PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Upgrade experiences

Maxter
07-30-2015, 05:28 PM
I would like to know what are your experiences with Windows 10 upgrade. I went from 8 to 8.1 with no issues at all. I'm thinking of going to Win 10 now. I had troubles with my Desktop at home and had to do a clean install.
Laptop is work computer, so I want to make an educated decision before "clicking" (I'm sure some people can relate and use this thread for their decision as well).

Cheers!

kelhawk
07-30-2015, 07:50 PM
I has an issue with my WiFi and Network drivers on my G750JW so I reverted back to Windows 8.1 for now. The "Go Back" option worked just fine.

crazybmanp
07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Upgrade went well hardware wise on my 750JH, only 2 problems.

1. my user profile had all of its data stored on the D drive, so windows threw a fit and sent me to a temporary profile for a while. After restarting, this fixed itself, it went back to OOBE and then everything worked properly.

2. Only hardware issue: maxxaudio is gone, i am still hoping this will be fixed somehow, but at least my audio settings were put to a good level before i did the upgrade.

Cryptoxic
07-31-2015, 04:07 AM
I did the upgrade and everything worked fine except for the Touchpad's smart gestures. So I just uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and they worked again. On a G56JR btw.

Just remember to run disk cleanup to remove the windows.old folder because it eats up at least 20GB of your space if you do a upgrade rather than a clean install.

Nillaz
07-31-2015, 05:25 AM
I had no issues on the upgrade with a G750JW. Everything works surprisingly well.

Wish I could say the same with my desktop...

kelhawk
07-31-2015, 11:51 AM
So you didn't have any issues with WiFi drivers or Ethernet drivers? Did you have reinstall after upgrade?

raoul duke
07-31-2015, 01:12 PM
My G750JM runs much smoother with Win 10 upgrade and the boot time has been decreased dramatically.

Nillaz
07-31-2015, 01:48 PM
So you didn't have any issues with WiFi drivers or Ethernet drivers? Did you have reinstall after upgrade?

None. Everything works exactly as intended. I did not do a clean install after the upgrade.

sevymar
07-31-2015, 05:35 PM
*Update: After deleting the realtek driver in device manager the sound got better.. i guess i have to do it like that for now.

no big issues, just the sound through my headsets sound flat & no bass...
When i change the audio playback device to realtek it's just silent. :(

Maxter
08-03-2015, 05:05 AM
I have the G750JW. I went for the upgrade. After it was done, all I had to do was re-install the sound drivers (from the ASUS website), and uninstall the touchpad smart gestures and add the new version for Win10 (also from the ASUS website).
That's it!
To those of you trying to install old software (pre-vista kind), I noticed that Cortana stops the start up of the 32-bit installer. So begin install, and start killing the Cortana process (it'll keep coming back). The 32-bit installer will start all of a sudden. I've also seen the same issue with Logitech software. weird...

Darnassus
08-03-2015, 07:56 AM
All I can say is FORGET Windows 10. As far as I'm aware it's still a Beta. Wait another month or two before changing over.. loads of stuff is still screwing up, and many companies need time to update all their programs.

Microsoft themselves need to fix how NVidia Drivers install as well..

gnorin
08-07-2015, 03:26 AM
So far the only thing that does not work is that my G750JW cannot recognize my 5 Ghz wifi which was working fine with with Win8.1. I updated my broadcom adapter driver to no avail

Korth
08-07-2015, 03:40 AM
No technical issues for me, upgrading Win7 to Win10 on an X99/R5E system. Drivers and hardware all work, apps and games all work. Although I did notice a clean-from-disc install is more lightweight and responsive. But I dislike Win10 for all the same reasons I dislike Win8.x - and now I gotta register on Microsoft's stupid Windows Apps Store to get my Minesweeper? - and I was still getting lower fps on some games/benchmarks, so I've gone back to Win7.

Not seeing it as an upgrade until driver support matures and DX12 games become mainstream. And I'm hoping somebody will make a "Win7 classic" GIU mod for Win10 by then, lol.

Maxter
08-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Well... I found myself with constant Kernel Mode error from nVidia driver. It only happened when the computer was plugged in and not when the computer was on battery mode (G750JW). It was so useless that I had to revert to Win 8 (then upgrade to 8.1). So sad...

@Darnassus you're right. Beta... at least for many laptops, as I read about this same issue. But my desktop at home works flawlessly with it, so it makes me sad I can't have it everywhere...

FalconFX
08-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Just got some courage and upgraded my JH to Win8.1, i had some wifi issues and the latest driver only works on 8.1, but yeah seems everything is good for now :)

Maxter
08-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Just got some courage and upgraded my JH to Win8.1, i had some wifi issues and the latest driver only works on 8.1, but yeah seems everything is good for now :)

which iteration of the ROG you got there? what video card comes with it?
I've been following the nVidia and Microsoft forums. I'm starting to lean to nVidia not being able to support the latest video cards available... (talking about 600, 700, 800 and 900 series). Seems like many people with the 600 and 700 series have similar issues to me

AlexF
08-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Hi:

I tried almost 10 times the Windows 10 update from W8.1 and it has not been possible.

The best couple of attempts when booting showed an instantly black screen with a Circle of W10 but then it went back to W8.1

I must say that now I am tired and with all that I have read it seems that would be better to wait until those "Launching Issues" can be solved.

Regards.

Twiggy
08-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Upgraded to Windows 10 not too long ago on my G56JR. It mostly works fine, though, aside from the recommended-by-Asus ATK Package and Smart Gesture driver reinstallation (some extra work is OK), there's still the problem of Wi-Fi drivers. Specifically, how it gets a see-saw-y speed...it peaks, and then plummets, then goes back up, and does that all over again, again, and again. Sure is making things slower than it should be. Don't seem to be a problem with the router, as every other 2.4/5 GHz 802.11n device were able to get consistent speeds of 60 and 120 Mbps respectively.

What gives?

Hmm, it appears to be related to some other software on the same computer that makes use of the network connection... and it not playing nice with the OS and driver combination. It's the TP-LINK USB Printer Controller (something that can make a printer connected to the router appear as if directly connected to the PC).

Either way, I think I'll roll back to 8.1 for now... I don't want to deal with things not working quite right for now.

thunderbird
08-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Hi, G750JS

Upgrade to Windows 10, no problems so far. I then did a completely clean install of Win10, downloaded latest Nvidia Drivers and all working really well so far!

Seems very stable. Downloaded Intel XTU and dropped CPU volts as well. Early days, so we'll see how it goes.

FalconFX
08-11-2015, 04:51 PM
which iteration of the ROG you got there? what video card comes with it?
I've been following the nVidia and Microsoft forums. I'm starting to lean to nVidia not being able to support the latest video cards available... (talking about 600, 700, 800 and 900 series). Seems like many people with the 600 and 700 series have similar issues to me

As i said its a G750JH comes with 780M, but since the upgrade everything is working fine so i dont know what problems you mean concerning the nvidia support :)

Maxter
08-11-2015, 09:25 PM
As i said its a G750JH comes with 780M, but since the upgrade everything is working fine so i dont know what problems you mean concerning the nvidia support :)
That it works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone... The latest in the threads is that the nVidia HDMI within sound options could be a culprit. Disabling it provides a stable working environment for many (haven't tested it myself yet).
The problem seems to be TDR from windows 10 and nVidia drivers response. They are not working in sync, so it keeps collapsing. Most people see it as a Kernel Mode crash or straight up DLL driver crash or some people don't see anything but a BSOD or a re-start loop with flickering screen.
The forums are now reporting all video cards involved, so it seems to not be specific to a computer type, rather, its configuration. And if you have Sli, you're SOL.

FalconFX
08-11-2015, 09:38 PM
That it works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone... The latest in the threads is that the nVidia HDMI within sound options could be a culprit. Disabling it provides a stable working environment for many (haven't tested it myself yet).
The problem seems to be TDR from windows 10 and nVidia drivers response. They are not working in sync, so it keeps collapsing. Most people see it as a Kernel Mode crash or straight up DLL driver crash or some people don't see anything but a BSOD or a re-start loop with flickering screen.
The forums are now reporting all video cards involved, so it seems to not be specific to a computer type, rather, its configuration. And if you have Sli, you're SOL.

I see, i didnt upgrade to win10 for these types of things, my computer is for work, so i cant afford the frustration and time wasted on troubleshooting such problems, i probably wont be upgrading in the next year or so, until it's rock solid :)

Maxter
08-11-2015, 11:28 PM
I see, i didnt upgrade to win10 for these types of things, my computer is for work, so i cant afford the frustration and time wasted on troubleshooting such problems, i probably wont be upgrading in the next year or so, until it's rock solid :)

I'm on the same boat, but I went risky and failed miserably. I'm back to 8.1. You might be correct into waiting for the update... Imma be waiting too now. Cheers!

FalconFX
08-11-2015, 11:44 PM
I'm on the same boat, but I went risky and failed miserably. I'm back to 8.1. You might be correct into waiting for the update... Imma be waiting too now. Cheers!

Atleast they have the roll back feature, otherwise it would have been a different story :(

rob54613
08-12-2015, 08:01 AM
I upgraded my 870 g750js without too much problems. Aside from the audio driver issue my upgrade from the insider preview to full windows 10 was fine. Was nice to not have to reinstall everything with a clean install (2.75 GB of internal storage) in case something messed up. So happy I move on from those single bed laptops. :-)

I have only a small issue where windows reset my power settings to default to sleep on lid close and when it wakes it has a tdr error and needs a restart, I'm guessing that's linked to those gfx errors others have been talking about. Hope its fixed with new drivers.

Symho
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Hi forum!

Hi have signed my upgrade but I don't had receved. Why?

Maxter
08-12-2015, 02:59 PM
I upgraded my 870 g750js without too much problems. Aside from the audio driver issue my upgrade from the insider preview to full windows 10 was fine. Was nice to not have to reinstall everything with a clean install (2.75 GB of internal storage) in case something messed up. So happy I move on from those single bed laptops. :-)

I have only a small issue where windows reset my power settings to default to sleep on lid close and when it wakes it has a tdr error and needs a restart, I'm guessing that's linked to those gfx errors others have been talking about. Hope its fixed with new drivers.

Yep, the laptop will be stable until you start playing with the sleep/hybernate/battery modes. Then the drivers will quit working and you'll have a constant TDR error. Mine, in the end, was only working on battery mode. I plugged into outlet and it crashed.

Maxter
08-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi forum!

Hi have signed my upgrade but I don't had receved. Why?
They were supposed to be releasing the upgrades in groups. All depends when you signed up for it. If you took about a month after you saw the little icon, then you'll be waiting for a couple more weeks. I'm pretty sure that with the nVidia drivers issue (and now I'm reading about AMD having something similar - they are pretty quiet about it though), they might have slowed the updating allowance. You can, alternatively, force the download. There are ways to do this. A simple google search should come out with that answer.