PDA

View Full Version : Missing G751JL RAM Slots under the keyboard

doitall76
08-13-2015, 12:39 AM
So I purchased my Asus G751JL about a month ago. I ordered it with 16GB of RAM preinstalled. Last week I went to install another 16 gig into the two slots behind the back panel, and those were already occupied by it to 8 gig cards. Upon investigation, looking underneath the keyboard, I don't have the slots for the other 8 gig cards. I called and spoke with customer service/technical support, and they were absolutely useless.

I asked Amazon to send out an replacement, and that had the same issue. I have attached the pictures.

I'm not a genius, and I could be absolutely missing it on this one, but I would love some help or insight.

Is it possible that I'm supposed to be installing two 16 gig cards?

Everywhere I look it states that is supposed to be four 8 gig cards.

aeolisio
08-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Looks like your limited to 16 max what country did you buy that in? I have never seen it missing slots like that in any US version and i have been inside a lot of them. There is no 16gb 204 sodimm i am aware of. Honestly no one needs more than 16 unless your running pure VMs and i dont see why you would do that on a laptop. 32 is just for bragging rights really. If it really bothers you buy a us version preferably with a 980m

XOIIO
08-13-2015, 01:34 AM
Wait, so that's what they mean by ordering the 16gb model if you want to do a full upgrade? They don't even put the sockets in? Damn.

doitall76
08-13-2015, 01:59 AM
This was purchased here in the US. I understand your argument about 32 is just for bragging rights really. But, this is crap that they state that it is 16 gig expandable to 32, and they don't put in the slots to do it. I would absolutely be happy with 24 gig, but I don't even have the ability to do that.

aeolisio
08-13-2015, 03:10 AM
This was purchased here in the US. I understand your argument about 32 is just for bragging rights really. But, this is crap that they state that it is 16 gig expandable to 32, and they don't put in the slots to do it. I would absolutely be happy with 24 gig, but I don't even have the ability to do that.
i understand your frustration but if you read the note on the bottom of
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JL/specifications/
it says i5 CPU memory up to 16G so im guessing you have the i5 4200? If not you might have a rma case as its listed as upgradable to 32gb with the i7.

joshindaphils
08-13-2015, 06:45 AM

If the model you purchased was advertised as 16Gb and expandable to 32Gb then you can return w/o question. The unit was sold under false pretences a.k.a. false advertizing. Document where this was advertized and get in touch with your retailer. This would be the case even though Asus (albeit poorly at the bottom of the page and not with the memory spec) documents the i5 model as limited to 16Gb, a limitation that is not due to the processor apparently. http://ark.intel.com/products/75027/Intel-Core-i5-4200H-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

DDR3 is limited to 8Gb a stick, there is no such thing as a 16Gb stick.

I know it adds up, but it is unfortunate that Asus keeps cutting corners by not providing expansion slots for lower spec'ed models. Particularly when it is not consistent as in the case of the M.2 slot as it causes confusion in the market place. As well I would imagine that Gaming Laptops are some of the most likely laptops to get upgraded.

clockworksatan
08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Unless you're going to be doing video editing, data modelling or some serious number crunching on your machine, 16GB should be more than enough, so I seriously wouldn't worry too much. I do have an extra two slots empty but I currently have no intention at all on upgrading from 16GB.

warryabel
08-13-2015, 11:32 AM
the next trick to jerk us....

doitall76
08-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Again, I understand the argument that most people can get by with 16 gig of RAM. In my case, I utilize a lot of resources throughout the day various programs that are specific to the companies that I use, and generally will have at least 25 windows open at a time including some resource intensive programs. That is why I was looking for a computer that could be expanded past 16, as the newer programs come out and are more resource intensive. The computer that I have is the i7 version. It is a G751 JL DS 71.

I did speak with Amazon, and they were freaking amazing at how easy they were to deal with. They went ahead and sent me out a new one last Thursday. As well, they also refunded back the invoice from my IT guy for the work that was completed in switching computers. The one that they sent, ended up being the exact same issue. There were no RAM expansion slots under the keyboard. The 16 gig that is preinstalled, occupies what should be the expansion slots, but because there are no preinstalled slots under the keyboard, they end up being the only slots. Even on Asus's website. They advertise 16 gig expandable to 32.

FalconFX
08-13-2015, 07:49 PM
hi, a bit off topic, but can you use cpu z and show us under "SPD" if its detecting 2 slots or 4, just for reference for ppl who purchased their G751 and want to know weither they 2 or 4 slots w/o having to open their laptop :)

aeolisio
08-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Again, I understand the argument that most people can get by with 16 gig of RAM. In my case, I utilize a lot of resources throughout the day various programs that are specific to the companies that I use, and generally will have at least 25 windows open at a time including some resource intensive programs. That is why I was looking for a computer that could be expanded past 16, as the newer programs come out and are more resource intensive. The computer that I have is the i7 version. It is a G751 JL – DS 71.

I did speak with Amazon, and they were freaking amazing at how easy they were to deal with. They went ahead and sent me out a new one last Thursday. As well, they also refunded back the invoice from my IT guy for the work that was completed in switching computers. The one that they sent, ended up being the exact same issue. There were no RAM expansion slots under the keyboard. The 16 gig that is preinstalled, occupies what should be the expansion slots, but because there are no preinstalled slots under the keyboard, they end up being the only slots. Even on Asus's website. They advertise 16 gig expandable to 32.

Well im sure by now you realize your only course of action if you must have 32gb is to either take it up with asus and hope they rma you with a different board or to purchase another model. I can attest to having opened both the new g sync models and all the versions of jy jt and jm. Yours is the only one i have ever seen and a brief phone call with asus told me they show your model with 4 slots. I imagine they had more i5 boards than units sold so they probably repurposed them and thats why you see the steep discounted price compared to other models. I do advanced 3d rendering video editing and have 50+ pages open along with running other programs all at the same time and i have never even come close to 16gb but i understand your frustration. Beware the next model up (G751JT-CH71) often comes without the m.2 slot so you will lose that option for upgradability.

doitall76
08-13-2015, 09:33 PM
I do advanced 3d rendering video editing and have 50+ pages open along with running other programs all at the same time and i have never even come close to 16gb but i understand your frustration.

In all sincerity, you did a phenomenal job of expressing that you did understand my frustration, while pointing out that in most cases 16 gig is sufficient. Thank you.

the issue that I'm having with ASUS customer service is that the people that I can reach on the phone using the customer service phone number, I've spoken with numerous times, but I cannot email them pictures or anything. But the people that I can email and send pictures to won't call me on the phone, or respond for two days. The other screwed up thing, is that in order to prove my point that the slots were missing, I had to void my warranty by going underneath the keyboard. They kept telling me that the two slots were underneath, but if I wanted to use them, that I would have to void my warranty. I kept telling them that they weren't there. Like it is been mentioned on other posts, what kind of sense does that make.

Clintlgm
08-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Well I think I would send it back to Amazon and get your money refunded. Then to insure you get what you want order from Xtopic or one of the other custom vendors. or Just keep swapping them out with amazon until you get one that is as advertised. Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) is another program that will show you how many ram slots you have.
Amazon can get Asus's attention they sell a ton of Asus products. They will be talking with Asus after sending you the next notebook.

aeolisio
08-14-2015, 12:51 AM
In all sincerity, you did a phenomenal job of expressing that you did understand my frustration, while pointing out that in most cases 16 gig is sufficient. Thank you.

the issue that I'm having with ASUS customer service is that the people that I can reach on the phone using the customer service phone number, I've spoken with numerous times, but I cannot email them pictures or anything. But the people that I can email and send pictures to won't call me on the phone, or respond for two days. The other screwed up thing, is that in order to prove my point that the slots were missing, I had to void my warranty by going underneath the keyboard. They kept telling me that the two slots were underneath, but if I wanted to use them, that I would have to void my warranty. I kept telling them that they weren't there. Like it is been mentioned on other posts, what kind of sense does that make.
Lifting the top does not void your warranty disconnecting any cables or damaging anything will though. I would stress the point that it is advertised as upgradable to 32 and if they installed the 16 in the user accessible area it is not upgradable to 32 without opening it. Be impatient and curt with them but not rude and press for managers until you get someone that is willing to rma it with notations for the ram to be installed in the correct area forcing them to use a motherboard with all the slots. Be careful with amazon repeated returns because amazon has a dollar returned vs purchased percentage before they will block your account and constantly returning laptops might put you over. I myself had one account locked out permanently when i exceeded 25 percent return value because i rarely use amazon and returned 1 of the 2 purchases i made in that year each valued over 3k. If i were you i would buy one at a local retailer with a generous return policy. I always tell people to use costco/sams club or even walmart online because they have such generous return policies and really dont care what you do to it. I had a coworker return his 751jy to costco after he spilled coffee on it and admitted it to the returns desk. That will allow you to check everything and not deal with rma. Either way good luck message me if you have any other questions.

joshindaphils
08-14-2015, 06:29 AM
If you need more that 16GB you need more than 16GB. I know I go over 16GB regularly with my work flows. Last project I was working I even had to flip my page file back on due to exceeding 24GB RAM usage.

It may be a waste to go over 16GB for most, but not all.

Doitall,

At this point I would forgo further replacements from Amazon as it appears they have tainted stock.

To echo a bit of what Aeolisio said going into a brick and mortar store could be beneficial as you could have them pop the bottom of the unit open right there to confirm that the 16GB is installed in the back slots before taking it home, and if not immediately return. You would likely have to purchase first though. If you call in advance and talk to a manager (in sales) it may help to avoid any hassles from over zealous sales staff on commission, if you get real lucky you might find someone willing to pop open a unit for you before you head out (not likely but doesn't hurt to ask).

Another option would be to forgo Asus here, I can understand that this has to be very frustrating, you may have better luck with another make.

aeolisio
08-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Very few laptops and none in that price range have the ability to install more than 16gb of ram so im not sure how he can forgo asus unless he increases his budget and then he might as well get a g751 with a 970 or 980. both the msi apache and lenovo are limited to 16gb at that price point and have terrible thermals the sager is priced higher for less performance so unless hes raising his budget or considering a non discrete gpu machine i dont see any other options unfortunately.

doitall76
08-14-2015, 08:58 PM
This is for the phone call I am on right now

Clintlgm
08-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Have you PM any of the Customer Loyalty Reps? cl-albert is/ was our rep in these forums. He is an Asus employee and can be helpful in these kinds of situation. I haven't seen him post lately but haven't see his replacement yet either so give him a PM and see if he answers you.

jwatilo
05-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Hello, doitall76.

I'm wondering if you ever got this resolved to your satisfaction? I find my self in the EXACT same situation (although I purchased mine from B&H Photo) -- i bought two additional 8GB sticks, tried to add them, lifted the keybard, and to my surprise no slots!

Anyway, I'm trying to get to the right people at ASUS to talk about this. I'd really be curious to know how you ended up resolving it.

Thanks,
John

romanlopez01
05-19-2016, 07:09 PM
i have the same laptop but mine have 8 gb of ram and 3 slots extra for more ram 57513 57514
i replaced the battery ;););) 57515

JustinThyme
05-20-2016, 02:29 AM
Hello, doitall76.

I'm wondering if you ever got this resolved to your satisfaction? I find my self in the EXACT same situation (although I purchased mine from B&H Photo) -- i bought two additional 8GB sticks, tried to add them, lifted the keybard, and to my surprise no slots!

Anyway, I'm trying to get to the right people at ASUS to talk about this. I'd really be curious to know how you ended up resolving it.

Thanks,
John

What was the model you bought.
I bought the G751JL DS71 from B&H Aug 2015 and it came with all 4 slots. I put 4 2133 8GB Gskill in there for 32GB total.