PDA

View Full Version : Asus g74sx BBk7 media recovery

Thanatos
12-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Hey I just recently bought a G74sx BBK7 from someone who had only had it a few months yet I was unable to get the media recovery disks that originally came with it. Is it possible to purchase a copy of the system software from someplace? I know windows 7 does not come with and I'm not having any issues with the system, but should something come up I will be dead in the water. I'm in the process of backing p everything but I would like the software just in case. Any info would be awesome! Thanks !

tkd_ron
12-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Unless the previous owner repartitioned the c : drive there is a 25gb restore partition there that will take the laptop back to out of the box setup, I believe it can be started by pressing f 9 at boot up at least that is how my bbk7 was setup.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 08:32 AM
I was unable to get the media recovery disks that originally came with it.
You didn't miss anything....virtually no computers come with recovery disks or a copy of Windows anymore. (Cheap!!) Asus laptops certainly don't.

I'm in the process of backing p everything but I would like the software just in case. Any info would be awesome! Thanks !
As mentioned, there is a 25Gb recovery partition on the hard drive (unless the previous owner deleted it). So long as that partition is intact, you can use it to do a factory restore, using the F9 method. (I'm surprised the previous owner didn't do that before selling it....maybe he did.)

But if you want an "external" copy of it, for safekeeping, use the AI Recovery program to make a set of DVD recovery disks. This set of disks is a copy of the partition, and can be used to restore the computer to its out-of-the-box software setup if the recovery partition is lost or corrupted.

williadw1955
05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I want to recover to factory defaults..from the recovery partition on the drive. So.. pressing F9 get the options below.

Recover Windows to first partition only.
This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions, and create a new system partition as drive C.

Recover Windows to entire HD.
This option will delete all partitions from your hard disk drive and create a new system partition as drive C.

Recover Windows to entire HD with 2 partition.
This option will delete all partitions from your hard drive and create two new partitions C (60%) and D (40%).
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery process.

-----------

But my laptop has the 1st drive with 2 partitions.. the 1st partition is the recovery partition and the second partition on the disk is the 'C' drive. So if I take the above LITERALLY, none of the above seem viable.

Option 1 will delete the recovery partition..
Option 2 will also delete the recovery partition
Option 3 will also delete the recovery partition.

Where is the option that says ' Recover C to second partition of HD and leave recovery partition intact'

I am sure one of the above does that, but which one it is .. is unclear.

dstrakele
05-25-2012, 07:52 PM
The Recovery Partition is hidden and will not get overwritten - no matter which option you choose.

I recommend choosing Option 1 - Recover Windows to the 1st Partition Only. This will completely overwrite the OS partition {remember, the Recovery Partition doesn't count because it's hidden), so backup any important files that you've stored on the OS partition.

williadw1955
05-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks much!

Doing this now and seems to be working fine.

QUOTE=dstrakele;109447]The Recovery Partition is hidden and will not get overwritten - no matter which option you choose.

I recommend choosing Option 1 - Recover Windows to the 1st Partition Only. This will completely overwrite the OS partition {remember, the Recovery Partition doesn't count because it's hidden), so backup any important files that you've stored on the OS partition.[/QUOTE]

dstrakele
05-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Be patient, the laptop will reboot several times before the restore process is completed. It's important not to interrupt it until it's finished.