PDA

View Full Version : G551JM : Which caddy and SSD should I buy ?

Rej901
08-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my Asus ROG G551JM-CN102H with an SSD, using the optical drive's slot.

I'm a bit lost when it comes to caddies, and I'm also not sure which SSD I should buy.

I read a lot of good things about the Crucial MX200, but every piece of advice is appreciated.

Note : I'll be buying a 250gb SSD, and I'd like the caddy to be a perfect fit : like I didn't change anything.

Thank you !

Rej901
08-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Bump !

Clintlgm
08-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Well all 2.5" Disk and SSD are the same format the SSD are now thinner than Spinners however they all fit the stock caddy's the same as the screw holes on the sides are on center with the SATA connectors so basically you'll have a bit of space in the upper side of your Caddy. some SSD come with a spacer to fill this space. its not really needed as the side screws or bottom screws secure the SSD solidly. Sorry I can't comment on the Crucial I only use Samsung or Intel SSD's

bartat404
08-19-2015, 06:34 AM
I'd also recommend putting the SSD as the main internal drive, and moving your laptop's hard drive to the caddy to get the full performance of the SSD, as the CD SATA only runs SATA II (3gbps) and the internal runs SATA III (6gpbs)