PDA

View Full Version : Well seems like our 980m will be outdated soon...(990m announced)

Zaedric
08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Why nvidia why!!
990m announced
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-mobility-gtx-990m-q4-2015-faster-than-gtx-980/

Wonder how much it'll cost. Hopefully it isn't too much of a difference though it does say this beast is equal or if not faster than a 980 desktop GPU chip. DAMN!

Prepare guys, mobile GPUs are about to close the gap .

antoine52200
08-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Yeah great news, a mobile gpu as powerful as a 980m in SLI.. and more powerful than a 980.. Amazing!

Looks like i'm gonna sell my G751 sonner than i though!

Anolin
08-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Aaaaaaaaand my new G751JY-DB72 just arrived today.

Oh well, technology marches on...

Zaedric
08-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Aaaaaaaaand my new G751JY-DB72 just arrived today.

Oh well, technology marches on...

Haha, I know how it feels. Got my laptop a week ago and to see the news of the new gpu heartens me. I think i'll have to stick with the g751 for now xD, one can only tell the new gpu will cost a ton!

ciccio80
08-12-2015, 09:02 PM
The article mentiones hat it could consume up to 180W !!!!!
Since it is presumebly the same die tecnology than 980m, the 990m should essentially be a bigger 980m with a BIG HEAT signiture.
I'll stick with the 980m for now. Better to wait for the new tecnology in 2-3 years

mdzcpa
08-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Try not to feel bad. Most of us have been in this game for a while now. Doesn't bother me in the least. As long as my laptop does it's job for the 2-3 years I was planning on, I couldn't care less what comes out that's fast or better.

XOIIO
08-12-2015, 11:03 PM
And here I am on the 970m :/

Nader
08-13-2015, 01:56 AM
Technology marshes on. Time to accept that.
I can live with gtx970m on lower settings for the next 5 years (If I have to).

Korth
08-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Laptops are basically disposable anyhow. Same as smartphones, tablets, any other mobile device. After two years the battery becomes elderly, the screen seems to lose its lustre, the keyboard is kinda gunked, the drives and memory are too slow and too small, the processor just can't compare ... it all still works well enough for the most part, but it seems sluggish and unresponsive and "ugly" compared to all the latest-and-greatest shiny new toys.

There aren't very many laptop models which offer realistic component upgrade options. You wouldn't expect to be able to drop a faster processor into your smartphone, either. The machine is pretty much an "as-is" all-or-nothing package deal.

I would expect about 2-3 years of life from a new laptop or smartphone, and I wouldn't seriously expect it to hold any real resale value once I'm done with it. I basically divide the price of the laptop by 30 to work out a sort of "monthly cost", lol. Surprisingly, the costs work out about the same for me as the endless part upgrades on (far more powerful but completely immobile) desktop machines.

Nader
08-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Maybe I should have bought MSI Laptop cause you can easily replace the graphic card.
Then again Asus offers IPS Monitor which as amazing color quality and the low temp is a plus.

Edweird
08-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Nah, not obsolete at all. The G751 is not a suitable platform for the 990M methinks. Too large a power requirement.
Nader, don't regret anything, MXM boards are ridiculously expensive, a 990M would probably cost like ... $800-$1000 and I doubt the cooling in those machines would handle it.

joshindaphils
08-14-2015, 08:25 PM
MXM is capped to a 100W, it doesn't look like this card would fit in that restraint. Without a new process used during the chip fab I doubt we will see anything more powerful than the 980m on a MXM board anytime soon.

I'm with Edweird here on MXM boards being silly expensive, even when they are available there are often many other headaches to go along with it. Aside from potential installation hassle / feasibility it is often cheaper to sell your laptop and buy another with the card you want... here is an example http://www.hidevolution.com/parts/nvidia-gtx-980m-8gb-upgrade-kit-for-msi-gt72.html That's over $800 for a 980m today.

Until the market changes MXM upgradability is not really a practical feature for consumers no matter how much it is advertized as such.

di Valenti
08-15-2015, 05:09 AM
Meh, there is leading edge and bleeding edge... I rather like to keep to the solid edge of tech, rather then the very newest version of something... heck the 980m is so over kill to anything I would ever load that this system should last me I am going to say - a few years... at least...if not longer... but it is good that tech marches on - early adopters make my wallet smile when it's time to upgrade when it's on sale on Amazon.

aeolisio
08-15-2015, 07:13 PM
That article is just educated guesses on every single spec and they make that very clear multiple times. They are wrong more often then not and thereis no guarantee if the 990 does release that any major manuf will even use it much less that asus would put it in a new or updated version. You could get more accurate info with a magic 8 ball.