PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Clean Install Inquiry

akosiflava
08-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Now that i have upgraded my ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 to Windows 10 Home, i want to clean install it. But I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if the BIOS will remain. (Sorry for being a newbie here) I like seeing the ROG LOGO on the system load time. I dont want to not see it after clean installing windows. Please, I need help! Thanks

xeromist
08-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Win10 does not overwrite the BIOS. What you see now is exactly the same as what you'll see when you clean install. Note that there is a factory reset function within Windows 10 that gives you virtually the same thing as a clean install. You might consider that first before going to the trouble of wiping and starting over.

Darnassus
08-03-2015, 07:53 AM
To keep your RoG logo for when you boot up, just re-enable FastBoot and SecureBoot in the BIOS once you've finished upgrading. ;d

MaxCioco
08-04-2015, 10:45 AM
I don't have any of them and I have a retail version of Windows ( not oem - cheaper that way here ) and a costum bios and I still get the logo.

So most likely you don't have to worry about that.

Honami
08-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I wounder if i can use the asus 3rd party programs from windows 8.1 on 10 X64

MelvinZ
09-06-2015, 02:10 AM
would a clean install erase all of the necessary pre installed drivers and software and whatnot? Or would it re-install/ keep things that came installed by Asus?

Maxter
09-06-2015, 03:07 AM
I went with the update. Do not hibernate or sleep and you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll have TDR issues with the graphics card (been there and it sucks).
If you can live without those 2 things, Win 10 is awesome! I love the multiple desktops and speed

Maxter
09-06-2015, 03:08 AM
I wounder if i can use the asus 3rd party programs from windows 8.1 on 10 X64
yes

Maxter
09-06-2015, 03:10 AM
would a clean install erase all of the necessary pre installed drivers and software and whatnot? Or would it re-install/ keep things that came installed by Asus?
clean install is clean. No ASUS software. You can download the win 8.1 64-bit for that. They work fine.

MaxCioco
09-09-2015, 05:22 PM
I want to do a clean install as well, but my concern is this one:

How does Windows 10 perform? What are the known problems that it causes, how can they be fixed (if possible) and do games work better than in W8.1?

xeromist
09-09-2015, 05:36 PM
I want to do a clean install as well, but my concern is this one:

How does Windows 10 perform? What are the known problems that it causes, how can they be fixed (if possible) and do games work better than in W8.1?

I've not heard of any performance issues. The performance benefits will come when games start using the new directx calls.

The main complaints at this point seem to be centered on the privacy issues of Cortana sending your typing to Microsoft. There are ways to mitigate this through disabling the Windows services if it is a concern for you.

Maxter
09-09-2015, 06:06 PM
So far, the only problem is coming back from sleep/hibernate. nVidia drivers will crash. They will recover after a boot loop and everything will go back to normal. Performance, Win 10 is faster than 8.1, uses less space, and less memory.
Is it worth it? I think if you can live without sleep mode, yes. If sleep mode is really important, don't update.
Make sure you do backtracker before anything (to save Win 8.1 partition just in case). Then upgrade to Win 10. Then, use media creator (google it), to create Win 10 installation USB. Then, clean install (erase all C-drive partitions beforehand - backtracker should have all the info in case you want to go back to 8.1)
I haven't seen any difference in gaming yet (Mostly LoL)...

MaxCioco
09-09-2015, 08:10 PM
I use sleep every now and then, but I feel confident that I can live without it because I have a ssd.

Regarding Cortana I know it won't work in my region so I have no practical use of "her" . As for privacy settings, as long as I can tun off/on what I want it's ok.

If I choose to upgrade, I will do it with garget then use the new key for a clean install. I never recover as I like clean installs better.

But how about the sound driver? Has the problem been solved by just installing the new driver or is there a procedure to make it work? I like the sound wizard from Asus as it allows me to make some nice tweaks, especially for my sound system/headphones.

xeromist
09-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Once you upgrade you can just reinstall with a downloaded image. No need for a key because it will recognize your hardware and activate. Just make sure that the upgrade activates BEFORE you wipe the machine and you'll be good to go.

Also note that they have a reset function built in that allows you to wipe out apps and settings. You might try that first as it's easier.

MaxCioco
09-09-2015, 10:55 PM
I have a retail version of Windows 8.1, not the oem one, so I think I will have to enter the key or my microsoft account. On my pc I just entered the account and asked me which license key I want to use.

I don't like the options provided by Windows (I don't trust they will do better than a clean install) and I can manage with clean instal. When I used hdds I used to do a clean 0 wipe of the hdd before any reinstall.

Maxter
09-10-2015, 09:08 PM
MaxCioco, xeromist is right. You have to do the upgrade first. This is so microsoft connects your win10 key to your microsoft account. This is the way to get Win10 free; there is no way to change your win 8.1 to win 10 key. If you want to do a clean install from the get go, then you have to buy a Win 10 license. Once you have upgraded, and you see in the settings that win10 has been activated, then you can perform the clean install (it's just an extra step, unless you want to buy a win10 retail key).
In terms of the audio, it's been fixed. Truly, you don't need to install anything. Win 10 has its own drivers and they work great.

After doing a clean install of windows 10, it'll ask you for a key. Just click "skip". Once you are inside Win10 and connected to your microsoft account, it'll automatically activate. No need to input keys anywhere.

MaxCioco
09-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Simple enough and I will do it as soon as I have the time.
Thanks for saving me time with reinstalling 8 after figuring out that I upgraded the wrong way.

usmanm77
09-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Firstly, Go to your Local Disk "C" and back up a folder called eSupport to an external disk. Your previous Windows 8.1 Drivers are there.
Secondly, get the Windows 10 Home iso you intended on using to format and download a software called "Rufus". You will also need a minimum 8GB flash drive.
Rufus will allow you to make the flash drive bootable (for UEFI Based BIOS).
All you have to do is select the "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" for Partition scheme and target system type, Select "FAT32" for File System,
"8192 bytes" for Cluster Size. Finally, click the CDROM icon to select the Windows 10 Home iso and click start.
After the flash drive is prepared. Restart your computer and press F2 during boot to select the Flash Drive as the boot device.
Accept all the prompts and select the partition you want to format (usually the largest by default) and click format. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FORMAT ONLY THAT PARTITION IF YOU STILL WANT YOUR RECOVERY PARTITION INTACT.
Wait for all the processes to finish.
After your Windows 10 is setup is complete, copy back that eSuppot folder you backed up back to Local Disk C: and open the folder "eDriver".
Run the file called "AsInsWiz" and install back all your Asus Drivers and Software. Your computer will restart a couple of times until everything is complete.

NOTE:
1. Windows 10 will automatically activate after the format since youve been using it before. Microsoft Registers your device ID on their activation servers.
2. Make sure Intel Display drivers and Nvidia Drivers are installed at the same time before you restart or you'd have a black screen during login if you install the Nvidia drivers alone.

After everything is through, you could go to Asus rog help page and get updated drivers for Windows 10. Install those and your good to go!