PDA

View Full Version : G751JL - Adding an SSD

mijicm1
08-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Hey ^^ I have a G751JL running Windows 10 in UEFI mode on a 1TB HDD. I would like to add a Samsung 850 Pro, format the HDD, and clean install the OS (using a USB) on the 850. I have two questions.

1. Should I even run UEFI since I've been hearing a lot about how you're not supposed to have GPT formatting on an SSD?

2. How do I access UEFI settings after I have formatted my HDD and I am left with no OS? (Since you do that via Windows)

Also - does anybody know whether the second bay is SATA 3 or SATA 2. In case it turns out it's SATA 2 I should swap my HDD into the SATA 2 bay and my SSD into the SATA 3 bay, right?

Clintlgm
08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Hey ^^ I have a G751JL running Windows 10 in UEFI mode on a 1TB HDD. I would like to add a Samsung 850 Pro, format the HDD, and clean install the OS (using a USB) on the 850. I have two questions.

Get you windows 10 USB Install media here or ISO your choice http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
1. Should I even run UEFI since I've been hearing a lot about how you're not supposed to have GPT formatting on an SSD?

I have no idea where you go the idea that GPT would be bad for a SSD its quite the opposite you do want to install UEFI on a GPT SSD

2. How do I access UEFI settings after I have formatted my HDD and I am left with no OS? (Since you do that via Windows)

Pull your hard drive out of the notebook. Start the USB install by hitting the Esc Key on boot up select UEFI USB and continue the install as you normally would the windows install will create all the need partitions and formats.

Also - does anybody know whether the second bay is SATA 3 or SATA 2. In case it turns out it's SATA 2 I should swap my HDD into the SATA 2 bay and my SSD into the SATA 3 bay, right?

I think some of the new versions are coming with SATA 3 for the 2nd hard drive bay, the original renditions had SATA 2 for the 2nd hard driver bay.
Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) should show you what you actually have.

Get the latest Asus Supported hardware drivers Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

mijicm1
08-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. I already have HWInfo but I don't know how I can tell whether the other bay is SATA 2 or 3 if no drive is plugged in. So before installing the OS on the new SSD I should remove the HHD before even booting into Windows? Because I would like to reformat the HDD.

P.S. Read somewhere that Samsung Magician doesn't work on W10 or GPT partitioning. Don't quite remember.

Clintlgm
08-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Samsung Magician works fine on mine.
Yes its best to remove your hard drive while you clean install an OS, With UEFI the boot manager can get confused. Doesn't happen always but I take mine out. Then after the clean install driver updates then hook up you old hard drive USB change the windows folder to window.old. Put it back in your notebook and on start up hit the Esc key that will bring up a boot menu be sure to select your new SSD to boot.

direkJay
08-25-2015, 12:14 AM
I had a little trouble installing Windows on my G751JL- first problem was unscrewing, most of the screws aren't really friendly or maybe it might have been my mistake for not using the perfect screwdriver from the very start until I stripped the screw of the back panel itself (or maybe these screws are just so bad and I lost the lottery for good ones, because some you can easily screw/unscrew and some are just stubborn). I had to figure out a way to actually open the back, ended up using a flat screw to finally open it.

Next problem was the hard drive cages, I can't unscrew the pre-installed 1GB HDD at all, they are not even stripped and I already have the perfect screwdriver already, they just won't budge (I can only unscrew one screw), I ended up using my SSD on the SATA2 port and boot Windows from an old system, installed drivers from the website, didn't run to any problem until I "marked" the system drive from the Partition Wizard/Tool and formatted my HDD (because yea I was ready to use the system as is, ended up not having any system to recover to) and basically bricked my whole system up to the point that I thought I bricked my motherboard because when I turn it on it will just show me a black screen.

I was able to fix it though, I removed my SSD and just booted to the pre-installed 1GB HDD, just did a clean install of Windows 10 via a USB drive, and thanks to that I was able to just install Windows 10 on both my drives and just choose to boot on my SSD everytime it turns on. (Pretty annoying that you can't just Fast Boot to SSD since I'm stuck on the SSD being on my SATA2 port which the laptop doesn't want to recognize as my main drive, although it boots fast anyway so I don't think it will really be a hassle)

Anyway after my rant I will answer your question.

Yes the pre-installed 1GB HDD is sitting on the SATA3 port, and the empty cage should be SATA2, if you have a normal unit (which ASUS should make sure every unit is), then you can easily unscrew and place your SSD on the SATA3 port, you won't have any problems installing Windows 10 on that anymore. (Just note that you probably need to actually download Windows 10 onto your USB because I've tried installing Windows 10 when both drives were present and it gave me the known media error (where you just need to unplug the other hard drive).

I basically just needed to format any drive through the Windows Installation setup and I was able to easily install Windows 10 on any drive (I basically had to install Windows 10 on my HDD before I installed it on SSD because of my annoying problem of not being able to unscrew the main SATA3 cage and place my SSD there.

You just need to change boot security settings so you can boot to your USB installer and later you can just disable the security settings and fast boot to your SSD after installing Windows on it.

mijicm1
08-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the detailed answer! How old is your JL? I bought mine like a month ago. I believe I have 2 SATA3 ports but I am not sure. I will provide a screenshot of HWINFO at the bottom of the reply. If this really is the case do I still need to swap the SSD for the HDD?

After I've put the SSD in I should start my computer off the HDD, install drivers for the SSD, then take my HDD out and install Windows?

http://i60.tinypic.com/aeup3s.jpg

Clintlgm
08-25-2015, 04:02 AM
Yes this is why we advise removing the hard drive before the clean install. Your boot manager remains on your Hard Drive rather than on you SSD.
Hard screws, for awhile Asus was using Loctite on the screws??????? I just remember reading about it. to remove these screws a good fitting Phillips Screw driver and a little heat from a solder Iron will get them loose the first time. The case screw this is the first time I heard of it being stuck?? Again a correct screw driver is always the way to go. Upgrading or clean installing secure boot should stay enabled CSM should be disabled. Fast boot if you have that setting in your UEFI/BIOS off.

Clintlgm
08-25-2015, 04:04 AM
I can't tell anything from this. I would go on the basis that the 2nd port is SATA 2. It won't make that much difference in real world with a DATA drive

aeolisio
08-25-2015, 10:32 AM
I can't tell anything from this. I would go on the basis that the 2nd port is SATA 2. It won't make that much difference in real world with a DATA drive

Out of 6 g751-db73x that ive checked 4 have sata 3 speed in bay 2 and 2 dont. All 6 were close in production date and from the same retailer. Its still very much hit and miss with sata 3 in bay 2 but doesnt make a difference with the oem hard drive anyways it would be nice to see some transparancy with exact specs from asus though.

mijicm1
08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Aeolisio, if it is SATA3 do I still need to put the SSD into the first port where the HDD is? Does that make any difference?

Thanks all! :)

aeolisio
08-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Aeolisio, if it is SATA3 do I still need to put the SSD into the first port where the HDD is? Does that make any difference?

Thank all! :)

If your talking about a 2.5 drive and you have sata 3 in the second bay the yes you could put it in either bay.

Clintlgm
08-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Out of 6 g751-db73x that ive checked 4 have sata 3 speed in bay 2 and 2 dont. All 6 were close in production date and from the same retailer. Its still very much hit and miss with sata 3 in bay 2 but doesnt make a difference with the oem hard drive anyways it would be nice to see some transparancy with exact specs from asus though.

Yes I agree I was ready to buy in on a G751JY tweaked out by xtopic. Then I saw that 2nd port was SATA 2, I backed up and will just wait on the next Generation of 17" G Notebooks this fall or early winter?

JustinThyme
08-26-2015, 02:43 AM
Both of my HDD slots are SATA III, the CDrom is SATA I
The OS has to be in the master slot with is on the left when inverted.
I had zero problems with mine, the SSD is ruuning a UEFI partition and GPT.

First thing I did was update all the drivers and the OS to windows 10 on the original drive. Samsung data transfer did not work. I used Acronis True image to clone the drive to the SSD installed in the slave slot. When it was done I removed the original drive and put it away never to be used again unless the crap hits the fan and I need to recover (last ditch effort). Its a cheap chinese WD drive that I dodnt trust anyhow. I moved the Samsung 850 PRO 512GB into the master bay and booted up. Using Acronis disk director I deleted the recovery partitions and merged them in with the OS partition. At that point it was running with all updates and drivers done so I made a back up of that, again with Acronis. I had a 1TB Seagate hybrid drive on hand and installed that into the slave bay. Done. I did note that samsung magician 4.6 does not recognize windows 10 and will not allow rapid mode on the SSD. I had to install ver 4.4 which saw it as windows 8.1, enable rapid mode then update to 4.6.

Runs like a dream, boots fast as lightning with HDD benchmarks above par. I didnt have any issues at all with the hardware as far as screws etc.

mijicm1
08-26-2015, 05:24 AM
I seem to finally understand it all except for one little thing. How do I reconnect my old HDD and reformat it successfully? If I got that right, you told me to change the windows folder to windows.old - sure, but I would like to wipe it. Should I have any issues booting into Windows when I connect the HDD for the first time (because there's an OS there as well)? I would set boot priority of course, but wouldn't those boot managers conflict with each other?

TugaPower
08-26-2015, 07:11 AM
If both have boot partitions over the BIOS it will be detected and boot the one you choose.