PDA

View Full Version : Post your Windows 10 upgrade experiences for G51/G71 and up

GodsApocalypse
07-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Since I have not found a thread like this:

Please post your Windows 10 upgrade experiences below including your model and any tips, fixes, drivers, and workarounds used.

Also feel free to include your before and after benchmarks for your system and GPU. Overall feel and speed of your system, etc.

MODs: Please consider creating an upgrade / install guide with latest drivers for any models you may have and add them to the sticky

Thanks for the input ROGers!

JoeLMN34
07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
I like the layout of windows 10. Seems to perform decent. However My synaptics touch pad does not work and I dont know how to fix it. I am using a
G75VW

RedRingOfLife
07-29-2015, 05:19 PM
I have downloaded Win10 but it will not install for me. It tells me "We're validating Windows 10 for your PC" and "recommends" that I wait untiit does so, but that's sort of a joke because without forcing it behind the scenes, it won't let me upgrade.

pka4916
07-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Works great...
Now I and an image / recovery for that, including the license key... Where do I get those now??

And I have the Pro version, and can't disable windows updates...

PudgeamusPrime
07-30-2015, 04:20 AM
I like the layout of windows 10. Seems to perform decent. However My synaptics touch pad does not work and I dont know how to fix it. I am using a
G75VW

Uninstall your synaptics software currently installed and reboot.

Download this version, Extract it and install then reboot.

Should be good after that.

Synaptics Software - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8/Touchpad/Touchpad_Synaptics_Win8_32_Win8_64_Z62117.zip

kakero
07-30-2015, 04:22 AM
I have the G55VW and installation was fast at about 30 minutes (I upgraded to an SSD). Seems to free up more space than the Win8.1 upgrade (original system was Win8) and I haven't even deleted the old installation files yet.

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of proper audio drivers. Sound works, but Speakers and Headphones are separate devices and I have to switch default devices every time I plug/unplug my earphones. Haven't found a proper driver yet (could anyone here help me?) though I tried reinstalling the old Win 8 64-bit driver that also worked with Win 8.1. Sadly, it would install on Win 10 but every time I go to playback devices, it tells me there are compatibility issues and I need to disable the enhancements, and there is no separate VIA Audio Deck to fix my settings on.

PudgeamusPrime
07-30-2015, 04:26 AM
I have downloaded Win10 but it will not install for me. It tells me "We're validating Windows 10 for your PC" and "recommends" that I wait untiit does so, but that's sort of a joke because without forcing it behind the scenes, it won't let me upgrade.

reboot your computer

go here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

scroll to the bottom of the page and pick your version of the media download tool.

It's used to download windows 10 and create a windows 10 usb installer.

It's an option that might break the activation loop. Ill report back if I find any info on how to force the activation

When installing windows 10, Select upgrade.

PudgeamusPrime
07-30-2015, 04:30 AM
I have the G55VW and installation was fast at about 30 minutes (I upgraded to an SSD). Seems to free up more space than the Win8.1 upgrade (original system was Win8) and I haven't even deleted the old installation files yet.

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of proper audio drivers. Sound works, but Speakers and Headphones are separate devices and I have to switch default devices every time I plug/unplug my earphones. Haven't found a proper driver yet (could anyone here help me?) though I tried reinstalling the old Win 8 64-bit driver that also worked with Win 8.1. Sadly, it would install on Win 10 but every time I go to playback devices, it tells me there are compatibility issues and I need to disable the enhancements, and there is no separate VIA Audio Deck to fix my settings on.

Please refer to my previous thread to get your 2.1 via audio working correctly.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72299-G75VW-VIA-AUDIO-WINDOWS-10-Work-Around

climo
07-30-2015, 07:43 AM
I have a G74SX wanting to upgrade and or clean install to win 10 also but little hesitant for lack of dedicated win 10 drivers. In the Tenforums they posted some drivers that our laptops may use so take a look there also. Watch mode for now.

Thach
07-30-2015, 01:31 PM
G75VW

I have lost gestures as well and have done everything to include uninstalling the drivers. Nothing seems to fix this for me. I have been searching up and down the net for answers but keep coming up short.

PudgeamusPrime
07-30-2015, 02:45 PM
I have lost gestures as well and have done everything to include uninstalling the drivers. Nothing seems to fix this for me. I have been searching up and down the net for answers but keep coming up short.

Uninstall your synaptics software currently installed and reboot.

Download this version, Extract it and install then reboot.

Should be good after that.

We have the same laptop, It should work fine.

Synaptics Software - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/..._64_Z62117.zip

frewi
07-30-2015, 06:13 PM
I have a G74SX wanting to upgrade and or clean install to win 10 also but little hesitant for lack of dedicated win 10 drivers. In the Tenforums they posted some drivers that our laptops may use so take a look there also. Watch mode for now.

I actually got some drivers for windows 10 although most are win 8 / 8.1 for G74SX for now (the one's for 10 are - 1 from asus - atk/keyboard driver - 1 from Lenovo - Synaptic touchpad (did you know the G74SX's keyboard is a Lenovo Japanese 106 key integrated kb?) and the rest from the laptop part manufacturers) although the only driver I couldn't find is the Bluetooth one which is kinda hard to find since it leads to 3 brand types(had given up sadly since I have most important one's) and windows 10 doesn't even realize that the Bluetooth drivers missing although to complete the updated drivers I'll see if I can hunt it down :p

I suggest keeping an eye on this page - Asus windows 10 upgrade page (http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html) since I don't know if they will update it with more drivers or not but anyway .. :eek:

just my 0.02$

jowens1126
07-30-2015, 06:47 PM
I have a G75VW. I tried to do the win 10 upgrade but it crashed after downloading and starting the instal. So I did the USB option and successfully downloaded it to the usb stick. Then when I restart with the usb stick it goes to the install page and asks for the windows key. I enter the key from my windows 7 sticker on the bottom of my computer and it says "Key not valid" I try to skip this step which takes me to a listing of the partitions. It says it wont install on any of my partitions because they are GPT format partitions. I thought GPT was the new big thing, why wont the newest OS work on it. I think its a glitch. Anyone else run into something like this? I tried to call tech support, but got a 115 minuite call back, when they called me back I got transfered and waited on hold for an hour then hung up.

thbdwn
07-30-2015, 11:31 PM
G75VW. Upgrade was easy and smooth aside from VIA audio and touchpad drivers, which were a pain in the ass to fix. Though I have seen a few OS bugs so far, the experience has overall been great.

Cockroach1
07-31-2015, 04:04 AM
I have a G73JH. I haven't installed Windows 10 yet as it's not yet available for me, but I plan to. Is there anything I need to know about before I do?

Clintlgm
07-31-2015, 01:19 PM
Yes you downloaded the wrong ISO, you need to download the core 64bit that should be UEFI only make sure you download from a 64 bit computer

Clintlgm
07-31-2015, 01:25 PM
You are doing this correct thing looking to see who have what isses. Also the tenforums (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72651-Post-your-Windows-10-upgrade-experiences-for-G51-G71-and-up&p=524852&posted=1#post524852) is very helpful

You need to upgrade through Microsoft update first. once that is complete you can download the ISO and clean install if you want too.

climo
08-03-2015, 07:55 AM
I actually got some drivers for windows 10 although most are win 8 / 8.1 for G74SX for now (the one's for 10 are - 1 from asus - atk/keyboard driver - 1 from Lenovo - Synaptic touchpad (did you know the G74SX's keyboard is a Lenovo Japanese 106 key integrated kb?) and the rest from the laptop part manufacturers) although the only driver I couldn't find is the Bluetooth one which is kinda hard to find since it leads to 3 brand types(had given up sadly since I have most important one's) and windows 10 doesn't even realize that the Bluetooth drivers missing although to complete the updated drivers I'll see if I can hunt it down :p

I suggest keeping an eye on this page - Asus windows 10 upgrade page (http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html) since I don't know if they will update it with more drivers or not but anyway .. :eek:

just my 0.02$

Thanks for the update about using windows 8/8.1 drivers. There was a thread a while back with a link to g74sx drivers he used to install win8.1, but cant seem to find it. Anyhow, still not convinced upgrading is the way to go as there are many issues being reported on the tenforums. I will probably wait and buy the retail copy so I can dual boot both versions.

frewi
08-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the update about using windows 8/8.1 drivers. There was a thread a while back with a link to g74sx drivers he used to install win8.1, but cant seem to find it. Anyhow, still not convinced upgrading is the way to go as there are many issues being reported on the tenforums. I will probably wait and buy the retail copy so I can dual boot both versions.

Yeah no problem , and also Neowin reports that there's a new update that' might be coming next week(reported last month 30th) called - 'Service Release 1' (http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-service-release-1-expected-to-roll-out-next-month)so sometime probably this week although I estimate a month since we are already at next week aka this week soo .. and other thing to let you know is that it wasn't buggy for me but not every machine is the same configuration so to speak so anyway I've been happily with 10 since last week and playing The Crew (racing game) and it's smooth although take my recommendation for when you Do get the retail of copy of win10 and Do not install the p4g/power 4 gear since it's like putting an old power plant to use - at least that's the way I see it

user
08-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Upgraded? windows 7 to 10 on g74. Afterwards, no sound till I downloaded drivers but now stereo is the my only option. My HP printer doesn't have driver so its dead - found that out today when I tried to print. I disabled the p2p downloading because it should had been off and ASKED me if I wanted to use their bit torrent. The browser Edge is lacking even the basic setting new tab to specific page; I have to get new tab and then hit home page to get it to where I want it. I'm holding out till the end of the 30 days they give us to roll back to see if they can't fix most of these. Seriously, no drivers and they still let this turd drop.

Clintlgm
08-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Well its very easy to just restore that Image of your OS Drive with windows 7 usually takes me 15 to 20 minutes and I'm right back where I was at the time I made that Image!! Asus is not likely to support windows 10 on any G models below the G750 maybe not even them. They have always stopped updating models that they are not still selling. If you really want to run 10 then you'll have to source out working drivers and work around. Besides this forum there are the http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/asus-gaming-notebook-forum.1087/ and the https://www.tenforums.com Also Goggle will be helpful.
Personally with my G75 I don't plan on upgrading It to Windows 10 for at least a few months if at all after the first major SP. I'll watch out here and the other forums and deside if its worth the hassle or not. I lke windows 7 a lot and windows 8.1 even better for this notebook 10 may not be in the works

You mention having only 30 days to roll back to 7? the offer from MS is 1 year to upgrade to 10 for free then that free version is for as long as you have the notebook. If you have the recommended Image of Win 7 you can restore that anytime you want?

GodsApocalypse
08-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Thank you all for your input! This is especially helpful for the driver issues I'm anticipating we may have with some devices and OEM software!

For those of you who need the ISO, you can download it from this page - make sure you are selecting the correct version 32/64 bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

AUS Win10 upgrade website: http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html

Perhaps they will consider supporting it after all?

Keep the comments, benchmarks, experiences coming!!

GodsApocalypse
08-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have experiences to share with DirectX 12 and benchmarks/graphics/gaming/video?

Thanks!

GodsApocalypse
08-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Well its very easy to just restore that Image of your OS Drive with windows 7 usually takes me 15 to 20 minutes and I'm right back where I was at the time I made that Image!! Asus is not likely to support windows 10 on any G models below the G750 maybe not even them. They have always stopped updating models that they are not still selling. If you really want to run 10 then you'll have to source out working drivers and work around. Besides this forum there are the http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/asus-gaming-notebook-forum.1087/ and the https://www.tenforums.com Also Goggle will be helpful.
Personally with my G75 I don't plan on upgrading It to Windows 10 for at least a few months if at all after the first major SP. I'll watch out here and the other forums and deside if its worth the hassle or not. I lke windows 7 a lot and windows 8.1 even better for this notebook 10 may not be in the works

You mention having only 30 days to roll back to 7? the offer from MS is 1 year to upgrade to 10 for free then that free version is for as long as you have the notebook. If you have the recommended Image of Win 7 you can restore that anytime you want?

Please let us know what you decide on your G75 and if you are willing to put a list of drivers / sources / links for drivers together, it would certainly help the whole community very much! My main reason for considering Win10 upgrade is for DirectX upgrade and potential performance increases. However the next question would be if the GPU drivers from Nvidia would be Win10 compatible or be problematic?

rognoobie
08-09-2015, 02:31 PM

I had the same problem just after the upgrade , but ones NVIDIA and other drivers got updated (some got updated via the windows update , but i had to update some of them via the NVIDIA control panel)

Apart from that , i have not seen any other problems , may be cuz i dont play a lot of games these days.

Clintlgm
08-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Well lets hope they do support these older notebooks after all this one is barley over 3 years old!! Hopefully everyone that does the upgrade to 10 will post in this thread how they get everything working or don't? If enough do the Mods will make it a Sticky so it will be easy for everyone to find.

AV-NInja
08-10-2015, 02:32 AM
About three months ago, I purchased a used G75VW that came with the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Edition installed. It was a pretty early version, and I was a bit nervous. The guy who previously had the ROG was an IT Professional. Fast forward to 8-9-2015, and I am now on Build 10162 - the second major upgrade since getting the G75.

I've used the laptop extensively, both for business (Adobe CS6) and personal use (email, web-surfing, videos, gaming on Steam, etc. ) My overall impression is WOW! Microsoft finally got their **** together and created the awesome OS that most of their core users have been pleading with them to release! I've used every OS they have produced going back to MS-DOS, and had decided that Windows 7 was their crowning achievement. I do video production and have used it at work everyday for five years. Which, of course, was why they decided to create Windows 8 - just to piss me off. However, they have redeemed themselves.

From the moment I began using it, Windows 10 has been running almost flawlessly. It has all the power and appeal of Windows 7, but with some additional technological flair and function that enhances my computer experience, and doesn't force me to put up with a Smartphone interface, or bogdown the system with unnecessary software / app crap.

With only a few minor exceptions, all of my software has been loading and running fine. The only exceptions have been Adobe CS5, and the most recent Serif Creative Suite. However, these could also be driver issues, or something else. I also have the issue someone else metioned regarding the headphone / speaker function. It doesn't switch over with the cable being plugged in. I have to manually change the default. Anyway, final word... I am very pleased. CUDOS MICROSOFT.

Almighty1
08-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Just upgraded my G74SX-3DE to Windows 10 and it seems I ran into a few issues, so hope those of you who have it working can chime in:

As I'm using the ASUS Win10 info page here as a guide:
http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html

referencing the guide here http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html#ap-driver

It appears everything is working except for the following:
ASUS USB Charger Plus - the guide says to install v4.1.6 or above except when ASUS USB Charger Plus won't start as it will have the error
"m_bBiosSupportV2 is false" - does anyone here have USB Charger Plus working in Win 10 and if so, what version are you using?
Update: I'm using v2.0.8 which is for Windows 7 and it seems to work fine.

ASUS Splendid - Vivid Mode has no function - the guide mentions to "Need to update ASUS Splendid to v3.11.0001 or above via ASUS Support Site." - has anyone here been able to find ASUS Splendid v3.11.0001 or above? Managed to find this at thanks to a fellow forum member: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win10/Splendid/Splendid_Win10_64_VER3110001.zip
Except it won't install as it keeps saying cannot find icm file so the installer exits.

Also, the upgrade didn't install some default win 10 apps for example like the calculator app so pressing the calculator button or running the calculator app does nothing except flash the screen really fast, the correct way to fix this is to use Powershell in Administrative Mode making sure you don't have any apps opened to reinstall all default apps with the following command in after you see the prompt in Powershell:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Other than that, there is no default app listed for Calendar in settings even though Calendar app is installed.

Some additional notes:
When one does a upgrade, it downloads Win10 to C:\$Windows.~BT and you will notice that under C:\$Windows.~BT\Drivers there will be the drivers for some of the devices on your system which I think is things that Microsoft doesn't provide drivers for or it could be the reverse.

In any case, my bluetooth was not working so I installed the following:
This one is the latest for 32/64bit being Bluetooth Suite 8.0.1.336:
http://tiny.cc/vamx1x

Also, make sure to get the latest Intel Chipset Installation Drivers:
Intel Chipset 10.1.2.8 (WHQL) for Windows 7/8/8.1/10:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/intel-chipset-software-installation-10-1-2-8-whql-download.html

I also just updated the following a few minutes ago:
Qualcomm/Atheros Wireless LAN Win10 32/64 specific drivers v10.0.0.321:
http://drivers.mydrivers.com/drivers/493_197321.htm

RealTek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7581 dated August 11, 2015 is now available:
https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1674

Cecil_2099
08-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Finally successfully upgraded my G75VW-BBK5 yesterday to Windows 10. Here's what happened with my attempts:

1) Attempted the update through windows update and it failed. It would download the update files, reboot, get to the first black progress screen with the big circle and the percent. It would then restart and report that it failed. Tried this 3 times and it wouldn't work, so I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install) and stuck it on an 8GB USB stick.

2) Totally unrelated to the update process, I found out that my left USB ports for whatever reason cannot consistently maintain a USB 3.0 connection whilst trying to set up the USB stick (looks like this is a common problem [http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22965-G75-Left-Side-USB-ports] and the solutions in the thread didn't work, so only USB 2.0 devices on the left side from now on.)

3) Also unrelated to the update process, I found that my system was having difficulty bringing up the Safe Mode boot menu at startup when pressing F8 and the System Recovery key (F9) wasn't responding. Also was having instances where powering up the laptop would just hang at a black screen then power down itself. After a few rounds of that then it would stay powered on and actually boot properly. I upgraded my BIOS to version 223 within the BIOS and now power on and the F8 and F9 keys work properly (odd I know).

4) Now that I had a more reliably operating computer, I tried to update from the created USB stick. Turns out it too would also fail at the same point, but at least this method reported an error something along the lines of "Update failed at SAFE_BOOT failure at creating ROLL_BACK" or something like that (sorry, I can't find my google search for it in my history). After researching it on Google, it was determined that Windows 10 update sometimes has problems with dual hard drives. This was the case for my G75VW as I have an SSD for my OS and programs, and the stock 1TB HDD for my user folders and data. Since the Windows 10 updater creates a restore point, I'm guessing it was having problems with the data being spread across 2 drives. I disconnected the 1TB HDD, booted up, then started the update by running the executable off the USB stick and the update process went a lot further.

5) At some point in the upgrade process the tool asked if I was upgrading. I selected the upgrade option and then it told me that I needed to remove the installation media, restart my computer, allow it to boot normally and let it continue the upgrade process. When I rebooted my computer I got a "No boot device detected, please insert boot media and press any key". I would get this even if I put the USB stick back in and rebooted. So I rebooted, pressed the ESC key at the ASUS logo and selected as a boot device my SSD. That worked and the update continued to the black screen with the big circle, now at 50%.

6) The upgrade prgressed to 75% and rebooted again, and I got that "no boot device" error again. Did the same thing as before and it progressed from 75% to 100%. I checked the BIOS and the SSD was removed from the boot order, so I put it back in and haven't had any issues since.

7) Once in Windows 10 I noticed the following issues:
a. Synaptics Touch Pad worked, but didn't have any of the gesture capability;
b. No sound;
c. fn+NumEnter doesn't bring up Calculator
d. 3 unidentified devices (further research determined it was my Wacom tablet, Razer Surround, and the Atheros Bluetooth)
e. G700s wireless mouse was not being detected by the logitech software.
f. Razer Nostromo was not loading profiles.
*edit: I don't use much of the ASUS utilities that came pre-installed so I can't comment on those.

Here is how I fixed (or tried to fix) each issue:
7a: Read through the guide here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73350-Guide-How-to-properly-fix-the-touchpad-driver-after-upgrading-to-Windows-10 didn't have the energy or patience to do all that so I just downloaded the latest Win 8 driver from the ASUS support page (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G75VW/Touchpad_Synaptics_Win8_64_VER162117.zip), uninstalled the older Win 7 version of it, then installed the Win 8 driver. Restarted and it works and I have all the gestures back.

7b: Read through and followed this guide here to get the sound back: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72299-G75VW-VIA-AUDIO-WINDOWS-10-Work-Around

7c: Uninstalled the ATK package and installed the Windows 8 version from the ASUS support site: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win8_64_Z100023.zip this worked but now the ROG button doesn't show on screen which power profile it's cycling to. The button works as it actually changes the power profile, it just doesn't show up on screen as it did on Win7 and with the older ATK package. Too lazy and not critical for me, so I'm not going to fix it right now. *edit: I'm going to try this package here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win81_64_VER100038.zip to see if that works.

7d: Wacom tablet was fixed by uninstalling the old driver and installing the newest one from Wacom. Razer surround still doesn't work, so I just removed that device from the device manager. Atheros bluetooth was fixed by uninstalling the old Atheros drivers and installing the Windows 8.1 driver from the ASUS support page: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_QualcommAtheros_Win81_64_VER801306.zip that seemed to work.

7e & f: Downloading the latest updated software solved those issues.

8) Having upgraded from Windows 7, I prefer Windows 7 still. There are some neat things with Windows 10, but overall it aesthetically feels like it's been slapped together and left unpolished.

Clintlgm
08-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Put Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3449)on and you can fix all that Slapped together and left unpolished

Almighty1
08-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Cecil_2099, for 7c, you're using the wrong version of ATK...

You should use this as a guide:
http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html#ap-driver

However, since you are using ATK 1.0.0038 or newer, all you really need to do is enable the OSD portion as seen here for the OSD stuff to work, I couldn't get my ROG key working either on the G74SX-3DE.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012798/

TeamBMW
08-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

Sorry if this issue has already been discussed on forum - but I could not find any message about this and therefore this post.

I have discovered a quite big problem since upgrading to Windows 10 on my G75VW

When trying to shut down my computer - or even re-starting it - nothing happens except a message about shutting down.

A few times I have got a blue screen (oh no - not this blue screen issue as in the "good old days") saying:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Until now I didn't find any solution for this on the web and only way to solve this problem has been the hard way to push and hold down the "ON" button.

Of course I consider to roll back to my previous Windows 7 environment - but sometimes the "easy way" is not the best way... - actually I also thought about buying a new computer :p

I hope that some of you hardcore guys out there can assist me with this problem - it is quite frustrating to know that every evening I must kill my computer the hard way.

Anyone with good ideas...

Thanks a lot in advance.

jowens1126
08-14-2015, 03:46 PM
I finally figured it out! When windows 10 came out, I opted for the windows update route for installation, since when I tried to use the installation tool to create a usb version to do a clean install would never work because it would not install to a drive with GPT partitions.
The upgrade went fairly well. I had trouble with the audio driver, but used the sticky at the top of the forum to correct it. All my old programs and data pretty much worked. The only issue was, I wanted to install it on my SSD, but it did not give me any option where to install.
So I just went along with it. Once it was complete, The boot time was unbearable, my HDD was constantly at 100% activity, and it was SLOW overall. So I started digging and found an article on how to do a clean install.

The article said to go ahead and install via the upgrade on windows update and let it activate and all that like I did. Then go to the MS site and download the 64 bit version of win 10 as an ISO. Then use Rufus to create the USB Boot drive. Rufus allows you to select MBR or GPT on your destination drive when you are creating the image.
Once I disabled all other boot devices besides the usb in the bios, it booted perfectly into the usb and allowed me to do a 100% clean install on the SSD. I skipped the pages that ask for the windows key. Once it was completely installed it automatically activated.

Now all is right in the world again! Win10 on my SSD is fast as lightning and everything works perfectly. All the old codecs and garbage that was on the old win 7 drive is gone and doesnt interfere with anything. I was having horrible shockwave issues on the initial upgrade but all of that is now resolved as well.
It boots in seconds, and runs everything I have perfectly. I did have to do the audio fix twice to get it working right, but even that works great now.
Im glad I was able to get this done!

Clintlgm
08-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Well since you have upgraded and activate I think I would try a clean install. Once you do the upgrade and activate you can Clean Install get your IS Here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I would just let it create a bootable Install media. On start up hit the Esc key and a boot menu will come up select your UEFI USB media. That is unless you have reinstall window 7 in BIOS MBR Legacy mode?

TeamBMW
08-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Well since you have upgraded and activate I think I would try a clean install. Once you do the upgrade and activate you can Clean Install get your IS Here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I would just let it create a bootable Install media. On start up hit the Esc key and a boot menu will come up select your UEFI USB media. That is unless you have reinstall window 7 in BIOS MBR Legacy mode?

Hi mate,

Thank you for your input.

Actually I am not a harcore technical guy - my G75VW was delivered with Windows 7 pre-installed and I did not modify anything during preparing the computer from the first day.

Just to be sure about the clean installation you are talking about - do I need to start all over during installation, or will I get the option to keep my installed programs, documents and other files?

Sorry to sound quite noob - but as said I am not that technical.

Thanks for your assistance so far...

FaniRama
08-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Windows 10 upgrade experience for Asus G74SX 3d model -

- Pre-upgrade - Win 7 64-bit Home
Issues noticed -
* after installing a 1TB SSHD hybrid drive, the OS would hang/freeze after resuming from sleep and only a hard powercycle would bring it back
* high CPU/GPU temps (idle cpu = 65C, idle gpu=55C, under load cpu = 97C and thermal throttling always on cpu core 2, rest of cores around 95C, under load gpu = 85C. This is with GTA V - very high textures using 2.4GB VRAM)
* slow/sluggish response at times
* under intense game load, max cpu freq was always 2994MHz (x28)

Used a dust buster to clean the vents and temps dropped about 8C to 89C cpu under load, 79C GPU under load. (GTA V)
Idle temps dropped about 4C

_ Upgrade went smooth and took about 40mins.

- Post-upgrade - Win 10 64-bit Home
Benefits
* no more hangs after resuming from sleep.
* cpu/gpu temps are now strangely lower on their own. Idle cpu temp is now approx 40C cpu, 36C gpu. Max cpu temp is now 75C with GTA V, max gpu temp is now 71C. No other changes so this is very puzzling to me.
* the touchpad got enabled and I noticed the sentellic driver ver updated and it was just a matter of disabling. However, after each resume from sleep I have to unplug/replug mouse to disable touchpad each time like before. I will just disable entire touchpad again.
* hwinfo64 now reports x30-x31 boost when gaming. Max freq program shows is now 3093MHz (about 100MHz more than before under Win 7). This used to be x28 in Win 7
* Overall feel is very clean and nice. The laptop seems zippy. I'll be buying a 1TB Corsair SSD (I have 1TB SSHD and 750GB HDD) to speed it up vastly.
* Windows store is nice, MS Edge is actually very nice (but I'm sticking with my Opera Beta, best browser ever ;)
* Cortana is very nice. Bing is very well integrated and nice. Using this almost exclusively

Minor quibbles
* the default win 10 fonts all seem super tiny. Had to increase it a bit (making it bold makes it look real nice)
* scrollbars look like win 95 scroll bars for some reason
* where is solitaire? I used to like to play that before. It is missing? There's some ad filled Solitaire collection but no actual solitaire game.
* who installed candy crush? It seems to have installed by default.
* unable to disable bluetooth. Need to figure this out
* nvidia driver via geforce experience kept complaining "incompatible with this ver of windows and no compatible nvidia hw found". Had to manually force by downloading driver instead of geforce experience
* nvidia driver install required 2 reboots - one after it removed it, then rebooted and resumed and installed win 10 driver. There doesn't seem to be the feature which was there in Win 7 - install the new drivers without reboot
* The annoying UAC messages are all still there.
* battery status shows - 96% plugged in, not charging. Battery doesn't seem to be going to 100% anymore? each reboot is dropping it by 1%. But it seems to be ok for now. Maybe needs a better driver.

Overall after a couple of days, the experience is positive but I have a month still to roll back if needed.

Clintlgm
08-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Yes Clean Install mean you Start the install on a clean disk! you have to install all your hardware drivers and reinstall all your software.
Since you say, you haven't updated anything since you got this notebook. I was basing my reply assuming that you have updated all you hardware drivers. So you can go to Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)and download and install all the hard ware drivers there for your notebook. These are all Tested and approved drivers for your notebook. Since we are 2 generations back in technology we may have to find drivers that will work in windows 10 Some supplied by Microsoft may work some of the Windows 8.1 driver may work.
For you, you should look in the Windows 8.1 Section. It appears Asus is not going to support Windows 10 for our notebooks. For a less than techy type window 10 may be more trouble than it worth. Keep reading all the Windows 10 threads here and elsewhere especially as some of the more techy type are posting how they have overcome the issues that come up. Windows 10 Forum (http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php)

TeamBMW
08-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Yes Clean Install mean you Start the install on a clean disk! you have to install all your hardware drivers and reinstall all your software.
Since you say, you haven't updated anything since you got this notebook. I was basing my reply assuming that you have updated all you hardware drivers. So you can go to Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)and download and install all the hard ware drivers there for your notebook. These are all Tested and approved drivers for your notebook. Since we are 2 generations back in technology we may have to find drivers that will work in windows 10 Some supplied by Microsoft may work some of the Windows 8.1 driver may work.
For you, you should look in the Windows 8.1 Section. It appears Asus is not going to support Windows 10 for our notebooks. For a less than techy type window 10 may be more trouble than it worth. Keep reading all the Windows 10 threads here and elsewhere especially as some of the more techy type are posting how they have overcome the issues that come up. Windows 10 Forum (http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php)

Hi again,

OK - I was kind of aware that the clean install is "all-over-from-new-once-again" - and of course it makes sense...

And yes, of course I updated drivers during the time I have had my G75 and all drivers should be up to date - though I have not looked into the Windows 8.1 drivers - so maybe I should take a look on this.

Today I actually went out looking for the new generation of the G-Series and I must say that I am quite close to go for an invenstment in a brand new notebook with latest i7 technology and of course SSD - then some of my kids can have my G75 afterwards when I have taken all my files onto the new notebook.

I have been looking for these two notebooks - but not yet decided which one it is going to be (if I will go the "easy way"

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JT/specifications/
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G501JW/specifications/

-joe-
08-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I have a G75VW, did the update route to 10 from 8.1. It went smooth and I hit the usual sound and function key bug. I got the sound working from user posts here but was unable to get the function key to work. My biggest draw back which ultimately led to rolling back to 8.1 is that Age of Mythology and Age of Wonders 3 would not boot. It seems every other game works fine and 10 was wonderful, but Microsoft games are not supported thoroughly. For a game that released in March, you would think it would scream on 10. Wonders simply would not load. MS tried to help on their community site but it all led to more troubleshooting than it was worth. Maybe in a year I will go back to 10, for now 8.1 works just fine for what I do.

Almighty1
08-15-2015, 08:05 PM
FaniRama,

Disabling Bluetooth

Saw this on tenforums as it seems the Microsoft Win10 bluetooth drivers don't have the bluetooth on/off switch and this is how you turn BT off:

Open Control Panel, click on Device Manager

OR

Right click on the Windows logo AKA the start button, select Run
Then type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager

Double click on your computer name (if it's not open already), double click on Bluetooth, right click on the Bluetooth Adapter then click Disable or Enable

This way you can stop and start the Bluetooth Adapter from searching for devices at your convenience.

As for Solitaire, there is also Minesweeper that's missing:
http://www.howtogeek.com/225128/you-dont-have-to-pay-20-a-year-for-solitaire-and-minesweeper-on-windows-10/

pka4916
08-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 on my SSD (G75-VX) and booting up was slower.
Even after login it took about 5-10 seconds before I saw my desktop.
Went back to Windows 8.1..
Install a new install on a blank SSD, and booting still sucks and still takes time before you can see the desktop.

(all the other drivers installed, only had to install the touchpad, so I could disable it... unless there is a way to disable it in the BIOS??) since I use a mouse..

Clintlgm
08-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Did you have fast boot turned on? its a little bit different in 10 you have choices. Since you are just installing it could be turned off since you will need several full complete reboots. Most of us keep it turned off so that we do get a complete full reboot every time shut down. Fast boot is Hybrid sleep. For the basic's of 10 check out the Tenforum (http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php) With an SSD boot times are so fast that fast boot is not needed.

skidoo
08-20-2015, 10:26 PM
g75vx with windows 10 upgrade so far so good.
I didn't have my window 8 key, due to the fact I had downgraded my NB to win 7 pro.
So, I decided to run a dual boot.
I kept win 7 , partitioned the c drive, used the public win 8.1 key to install a win 8 ISO.
Updated, than installed win 10 home...so far so good.
Not sure what I should be checking to see what isn't working, but I haven't crossed any problems so far.
Only Bluetooth needed to be installed after upgrade to 10.
I like 10, but I will be looking at shutting down some of the garbage they have put on there.

Clintlgm
08-21-2015, 02:21 AM
Yes Classic Shell helps a good deal with getting rid of the metro crap. You might check you software and insure that your Association are for your desktop program not the windows Apps.

I find edge pretty useless with out add one extensions. IE 11 seem to perform better on ten than it did on 8.1

srmojuze
08-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the tip regarding Asus ATK for Windows 10.

G55 here, unbelievably smooth upgrade process.

Did a clean install from retail Windows 8.1 disc, then chose the upgrade to Windows 10 straight away.

Elan trackpad auto installed too, maybe Nvidia driver auto-installed too.

So far so good.

Just remember to turn off all the privacy violating settings by Windows 10 etc.

Thanks ASUS for my 3rd year of this very enjoyable laptop.

Edit: On the Windows side probably, there is a glitch where the whole app is somewhat "blurry" (eg. iTunes). Probably a font/ scaling/ resolution issue.

skidoo
08-21-2015, 09:09 PM
yes, I use IE, forget the Edge.
Also, I did have to install the latest NVidia driver after upgrading to 10.
Sound works...still crappy however, ...probably the biggest complaint I have about the NB, otherwise I've been happy with it.

FaniRama
08-22-2015, 01:46 PM
After using Win 10 now, I am beginning to like it a lot over Win 7.

Many things are better. Gaming works as before on Win 7 without issues.

((
Also I had used this to just dust buster the dust and it made a staggering diff.

Max CPU before was: 98C with at least one core throttling down and game running very slow (GTA V)
Max GPU before was: 85C

Now, with newer Win 10 drivers and cleaner mobo/fans/outlets with hot summer 90F outside with no fans.
Max CPU is : 78C on GTA V with even higher settings
Max GPU is : 65C on GTA V with higher settings

So in fall and winter when it is lot more cooler it will lower max temps even more. Idle temps dropped to 35C GPU and 39-40C CPU
from like 60C GPU and 68-70C CPU.
))

Next stop is SSD for me for even more faster response from disk IO subsystem.

Overall, Windows 10 seems to be good and I will likely not revert back in the few remaining days I have to revert it.

AdelaisAer
08-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Upgraded my Asus G74SX-DH72 to Win 10. Most things work fine, but the audio is suffering (no loudness equalization, which makes things very difficult for me). I made a post here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74597-G74SX-DH72-Windows-10-Issue-Loudness-Equalization-MISSING&p=530687#post530687). If anyone can help me, it'd be appreciated.

Pinedition
08-24-2015, 11:07 AM
I also have a problem with Splendid installation. "Could not find ICM file, installer will be cancelled." Any ideas?

srmojuze
08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
OK it looks like Windows 10 display settings "125% text size" is not working right for a lot of apps. Setting it to 100% is fine.

Clintlgm
08-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Try installing in compatible mode!!

Pandur
08-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Everything is working fine on my G55VW. Except fastboot/secure boot is still broken just like in Windows 8.1. Black screen when Windows starts. If I turn off those functions everything works fine. So somebody at Asus messed something up in the uefi and have never bothered fixing it sadly.

Clintlgm
08-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Sounds as if your windows is installed MBR or 32 bit neither of which support Secure boot. I suggest you Clean Install to fix this. for win 10 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, for win 8.1 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)for drivers, I don't think Asus has put up any for windows 10 so you'll have to get by on what ever windows 10 supplies.

If you need a step by step Tutorial look here in the eightforum (http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=install+UEFI) for win 8.1
The tenforum (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/) for window 10
And the SevenForum (http://www.sevenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3Ahfslqp-2rmq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Install+UEFI)for windows 7 in UEFI

Gianfrancesco
08-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Salve, dopo l'aggiornamento a windows 10 non mi funziona la luminosità dello schermo!!!! cosa posso fare?

Pandur
08-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Sounds as if your windows is installed MBR or 32 bit neither of which support Secure boot. I suggest you Clean Install to fix this. for win 10 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, for win 8.1 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)for drivers, I don't think Asus has put up any for windows 10 so you'll have to get by on what ever windows 10 supplies.

If you need a step by step Tutorial look here in the eightforum (http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=install+UEFI) for win 8.1
The tenforum (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/) for window 10
And the SevenForum (http://www.sevenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3Ahfslqp-2rmq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Install+UEFI)for windows 7 in UEFI

Well, as a computer engineer I know how this works. It'ss a bug in Asus' firmware that's never been fixed. It's not the faulty magnet error that's been pushed around as the reason either. The magnet in my computer is working perfectly.

Clintlgm
08-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Well you completely lost me now, I understood your post to be that you were unable to turn on Secure Boot and still boot your notebook. What that would have to do with a bug in firmware or Magnet I have no Idea. As I said secure boot is not supported in win7, 8 32 bit or BIOS MBR install of 8 or 10. Were here in the older G Notebooks, Asus so far is not supporting the G55 G46 or G75 for windows 10. Since your a computer engineer I guess you already know that. Still with the symptoms you describe it sound like your installed BIOS MBR or your running a 32 bit version of 8 or 10 neither support Secure boot. I apologies for not being able to help you perhaps someone else will jump in with the correct answer.

You might want to PM rewben he had a G55 and is very switched on I haven't seen him post lately but he might have an answer for you or a better explanation?

zsanfusa
08-26-2015, 08:02 PM
My advice; wait six months until the bugs are ironed out

pka4916
08-26-2015, 11:41 PM
this is my experience :(

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74760-Clean-Windows-10-Sucks-for-G75VW

Simba7
08-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Working great here. Had some experimentation, but I think I have most of the bugs ironed out.

MGSBoca
09-10-2015, 01:42 PM
I've had the windows 10 upgrade icon for weeks and weeks now. There have recently been a large series of updates to the 7 OS, perhaps my invitation will be forthcoming. As things stand at the mo', the win 10 invite indicates we are still validating you computer and as soon as....... you know the rest <G>. I'm in no hurry to upgrade.. I have Win 10 successfully installed on a reasonably high-end desktop but there are a good number of bugs; one off-hand: the visuals are such that all the windows are white and I can't find search panels ,etc. Anyway, I'm not sure I want to upgrade to 10....we need a service pack on this one I think, I'm quite annoyed with Micro$oft...They had the preview releases out for some time, and they still release a "final" version of 10 to the masses as ready-to-run. Beta to my way of thinking. There seem to be three or four steps required to accomplish tasks that took one or two in Win 7.. Cortana can take a hike as far as I'm concerned....and the privacy issues are there, but there are work-arounds as long as you are savvy enough to find them. Strange thing, since I'm not a paranoid person, I just don't trust the product. So...has anyone actually received the "upgrade is ready " on the G75VW , or have you all downloaded the ISO and the media creation tool and taken your chances?

hancor
09-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Breathing new life into a reliable laptop. I upgraded the G74Sx bios to 2.04 per Clarkis117 thread.
Bios update was flawless per EZ Flash instructions.

Added 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (4 x 8GB) and Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB.

Updated Windows 7 Ultimate all latest patches and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
Installed the latest Intel Chipset v 10.1.2.10 along with Fresco USB utility 3.6.8.0 & NVidia driver v355.82.
Result: Runs like a champ!

Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA ACHI Controller v12.9.0.1001

Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth needs driver update, but the Qualcomm Atheros Client Installation Program 10.0 has
kept the WiFi connection running smoothly.

Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless driver v10.0.0.324

Realtek LAN driver v10.3.723.2015

Realtek HD Audio driver v6.0.1.7553

ASUS USB 2.0 Webcam using installed Windows 10 driver
Sentelic Finger Sensing Pad v9.4.9.5
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader v10.0.10125.31214

Wishing you all much SUCCESS!

Clintlgm
09-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Well yes the upgrade has actually down loaded and was ready to install on my G75VW. I block the download from installing. removed several win 8.1 updates. and then deleted the upgrade files. Then hide the upgrade in updates so that I hopefully never have to deal with it again. As you can see from reading this thread and a few other there are issues with 10 on this model. Most can be overcome however for me I'll wait for SP 1 or SP 2 before I'll put it on my G75.
If you really want 10 on your notebook just go download the ISO or build the Install USB from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. The best way to run the upgrade is from inside window 7 or 8. Look in explore for the USB drive and open it. Select the setup.exe and run the upgrade. Make sure you have read this thread and other and insure you have the correct drivers to install and all the tweaks you'll need to preform to have 10 run smoothly.
the windows 10 Forum (http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php)is very handy for working out windows issues

skidoo
09-11-2015, 01:30 AM
Biggest Problem I had was not with my G75...
It was with my home PC....
I have a Radeon HD 4800, now I find out after installing Windows 10, that the card is not supported by ATI/ ADM, with any sort of driver.
So, no way to use the Catalyst Software etc, and my daughter can't play Minecraft very long until the game freezes up.
Was never a problem in the Vista platform.
So, be aware of that, if you didn't know.
Ironically, Nvidia supports many of there older cards for Win 10, cards that are even several years older than mine when it was launched.
The Nvidia drive might be a bit of a sudo driver for those older cards, as the older cards don't have some of the architecture needed
to run true in Win 10. ( I am not technical, but you can read up on it.
So, goodbye ADm, I will now only support Nvidia, even if there are better deals on AMD...price to performance value.
Atleast, Nvidia has made an effort...

Pandur
09-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Update on the graphics issues with G55VW in fast boot/secure boot mode: It works fine before I install the Nvidia drivers in both W8.1 and W10.
My guess is that the way Asus have disabled the iGPU on these laptops is not working properly after W8. Once the Optimus aware drivers are installed they try to enable the iGPU during boot and the result is a black screen in W8.1 and a black screen with artifacts in W10. Luckily this only happens if you try to boot in UEFI mode.

Almighty1
09-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Breathing new life into a reliable laptop. I upgraded the G74Sx bios to 2.04 per Clarkis117 thread.
Bios update was flawless per EZ Flash instructions.

Added 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (4 x 8GB) and Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB.

Updated Windows 7 Ultimate all latest patches and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
Installed the latest Intel Chipset v 10.1.2.10 along with Fresco USB utility 3.6.8.0 & NVidia driver v355.82.
Result: Runs like a champ!

Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA ACHI Controller v12.9.0.1001

Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth needs driver update, but the Qualcomm Atheros Client Installation Program 10.0 has kept the WiFi connection running smoothly.

Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless driver v10.0.0.324

Realtek LAN driver v10.3.723.2015

Realtek HD Audio driver v6.0.1.7553

ASUS USB 2.0 Webcam using installed Windows 10 driver
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader v10.0.10125.31214

Wishing you all much SUCCESS!

Upgraded the G74SX BIOS to 2.04, didn't realize anything new other than what was already mentioned in the thread.

Was wondering where you got the following driver(s) as I know Windows installed it on it's own from a older version I had installed but I never found the drivers separately for 9.4.9.5:

I was able to find 9.5.0.3 on Microsoft Update Catalog.

For the others, these are more updated and working on my system:

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Version 11.0.0.1163 WHQL
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1723&lang=en

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 12.9.4.1000 WHQL
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=startdown&id=687&lang=en

Qualcomm/Atheros Bluetooth Suite Version 10.0.1.2 WHQL - I thought it was drivers only but the installer says Bluetooth Suite but the installer says Bluetooth Suite which is 8.0MB in size, Bluetooth Suite 8.0.1.336 was 189MB in size
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=1721&lang=en

Qualcomm/Atheros Wireless Lan Drivers Version 10.0.0.326 WHQL
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=1742&lang=en

Realtek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7610 WHQL with Waves MaxxAudio
ftp://spcust:hwwk758z@ftp3.realtek.com.tw/Realtek/7610_PG435_Win10_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL_MaxxAudio%2 0Installer%202.6.6448.1_MUP.zip

Realtek LAN Driver 10.3.723.2015 (August 24, 2015 update)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Also see my earlier post in this thread for ASUS specific software/drivers.

ivanr
01-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Upgraded the G74SX BIOS to 2.04, didn't realize anything new other than what was already mentioned in the thread.
For the others, these are more updated and working on my system:
Qualcomm/Atheros Bluetooth Suite Version 10.0.1.2 WHQL
Qualcomm/Atheros Wireless Lan Drivers Version 10.0.0.326
Realtek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7610 WHQL with Waves MaxxAudio
Also see my earlier post in this thread for ASUS specific software/drivers.

Hi guys, many of these drivers are outdated.
All the latest drivers can be found here:
Latest ASUS drivers for Windows 10 - Official links (http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/)

skidoo
01-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Hi guys, many of these drivers are outdated.
All the latest drivers can be found here:
Latest ASUS drivers for Windows 10 - Official links (http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/)

looks like a great page!
Do you know if most of these are good for a G75VX model?
Granted, you have to select the right driver for the right hardware etc.
Just wanting to hear from people who know or have tried them on a G75vx.
Thanks for posting the link

Almighty1
01-08-2016, 06:12 AM
Thanks, Looks like a good page except everything other than ASUS's own drivers i.e. ATK, USB Charger Plus are also outdated as well. The latest USB Charger Plus that works with the G74SX is 2.0.8, 4.1.6 doesn't work as I posted about previously. Realtek Audio is actually at 7709 already as of yesterday and this one is a ASUS driver. I no longer use the Qualcomm/Atheros WLAN/BT as I replaced it with a Intel AC7260. The Realtek LAN Ethernet is old too as I've had 10.6.1001 which means October 6, 2015 driver since November 18, 2015. The Splendid won't work on the G74SX as it doesn't have the required profiles so have to use the old version 1.02.0040. Realtek Card Reader drivers are actually old as the current one is 10.0.10240.31220. The latest Sentelic touchpad drivers are actually on Windows Update Catalog. Will need to look at it some more later.

Update: For the G74SX, the ATK is new and works, the Power4Gear Hybrid is new and works, the ASUS Live Update is new and works only if you uninstall the old version first manually, otherwise it will crash when you run it. The other drivers as mentioned above has newer versions elsewhere. The missing driver is always the one for the webcam as it seems there can be many companies making the webcam even for the same model computer and by luck, windows will use a generic driver.

Clintlgm
01-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Well yes Asus does not support window 10 in any of the notebooks before the G750, so were all left to find drivers that will allow most hardware to function somewhat at least! It appears to me that these drivers worked for at least the poster and his notebook.
While many older desktops are running 10 pretty well it is not the same for notebooks. We have issues with drivers on brand new notebooks and especially Gaming notebooks. So if you are insistent on running Window 10 on your older notebook all you can do is read these thread and post from users that are successfully running 10 and try the same things they have done. Most have tried several drivers from different sources to find the ones that will work satisfactorily for them.