PDA

View Full Version : asus g73 hard drive not detected after reassembling. $50 for whoever gets me running

thomasw809
12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
i had a noisy gpu fan ( fan on right side) i read that the oil in the fan must have leaked out somehow so i opened it up and put a drop of hair clipper oil in there. it fixed the problem for about 2 months. it started again today so i opened it up to do the oil trick again but ran into a stripped screw and couldnt get the fan out. after reassembling the laptop i get this on bootup.

" reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

so its not detecting the hard drive right? i tried reseating the hard drive and opening the laptop back up to check and make sure everything was plugged in correctly. same problem

no recovery dvd's came with the laptop. i had to make my own when i first got it. i couldnt boot up to do any recover or repair with those either.

all i could do was hit f2 and get into the bios. there it looked like it only recognized one thing under the boot menu. i cant remember what it exactly was but it was something like sata dvdram????? i wasnt sure if it was the hard drive or dvd drive.

now i cant even seem to get into the bios, in frustration i had started enabling and disabling things in the bios, i cant remember the last two things i enabled before my problem getting into the bios started. but now when i start up it just stays blank for a long time with a dash at the top left of the screen. after a while it says something about "for atheros pcie ethernet controller" below that it says "client mac addr" followed by numbers and letters. after a while of that it says no dhcp or proxdhcp offers were received, exiting intel pxe rom. i hope that tells you what option i enabled in the bios. after that it goes back to "reboot and select proper boot device" i can't even get into the bios now. if could just get back into the bios i know what to change back, just cant remember the name of it. sigh...very frustrated with this and have no money for a repair shop.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 09:34 PM
i had a noisy gpu fan ( fan on right side) i read that the oil in the fan must have leaked out somehow so i opened it up and put a drop of hair clipper oil in there.
Holy crap! I don't believe these fans work that way....but okay.

" reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
The Boot Priorities list is either messed up, or a SATA connector (or possibly the drive itself) has sustained collateral damage during the recent surgery. From your description, your biggest issue is probably a lot of really screwed up BIOS settings, or potentially even a corrupted BIOS.

now i cant even seem to get into the bios, in frustration i had started enabling and disabling things in the bios, i cant remember the last two things i enabled before my problem getting into the bios started.
I know it doesn't help right now....but don't EVER do this again. ;) The BIOS is serious stuff, and not a good place for random experimentation. You shouldn't even be in there if you're not sure what you're doing. Once a BIOS is corrupted and bricked, there's is no user repair option.

I would repeatedly try to reboot and F2 into the BIOS. (press F2 repeatedly right after powering up.) Once you can get in there, you need to revert everything back to its defaults and start over. (Restoring defaults is one of the Save & Exit options.)

Another option (though I think dealing with the BIOS issue is much more pressing), would be F8 at power-up to see if you can get into the boot options menu. If you get there but cannot find a bootable device, try it with a bootable disk (perhaps a Windows installer or a repair disk) in the optical drive.

BrodyBoy
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
now when i start up it just stays blank for a long time with a dash at the top left of the screen. after a while it says something about "for atheros pcie ethernet controller" below that it says "client mac addr" followed by numbers and letters. after a while of that it says no dhcp or proxdhcp offers were received, exiting intel pxe rom. i hope that tells you what option i enabled in the bios.
BTW, this means you enabled the Intel PXE (pre-boot execution environment) in your BIOS, so your computer is trying (in vain) to boot into that network environment. You obviously need to disable that, which will happen once you get in there and reset to defaults.

You need to get to BIOS Setup before the PXE boot attempt starts.....if you wait until after that's done, you're long since past the point where you can enter the BIOS setup.

Again, hit ESC or F2 immediately after hitting the power button.

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/pxe-mof-exiting-intel-pxe-rom-41235.html indicates the previous messages you observed, then "Exiting Intel PXE" result from your laptop attempting to boot from a server using your Atheros network adapter. When it could not find the network OS, it exited the attempt. I believe it is just another option you can have in the boot device order, but not one that'll help your case.

Are you certain you have the HDD connected properly? If not, Brody's the guy to help you. He regularly disassembles and assembles his laptops to see if he can beat his previous fastest time... ;>{)>

celsior
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Thomas, what was the end of your story?

Got the exact same problem on my G53SW after reassembling. Terrible, just terrible, the machine was just 3 wks old.

BrodyBoy
01-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Thomas, what was the end of your story?

Got the exact same problem on my G53SW after reassembling. Terrible, just terrible, the machine was just 3 wks old.
Don't panic. THis is usually fixable. Have you looked ih the BIOS setup to see whether the HDD is detected at all? Also, have you changed anything in the BIOS? (Thomas got frustrated and started randomly enabling and disabling things in the BIOS....that's never a good idea.)

GottiBoi55
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
make sure your HDD is hooked up to the "first drive" first, and all connection are secure.
if that don't work, it sounds like you might have "deleted a boot option"
I think that you can on start up, by tapping the "esc button" that it will give you"boot options",
I believe it's like three options, select the "setup" option.
well I hope you good luck with this issue!

if you do get into the Bios this way...... go to the last "tab" in the Bios and click on the "restore defaults" button.

BrodyBoy
01-31-2012, 01:52 AM
make sure your HDD is hooked up to the "first drive" first,
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "first drive?"

PS: Just a heads up....white text is easier on the eyes. :)

evgasr2
01-31-2012, 03:36 AM
hey , get into bios by pressing esc or f2 for 20 seconds , in bios press f9 to resent to defaults and go to last tab and see if your hdd drive is present ,if you have deleted in a mistake you have to remove harddisk again and boot to bios and rest bios and turn off laptop,and connect the hdd come to bios reset now, now you will see the bios screen will be showing the drive, if not , check if you have properly connected the hdd cable because its bit hard to connect it correct. if no sucess, try this method , disassemble laptop until you reach the motherboard ,but you dont have to take it out, can you see a small connector near the hdd white colour cable with small blue clip ,remove the yellow tape in it and take the black colour clip up so you can get the cable out easily , blow some air inside it just to clean if there was anything stuck init. then reconnect the hdd cable it should be properly connected you will know if it was connected because it will make a slight jump like then close the black colour clip and reassemble every thing and see what happens.

celsior
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I checked BIOS over and over again. It never found any HDD, like it wasn't there anymore. And I never changed any values in BIOS.

I looked over it on the inside and I couldnt find any loose connections, nor any dust or anything out of the ordinary - the PC wasbrandspanking new for christ sake. It's been RMA'd, I am just baffled and very disappointed by this. I'll keep you guys posted.

PILGRIM
01-31-2012, 09:31 AM
What if the Hard Disk is the one that's damaged or corrupted?..
Perhaps it's the reason why BIOS can't read/register it.
How about changing your HDD into another, just to test it?

evgasr2
01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
What if the Hard Disk is the one that's damaged or corrupted?..
Perhaps it's the reason why BIOS can't read/register it.
How about changing your HDD into another, just to test it?
Yo i came up with same idea, first of all just do that , i guess i mite have confused someone in last post if so im sorry.

celsior
01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi guys.

Very nice to see that you're all anxious to help (thanks, rly) but the machine has already been sent in to Asus for repairs.

Asus has responded rather quickly to my problem and an engineer has already solved the problem and they are awaiting new parts. I will call them tomorrow and ask what went wrong with it, I'll tell you guys what went wrong with it... As far as I can read from the status at the norwegian Asus RMA portal, they are confirming I didn't do anything wrong when adding an extra RAM module and Asus will repair it free of charge. Hopefully I'll be playing bf3, mw3 in no time. Fingers crossed.

celsior
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
The technician said the machine needs a new HDD. Are these Seagate 2,5" that fragile... Christ. So it'll be a brand new win installation - all my savegames, updates and other downloads are now lost. I really can't say im too happy abt this.

evgasr2
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
The technician said the machine needs a new HDD. Are these Seagate 2,5" that fragile... Christ. So it'll be a brand new win installation - all my savegames, updates and other downloads are now lost. I really can't say im too happy abt this.
tell asus to send the old hdd back to get the important files back. you could hook a usb to sata inverter and get what you need from it.

evgasr2
02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
And if you can please dont stick with seagate it wont surive a lot days, get wd velocapacitor.

BrodyBoy
02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Unfortunately, hard drive failures happen. They happen to Seagate drives, WD drives, Samsung, Hitachi....all of them. Like most other hardware failures, they're relatively rare. Unfortunately, there's just no way to know which ones are doomed to fail. They work one day, crap out the next. The best we can do is back up anything important.

Hopefully, you'll be able to reconstruct your installation quickly and be back in business soon. :)

GottiBoi55
02-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "first drive?"

PS: Just a heads up....white text is easier on the eyes. :)

I meant make sure the connections did not get crossed up upon reassembly.
plus if the drive position is in locked it may not detect it.

GottiBoi55
02-03-2012, 04:52 AM

that's why it's always a good policy to make regular backups, preferable on a external drive.
so all them "saved games", and other files won't be lost!
Sad to say, Asus won't transfer all your data for you.