PDA

View Full Version : Bigfoot Killer 1102 Driver Confusion / Intel RST Q

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Hey guys,

Just noticed something strange on my g53sx. I installed a Bigfoot Killer 1102 in laptop and I installed the latest Killer driver (6.1.0.219). However, when I check device manager -> network adapters, 1) there are 2 adapters (Killer Wireless and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) 2) the driver version for the killer adapter is 9.2.0.318. Also, when I right click -> about the Bigfoot Network Manager, I see 9.2.0.318 as the driver version and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller as the Card Version. Is this supposed to happen or did I install an incorrect driver or something?

Also, on the bottom right-hand corner of my laptop, I see an icon that says that Intel RST service is not running. I installed the latest driver from the sticky thread (Thank you JR) and I changed it from Automatic (delayed) to Automatic in services.msc. If I try to open up IAStorUI (guessing this is Intel RST), I get "IAStorUI has stopped working."

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 04:45 AM
when I check device manager -> network adapters, 1) there are 2 adapters (Killer Wireless and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) 2) the driver version for the killer adapter is 9.2.0.318. Also, when I right click -> about the Bigfoot Network Manager, I see 9.2.0.318 as the driver version and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller as the Card Version. Is this supposed to happen or did I install an incorrect driver or something?

"Killer WIreless" is your new Killer WLAN card
"Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" is your integrated LAN (ethernet) adapter

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Thank you, Brody. Guessing I won't need to reinstall the killer drivers then. Any thoughts on the intel rst? i uninstalled the driver in control panel -> programs, but it won't let me reinstall it now. Getting an error: setup program failed to install one or more device drivers. DLed the driver from JR's sticky thread. =(

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 04:54 AM
Is the one in JR's thread direct from Intel? So that after the download, you have the executable installer file iata_enu_10.8.0.1003?

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Yes, I have that one. Man, I'm going crazy. I uninstalled that version. Reinstalled the version from the driver cd and it looks like it's installed on my laptop (icon is still in bottom right corner, off), but now it's no longer in services.msc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RST is Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> Intel (R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller, right?

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 05:17 AM
It's a driver for that device. It's not actually required in most systems, since the 6 Series Chipset Controller already has a SATA controller driver. But some have reported improved SSD performance with the RST installed.

In that Properties Windows for the SATA AHCI Controller, look and see what's listed under the driver tab.

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Under device manager, the driver version is 10.5.0.1026 (what is found on the ASUS drivers cd). However, under control panel -> uninstall program, it is version 10.8.0.1003. Also, now when I open the app, I see "Intel RST is trying to connect to the service." Is there any way I can just uninstall this and reinstall it?

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Under device manager, the driver version is 10.5.0.1026 (what is found on the ASUS drivers cd). However, under control panel -> uninstall program, it is version 10.8.0.1003. Also, now when I open the app, I see "Intel RST is trying to connect to the service." Is there any way I can just uninstall this and reinstall it?
That first driver is the Intel Chipset Driver, v. 10.5.0.1026. The one you see in Control Panel, v.10.8.0.103, is the IRST.

You can't uninstall the whole RST driver as easily as you can other programs (because that could potentially make the system drive inaccessible). As I understand it, the uninstall routine only removes the non-critical parts of the driver, like the user interface. So I'm not sure how much good that'll do you.

You can try re-installing with an overwrite flag.

In the folder where the installer file is located, click on empty space.
Shift + R-click, then select "Open Command window" from the pop-up menu.
In the Command Window, type "iata_enu_10.8.0.1003 -overwrite -NoIRSTGUI" (without the quotation marks). Hit enter. This instructs the installer to overwrite an existing instance, and disables the user interface.
Reboot.

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 05:56 AM
No dice. After I click yes to allow the program to make changes to my computer, I run into the same error: The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers

Huh. Weird. Even though I got that error, I see Intel RST 10.8.0.1003 under control panel -> uninstall programs.

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Can you do a Windows System Restore to a time before you first installed the Intel RST driver?

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Hmmm, sorry. I'm at a bit of a loss, then. I've never had problems with that driver, so I haven't had to do any serious troubleshooting with it.

Is it causing any other problems aside from the icon telling you the service isn't running? If your system runs fine without it, I'd be tempted to just disable it.

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 06:08 AM
I thought Intel Rapid Storage Technology was only necessary if you were using it for their specific implementation of software RAID. Am I mistaken?

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Can't system restore. Disabled per Black Viper's Windows 7 tweaks. Thanks a lot, Brody. I really appreciate all of the help. It's not causing any problems. I've gone ahead and taken it out of start up in msconfig.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 06:14 AM
I thought Intel Rapid Storage Technology was only necessary if you were using it for their specific implementation of software RAID. Am I mistaken?
They claim that it also offers "performance enhancements" for non-RAID systems. But JR's report that it helped his SSD performance is the only time I've ever actually heard of it making any difference. As I mentioned earlier, the 6 Series Chipset already has a SATA driver.

I routinely include it with clean installs these days, but then, I've never had any issues with it. (I use the version directly from Intel and I never install the GUI.) If I'd experienced any of these complications with icons and such, I wouldn't bother with it.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Can't system restore. Disabled per Black Viper's Windows 7 tweaks. Thanks a lot, Brody. I really appreciate all of the help. It's not causing any problems. I've gone ahead and taken it out of start up in msconfig.
You're welcome...sorry we didn't find a "cleaner" resolution. But taking it out start-up should do the trick.

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 06:27 AM
That first driver is the Intel Chipset Driver, v. 10.5.0.1026. The one you see in Control Panel, v.10.8.0.103, is the IRST.

Brody, this isn't the intel chipset driver. It's the RST. When I uninstall this, suddenly 4 things pop up under device manager -> IDE...Controllers. Also, going to properties -> driver -> driver details shows c:\windows\system32\drivers\iaStor.sys. This is the driver found on the ASUS driver cd included w/ the laptop. Weird thing with this driver is that I don't see anything under control panel -> uninstall programs, nor do I see the service in services.msc.

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I found this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-86687-1 states:

"This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with NativeCommand Queuing."

and

"Fix/Enhancement: Enhances the performance of large hard drives (750 GB or larger). "

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 06:36 AM
I found this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-86687-1 states:

"This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with NativeCommand Queuing."

and

"Fix/Enhancement: Enhances the performance of large hard drives (750 GB or larger). "

Should I DL this? Here's my current situation. I believe that the driver is installed (the older one from the ASUS drivers CD, 10.5), and I've got the new version (10.8) showing up under control panel -> uninstall programs.

Edit. Wow. So I followed this http://communities.intel.com/message/88689#88689 to create the service, and lo and behold, the app opens up. However, I'm still getting the install error when I try to install 10.8 (yes, it's still under control panel -> uninstall programs though).

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Brody, this isn't the intel chipset driver. It's the RST. When I uninstall this, suddenly 4 things pop up under device manager -> IDE...Controllers. Also, going to properties -> driver -> driver details shows c:\windows\system32\drivers\iaStor.sys. This is the driver found on the ASUS driver cd included w/ the laptop. Weird thing with this driver is that I don't see anything under control panel -> uninstall programs, nor do I see the service in services.msc.
OKay...the driver number looks like a chipset version to me, but I'll take your word for it. So there are two versions of IRST on board? I'm guessing that first one, then, was sourced from Asus (maybe the original one on your drivers disk?).

If iastor.sys is listed as the driver for your SATA AHCI controller, then the IRST is properly installed. So it sounds like that first one....which I mis-identified and ignored as your chipset driver...OOPS!....was an older version that was getting in the way. Does that fit with wht you are seeing?

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 06:45 AM
OKay...the driver number looks like a chipset version to me, but I'll take your word for it. So there are two versions of IRST on board? I'm guessing that first one, then, was sourced from Asus (maybe the original one on your drivers disk?).

If iastor.sys is listed as the driver for your SATA AHCI controller, then the IRST is properly installed. So it sounds like that first one....which I mis-identified and ignored as your chipset driver...OOPS!....was an older version that was getting in the way. Does that fit with wht you are seeing?

I think so, but as of right now, I have the old version appearing under device manager, the new version appearing under control panel -> uninstall programs and everything looks like it's working after I created the service and started it. I have the green check on the bottom-right icon now and the application opens.

Guess my question now is...should I be concerned that the two versions don't match up? lol.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Guess my question now is...should I be concerned that the two versions don't match up? lol.
Not if it works! lol! I could be totally wrong, of course, but I'm thinking perhaps the actual driver (iastor.sys) may be one version, and the GUI stuff, which is an optional supplement to the driver, may be from another version/installer. It's only the GUI parts that you can uninstall in Control Panel.

mylasthope
12-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Not if it works! lol! I could be totally wrong, of course, but I'm thinking perhaps the actual driver (iastor.sys) may be one version, and the GUI stuff, which is an optional supplement to the driver, may be from another version/installer. It's only the GUI parts that you can uninstall in Control Panel.

Haha. Awesome. Honestly, I'm not even sure what it does for my laptop other than you mentioning it speeds up SSDs (hope it does since its my main drive), but I'm happy to be finally be done messing around with it. :)