PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Reverting G750JM to Factory Fresh Condition OS

jomamameister
08-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum.
I have the G750JM-DS71
I routinely do backups of my system through my Acronis True Image software, but I backup both
my ROG laptop and my Win7 desktop to the same external drive, although to different subdirectories.

After doing an incorrect image installation from the wrong subdirectory using my Acronis software,
I am able to correctly access the screen that should be allowing me to revert to factory fresh condition,
but it gives me only the option of using a disc or other external device.

By using the Acronis software I can see that my hidden partitions remain in place and I copied this data:
900 mb Type FS: Partition 0x27 (Windows RE Hidden PQ, MirOS), and this:
13.5 gb Type FS: Partition 0x27 (Windows RE Hidden PQ, MirOS)

I don't seem to be able to use the Backtracker software either since it is requiring me to have an OS different than Win 7
even to load to a DVD or USB.

I feel that my only option appears to be able to copy the partition data onto a USB drive and attempt to load from there
using a command line prompt from the DOS level. It is at this point that I have lost my way, since I wouldn't know what
to type at the prompt once I did do the data copy to USB.

I am open to tried and true suggestions.
I also don't mind reinstalling a brand new OS as a last resort.

I also read another lengthy post by another individual with a similar, but really different scenario before I posted here.

Thanks for any assistance,
jomamameister

redduc900
08-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Are you unable to restore the recovery image via F9 during POST? As long as you didn't alter the partitions, you can still perform a system recovery from the F9 Options menu. In the Options menu, select Troubleshoot--> Reset your PC--> Only the drive where Windows is installed--> Just remove my files.

jomamameister
08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Hello redduc900,
No, the F9 does not allow me to access the hidden partitions' data, nor give me any Reset options, except to use a factory disk, which I would gladly do if I had it or could make my own. See below please.

As noted above:

By using the Acronis software I can see that my hidden partitions remain in place and I copied this data:
900 mb Type FS: Partition 0x27 (Windows RE Hidden PQ, MirOS), and this:
13.5 gb Type FS: Partition 0x27 (Windows RE Hidden PQ, MirOS)
FYI- I can technically "see" all the data in these partitions and could copy them if need be.

I still cannot get the F9 to actually access the hidden partitions and therefore am not able to have the laptop restore its own image.

BTW-
I was able finally to reinstall my very first Acronis backup image through a roundabout means. As a safety precaution I did not reinstall the hidden
partitions although I did back them up as well when my original copy image was created, so I at least have access if needed.
Again, as mentioned above I can "see" inside the hidden partitions and I have data there.

So going back to a question I asked above, can I do something useful with the data on the hidden partitions and either put them on a bootable disk or flash drive somehow and reinstall them myself if needed? If so, of course, the question would be,"How?"

Thank you,
jomamameister