PDA

View Full Version : Reviving bricked Asus G55VW bios chip

Tudor.Vlad
07-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone,

First of all, I am sorry, for this is going to be a lengthy post. As such, thank you for choosing to read on.

I am the proud owner of a G55VW laptop but as of yesterday, I believe I have bricked my Bios chip.
I was trying to boot from a USB pendrive and entered the Bios setup to enable booting from USB sticks. Unfortunately, curiosity drove me to enable the "Launch PXE Oprom" option. After hitting F10 to save and restart, the laptop refused to show the ROG logo or POST. In fact, the only thing the laptop does after hitting the power buttons is to flash the keyboard backlight and num lock LED (or possibly the HDD LED, can't remember) for a second, after which, only the power LED remains on. The screen never seems to come ON (i.e. the backlighting for the screen doesn't even come on). It doesn't turn off, the num / caps lock keys don't seem to work as the LEDs don't turn on, it doesn't restart, it doesn't do anything. The only indication I have of having pushed the power button is the power LED and the fan spinning.

After reading the only 3-4 threads I could find online regarding such problems, of which 2 were posted on this very forum, I was lead to believe that I may have bricked my Bios chip, especially after reading that such a situation is strongly related to having upgraded the bios through Windows, which I have also done about half a year ago and had no problem until now (although I have not fiddled with any bios settings since the upgrade)... I know, bad idea. Lesson learnt. However, as per the suggestions in those threads, I tried the CTRL + Home + Power combo and, indeed, after a couple of seconds, the laptop turns off. The problem is that after pressing the power button again, there is no EZ Flash menu or anything. It is back to being a brick.

And now, the purpose of this thread. Can someone please be kind to explain whether this procedure is enough to get into the EZ Flash utility (in which case I pretty much am screwed), or do I have to put the bios file on my C: drive or on a USB pendrive for the EZ Flash utility to start? When pressing ctrl+home+power does it actually look for a pendrive or a file on my C drive? What would be the correct steps? To what should I rename the bios file? G55vw.bin? case sensitive or not ? any additional parameters (G55vw-something.bin) and if so, how can I find out the parameters specific to my laptop?

Also, have any one of you seen such a behaviour before? And if so, can it be the result of some other malfunction?
I have suspected that maybe the display died on me, but considering the fact that the num and caps keys are not responding (i.e. their specific LEDs don't turn on/off) I ignored this possibility. And, come on, a simple restart killing the display? Mind you, I don't have any secondary screen to connect the laptop to and actually check.

As I have been planning to dismantle the G55VW to see what is the cause of a noisy fan, I decided that today I should no longer postpone, even more so if I am to replace said chip. The fan noise has been dealt with, but I cannot seem to find the bios chip on the MB. After a couple of google searches for bios chips, I managed to find a chip on my MB resembling those I found on google but cannot be sure. It is a Winbond W25Q64FV 8pin chip, if I am not mistaken (it is pretty late in the morning where I am posting this from). I will be posting some pics tomorrow of the MB and of the chip I suspect may be the bios chip.

Also, removing the battery and holding the power button for 5 minutes didn't work nor did holding it for 5 minutes then try the ctrl+home+power or any other combination I could think of didn't work.

On a side note, ever since I got the laptop there has been a problem with its so-called sub woofer in that it vibrates and heavily distorts the sound whenever I enable it. I read that many people have this problem so I dismissed it as a design fault or something, but after dismantling the laptop, I noticed that the middle speaker (which I am guessing is the sub woofer) has a dent in the metal cone or whatever it is called. Any ideas if that can be the cause of the bad quality of the sound? I will also be posting an image of the aforementioned speaker tomorrow.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the lengthy post. Any help in reviving this beast of a laptop will be greatly appreciated!

Tudor.Vlad
07-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Another thing I missed in the first post, for the G75 series bios chips there seems to be a way to hard reset the chip by shorting 2 pins. From the datasheet (http://store.comet.bg/download-file.php?id=6890) I read about my bios chips, the Winbond one, there is no hard reset pins provided, only a soft reset by using "Reset (99h) instruction". Either there isn't a hard reset, or I am missing that part. Does anyone know if it can be hard reset?

Tudor.Vlad
07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
As promised, images of the chip:

Also of the speaker:

Tudor.Vlad
08-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Soo.... no one?

Sup3rkillax
08-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Soo.... no one?

I'm sending you a pm

C4RN1
08-03-2015, 10:11 PM
This is a link to a similar issue I had with my g46vw. Maybe it will help you.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61138-G46VW-Bios-Update-Verification-Failed-Partial-Brick

Tudor.Vlad
08-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I actually tried all of the steps described in the link you provided. Unfortunately, mine refused to start.
Actually, today I took the MB to a laptop repair shop and they just rang me up to confirm that "the bios memory is corrupted". The fix will cost me around 50 dollars. It still is better than paying triple or more than that for a replacement motherboard. Hopefully, I'll have it up and running by tomorrow.

elf420
08-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I actually tried all of the steps described in the link you provided. Unfortunately, mine refused to start.
Actually, today I took the MB to a laptop repair shop and they just rang me up to confirm that "the bios memory is corrupted". The fix will cost me around 50 dollars. It still is better than paying triple or more than that for a replacement motherboard. Hopefully, I'll have it up and running by tomorrow.

Hey Tudor I ran into the same exact problem I wanted to a do a fresh clean install of Windows 7 Pro, so I went into my bios settings on my Asus G55VW and changed the boot priority to USB saved then rebooted and now I don't get the Asus screen or even past post, just a black screen with the keyboard lighting up for 1 second, no sound, I tried to remove battery hold power button for for 2 minutes, it does nothing I tried to google how to reset cmos but havn't found anything. How did you resolve your issue as I am having the same exact problem thanks!!!

Tudor.Vlad
08-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Hey Tudor I ran into the same exact problem I wanted to a do a fresh clean install of Windows 7 Pro, so I went into my bios settings on my Asus G55VW and changed the boot priority to USB saved then rebooted and now I don't get the Asus screen or even past post, just a black screen with the keyboard lighting up for 1 second, no sound, I tried to remove battery hold power button for for 2 minutes, it does nothing I tried to google how to reset cmos but havn't found anything. How did you resolve your issue as I am having the same exact problem thanks!!!

Well... I ended up taking apart my whole laptop. I actually needed to do this to do some maintenance. I replaced the thermal paste and the thermal pads, cleaned the vents and the fans and also reapply the plastic film that was between the fans and the motherboard because it has peeled off of the MB and it was sucked up by the fans making an unpleasant noise. Happy to say the laptop runs around 20 degrees C cooler and no more noise.
But, back to your question, as I already took the whole thing apart, I took the MB to a laptop repair shop where they removed the BIOS chip from the MB, flashed it with a chip programmer and resoldered it onto the MB. Quite scary seeing someone use a soldering station on my MB. Problem solved, the laptop is working as before if not better, however, the keyboard backlight is not working anymore. I suspect it has to do with the BIOS he flashed (before all of this, the keyboard backlight turned on at the same time with the laptop, now it doesn't work at all). I should've mentioned that he should flash the original bios release so take note of this just in case you find yourself in need of a chip flash. Anyway, I'm not going to attempt to flash said bios version myself any time soon.

I hope you can solve your issue faster and without all the hassle I experienced.