

A. NO

Q. I have a system running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 – am I eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade?

A. YES

Q. I have a system running Windows 8 with the Windows 8.1 Update installed – can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10?

A. YES

Q. Can I transfer my Windows 10 installation to another computer after getting the free upgrade?

A. NO

THE INS AND OUTS OF LICENSES

Q. I have a retail license for my Windows 7 machine. As you know, I can transfer that license from one machine to another. So can I upgrade to Windows 10 for free, then transfer my Windows 7 retail license to a second machine and upgrade that one to Windows 10 too?

A. NO.

Q. Okay, how about if I have a retail license for Windows 8.1?

A. Still no.

Q. What if I bought a retail license that was purchased online or in a store - does the system upgraded to the free Windows 10 upgrade remain licensed as a retail license?

A. YES.

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

Q. If I purchase a copy of windows 7 after 29 July will I still be eligible for a free upgrade to windows 10?

A. YES. All properly licensed Windows 7 and 8.1 machines are eligible for the free upgrade until 29 July 2016.

Q. I have a laptop and own the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that is installed on it. I need to upgrade that laptop to Windows 10. However, after the upgrade, I would like to install the Windows 7 Ultimate OS into VirtualBox along with our old Windows XP copy for demonstration purposes. Can I do that?

A. NO. Since you are using the Windows 7 Ultimate license as the base for upgrading to Windows 10 on that device the Windows 7 license is locked to that machine and is not able to be moved. What you can do is upgrade that Windows 7 Ultimate machine to Windows 10 Pro, the version it is allowed to upgrade to.

Q. I have Windows 8.1 with embedded key . If I upgrade to Windows 10 will that key be changed and no longer work for Windows 8.1 ?

A. NO. If your system has an embedded key, then it is most likely an OEM system with an OEM license of Windows 8.1. You will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and the system will be a valid install of Windows 10 and activated. Note that this is just for that machine.

Q. Still me with the OEM and Windows 8.1 with the embedded key. What if I upgrade now, and let’s say 16 months from now I want to go back to Windows 8.1 --can I do that? And then back to windows 10 a few months after that? Can I go back and forth whenever I want long as its on the same PC ?

A. YES, YES and YES, although I can’t imagine any usage scenario where you’d actually want to keep flipping back and forth between two operating systems like that.

To the first YES: the ability to simply revert your upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 is for just 30 days. After that you can revert back but it will require a reinstall of 8.1.

To the second YES: If you do the Windows 10 upgrade in the first 12 months it will be free for the lifetime of that device so you will be able to install Windows 10 after that on that system.

ALL ABOUT OEMS

Q. Is it true that the free upgrade to Windows 10 retains the properties of the license that was on the upgraded Windows 7 or 8.1 system? In other words if I am on an OEM system, when I upgrade it with a free Windows 10 upgrade, is it still licensed as an OEM system?

A. YES

Q. I have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Professional on my laptop. I have never installed any Windows 10 build. Can I perform a clean install of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade? Does this change depending on whether I have an OEM or Retail copy? Are there any drawbacks to not performing a clean install if this is not possible?

A. YES. Microsoft has stated that a clean install will be possible on a retail or OEM copy as long as it is a genuine system.

Q. If I built my own computer and purchased an OEM license for that hardware from either a bricks-and-mortar store or an online vendor, does my OEM license transfer to the Windows 10 upgrade after 29 July 2015?

A. YES

Q. Can I transfer that OEM based Windows 10 upgrade to another computer?

A. NO

Q. In my SMB, we have almost exclusively OEM Windows 7 Pro licenses that came with the computers. These computers are joined to a domain. Do my machines get a free upgrade? How?

A. YES. As an OEM licenses, they are eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. You’ll have to download the ISO for installing and upgrading the operating systems, as domain joined machines will not see the "Get Windows 10" app.

Q. If I upgrade to my OEM machine to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update), what if I want to upgrade a component in my PC a few months from now? Do the Windows 7/Windows 8.1 OEM upgrade rules apply in Windows ?

A. YES. The same algorithm will be used to determine if enough hardware has changed to trigger having to re-authorize that system. Some hardware changes will not cause a system to be de-authorized and others will.

FLIPPING BETWEEN OPERATING SYSTEMS

Q. If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I reinstall Windows 10?

A. YES

Q. Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed?

A. YES

Q. If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a non-genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I upgrade to Windows 10?

A. NO

Q. Do I need to use a Microsoft Account to upgrade my Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with windows 8.1 Update) system to Windows 10?

A. NO

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 03:57 PM
First of all, thank you so much for this guide!

For some reason, this whole Windows 10 upgrade/clean install is confusing the hell out of me. So I can clean install, without having to worry about activation, but only after I upgrade? This has been my doubt from the very beginning.

I'm also not sure if I should install it immediately, maybe i'll wait until user feedback and glitch fixes start rolling out. Anyway, excited for Windows 10!

serbicu
07-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Directx 12 is not insider access only.I just upgraded a desktop to win 10 from 8.1 and I have directx 12 (GPU:Fury x).

Maybe it's a problem for us with nvidia mobile gpus.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 03:59 PM
First of all, thank you so much for this guide!

For some reason, this whole Windows 10 upgrade/clean install is confusing the hell out of me. So I can clean install, without having to worry about activation, but only after I upgrade? This has been my doubt from the very beginning.

I'm also not sure if I should install it immediately, maybe i'll wait until user feedback and glitch fixes start rolling out. Anyway, excited for Windows 10!
correct unless you have already installed and activated a windows 10 install on that machine previously.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Directx 12 is not insider access only.I just upgraded a desktop to win 10 from 8.1 and I have directx 12 (GPU:Fury x).

Maybe it's a problem for us with nvidia mobile gpus.
It is for laptops right now i have already confirmed it with 3 msi's and 2 alienwares this morning.

dann006
07-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks a lot for making this, I have a question about clean install. I have never done one with asus g751 jy partition drives. Will I have to do anything different or will it keep the drives split in half like it came stock? Or is there a way to un partition them?

Thanks

serbicu
07-29-2015, 04:08 PM
It is for laptops right now i have already confirmed it with 3 msi's and 2 alienwares this morning.

Yeah it was pretty much the only conclusion :)

I guess we'll have to wait, unless someone wants to be an insider.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks a lot for making this, I have a question about clean install. I have never done one with asus g751 jy partition drives. Will I have to do anything different or will it keep the drives split in half like it came stock? Or is there a way to un partition them?

Thanks

Just like the Windows 8.1 media tool you can delete create or install to existing partitions its your choice. Personally i would delete every partition and let windows install to one single entire drive but its your choice.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Yeah it was pretty much the only conclusion :)

I guess we'll have to wait, unless someone wants to be an insider.
I wouldnt touch dx12 until it releases under windows update you cant even install it with the web installer right now and there its nothing to do with it.

serbicu
07-29-2015, 04:26 PM
I wouldnt touch dx12 until it releases under windows update you cant even install it with the web installer right now and there its nothing to do with it.

The only thing you can do in DIRECTX 12 is test the API Overhead feature test gor DX12 in 3dmark.I did that on my desktop.

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 04:28 PM
I just followed the guide on the first step, and Windows Update is now downloading 10. It lets me install it whenever I want right?

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 04:31 PM
The only thing you can do in DIRECTX 12 is test the API Overhead feature test gor DX12 in 3dmark.I did that on my desktop.
Yes but testing api or bench marking star swarm isn't what i would call doing something with it though.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 04:32 PM
I just followed the guide on the first step, and Windows Update is now downloading 10. It lets me install it whenever I want right?
Correct

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 04:52 PM
How are you guys setting up your PC for Windows 10? I was thinking of merging the M.2 SSD's two partitions, still have no ideia why Asus shipped G751's that way. And would the recovery partition serve any purpose after upgrade?

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 05:00 PM
How are you guys setting up your PC for Windows 10? I was thinking of merging the M.2 SSD's two partitions, still have no ideia why Asus shipped G751's that way. And would the recovery partition serve any purpose after upgrade?
I always delete all partitions. Windows will automatically partition it GPT for UEFI but youll never see those partitions they are windows recovery environent,MSR,System, and windows partitions.

Xehanort
07-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I just downloaded the 10 upgrade through WU again and it was unsuccessful. It's just not working for some reason.

I'm now creating an ISO file with the media creation tool, and later i'll create a bootable USB. So in order for me to upgrade, I have to boot with the USB and pick the "Upgrade" option instead of the custom option for clean install right? And if I do this, will it activate?

Gramzzz
07-29-2015, 08:15 PM
So I have a G751JT and I tried to update to Win 10. I get the msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". I then tried to do the force method listed in the first post and I get the same msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks

Gps3dx
07-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Q. Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed?
Yes

@aeolisio - Thanks for your post.
Every thing you wrote seems to be correct but that quote above.
Anyone with legit win 7,8,8.1 MUST upgrade his/her machine 1st using the upgrade application ( KB3035583 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583) )
My source for that is HERE (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/62696-FAQ-Win-10-Installs-and-Upgrading)
Thus, for a working genuine product key to work on a clean installed win10, "You have to upgrade from a qualifying version of windows for your hardware id to be stored in the activation servers" -> then you can perform a clean installation !

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I just downloaded the 10 upgrade through WU again and it was unsuccessful. It's just not working for some reason.

I'm now creating an ISO file with the media creation tool, and later i'll create a bootable USB. So in order for me to upgrade, I have to boot with the USB and pick the "Upgrade" option instead of the custom option for clean install right? And if I do this, will it activate?
Correct

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 11:55 PM
So I have a G751JT and I tried to update to Win 10. I get the msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". I then tried to do the force method listed in the first post and I get the same msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks
Use the tool in step 3 to upgrade instead

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 11:56 PM
@aeolisio - Thanks for your post.
Every thing you wrote seems to be correct but that quote above.
Anyone with legit win 7,8,8.1 MUST upgrade his/her machine 1st using the upgrade application ( KB3035583 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583) )
My source for that is HERE (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/62696-FAQ-Win-10-Installs-and-Upgrading)
Thus, for a working genuine product key to work on a clean installed win10, "You have to upgrade from a qualifying version of windows for your hardware id to be stored in the activation servers" -> then you can perform a clean installation !
The answer is correct think about it. You can indeed do a clean install if you follow my walkthrough.

Gramzzz
07-30-2015, 02:06 AM
Tried using that also. Get the same msg. I'm thinking I'll have to do a boot able USB and try that way.

Gramzzz
07-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Gramzzz View Post

Tried using that also. Get the same msg. I'm thinking I'll have to do a boot able USB and try that way.

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 03:42 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Gramzzz View Post

Any chance your using a guest account? Try elevating the commands with admin

nightbass
07-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Aeoliso will try it later today. Would this upgrade process retain all my files, including files on desktop? Do I need to backup anything?

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Aeoliso will try it later today. Would this upgrade process retain all my files, including files on desktop? Do I need to backup anything?
You can choose to keep everything but always make a backup just in case.

Gramzzz
07-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Any chance your using a guest account? Try elevating the commands with admin

I am using Admin, no guest accounts on this laptop.

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 11:41 AM
I am using Admin, no guest accounts on this laptop.
Ahh your reserved partition is full heres the solution.
http://setspn.blogspot.com/2014/10/windows-technical-preview-cannot-update.html
http://www.daringcoders.com/2015/01/windows-10-9926-technical-preview-issue/

Gramzzz
07-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Ahh your reserved partition is full heres the solution.
http://setspn.blogspot.com/2014/10/windows-technical-preview-cannot-update.html
http://www.daringcoders.com/2015/01/windows-10-9926-technical-preview-issue/

Ok so I went to the links read them And tried to follow the steps. Problem is I cannot set or change drive letters on the partition.

So my HD has 5 partitions.
100MB System partition
900MB Recovery partition
C: OS 372 GB
D: Data 537 GB
20 GB recovery Partition.

This is the way the drive was set up when I bought the laptop

Now the 2 partitions with the drive letters (C,D) I can right click and change drive letters if I want. The other 3 partitions when I right click them, I just get a help option. Starting to smack my head against the wall.

aeolisio
07-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Ok so I went to the links read them And tried to follow the steps. Problem is I cannot set or change drive letters on the partition.

So my HD has 5 partitions.
100MB System partition
900MB Recovery partition
C: OS 372 GB
D: Data 537 GB
20 GB recovery Partition.

This is the way the drive was set up when I bought the laptop

Now the 2 partitions with the drive letters (C,D) I can right click and change drive letters if I want. The other 3 partitions when I right click them, I just get a help option. Starting to smack my head against the wall.
Ok grab a usb and clean install windows 8.1 with the media creation tool
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
make sure you use advanced options to delete all partitions
then proceed with the windows 10 tool to upgrade

Gramzzz
07-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Ok grab a usb and clean install windows 8.1 with the media creation tool
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
make sure you use advanced options to delete all partitions
then proceed with the windows 10 tool to upgrade

Ok will try this over the weekend. Thanks for the help.

aeolisio
08-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Your welcome
If anyone has the audio wizard missing i have been posting this solution everywhere but ill post it here for consolidation
you just go to http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...udio&p=3&s=111
click windows 8.1x64
download this
Version V6.0.1.7503
Description Realtek Audio Driver
or any realtek audio driver more current then that but thats the one i used. it will reboot you 3 times for install and youll have the rog audio wizard again.

TheWitcher
08-01-2015, 08:35 AM
can i use this driver and uninstall just the wizard or not install that part? I dont want the software just decent sound.

vempatyappu
08-01-2015, 11:56 AM
G751JT with samsung 850 pro ssd as primary partition, upgraded through windows update and everything went smooth no driver problems.
But after windows started some programs didn't work like HWinfo, Geforce experience - i click but nothing happens. Uninstalled windows 8.1 drivers and installed windows 10 - 353.62 now after boot up the asus logo shows up but after that black screen for 5 secs and then pointer appears but nothing else happens for another 10 secs. Then i get to login. No problems with wireless or audio drivers - everything worls just fine. The temps are also good - no improvement just same temps for BF4, CS:GO and Dota 2. All touchpad functions work. Intel XTU doesn't work gives me incompatibility issue.

Some of the OS bugs are that after clicking icons and text blur out for a moment, and clicking doesn't do anything sometimes, lags while opening applications sometimes.

Carnoustie
08-01-2015, 12:20 PM
sounds a bit like this
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71778-G751-Windows-Startup-blank-icons-Can-t-press-Windows-button/page2

aeolisio
08-01-2015, 02:13 PM
can i use this driver and uninstall just the wizard or not install that part? I dont want the software just decent sound.

You cant install without it unless you use a driver from realtek directly and if you check the other threads people have been having a ton of issues with those. You could disable the service and delete the program at C:\Program Files\Waves\MaxxAudio if you really wanted it gone.

aeolisio
08-01-2015, 02:17 PM
G751JT with samsung 850 pro ssd as primary partition, upgraded through windows update and everything went smooth no driver problems.
But after windows started some programs didn't work like HWinfo, Geforce experience - i click but nothing happens. Uninstalled windows 8.1 drivers and installed windows 10 - 353.62 now after boot up the asus logo shows up but after that black screen for 5 secs and then pointer appears but nothing else happens for another 10 secs. Then i get to login. No problems with wireless or audio drivers - everything worls just fine. The temps are also good - no improvement just same temps for BF4, CS:GO and Dota 2. All touchpad functions work. Intel XTU doesn't work gives me incompatibility issue.

Some of the OS bugs are that after clicking icons and text blur out for a moment, and clicking doesn't do anything sometimes, lags while opening applications sometimes.

now that you have upgrade why not do a clean install with a usb. You would start with a clean slate and spend a lot less time finding fixes there are very few things you have to install yourself after a clean install and a few windows updates. It will certainly run better with a fresh install and you will avoid issues you may not have noticed yet.

musti
08-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the guide!

Win10 is now running smoothly on my G551jm, but sadly it seems Geforce drivers have some issues with 860M - lots of BSODs when playing games :-(

aeolisio
08-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the guide!

Win10 is now running smoothly on my G551jm, but sadly it seems Geforce drivers have some issues with 860M - lots of BSODs when playing games :-(

Your very welcome. Did you clean install the drivers directly from nvidia? If not i recommend it.

vempatyappu
08-01-2015, 09:55 PM
now that you have upgrade why not do a clean install with a usb. You would start with a clean slate and spend a lot less time finding fixes there are very few things you have to install yourself after a clean install and a few windows updates. It will certainly run better with a fresh install and you will avoid issues you may not have noticed yet.

I need to keep the old windows if I want to revert back as this is my primary PC which I use for work...can't risk a clean install as of yet.

musti
08-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Your very welcome. Did you clean install the drivers directly from nvidia? If not i recommend it.

Thanks for the tip - it worked well, no more BSODs here!

clockworksatan
08-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Ok, so I've upgraded to Windows 10 using the upgrade tool and wanted to try doing a clean install of it to start from scratch but can only get up to the point where it asks for a license key. I got the product key from my install (using the wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey command) and entered it but it doesn't recognise it.

Shouldn't it have changed the product key that's embedded in the BIOS or something - or am I getting this all wrong?

masterserenity
08-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Anyone having the problems outlined here? It's something I'm struggling with.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/windows-10-update-windowsupdate80073b92-or/f8428cf0-b444-4a3d-9763-7ccd81a38612?tm=1438466429640&auth=1

aeolisio
08-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the tip - it worked well, no more BSODs here!

No problem thats what i am here for.

Carnoustie
08-02-2015, 05:01 PM
you can skip the key,think it is bottom right of the page,install and go to system in control panel and you will see windows is activated,you have to have installed win 10 through windows update to do a clean install unless you have a win 10 disk with a key.

aeolisio
08-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Ok, so I've upgraded to Windows 10 using the upgrade tool and wanted to try doing a clean install of it to start from scratch but can only get up to the point where it asks for a license key. I got the product key from my install (using the wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey command) and entered it but it doesn't recognise it.

Shouldn't it have changed the product key that's embedded in the BIOS or something - or am I getting this all wrong?

Did you install the 10 home version? I

aeolisio
08-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Anyone having the problems outlined here? It's something I'm struggling with.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/windows-10-update-windowsupdate80073b92-or/f8428cf0-b444-4a3d-9763-7ccd81a38612?tm=1438466429640&auth=1

Try this to force it
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

akosiflava
08-02-2015, 07:19 PM
If i chose the remove everything option during reset of my PC, will i have to reinstall all drivers/apps/BIOS again? If yes, where would i get these thigs? (Sorry for being a Newbie here) will it remove the ROG logo on boot time? Thanks!

clockworksatan
08-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Yup. The upgrade has worked and Windows 10 is activated fine.

I'm not actually that bothered tbh as the install looks good and I've done a backup, but if the time ever comes that I need to do a clean install it would be nice to know if it was going to work.

Is there a way of checking (or changing) which key is registered in the BIOS?

musti
08-02-2015, 07:30 PM
If i chose the remove everything option during reset of my PC, will i have to reinstall all drivers/apps/BIOS again? If yes, where would i get these thigs? (Sorry for being a Newbie here) will it remove the ROG logo on boot time? Thanks!

Apps & drivers yes, bios no - bios is a kind of kickstarter program for OS that resides in a dedicated flash memory. ROG logo does not disappear either.
Also, it seems that only apps and files that are stored in Windows folders (like Program Files\, Users\ etc.) are wiped by Win10 installer. I had games in different HD partition and couple of data folders directly under C:/ and they were not deleted.

aeolisio
08-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Yup. The upgrade has worked and Windows 10 is activated fine.

I'm not actually that bothered tbh as the install looks good and I've done a backup, but if the time ever comes that I need to do a clean install it would be nice to know if it was going to work.

Is there a way of checking (or changing) which key is registered in the BIOS?
Nope its registered to that machine you can do clean install of windows 10 or 8.1 from now on depending on which media you use of course.

QC_AGENT
08-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Well. I just upgraded 3 ASUS Laptop to Windows 10. One old K52J, a G73JW and my G751JY.

K52J - Updated w/ keep all files and settings option
G73JW - Updated w/ Keep nothing (erase everything) option
G751JY - Updated w/ keep all files and settings option

Here my observation:

1- ANTIVIRUS mystery. The option to keep all files and programs worked fine as it kept everything in proper working condition but the Anti-Virus. I had to reinstall one to each laptop. It just disapeared for both Laptop.

2- Drivers. I had no drivers to reinstal for the K52 and the G751, it just installed/upgraded by itself in the 24 hours or so of operating and a couple of reboot. All hotkeys and devices are working fine.

3- Keep nothing option. I used the Keep nothing (erase everything) option for the G73 since it's was loaded w/ years of crap. I had to reinstall few drivers from Asus website relating to the Hotkey and audio driver. It is working fine.

4- Clean install. I wanted to performed a clean Install to the G73 after the update but I did not found how to do it. I tryed to boot from the DVD and it just boot as usual anyway. I guess the clean install is the erase everything option? In this case I don't understand why we should perform 2 x updates since It worked straight right from the first update.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 03:25 AM
Well. I just upgraded 3 ASUS Laptop to Windows 10. One old K52J, a G73JW and my G751JY.

K52J - Updated w/ keep all files and settings option
G73JW - Updated w/ Keep nothing (erase everything) option
G751JY - Updated w/ keep all files and settings option

Here my observation:

1- ANTIVIRUS mystery. The option to keep all files and programs worked fine as it kept everything in proper working condition but the Anti-Virus. I had to reinstall one to each laptop. It just disapeared for both Laptop.

2- Drivers. I had no drivers to reinstal for the K52 and the G751, it just installed/upgraded by itself in the 24 hours or so of operating and a couple of reboot. All hotkeys and devices are working fine.

3- Keep nothing option. I used the Keep nothing (erase everything) option for the G73 since it's was loaded w/ years of crap. I had to reinstall few drivers from Asus website relating to the Hotkey and audio driver. It is working fine.

4- Clean install. I wanted to performed a clean Install to the G73 after the update but I did not found how to do it. I tryed to boot from the DVD and it just boot as usual anyway. I guess the clean install is the erase everything option? In this case I don't understand why we should perform 2 x updates since It worked straight right from the first update.
the clean install instructions are one page 1 use the tool with a usb.

QC_AGENT
08-04-2015, 01:30 PM
the clean install instructions are one page 1 use the tool with a usb.

Thanks for the outline, I was puzzled about it, I tought a burned DVD would do it. You did specified to use a USB stick in your page 1 instruction.

Now, having experienced the ''erase all'' option, I would argue that a clean install is not necessary. Also, the disk management tool is still available in windows 10 (hard to find though) so I was able to format and resize the partitions at will.

Thanks again for this useful thread

galladanb
08-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Thank You so much for this thread. I am a total newb to this new online upgrade thing.
I have a fairly new ROG laptop and an older Dell running win 7 with SP1.

On the laptop I think I could just do the upgrade as you instructed, and I will be able to follow your directions.
So that should be fairly straight forward, and I will let ya know how that goes soon.

BUT... For the Dell, I have a few questions which I did not find in the 6 pages here.
Is it possible for me to take out the C: drive and replace it with another, So I can still retain my current setup?
And then clean install Win10 on the fresh drive? then gradually migrate my previous "STUFF" as I need them later?

By stuff, I mean local files, folders, photos, my PLEX media system, etc...
I am not yet quite comfortable making the full swing upgrade to Win10, and prefer to make a gradual transition...

And will the Win10 USB stick be a new recovery safety, like the old style recovery discs used to do?

I know I can Google all of this, but I'm hoping you guys can offer more direct answers, instead of spending days looking
for the right info.

Thx, Dan'l

QC_AGENT
08-04-2015, 03:44 PM
^ ^ ^ x 2, I have the same question. I want to change the HDD from the K52J to a SSD. I'm wondering if cloning the HDD to the SDD will do it.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Thank You so much for this thread. I am a total newb to this new online upgrade thing.
I have a fairly new ROG laptop and an older Dell running win 7 with SP1.

On the laptop I think I could just do the upgrade as you instructed, and I will be able to follow your directions.
So that should be fairly straight forward, and I will let ya know how that goes soon.

BUT... For the Dell, I have a few questions which I did not find in the 6 pages here.
Is it possible for me to take out the C: drive and replace it with another, So I can still retain my current setup?
And then clean install Win10 on the fresh drive? then gradually migrate my previous "STUFF" as I need them later?

By stuff, I mean local files, folders, photos, my PLEX media system, etc...
I am not yet quite comfortable making the full swing upgrade to Win10, and prefer to make a gradual transition...

And will the Win10 USB stick be a new recovery safety, like the old style recovery discs used to do?

I know I can Google all of this, but I'm hoping you guys can offer more direct answers, instead of spending days looking
for the right info.

Thx, Dan'l

USB is the media recovery.
As for the drive im not sure what your asking. The oem key is for the machine not the drive you could switch 100 different drives as long as you didnt change the motherboard the key will still work for that system. Why dont you just stick that removed drive in an external hdd case and use it as a external drive with usb or thunderbolt then you can have your stuff and a backup.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 04:42 PM
^ ^ ^ x 2, I have the same question. I want to change the HDD from the K52J to a SSD. I'm wondering if cloning the HDD to the SDD will do it. People have done clones to ssds but i recommend against it. Think about the uefi and file system differences in most cases secondly your just asking for trouble. I always suggest a clean install and transferring personal files over but if you really must do it
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/index.html
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html
those are the best options. Again i highly recommend you dont because i always get people who do asking how i can help them fix all the messed up drivers and programs that no longer work after. Its kind of like changing your car oil without changing the filter. Ya it could save you a little time but why not do it right the first time. Google cloned ssd wont boot and other similar problems and ask yourself if its really worth the hour or so of work it might save you.

galladanb
08-05-2015, 06:21 PM
USB is the media recovery.
As for the drive im not sure what your asking. The oem key is for the machine not the drive you could switch 100 different drives as long as you didnt change the motherboard the key will still work for that system. Why dont you just stick that removed drive in an external hdd case and use it as a external drive with usb or thunderbolt then you can have your stuff and a backup.

OK, Thx for the feedback!
I did forget to ask, what size USB flash drive should I use for the media recovery?
I have a few extra 8GB, but wonder should I go bigger???
Does the recovery process make a "Clone" or copy of the C: Drive or just the recovery items?

Thx, Dan'l

aeolisio
08-06-2015, 02:45 PM
OK, Thx for the feedback!
I did forget to ask, what size USB flash drive should I use for the media recovery?
I have a few extra 8GB, but wonder should I go bigger???
Does the recovery process make a "Clone" or copy of the C: Drive or just the recovery items?

Thx, Dan'l

i have used 16gb but it might fit on an 8gb.
if your using the windows tool you have the option of what you want to delete or you can use asus backtracker or something else.

aeolisio
08-15-2015, 07:13 PM
All 29 g751s at work that were upgraded still function flawlessly if anyone is still on the fence windows 10 is easy and a huge improvement as you can see by the poll and from my own experience.

Hullrog
08-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Hello.

I had the problem with getting stuck at 32% when upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and I solved it by disconnecting all my monitors except one. When I tried to upgrade my windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 again, it worked.

It seems windows 10 upgrade can not handle multiple monitors. I had 1 touchscreen and one older LED TV attached. I only used the touchscreen when it worked. Also, I used only Intels integrated card on my Maximus VI motherboard, and had no monitor attached to any of my other video cards.

Good luck!