PDA

View Full Version : G74SX - A gaming laptop? And a question or two.

City Builder
12-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Hi,

I replaced my aging laptop that I've had for more than 5 years now with a new G74SX, basically in the small town that I live in, best buy is the only shop in town, and the sales person said that this is the laptop that he has and he games Battlefield 3 in ultra settings to about 80fps. Sounded good to me, even if Battlefield games are not the type of games that I play.

But for those that own this laptop... Would you buy it again knowing what you now know of the G74sx?

Now on to my issue with it...

Just bought today.
2nd hard drive was already bad. It initially allowed me to install some programs on it like Steam and a game or two, but when I tried to play the game it would error out. The error that I can't remember what it was exactly, when googled indicated that it's likely that there is a problem with the hard drive.

Well, it just got worse and worse until I couldn't really access that drive or when it would, it would take like 5 minutes to do so.
So, I removed the drive and windows is now acting normal as it normally should.

Does anybody know if Asus allows customers to RMA just a hard drive back to them, or will I need to send the entire laptop back?

I guess if I need to send the entire thing back I'd rather just spend $60.00 to buy another hdd from someplace online.

Anyway, was in love with this laptop when I brought it home, now... not so much. Hoping to hear encouraging words from owners about their G74Sx and using it to play games, use for work etc.

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 05:42 AM
I use mine for work and play. If it continues to run as it does now, I will be happy and consider it a good purchase. But I will definitely be researching other brands when I replace this laptop after reading about all the problems other ASUS laptop owners are having.

Since you just purchased, I'd recommend contacting your retailer to see if they will exchange your laptop for a new unit. Let ASUS worry about the faulty HDD.

City Builder
12-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention that it was the only one in stock. Perhaps they could order up another one for me, although that might take just as long as RMA'ing the drive back to Asus. Hmm, I guess if they won't allow me to just RMA the hdd back to them I'll just buy another one and call it a day.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Since you just purchased, I'd recommend contacting your retailer to see if they will exchange your laptop for a new unit. Let ASUS worry about the faulty HDD.
+1 I'd take that a step further.....

Return the Best Buy unit, and order a new one from Amazon. Because of the problems mentioned, I would want the very best warranty possible on one of these laptops. The units purchased from Best Buy are not eligible for the added warranty features that you get through other retailers like Amazon.

PS: Don't RMA it to Asus. Once you initiate that process....you OWN that particular unit. What if it's a lemon? What if it has a history BB didn't tell you about (or maybe they don't even know about)? I don't want to take permanent ownership of a defective product.....I want to start with one that's perfectly functional.

They won't let you RMA just the drive.

City Builder
12-16-2011, 05:54 AM
I may not be reading the amazon page correctly, but it's showing me a price like this:

Price: $1,899.00

Which is about $700.00 more than it costs at best buy.

Am I on the wrong page at amazon for the G74sx?

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 05:56 AM
There are many configurations of this model....they range in price from ~$1000 to over $2000. You need to find the exact configuration you want.

What configuration (G74SX-xxxx?) did you get at BB?

City Builder
12-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Ahh, okay thanks

City Builder
12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
There are many configurations of this model....they range in price from ~$1000 to over $2000. You need to find the exact configuration you want.

What configuration (G74SX-xxxx?) did you get at BB?

Ummm, not sure, BBK8? 1ATY?

kb0sdq
12-16-2011, 10:08 PM
If you have the box you will see the model and other info on the side of the box

City Builder
12-16-2011, 10:12 PM
The model just shows G74S, the BBK8 and 1ATY are also written after the model in a couple places on the box which is why I listed those, since the area on the box sticker that states explicitly as the Model shows only G74S

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 10:31 PM
The model just shows G74S, the BBK8 and 1ATY are also written after the model in a couple places on the box which is why I listed those, since the area on the box sticker that states explicitly as the Model shows only G74S
You can quickly see which basic features it has (many just by looking at that big sticker on the palmrest).....I'm guessing the Super-Multi DVD drive, 8Gb RAM, 128-bit GeForce 560M, one or two 500Gb HDDs, etc. I don't know what resolution those models have...it's going to be 1920x1080 or 1600x900.

So if you want a model with similar specs, browse the options at Amazon and find the closest you can find. Or better yet, actually choose the options you'd prefer and then find THAT configuration.

In any event, I still think you should reject an apparently defective-out-of-the-box computer, even if you get the replacement from Best Buy.

kb0sdq
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
yea the bbk8 is the one you want it is up after p/n# G73SX-BBK8
Mine did not get a sticker on the palmrest. Thought it was cause it was from Bestbuy

frewi
12-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Personally i would buy it again knowing this laptop (but only if available smaller )