PDA

View Full Version : G751JY left side fan rattle?

phdraptor
07-31-2015, 07:26 AM
Ran into an issue with the G751JY over the past few days:

The left side fan begins making this loud whirring/rattling noise that continues until the laptop is either put to sleep or restarted.

It starts doing this either:
-During typing (usually the system has to be under load/temps have to be up for this to trigger the problem), or:
-Shifting the computer at all (especially forwards/backwards) while it's running, also causes it do do the same.

Sleeping the computer for a minute or so and then waking it results in the fan returning to normal operation/noise levels - waking it up immediately after putting it to sleep lets the rattling noise continue.

Thoughts?

The RMA turnaround time for this is going to be about 3ish weeks - can anyone think of a quick/easy fix, or does it really need to go in for repair?

clockworksatan
07-31-2015, 08:16 AM
It sounds like there's a faulty bearing in the fan so I'd imagine that there's not a quick and easy fix for this, I'm afraid. :(

aeolisio
07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
Open it up and blow out the fan with compressed air

phdraptor
07-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Not 100% comfortable with taking apart a laptop that much to get at some dust.

I did blow a little compressed air in through the rear vents (which cleared out some dust, albeit not as effectively as it would have through normally), and not much really changed.

I noted that the whirring pattern and extra vibrations happened on a smaller/quieter scale when the laptop fans were running at a lower RPM (using notebook fan control to monitor temps & speed).

aeolisio
07-31-2015, 12:47 PM
I have seen everything from hair to a dead bee get inside the g751 fan and make noise if your not comfortable removing a few screws and lifting the keyboard 3 inches theres nothing you can do besides rma

phdraptor
07-31-2015, 01:59 PM
This is what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHEeGnA3s4&feature=youtu.be

The mic makes it sound slightly more tinny than it actually is.

phdraptor
08-02-2015, 02:49 AM
I have seen everything from hair to a dead bee get inside the g751 fan and make noise if your not comfortable removing a few screws and lifting the keyboard 3 inches theres nothing you can do besides rma

I finally decided to do that before I sent it in for an RMA.

Turns out, the fan is unbalanced/wobbling a bit (sort of how a car wheel spins with a bent axle)- and that wobbling results in the fan vibrating pretty substantially at any speed. Cleaning out the fan of dust didn't do anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I have to send it in, then.

aeolisio
08-02-2015, 03:04 AM
I finally decided to do that before I sent it in for an RMA.

Turns out, the fan is unbalanced/wobbling a bit (sort of how a car wheel spins with a bent axle)- and that wobbling results in the fan vibrating pretty substantially at any speed. Cleaning out the fan of dust didn't do anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I have to send it in, then.
your welcome. yep or replace it yourself the fan is usually 10 bucks on ebay and its only a few screws and asus might always blow it with air and send it back to you with the same fan.

Evil Hotdog
08-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I might be too late with my answer,
but I had the same problem with the first g751JY laptop, I decided a new laptop doesn't need to be repaired, it needs to work as new.
So I simply demanded a new laptop at the store where I bought it and got one without the noise.
Don't RMA unless it's your last option, in my experience they always **** something up.

Nole3000
08-05-2015, 03:54 PM
I use the Notebook fan control software with active user profile according to one of posts replied here, and everything works fine and quiet.

XOIIO
08-06-2015, 03:46 AM
Doesn't lifting the keyboard up void the warranty though? Since that isn't really the "user serviceable" area

aeolisio
08-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Doesn't lifting the keyboard up void the warranty though? Since that isn't really the "user serviceable" area
no call asus support if you want an official answer.

Asoryu
08-06-2015, 02:57 PM
If it's under warranty then you need to send it in for repair, if this a quality issue you need to make ASUS accountable for the repair of their product.

Anthony566
09-13-2015, 10:29 PM
My new G751JY-T7303H did this out of the box ... had it swapped for a new laptop.

SuperManReturns
11-25-2015, 11:14 AM
I also have a G751JY-DH71 laptop with the left side fan rattle, and it seems to be getting worse.

Does anyone know someone who has successfully self-repaired this problem? I'm hesitant to send my laptop back for repair, I hear that they tend to mess things up in the RMA repair process. I have no issues with my laptop other than this really annoying constant fan sound, and the whole not having G-SYNC enabled when it's clearly capable of it thing.

Corporal
11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know someone who has successfully self-repaired this problem?
Open the keyboard, put some oil inside the fans.
since the fans can't be disassembled, you just have to push them down the bearing a bit, then spray some oil inside. I assume that you will have to repeat it once the oil dries up. I just oil them whenever I get the dust out of the laptop.
My fans rattled in March, 6 months after purchase, fixed them, heard no rattle since.

Use any oil of your choice. First I used some silicon based oil, then I used Ballistol. Subjectively, Ballistol is better.

bululu
11-25-2015, 12:58 PM
I just wanted to add some info about compressed air usage.
My old motherboard (desktop pc) died when i used compressed air on it.

It turned out, that it was a burnt fuse somewhere at the mainboard, that went off due high voltage electricity.
I did not touch the thing so you might think how there comes electricity?

Its just a fan that turns into a powergenerator if you cycle it. Then it starts producing electricity and puts it through the wires.

--> So if you want to use compressed air, make sure you fix the fans to prevent them cycling!

Corporal
11-25-2015, 05:22 PM
using compressed air on a rattling fan is pointless anyway :cool:

diogogmaio
01-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Open the keyboard, put some oil inside the fans.
since the fans can't be disassembled, you just have to push them down the bearing a bit, then spray some oil inside. I assume that you will have to repeat it once the oil dries up. I just oil them whenever I get the dust out of the laptop.
My fans rattled in March, 6 months after purchase, fixed them, heard no rattle since.

Use any oil of your choice. First I used some silicon based oil, then I used Ballistol. Subjectively, Ballistol is better.

After 10 months I am having the same issue. The rattle. Only on left side.
Not anything loud and only on idle / small tasks (like 2900 rpm in the fan).
Funny if I stress the PC (like Black Ops 3) the fan goes to the 3000 rpm scope and I don't hear the rattle.
So it only started this week but I want to solve it.

I already opened up my laptop several times.
I know how to get to the fans but I didn't understand how you oiled it.

Can you explain? Do I have to press down the fun and then spray the oil (WD40 for example?)
"Push them down the bearing a bit"?---> didn't understand.

To get the dust out should i get the compressed air also?
How do I apply it?

Thanks for all the help in advance.