PDA

View Full Version : Asus G501JW black screen, frozen, can't turn off

Tudor.Vlad
08-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Hey guys,

As the title specifies, I have a problem with an Asus G501JW that refuses to turn off. I have it for about a week and three days ago I ran a virus scan (why on earth did I install an anti-virus? oh yeah, it's free) with McAfee. During the scan, it said it quarantined some stuff and about 3/4 way through, the laptop crashed and threw a BSOD then nothing. Literally, nothing. The screen turned off as if the power to the screen was cut (i.e. it is not just displaying a black image, the screen is actually not receiving any power), the keyboard backlight also turned off and the only thing that is still on is the power LED. No response from the caps/num lock keys (the corresponding LEDs remain off) and plugging in the laptop also doesn't turn the battery LED on. It is as if the laptop is turned off but with the power LED on, no noise from the fans, nothing.

I held the power button pressed for about 4 minutes and absolutely nothing happened.
I would go ahead and remove the battery but if you are familiar with this laptop, it isn't easily removable and will probably void my warranty.

I presume that it would probably at least show me the bios screen if I could get it to turn off and then back on but how do I turn it off?

The laptop has been sitting on battery power for the last 3 days and, as you would expect with just that tiny LED, it is still running. Besides waiting for a couple of months for the battery to die, what other options might I have?

dienow
08-24-2015, 05:05 PM
RMA it , i guess the virus wreck your G501JW so bad .
or u can ask asus support or asus technician to help u fix your laptop .

atm your only option if u dont want to open the back cover is RMA it.

Tudor.Vlad
08-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Actually I did. Problem is they suggested to rma it. I just got it and am not keen on doing this especially as it is brand new. If I RMA it, I expect it to be just as new.

I have not had an anti virus (apart from the crap from Microsoft has that is pre installed) for the last 6 years and had no problem with any viruses whatsoever. The moment I install an av and run a scan it destroys my new laptop. This wasn't a virus. From my experience, an anti virus is just a commodity, an excuse to not use common sense when online. Any virus that an antivirus is actually capable of containing can be avoided by use of common sense. Any respectable virus is going to do whatever it wants irrespective of the av installed.

Back on topic, If nobody has any other suggestions, I suppose i have to RMA it.

dienow
08-25-2015, 05:22 AM
most likely false positive by McAfee and quarantied ad core windows files, as usual .

yeah if you dont want to void your warranty , RMA is the best solution , or you can ask for refund if your store doesnt mind .

Tudor.Vlad
08-25-2015, 11:10 AM
I contacted the store a few hours ago. I guess I will RMA it but until I get a response from them I am still open to any suggestions.