PDA

View Full Version : G751 fast battery wear

Dongleboo
08-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Hey guys, I just want to check if other owners noticed fast battery wear as well. I bought mine in December 2014 and after only 6 months AIDA64 says that the battery wear lever is 26%. Is this possible only after 6 months? I do play a lot and therefore I keep the laptop plugged in almost all the time in order to have high FPS on heavy games. When I'm not playing I usually unplug the laptop and leave it to discharge. Also I've noticed that after installing Win 10, my battery is unable to charge to 100%. I get to 89% and it stops. I don't think it was like that in WIn 8.1. With the current rates of battery wear I'll have to replace the battery in 1 year max?!

joshindaphils
08-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Don't know how AIDA determines battery life though using "powercfg /batteryreport" I'm at 97% (capacity or 3% wear) after 8 months. I would compare apples to apples and try another utility aside from AIDA just as a sanity check... even though it sounds like you are experiencing other battery related issues.

I don't know why you are unplugging your laptop to leave it to discharge... this is very likely to be the source of all of your battery concerns. You should absolutely never discharge your battery just for the sake of discharging it. There is no benefit in doing this with Li-ion batteries, it only shortens the life unnecessarily. This isn't the 80's anymore and the rules that applied to Ni-Cads don't apply here.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries If you look at the chart on this page and depending on how many discharge cycels you have done, you may find that your capacity is close to typical Li-ion behavior. There are always variables and it doesn't help if you do a lot of gaming as the constant exposure to high heat will shorten the life as well.

Depending on the particulars of your behavior (on the surface with interpreting your own words some of it seams very abusive to the battery) this could very well be expected wear, though definitely not typical.

I would suggest mitigating some of behavior patterns that affects the battery life going forward, and seeing if you can get a warranty replacement.

Dongleboo
08-03-2015, 08:01 PM
As far as I am aware, I should discharge the battery from time to time. Apparently I'm wrong and I won't do this anymore. Still I don't know why the battery doesn't want to charge to 100%. It stays at 89%. I will contact the retailer, but I doubt they will agree to change the battery, as usually they say that it's an expendable part and guarantee doesn't cover it. Which utility do you suggest to double check?

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/4794/035832244.jpg?r=0

It calculates how much the designed capacity is and then subtracts the actual full charged capacity. That's how it's getting the 26% wear level.

joshindaphils
08-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Drop to a command line and run "powercfg /batteryreport " then open the resultant HTML file. It is a windows system utility so it is a 'universal' way to check.

Dongleboo
08-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Well...this ain't good...

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/4794/035832803.jpg?r=0

There is a very distinct drop of over 11,000 mWh capacity in the period of a single week (2015-06-15 - 2015-06-22) and I don't remember doing something different in that 1 week period. I think the battery might actually be defective because this is just ridiculous. I've also noticed that the initial battery life estimates are for 3:22 hrs and the current are for 1:47 hrs. This is insane - almost 2 hrs drop in battery life in 8 months.

Dongleboo
08-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Well...this ain't good...

http://media.snimka.bg/s1/4794/035832803.jpg?r=0

There is a very distinct drop of over 11,000 mWh capacity in the period of a single week (2015-06-15 - 2015-06-22) and I don't remember doing something different in that 1 week period. I think the battery might actually be defective because this is just ridiculous. I've also noticed that the initial battery life estimates are for 3:22 hrs and the current are for 1:47 hrs. This is insane - almost 2 hrs drop in battery life in 8 months.

Korth
08-04-2015, 02:41 AM
You can try reconditioning the battery.

Let it partially discharge to less than half capacity then fully recharge it. Repeat for about 5-10 cycles. Same as with any other secondary (rechargeable) Lithium-based battery chemistry.

And try to avoid simultaneously charging and discharging the battery. This might not be practical (especially if your battery is shot) because you'll tend to want to plug your laptop in to extend life while heavy games/etc quickly suck the battery dry. Simultaneous charge/discharge tends to overheat the electrolyte(s) and cause premature derating/aging of the battery.

joshindaphils
08-04-2015, 05:06 AM
You can try reconditioning the battery.

Let it partially discharge to less than half capacity then fully recharge it. Repeat for about 5-10 cycles. Same as with any other secondary (rechargeable) Lithium-based battery chemistry.

And try to avoid simultaneously charging and discharging the battery. This might not be practical (especially if your battery is shot) because you'll tend to want to plug your laptop in to extend life while heavy games/etc quickly suck the battery dry. Simultaneous charge/discharge tends to overheat the electrolyte(s) and cause premature derating/aging of the battery.

I'm sorry but this is completely untrue. Any resource will tell you that there is no reconditioning of Li-ion batteries. Occasionally reconditioning is used to describe recalibrating the 'smart' part of the battery to accurately reflect capacity and such things. A single full charge and discharge should accomplishes this.

It is also impossible to simultaneously charge and discharge the battery... perhaps bad wording? Current will either flow from the PSU to the system and charge the battery resulting in charging, be pulled from the PSU and battery simultaneously resulting in discharging, or current will only flow from the PSU resulting in no change in the charge of the battery.

You are spreading misinformation, you may want to research the subject matter a bit more before before doling out advice. My sources are an education in electrons and about a week's research into building out a large UPS by hand. I will gladly point you to resources on request.

Dongleboo,

On a good note the very sudden decrease in the capacity of the charge the battery can take is a good indicator of a physical defect and could substantiate a claim for warranty repair, you may have to be persistent and patient as SOP is likely to deny battery claims, but this look more like a manufacture defect and not wear and tear (key works to keep dropping).

Dongleboo
08-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Dongleboo,

On a good note the very sudden decrease in the capacity of the charge the battery can take is a good indicator of a physical defect and could substantiate a claim for warranty repair, you may have to be persistent and patient as SOP is likely to deny battery claims, but this look more like a manufacture defect and not wear and tear (key works to keep dropping).

Yes, I will do. Next week I'm going to the retailer and I'll ask for a warranty replacement, because with the current pace of wear, I'll have to change the battery in less than a year. Thank you for the information and the advice.

joshindaphils
08-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Normally not much of a fan of the below site, but was looking for a decent thorough guide on recalibration in response to another topic and this article is pretty good at breaking down the minutia on a manual recalibration.

http://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

vempatyappu
08-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Mine is also kinda same it used be 3 hrs 30 or 40 minutes and now it barely lasts 2 hours, the battery report says design capacity was 90000 mWh and current is 79545 mWh but almost halved time is ridiculous and I didn't it until last month as I always use it on AC and rarely on battery.

joshindaphils
08-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Just going off recollection here, someone step in and correct me if I am wrong... I couldn't find the original resource, anyhow the battery has a 90,000 mWh capacity, but the laptop only uses 85,000 of that to prolong the useful duty cycles of the battery.... though thinking about it I may have read the reserve capacity bit about the GT72 and am confusing it.

Regardless I would expect that the difference in run time has more to do with different services and apps runing than anything else. As well a different screen brightness will dramatically affect run times. Unless you are using a standardized battery rundown test on identical configurations (same apps, patch level, screen brightness, connected devices, etc) it can be hard to attribute the reduction in run time solely to reduced battery capacity.

You may wish to do a calibration to see if your reported charge capacity changes any. If your laptop lives off the socket (while that is great for the battery) it will cause the calibration to drift off over time and report incorrect numbers. Check out my previous post for a good guide regarding recalibrating if needed.

That report is useful, but it must be interpreted in the correct context to get the most out of it.

A 3:30 run time is what I would expect off a fresh install of windows and only doing light surfing on low screen brightens on a new battery.

SoapTurtle
08-10-2015, 01:20 AM
I just need need one question answered. Shoul i keep my laptop plugged in all the time? Or wait till it gets to full capacity to plug it out

joshindaphils
08-10-2015, 01:54 AM
I just need need one question answered. Shoul i keep my laptop plugged in all the time? Or wait till it gets to full capacity to plug it out

The answers are there if you back read... Keeping your laptop plugged in is the best thing you can do for your battery. If you are interested in keeping your battery in top shape definitely do not discharge your battery for the sake of it.

The laptop has logic bult in to properly maintain the battery. That is why you will see things like "96% not charging".

SoapTurtle
08-10-2015, 03:18 AM
Thanks for response. No need to be snarky lol

Dongleboo
08-15-2015, 08:34 PM
This actually doesn't help. My battery is defective and now I'm pretty certain about this. Last night I decided to do something on my laptop and I forgot my charger in the other room. The battery lasted about 40 mins. It warned me that I had 10% left, less than a minute after that it said it was at 7%. 30 seconds later it shut down. Ridiculous. This is also the case with the fact that I can't find my warranty documents.

Dongleboo
09-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Little update.

Last week I've got my battery replaced under the warranty. Turns out it was in fact defective. Towards the end it got even worse, the whole battery drained out in under 40 minutes. I really hope that the new one will last, because the warranty for the battery runs out in 4 months. :D

vempatyappu
09-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Well I RMAed it and now it doesn't discharge at all - after one hour it's still at 91% (it was at 91% before disconnecting) and now there's a red light blinking on the battery indicator. I tried the following solutions:
Turn the laptop off and hold power button for 10 seconds, or while booting - was okay for once and after I restarted it's back
Uninstalling and Installing ACPI controller from device manager - did nothing.

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Hmm if only there was a way to improve upon the stock battery.
cough- https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?75154-G751-Battery-upgrade-rebuild -cough
In all seriousness let it fully charge and discharge one cycle that usually solves it when changing the battery out.