PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Windows 10 Function key not working

ZoidbergForPresident
08-12-2015, 07:42 AM
In addition to the subpar support concerning the VIA Audio drivers (that are completely broken - I managed to get it semi working thanks to the good soul that had his post stickied), I also have another issue after my clean reinstall of Windows 10: the function key (fn) isn't working.

How do I get all my features back?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Almighty1
08-12-2015, 08:16 AM
If I'm not mistaken, function keys are part of ATK...

See this:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012794/
After you installed the ATK Package to v1.0.0038 or later via the link above, you need to enable OSD through "Start-->All apps-->ASUS-->ASUS On-Screen Display".

Here is another guide:
http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html#ap-driver

ZoidbergForPresident
08-12-2015, 09:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, function keys are part of ATK...

See this:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012794/
After you installed the ATK Package to v1.0.0038 or later via the link above, you need to enable OSD through "Start-->All apps-->ASUS-->ASUS On-Screen Display".

Here is another guide:
http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupgrade/upgrade.html#ap-driver

Thanks, it works, kinda... changing the keyboard lighting works but the sound doesn't... it's probabl related to the lousy VIA drivers... *sigh*

Thanks a lot for the link, I wonder why this didn't get installed with the windows updates...

Almighty1
08-12-2015, 09:46 AM
The sound has to do with the VIA drivers. I think this doesn't get installed because it's technically not a driver but rather a utility. ASUS did a poor job too since while they have that guide, they should have links on the guide to download whatever is needed.

Clintlgm
08-12-2015, 12:43 PM
I think Asus doesn't support Windows 10 on these older notebooks. At least my G75VW has no win 10 released drivers! I suggest you pay attention to this and other forums as the more techy users solve these issues and post the work arounds. This is par for the course with Asus they haven't supported older systems they are no longer producing.

ZoidbergForPresident
08-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I think Asus doesn't support Windows 10 on these older notebooks. At least my G75VW has no win 10 released drivers! I suggest you pay attention to this and other forums as the more techy users solve these issues and post the work arounds. This is par for the course with Asus they haven't supported older systems they are no longer producing.

Thanks, I can certainly see that Asus support is subpar. Drivers should be made available for following versions of OSes, they sell friggin GAMER computers.
It's especially true as MS has made win10 available for "free" to 7 and 8 users. If they don't support 10, it means they don't support 7.

Besides, the Audio VIA drivers never worked especially well (at first the sound switched from headphones to the speakers, really serious in an office :/)...

If this really is "on par" with what they usually do, I think it's honest for me to be on par and not chose Asus again.

Almighty1
08-14-2015, 07:39 AM
I think what matters is that as long as the devices in question are made by third parties and those made by ASUS that are proprietary have software for it such as the ATK and USB Charger Plus. On my G48SX-3DE, it seems all the drivers works and I only have to install the Win10 version of ATK drivers since the other devices are usually used by other manufacturers as well.

ZoidbergForPresident
08-14-2015, 08:51 AM
I think what matters is that as long as the devices in question are made by third parties and those made by ASUS that are proprietary have software for it such as the ATK and USB Charger Plus. On my G48SX-3DE, it seems all the drivers works and I only have to install the Win10 version of ATK drivers since the other devices are usually used by other manufacturers as well.

I'm not sure I get you on this.

But it appears I have an issue with bluetooth too. WHen I go to the settings for it (settings/devices/bluetooth), I get the little wait animation in a line and I can't activate or deactivate anything.

Do I have to install something for this too? And if yes, what? Thanks in advance everyone.

Almighty1
08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't actually use bluetooth on the system but on my G74SX-3DE, it's a combo Qualcomm (formerly Atheros) bluetooth/wifi card and when I goto settings/devices/bluetooth, it just does the little wait animation in a line that keeps repeating and nothing happens. Usually from previous experience with bluetooth, the built-in bluetooth never works in XP or Win7, never tried it in 8 or 8.1 yet and usually requires a bluetooth stack from Widcomm, Toshiba or someone else before it works correctly.

ZoidbergForPresident
08-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I don't actually use bluetooth on the system but on my G74SX-3DE, it's a combo Qualcomm (formerly Atheros) bluetooth/wifi card and when I goto settings/devices/bluetooth, it just does the little wait animation in a line that keeps repeating and nothing happens. Usually from previous experience with bluetooth, the built-in bluetooth never works in XP or Win7, never tried it in 8 or 8.1 yet and usually requires a bluetooth stack from Widcomm, Toshiba or someone else before it works correctly.

Yeah, it's exactly my problem. I'd rather everything be correctly installed, at least to make sure bluetooth is off... I don't want my battery to be drained. Again, I didn't have this problem when I update my 7 to 10, but a clean install messes everything up apparently... :P

Almighty1
08-14-2015, 05:49 PM
It's hard for things to be correctly installed as Windows has always been searching for drivers on your own as all manufacturers will only update when they feel like it and it's always whatever ships with the system they sell that matters, anything else is at your own risk.

A good example of this is the Intel motherboard chipset drivers which always has to be found on one's own and updated manually:
The latest Intel Chipset Installation Drivers:
Intel Chipset 10.1.2.8 (WHQL) for Windows 7/8/8.1/10:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/intel-chipset-software-installation-10-1-2-8-whql-download.html

Do you know which Bluetooth chipset is used on your system because I think it's usually Atheros (now Qualcomm) or Intel or even Broadcom:

Right click on Bluetooth Module in device manager under Bluetooth section to see what it says for Manufacturer.... I just upgraded my Bluetooth stack and will see if it works...

For Qualcomm/Atheros, there is the latest for 32/64bit being Bluetooth Suite 8.0.1.336:
http://tiny.cc/vamx1x

This is what I just installed and the non-stopping dots do still happen after rebooting. However, I think what that is meant for is for the computer to scan for bluetooth devices as I turned a bluetooth speaker on for pairing and it found it and works, just think Windows 10 unlike older Windows no longer has the bluetooth device scan timeout setting so it just keeps searching repeatedly. There is a Bluetooth on/off slider switch right above it to turn bluetooth on and off.

There is even a Win10 specific version of the Qualcomm/Atheros WiFi driver being v10.0.0.321:
http://drivers.mydrivers.com/drivers/493_197321.htm

Almighty1
08-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Just saw this on tenforums as it seems the Microsoft Win10 bluetooth drivers don't have the bluetooth on/off switch and this is how you turn BT off:

Open Control Panel, click on Device Manager

OR

Right click on the Windows logo AKA the start button, select Run
Then type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager

Double click on your computer name (if it's not open already), double click on Bluetooth, right click on the Bluetooth Adapter then click Disable or Enable

This way you can stop and start the Bluetooth Adapter from searching for devices at your convenience.

ZoidbergForPresident
08-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Just saw this on tenforums as it seems the Microsoft Win10 bluetooth drivers don't have the bluetooth on/off switch and this is how you turn BT off:

Open Control Panel, click on Device Manager

OR

Right click on the Windows logo AKA the start button, select Run
Then type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager

Double click on your computer name (if it's not open already), double click on Bluetooth, right click on the Bluetooth Adapter then click Disable or Enable

This way you can stop and start the Bluetooth Adapter from searching for devices at your convenience.

Actually, I managed to unlock my situation by updating the driver (through device manager), I updated and after a reboot I could deactivate blue tooth.

Clintlgm
08-15-2015, 04:01 PM
I agree with you completely Asus should do a lot of things they don't do. I was just stating what has Asus done in the past and what they appear to be doing now. As far as VIA driver go I'm running the latest posted for 8.1 and I'm still running 8.1. I don't have any sound issues other than the fact that we don't have a Sub Woofer we have a base speaker that plays full range sound.
I may never upgrade this G75VW to 10. I'm pretty sure I will be upgrading to the next Generation of Gaming notebooks when Asus comes out with them this fall or early 2016.