PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Setup and Settings - G751-JY - is there anything I missed?

di Valenti
08-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Greetings,

I have just completed the testing of Windows 10 on my older G71G-Quadcore - oddly enough the performance of some of the games and applications improved under 10... MS must have fixed some things... anyway, I have setup Pro 10 on that system, and with that then found IE and enabled that so I can still use google voice from Gmail, and set Google as my default search engine... and put all the privacy settings to local and turned off all the sending stuff to MS.

So that is the core OS, and then on that I put on my EVE Online, World of Tanks and Warships, and War Thunder, Blender3D, Unreal Engine, Unity Engine, and the GeForce stuff... all seem to be working and the resources are stable and moving right along.

The over all image seems to be right on the money and working properly, so I am very tempted now to update the G751.

Couple things I am not sure about...

1. Home v. Pro 10... doesn't seem to be a big deal, I am thinking I could put a code in that has the Pro 10 after I do the upgrade (as I have read I have to do the upgrade first then a clean if I want that)...

2. Steam, ROG, Shadow Play Buttons - are they all going to work with 10? I don't want to foul up my hardware if that is still an issue... My G71 had some such features but they don't work with 7, 8 or 10... so I think that is just the way it is... since no upgraded drivers or applications for such things as lights, buttons and some of the apps like splendid, and direct access and all. So wondering that will be an issue here.

3. Partitions on the drives - I want to keep it as one OS drive and 1 Game Drive - but I see that the Drives on it from the 8.1 are split 4 ways, and then there was the issue of the Windows.old folder that I couldn't get rid of on the G71 upgrade until I did a clean install but then I had to load in everything, and while I got all the devices working, the above issues have stayed in there on that install. So I lost some functionality.

4. Any hidden issues that I don't know about given that the system as a built in battery and it has a hidden key code (though I did pull it with a program to find it for typing it in)... so I guess is there any huge burning fire red flags I need to worry about that - I have looked here, but might be some I missed or someone didn't post, etc.

Ok, thanks, I think the biggest issue is that I am just worried something will go down and I will have a big mess to deal with... which I can deal with, but I would prefer not to have if I can help it... lol. :)

aeolisio
08-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Greetings,

I have just completed the testing of Windows 10 on my older G71G-Quadcore - oddly enough the performance of some of the games and applications improved under 10... MS must have fixed some things... anyway, I have setup Pro 10 on that system, and with that then found IE and enabled that so I can still use google voice from Gmail, and set Google as my default search engine... and put all the privacy settings to local and turned off all the sending stuff to MS.

So that is the core OS, and then on that I put on my EVE Online, World of Tanks and Warships, and War Thunder, Blender3D, Unreal Engine, Unity Engine, and the GeForce stuff... all seem to be working and the resources are stable and moving right along.

The over all image seems to be right on the money and working properly, so I am very tempted now to update the G751.

Couple things I am not sure about...

1. Home v. Pro 10... doesn't seem to be a big deal, I am thinking I could put a code in that has the Pro 10 after I do the upgrade (as I have read I have to do the upgrade first then a clean if I want that)...

2. Steam, ROG, Shadow Play Buttons - are they all going to work with 10? I don't want to foul up my hardware if that is still an issue... My G71 had some such features but they don't work with 7, 8 or 10... so I think that is just the way it is... since no upgraded drivers or applications for such things as lights, buttons and some of the apps like splendid, and direct access and all. So wondering that will be an issue here.

3. Partitions on the drives - I want to keep it as one OS drive and 1 Game Drive - but I see that the Drives on it from the 8.1 are split 4 ways, and then there was the issue of the Windows.old folder that I couldn't get rid of on the G71 upgrade until I did a clean install but then I had to load in everything, and while I got all the devices working, the above issues have stayed in there on that install. So I lost some functionality.

4. Any hidden issues that I don't know about given that the system as a built in battery and it has a hidden key code (though I did pull it with a program to find it for typing it in)... so I guess is there any huge burning fire red flags I need to worry about that - I have looked here, but might be some I missed or someone didn't post, etc.

Ok, thanks, I think the biggest issue is that I am just worried something will go down and I will have a big mess to deal with... which I can deal with, but I would prefer not to have if I can help it... lol. :)
1. home is fine and free pro you will have to pay for. I recommend you do the clean install after upgrade but people arent having major issues with just an upgrade.
2. if you install the atk drivers yes
3. the .old folder is delete by windows cleanup and you can partition it however you want.
4. no major issues you can see my thread here for the walkthrough and common questions you can ask me more details there.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide