PDA

View Full Version : Unusaual Sleep Wakeup Problem

Compubob
08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
I have an unusal problem with waking the notebook from sleep mode on an Asus G751JY with Windows 10.

The conditions are:
- the notebook is connected to an external monitor wia VGA cable
- a Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard is connected to the notebook
- computer is asleep
- I wake up the notebook by wigling the mouse
- notebook wakes up and enters screensaver (used as a digital photo frame)
- shortly after the notebook goes back into sleep mode

I found if you lift the notebook lid up and then close the lid this fixes the problem and the notebook remains awake.
I never had to open and close the lid with the old Asus notebook.
I never used the notebook as a photo frame under Windows 8.1 so do not know if it is Windows 10 related
As far as I know all power setting are correct.

My question is how to fix the problem of the notebook going back into sleep mode?
Is this a Asus issue or a Windows issue?

Asus customer service was no help.

Thanks

kard1976
08-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Is it a bluetooth mouse?

My google search found that Windows doesn't allow bluetooth devices to wake up the computer. What happens if you wake up the computer by pressing a key?

Compubob
08-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the reply

The mouse does wake up the notebook, but when the screensaver engages the notebook then goes back to sleep in 2 to 10 minutes. The same things happens if the keyboard is used to wake up the computer. I have the screensaver set to engage in 1 minute and expect the notebook to run the screensaver displaying my photos until I put the notebook back to sleep.

kard1976
08-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Have you tried disabled the screensaver?

Compubob
08-13-2015, 12:03 AM
The screensaver is the application I want running, but I disabled it for a test, the notebook still goes back to sleep if you disable the screensaver.

the only solution I found so far is to wake the notebook by lifting the lid, which will be a problem down the road as the notebook will be sitting under a monitor and you not be able to lift the lid without moving the notebook, so it is important to solve this problem.

kard1976
08-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Do you have the lastest Bios, ver 207?

Try this first: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/windows7/open-the-power-troubleshooter
(this is for Windows 7 but its the same in Windows 10)

Try this also: In the power settings, set it to never to go into sleep mode.

Otherwise you can try have a look in the Eventviewer. Find whats activates the sleep mode. Google on how you do it.

Compubob
08-15-2015, 05:23 PM
thanks for your reply

all power settings are set to never go to sleep, lid when closed is set to do nothing, hard drives are set to never turn off

I checked the event log, and it states: the system is entering sleep | sleep reason: system is idle.

I do not understand why the system is idle, as the screensaver is operating. I wonder if this is a change for windows 10?
Nor do I understand why lifting the lid solves the issue of being idle, again because only the screensaver is running.

Maybe I will have to find another screensaver as the Microsoft screensaver is not random enough.