PDA

View Full Version : Final battle ! ASUS vs MSI

JackMack
08-27-2015, 09:57 PM
(note) this is my last topic for now so if you can help somehow, go ahead write some opinions

Sometime next month I will probably get a brand new laptop; either the ASUS GT751JT or the MSI GT72-G(sync)

What I really want to know is why one over the other ?

I know that :

- ASUS has better and silent cooling while MSI has turbo boost and it also benefits from a cooling pad
- MSI has better audio while ASUS being decent,it has some sound issues out of the box.
- MSI is much more upgradable while ASUS looks and feels sturdier
- ASUS keyboard will stay red forever while MSI can put on a light show
- ASUS has the i7-4710HQ vs the MSI i7-5700HQ
- MSI comes with G-sync, both have the gtx 970M and cost 1500$

3 things I care the most in a laptop (besides software that works), everything else being secondary :

*durability (hopefully something that would last me at least 3 years)

*cooling (staying cool while under stress)

*customer support (it's more of a dream, I doubt it exists, both MSI & ASUS being pretty bad...)

joshindaphils
08-27-2015, 10:27 PM
So what is wrong with your nearly identical thead here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74509-G751JT-vs-GT72

There is no need for a new thread, please consolidate the conversation. All of those things were already discussed in your old thread as well. You are not going to get any significant number of people that have solid experience with both machines, and I would bet most of them commented on your old thread already.

You even answer your own question number 2 with you first list of things you know heheh. It's okay man just take a deep breath and click order. Flip a coin if you need to :P

I would suggest going to a brick and mortar store and put hands on each if you can. That may sway your opinion more than anything.

JackMack
08-28-2015, 01:46 AM
So what is wrong with your nearly identical thead here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74509-G751JT-vs-GT72

There is no need for a new thread, please consolidate the conversation. All of those things were already discussed in your old thread as well. You are not going to get any significant number of people that have solid experience with both machines, and I would bet most of them commented on your old thread already.

You even answer your own question number 2 with you first list of things you know heheh. It's okay man just take a deep breath and click order. Flip a coin if you need to :P

I would suggest going to a brick and mortar store and put hands on each if you can. That may sway your opinion more than anything.

It's a big decision you know, and I'd rather not flip a coin. I guess I'm just waiting for enough people that say go for one or the other. Also wish I could lock the other thread since I feel this one is more professional...

Edit by cl-Albert: Okay, other thread has been closed and a link to this thread provided.

Also, if you it makes sense to you, you may want to tell us what things are most important to you or are deal-breakers although it's possible you may not know some of these things until after you buy and use the notebook (you may want to purchase from a reseller with a good return policy in this case?). Good luck!

Clintlgm
08-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Well your in an Asus forum, we all like our G notebooks if you want someone to talk you into the MSI go on over to their forum or for real diversity then Notebook review Forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/#notebook-manufacturers.1002)

JackMack
08-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Well your in an Asus forum, we all like our G notebooks if you want someone to talk you into the MSI go on over to their forum or for real diversity then Notebook review Forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/#notebook-manufacturers.1002)

I've posted this on the MSI forum as well. Just wanna get some answers from Asus people to why they like or dislike the G751 series !?

InfernoStorm
08-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Yeah like what Clint said, you're likely to get more biased answers here so maybe not the best idea. I would consider asking on Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, reddit, or Overclock.net for better unbiased advice. I personally would go for the ASUS G751JT because I've had really bad experiences in the past owning MSI netbooks and laptops. My ASUS laptop has lasted me more than 3 times longer than both the netbook and laptop combined from MSI. Quality over everything else, that's all I gotta say.

Edweird
08-28-2015, 07:41 AM
While I really like the MSI's keyboard, I got used to the red pretty much instantly. The audio I am completely content with once I adjusted it right. I don't count upgradability as a plus since MXM boards are extremely expensive and not a good investment imo.

G-SYNC, i think is the only plus but then again there are G751s with G-SYNC, too...

clockworksatan
08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
- ASUS has better and silent cooling while MSI has turbo boost and it also benefits from a cooling pad
- I wouldn't call a cooling pad a benefit! It's just an extra expense that you don't need to incur with a G751 as it's ability to stay cool quietly is unbeatable

- MSI has better audio while ASUS being decent,it has some sound issues out of the box.
- The G751's audio isn't actually bad at all; it just needs a little tweaking to get sounding right - but with both laptops you'd be better off with headphones or a gaming headset (or a decent external audio system) if you're looking for top sound quality.

- Upgradeability in laptops is (usually) a bit of an oxymoron. While you may be able to upgrade the CPU & perhaps the GPU, you'll still be a slave to the intrinsic architecture of the motherboard, so it's not really a selling point in my opinion

- Ah, but the G751's keyboard is also much nicer to use with it's wonderful tactile, springy keys. A multi-coloured lightshow is just flashy and pointless.

- Hmm, my G751JT come with the 4720HQ. There's barely anything in it when you compare them. See here (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-vs-Intel-5700HQ).

- G-Sync is a contentious issue right now with the Asus machines, but it's not a deal-breaker as there will no doubt be ways of getting it working once someone figures it out.

So... Like others have said you'll get biased responses on here, but I'll say this: I done an absolute ton of research before going with the Asus and I'm really glad I did. It's a great machine and, overall, I think it's better than the MSI.

ciccio80
08-28-2015, 08:56 AM
After th elast months, seeing how Asus is IGNORING us for G-Sync support on the G751's, I would advise you to go and try the MSI. Then post your experience with the MSI laptop (and support) so we can compare :)

Edweird
08-28-2015, 09:06 AM
So he can get ignored by MSI, too? :P

aeolisio
08-28-2015, 10:28 AM
So he can get ignored by MSI, too? :P
Yes and then he will actually have something usefull to post here like i wish i had gone with asus because of ...

Edweird
08-28-2015, 11:12 AM
That sounds like asking the guy to make the wrong decision so we can confirm that we were right.

Come on, now.

Ideally you want to find someone who has played around with both. If not here, then on MSI's forums.
I very much doubt that MSI does things differently, though.

aeolisio
08-28-2015, 11:51 AM
That sounds like asking the guy to make the wrong decision so we can confirm that we were right.

Come on, now.

Ideally you want to find someone who has played around with both. If not here, then on MSI's forums.
I very much doubt that MSI does things differently, though.
The msi gt72 and gt80s we bought cost us thousands in loss to switch over to asus.

Edweird
08-28-2015, 12:02 PM
The msi gt72 and gt80s we bought cost us thousands in loss to switch over to asus. He has done multiple threads asking the same questions. Obviously he needs to learn for himself because another 10 people telling him the same thing isnt going to matter. He needs to spend his time researching instead of asking for more opinions and creating more threads unless all he really wants is attention.

I think that calls it.
/thread

But seriously, were those MSI lappies really that bad for you? I mean, I can look up your previous posts, where you detail exactly why that is and why you should steer away from said machines but, uh ... I want to see some vented, yet balanced and constructive rage. *cough*

Yeah, I'd go for ASUS for build quality and cooling any day.
1. It needs to work, and it needs to work for as long as possible.
2. It needs to stay cool when under pressure because it's a desktop replacement machine. If it doesn't stay cool and sacrifices performance, it's not a good desktop replacement.

Any other potential issues - keyboard, sound, whatever can be addressed by external hardware.
Cooling and build quality cannot. (Unless you water cool your laptop, but that's beyond 99.9% of the userbase.)

Also, I think ASUS has better community support. (As in, a better community overall.)
I didn't see people offering 3D printed drive cases on the MSI forums and such...though I'm not sure if the MSI models have the same issues that originally created the need for community solutions such as we have for ASUS.

As far as I can tell, the only issues that i took note of are:

The keyboard color can be offputting but NEVER a dealbreaker. I don't personally care.
Some models seem to have issues with USB ports, mine doesn't.
Some people don't like the sound, I set mine up and it's not an issue for me.
Some models are missing the M.2 slot, I had my mobo changed so it did have it.
The mount for the drive doesn't come with the laptop - but now you can get a better-than-stock one from the community.
People keep complaining about the black screen startups but they're related to Windows, not so much the laptop itself.
The battery is not removable but I don't care because as long as it is discharged once in a while it will last the laptop's life and doesn't add additional temperature as other laptops have it, especially since it's covered by a plate of aluminium...
The material is hard to clean but is among the best feeling and comfortable stuff I've ever felt.
I guess it's hard to get a SM951 AHCI to boot right and almost impossible to do it with a NVMe one but idc, I don't have any SSD in this laptop and it boots in 4 seconds flat anyways because of fastboot.
They key layout is weird...but I got used to it in less than a week.

Stuff like that...there's nothing inherently wrong with the machine imo. Overall, I think it has some character to it.

We worked hard to have ASUS/Realtek address the sound issues a while ago and we got that going for us. All that's really left now is G-SYNC but that's not an ASUS-specific issue.

aeolisio
08-28-2015, 12:23 PM
I think that calls it.
/thread

But seriously, were those MSI lappies really that bad for you? I mean, I can look up your previous posts, where you detail exactly why that is and why you should steer away from said machines but, uh ... I want to see some vented, yet balanced and constructive rage. *cough*

Yeah, I'd go for ASUS for build quality and cooling any day.
1. It needs to work, and it needs to work for as long as possible.
2. It needs to stay cool when under pressure because it's a desktop replacement machine. If it doesn't stay cool and sacrifices performance, it's not a good desktop replacement.

Any other potential issues - keyboard, sound, whatever can be addressed by external hardware.
Cooling and build quality cannot. (Unless you water cool your laptop, but that's beyond 99.9% of the userbase.)

They were frustrating enough 2 of our very sweet mousy female interns both admitted to having thrown their gt72s out of frustration. I personally daydreamed about lighting some thermite on my GT80. We literally didnt have anyone who wanted to keep their msi instead of switching over to a g751 and you know how people hate to change equipment in a work enviroment. We all really wanted that 980 sli to work for us me most of all but i spent more time diagnosing problems then using it and everytime MSI sent us back the same issue months later it became a serious efficiency problem for the staff. We actually had to purchase 10 g751s to keep people working while we waited for constant RMAs. It didnt take long for people to realize they wanted one of the temporary g751s and didnt want their gt72s or gt80s back. I was told by an executive product manager at msi that if we didnt want the gt72s to throttle we either needed to run less programs or turn out air conditioning lower than 65 because even with the fan boost the gt72 wasnt designed to run for more than a few hours at a time. If you didnt mind quality issues thermal throttling terrible keyboard placement and a 3600 laptop that will spend months in rma then the gt80 was right for you. Did i mention not a single gt80 ever worked in sli correctly in most programs and games.

Clintlgm
08-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Ok then I bought my G75VW in July 2012 I have a RMA right off with the right speaker not working at all. This RMA was wasted as all they did was image the original image to my hard drive/SSD and send it back. The right speaker still did not work. Some time in early 2013 I started having issues with the track pad and keyboard I this time Started the RMA and then PM cl-albert and informed him of my issues including the right speaker not working. This RMA took about 3 weeks a new mother board, track pad, keyboard and cables were all replaced if I remember right they notebook has worked flawlessly ever since I guess about 38 months now. It still serves me well although I usually buy an new one every three years, I see some issues with the G751JY that kept me from getting this one however I most likely will buy with the next generation coming up. I have one last comment When I buy the next one I will pay a little bit extra and purchase through a custom vendor where I'll get the Pro version of windows, custom repasting of CPU and GPU the latest M.2 main OS driver Also at least some of then run a though break in testing. I feel that this should eliminate most of the issues we see here in these forums. And Yep its probably going to cost me a few hundred more for this service but my odds of having a RMA will be really slimmed down. I work remotely and having to RMA my notebook really put me in a bind and I lose money if I can't find a replacement to get me through the RMA Time. I really got spoiled with Gateway they would just send you replacement FedEx next day if there tech support couldn't get you going again. All I would have to do put my hard drive and RAM in and I was back in business. I went through 5 of there notebooks just for that reason. When that went away I looked around and Asus M70SA looked good to me. My only complaint was Vista Asus never did support Win 7 for that model. It lasted me 4 + years to when I bought the G75VW . Even with the horrible tech support and Repair stations nightmares I will buy Asus again with out any other thought,

Nader
08-28-2015, 05:01 PM
The ONLY Advantage MSI Has that its Upgradeable But ASUS Has Colorful IPS Panel and way better cooling
pick between better screen and better cooling vs upgradable laptop.

Clintlgm
08-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Well I have never been on MSI Gaming Forum, are you getting technical answers over there. I think that these forums alone would be good reason to buy Asus Gaming. What are the work around for their overheating issues? Are they even actually having temp issues. Upgradability are you really up for paying the cost to upgrade a Video card? Or 2 in SLI? 2 or 3 years down the road. I think you'll more likely be ready for a new notebook anyway.

mdzcpa
08-28-2015, 09:19 PM
The G-Sync issue is not relevant here as either of the 2 models can now be had with G-Sync. (Although, yes, it would be nice if Nvidia allowed Asus to support it on older G751 models).

I think the Asus cooling is a HUGE deal. Cool parts are not only more comfortable to work with but they live longer. And Asus has this better cooling capability that is nearly silent. I HATE noisy notebooks! With the other specs being fairly equal this was the deal maker.

Color of keyboard...mmm fluff in my opinion. I chose the G751 because it was the most powerful yet cool running notebook available. Oh yeah, and that sweet IPS monitor.....

JackMack
08-29-2015, 06:24 AM
The G-Sync issue is not relevant here as either of the 2 models can now be had with G-Sync. (Although, yes, it would be nice if Nvidia allowed Asus to support it on older G751 models).

I think the Asus cooling is a HUGE deal. Cool parts are not only more comfortable to work with but they live longer. And Asus has this better cooling capability that is nearly silent. I HATE noisy notebooks! With the other specs being fairly equal this was the deal maker.

Color of keyboard...mmm fluff in my opinion. I chose the G751 because it was the most powerful yet cool running notebook available. Oh yeah, and that sweet IPS monitor.....

How much of a difference would it make on a G751JT, is it really worth that much trouble ?

falkenjeff
08-29-2015, 10:33 AM
3 things I care the most in a laptop (besides software that works),
)

If you want "software that works" then don't get a gaming laptop. I have an Asus. I assume MSI has just as many issues.

I had to fight with mine for WEEKS to finally diagnose the cause of my sound issues and fix it (it was actually being caused by GPU tweak - and even to this day, if I open GPU tweak, my sound will **** up; I have to leave it alone in the tray and let it do its thing).

Forcing an application to use the NVidia card (via NVidia control panel) has never worked for me. Which was fine, all my games were automatically detected and used the appropriate GPU, and video playback (for the most part) works fine on the intel GPU. But this past week I have finally encountered an old game that my NVidia GPU won't automatically pick up, so I'm forced to play it on my intel GPU. So now it's probably going to be weeks again to fix this issue, which i have ignored for months because it didn't matter, but now it does.

I would honestly recommend just building your own portable PC for half the price, and get a portable LED monitor, unless you REALLY need the portability of a gaming laptop and will be taking it EVERYWHERE. As far as software and drivers are concerned, none of these companies have a ****ing clue. They just cram all the newest tech into their machines and hope it works.

JackMack
08-29-2015, 09:16 PM
If you want "software that works" then don't get a gaming laptop. I have an Asus. I assume MSI has just as many issues.

I had to fight with mine for WEEKS to finally diagnose the cause of my sound issues and fix it (it was actually being caused by GPU tweak - and even to this day, if I open GPU tweak, my sound will **** up; I have to leave it alone in the tray and let it do its thing).

Forcing an application to use the NVidia card (via NVidia control panel) has never worked for me. Which was fine, all my games were automatically detected and used the appropriate GPU, and video playback (for the most part) works fine on the intel GPU. But this past week I have finally encountered an old game that my NVidia GPU won't automatically pick up, so I'm forced to play it on my intel GPU. So now it's probably going to be weeks again to fix this issue, which i have ignored for months because it didn't matter, but now it does.

I would honestly recommend just building your own portable PC for half the price, and get a portable LED monitor, unless you REALLY need the portability of a gaming laptop and will be taking it EVERYWHERE. As far as software and drivers are concerned, none of these companies have a ****ing clue. They just cram all the newest tech into their machines and hope it works.

Thing is, I don't have a lot of space; so I'm either going with a laptop or a PS4. Did you ever return the laptop for repairs ?

JackMack
08-29-2015, 09:19 PM
- I wouldn't call a cooling pad a benefit! It's just an extra expense that you don't need to incur with a G751 as it's ability to stay cool quietly is unbeatable

- The G751's audio isn't actually bad at all; it just needs a little tweaking to get sounding right - but with both laptops you'd be better off with headphones or a gaming headset (or a decent external audio system) if you're looking for top sound quality.

- Upgradeability in laptops is (usually) a bit of an oxymoron. While you may be able to upgrade the CPU & perhaps the GPU, you'll still be a slave to the intrinsic architecture of the motherboard, so it's not really a selling point in my opinion

- Ah, but the G751's keyboard is also much nicer to use with it's wonderful tactile, springy keys. A multi-coloured lightshow is just flashy and pointless.

- Hmm, my G751JT come with the 4720HQ. There's barely anything in it when you compare them. See here (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-vs-Intel-5700HQ).

- G-Sync is a contentious issue right now with the Asus machines, but it's not a deal-breaker as there will no doubt be ways of getting it working once someone figures it out.

So... Like others have said you'll get biased responses on here, but I'll say this: I done an absolute ton of research before going with the Asus and I'm really glad I did. It's a great machine and, overall, I think it's better than the MSI.

Well well, if it ain't my good pal Claymore Satan !? I might do what you did and go on a trip to the store and check both out before I proceed. Btw the ones on amazon show as having the i7 4710 only the G sync or the gtx 965m have the 4720 !?

falkenjeff
08-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Thing is, I don't have a lot of space; so I'm either going with a laptop or a PS4. Did you ever return the laptop for repairs ?

Why would I return the laptop for repairs when it's having software/driver issues?

No. And even if I did, they wouldn't be able to fix it.

JackMack
08-30-2015, 04:10 AM
And even if I did, they wouldn't be able to fix it.

that's why I asked

Nader
08-30-2015, 06:06 AM
ASUS Has IPS SCREEN and better Cooling - End of story.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 10:07 AM
ASUS Has IPS SCREEN and better Cooling - End of story.

Asus is also forcing me to play an old game at 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080 because it auto-selects the integrated intel card for my game, and due to driver issues or whatever I can't actually force anything to use the Nvidia card in the control panel like I'm supposed to be able to.

Not saying MSI is any better. But these gaming laptops in general kinda suck.

joshindaphils
08-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Asus is also forcing me to play an old game at 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080 because it auto-selects the integrated intel card for my game, and due to driver issues or whatever I can't actually force anything to use the Nvidia card in the control panel like I'm supposed to be able to.

Not saying MSI is any better. But these gaming laptops in general kinda suck.

This is a non-issue for the G751 as there is no Optimus. Please pay attention to the OP for relevance before posting.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 12:48 PM
This is a non-issue for the G751 as there is no Optimus. Please pay attention to the OP for relevance before posting.

No. i'm going to keep being salty about my ****ty G751JM. I'm sure the G751JT has its own amazing set of issues, so I'm still being relevant.

mdzcpa
08-30-2015, 01:21 PM
No. i'm going to keep being salty about my ****ty G751JM. I'm sure the G751JT has its own amazing set of issues, so I'm still being relevant.

Not relevant what so ever. OP said he is looking at both models with the GTX970m, not the 860m. Only the lowest model JM variation with the 860m comes with the Intel GPU and Optimus. Accordingly your rants are misplaced and off topic on this thread. Not to mention that you're committing the most irritating, self centered and fallacious behavior known to online forums....the old "well my XXXX does this or that" thinking it speaks for everyone and every iteration of the product. ...Hardly. I don't mean to be rude, but building a "portable PC" and carrying around a monitor is about the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard for dealing with gaming laptops issues. One is simply not remotely equivalent to the other. And although you are "sure" there exists an "amazing" list of issues with the other models, well, you're entitled to your opinion even it is misplaced and not very consistent with reality.

To the OP: the G751 is my 4th gaming laptop in a long series of laptops I've had over the last 10 or 11 years. Although none have been absolutely perfect (as no product is perfect in my opinion), as far as having solid portable gaming chops that work well, the G751 stands as the best so far. Aside from downloading the new audio driver that fixed my sound balance issue the laptop hasn't had an issue. Runs everything I throw at. Silent and cool. As I mentioned earlier, and as was repeated above, the G751 nails low noise effective cooling (a absolute must in a gaming laptop) and has a great IPS panel, that seals the deal with everything else being fluff (obviously my opinion).

Didn't need to really double post my same thoughts twice on this thread. But the off topic, off point post from the guy with his 860m caught me eye and needed to be pointed out for the less experienced members that might believe this guys "problems" might be relevant to the 970m and 980m variations.

Nader
08-30-2015, 01:39 PM

You Just happen to have a Bad Build. It Happens but so far JT Is Amazing, I even managed to overclock it and got 11500 Score on 3DMark11 (Using Custom Bios, It is not recommended I know but I am a fps freak).
. But Even without pushing it this Card is Amazing.

On the other Hand MSI is Great Because You Can Change the Graphic Card, but to be honest I haven't really found a Mobile GPU to buy where I live (I am outside the US). Personally I like MSI to some extent due to Colorful Keyboard and the fact you can replace the GPU is great, I only hate the TN Panel it packs with.

Meanwhile ASUS has a powerful Color Quality and GPU.
Its matter of preference really. Upgradable Graphic card good cooling Or Thinner design and TN Panel? you pick.

Nader
08-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Also Why do people Complain about Sound Quality They Can be fixed if you need to fix it using Real Tek Enchantments .
Even if you donot want to go to all this Trouble Asus Comes with Gaming Mouse and headset.

I couldn't find any thing about Asus G751 to complain about but the GPU is not replaceable and the bulky (outside) design.

Nader
08-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Let me Sum This up.

ASUS ROG G751 JT

+Colorful IPS 1080P Panel
+Fantastic Cooling
+Expect 40-60 FPS in All modern games in ultra
+Silent in the most part

-Graphic Card not replaceable
-Sound Is Good-Ok range no thing terrible but no thing impressive
-Battery is From Ok to Terrible (only 4 cells battery)
-Its not appealing to Non Gaming Community in terms of design like in College.

MSI :

+Upgradable Graphic Card
+Keyboard Colors can be adjusted
+Good Sound Quality
+40-60 Fps on Ultra in games like ASUS
+Good Battery

-TN Panel Gives you non accurate Bad color quality
-a bit Loud Fans unless you use headset

If MSI In the next 2 Years Makes IPS Laptop I would Definitely Buy it even if its fans are Loud but that is my opinion.
MSI shoot its self in the foot when they chose TN Panels, they did a great job allowing people to upgrade GPU unlike ASUS And keyboard coloring is defiantly amazing but it isn't a deal breaker like IPS Panel.

Meanwhile I will Enjoy my Asus ROG JT until I need a new upgrade.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 02:30 PM
that might believe this guys "problems" might be relevant to the 970m and 980m variations.

My "problems" are software, not hardware. The lack of optimus isn't going to make Asus any better at getting working drivers on their newer models.Most of the threads on this forum also seem to imply they are terrible at customer and product support, and really don't give a **** about any of us or our problems.

It Happens

With a $1300+ price tag, "it happens" isn't really an excuse.

Nader
08-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Why don't you get it replaced then easily call the warranty service or retailer whichever you bought laptop from and ask for a return or replacement or a refund. Bad Customer service is EVERY WHERE No Company offers Good Customer service unless you push them too hard to fix your issue.

I really don't even know why you are complaining
If its because of the sound issue that is really not worth the issue, Sound Quality is not terrible if its terrible doesn't it gives you a HEADSET??? If you have more issues than Sound Quality Then Give it to ASUS Warranty Service.

Most of the people don't have issues with ASUS G751 Laptops Beside Sound Crackling and that the fact. Just because you had ONE BAD Build THAT YOU NEVER BOTHERED TO REPAIR IT USING ASUS WARRANTY SERVICE THAT DOES NOT MEAN ALL G751 ARE BAD. Reviews Disagree with you in fact.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Why don't you get it replaced then easily call the warranty service or retailer whichever you bought laptop from and ask for a return or replacement or a refund.

How is calling on the warranty going to fix bad drivers?

No, I'm not having the sound crackling issue. It took me 4 weeks to find out which software was causing my sound crackling issue and fix it. My fix is one of the 4 threads linked in the sound issue "one thread to rule them all" megathread.

If you bothered to look at the front page you would have seen what my issue is: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74847-Forcing-a-program-to-use-the-Nvidia-card-in-the-CP-doesn-t-do-anything-G751JM

If the laptop is auto-selecting the wrong video card, and I go into the Nvidia control panel to force it to use the Nvidia card, it doesn't actually do anything. If I'm playing an older game, there is no way for me to make it use the Nvidia card.

AND THAT IS A SOFTWARE/DRIVER ISSUE. THE WARRANTY CANNOT FIX THE FACT THAT MY LAPTOP IS PICKING THE INTEGRATED INTEL CARD FOR SOME GAMES. MOST PEOPLE PROBABLY DON'T RUN INTO THIS ISSUE BECAUSE THEY DON'T PLAY OLDER GAMES.

Most of the games I play run fine, and select the Nvidia card, like they are supposed to.

Nader
08-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Well I cannot solve this problem since I have G751 , G751 Fixed Optimus Problem Simply by having NO Optimus.
Your Post is misleading Because you are speaking of Totally different PC. G751 Is NOT G750. Because G751 DOES Not Have Optimus.

The OP Is Talking about G751Not G750 Which has Optimus. Your Post is Completely Off Topic AND Misleading. There is LARGE Difference Between G750 Design and G751.

G751 = NVIDIA CHIP ONLY (THE ONE THE TOPIC CREATOR SPEAKING ABOUT)
G750 = Intel Graphic Card + NVIDIA = NEEDS OPTIMIZATION TO MAKE NVIDIA WORKS ALONE

Your POST IS MISLEADING BECAUSE YOU ARE SPEAKING OF G750 BUT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT G751 WHICH HAS NO OPTIMUS. YOU ARE REVIEWING THE WRONG PRODUCT.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Well I cannot solve this problem since I have G751 , [B]G751 Fixed Optimus Problem Simply by having NO Optimus

My machine is a G751.

You should maybe stop shorthanding the model numbers. You kind of look like a dick when you yell at me in all caps and can't even get my model right.

Nader
08-30-2015, 04:05 PM
My machine is a G751.

You should maybe stop shorthanding the model numbers. You kind of look like a dick when you yell at me in all caps and can't even get my model right.

I realise Now that
G751JM Has Optimus.
But the OP Is talking about ASUS ROG JT Which as no Optimus.

ASUS ROG JT (The One OPP Is talking about Has NO OPTIMUS ONLY NVIDIA).
ASUS ROG JM (The One you talk about Has 2 Chips Intel and Nvidia Which have issues to force Using NVIDIA GPU Instead of Intel)

Your Laptop have problems running optimus
The Laptop OPP Is talking about Have NO Optimus (ASUS ROG JT) Their for has no problem running games due to running only one graphic chip.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 04:08 PM
I realise Now that
G751JM Has Optimus.
But the OP Is talking about ASUS ROG JT Which as no Optimus.

ASUS ROG JT (The One OPP Is talking about Has NO OPTIMUS ONLY NVIDIA).
ASUS ROG JM (The One you talk about Has 2 Chips Intel and Nvidia Which have issues to force Using NVIDIA GPU Instead of Intel)[/B]

[B]I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO!

Seriously, are you like 12?

Nader
08-30-2015, 04:12 PM
ASUS ROG JM (The One you talk about Has 2 Chips Intel and Nvidia Which have issues to force Using NVIDIA GPU Instead of Intel).

Does it make you feel better? Why don't you listen. The Opp is talking about ASUS ROG JT With no optimus (I.e only one graphic chip) and you are speaking about Asus ROG JM Which Has Optimus (2 graphic chips issue) that is misleading.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 04:26 PM
ASUS ROG JM (The One you talk about Has 2 Chips Intel and Nvidia Which have issues to force Using NVIDIA GPU Instead of Intel).

Does it make you feel better? Why don't you listen. The Opp is talking about ASUS ROG JT With no optimus (I.e only one graphic chip) and you are speaking about Asus ROG JM Which Has Optimus (2 graphic chips issue) that is misleading.

If Asus wants me to recommend their $1500+ products to other people, then they should make sure their products work.

I will probably not be buying another Asus product, and I will warn people so they don't make the same mistake I did. A garbage company is still a garbage company. Releasing a shiny newer model doesn't change that.

Nader
08-30-2015, 04:32 PM
If Asus wants me to recommend their $1500+ products to other people, then they should make sure their products work.

I will probably not be buying another Asus product, and I will warn people so they don't make the same mistake I did. A garbage company is still a garbage company. Releasing a shiny newer model doesn't change that.

Okay your post is still misleading. Companies are not perfect. and its not ok to blame another product for another.
Also you can disable Intel graphic chip using Bios Somehow. I am pretty sure.

have you tried returning it??
You are doing a personal vendata against Asus by speaking lies about ASUS JT.

And you are over reacting to ASUS JM Issue.

joshindaphils
08-30-2015, 05:42 PM

I love this mentality. Situation applicable to all makes (Optimus issues), someone has an issue with it (in this case a common and well documented one), and the result is ASUS SUCKS!...

This is an nVidia issue, and is outside of Asus's control mate. There has to be thousands of threads all over the internet with people having the same issue, there are undoubtedly applicable workarounds you can use. Google is your friend, complaining about something does not fix it.

I'm sorry about my misinformation... I didn't realize the g751JM had optimus, or that 960m was even an option on a G751 (it wasn't when I was shopping for mine).

For me and I'm sure many other the lack of Optimus was a big selling point for the G751, more Asus mudding of features and specs.

On another note, can this thread die yet? On the MSI form he already gave up on Asus and is going between MSI and Clevo, at this rate I think we are being trolled.

Nader
08-30-2015, 08:07 PM
G751 Does not Have Optimus except JM.
You cannot sterotype ASUS G751 Series just because ONLY JM have optimus. You Should Have Searched before Choosing Optimus.

JT/JY Does not have Optimus.
More over you spoken Lies about Asus JT Without Trying it first.

The Customer Topic Creator Was Speaking about ASUS JT not JM.
Weither or not Asus sucks that is your opinion. But JT Have no problem from which you are talking about. In fact barley any problems besides battery life being 2 hours only with only 4 cells and unremovable (barley removable).

JackMack
08-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Let me Sum This up.

ASUS ROG G751 JT

+Colorful IPS 1080P Panel
+Fantastic Cooling
+Expect 40-60 FPS in All modern games in ultra
+Silent in the most part

-Graphic Card not replaceable
-Sound Is Good-Ok range no thing terrible but no thing impressive
-Battery is From Ok to Terrible (only 4 cells battery)
-Its not appealing to Non Gaming Community in terms of design like in College.

MSI :

+Upgradable Graphic Card
+Keyboard Colors can be adjusted
+Good Sound Quality
+40-60 Fps on Ultra in games like ASUS
+Good Battery

-TN Panel Gives you non accurate Bad color quality
-a bit Loud Fans unless you use headset

If MSI In the next 2 Years Makes IPS Laptop I would Definitely Buy it even if its fans are Loud but that is my opinion.
MSI shoot its self in the foot when they chose TN Panels, they did a great job allowing people to upgrade GPU unlike ASUS And keyboard coloring is defiantly amazing but it isn't a deal breaker like IPS Panel.

Meanwhile I will Enjoy my Asus ROG JT until I need a new upgrade.

I'm pretty sure that the MSI G sync version that I saw on Amazon or XoticPC had an IPS screen

Nader
08-30-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that the MSI G sync version that I saw on Amazon or XoticPC had an IPS screen

I Do not think ANY of the MSI Models have IPS Screen. From what I heard MSI Never confirmed having IPS Screen.
They are often mistaken with WVA (Wide viewing angle Screens) in specs details.

I do not know remember how bad TN Panels are tbh because I did not use them for a long time. But last time I think they felt less bright and less sharp than IPS and colors felt a bit washed out compared to ips.

Buy ASUS First then Use Return Policy if you are unsatisfied or the other way around buy msi and check.
Amazon allows 30 Days return policy.

falkenjeff
08-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Also you can disable Intel graphic chip using Bios Somehow. I am pretty sure.

have you tried returning it??

And you are over reacting to ASUS JM Issue.

1) No, you can't disable it in the BIOS.

2) No, I can't return it. I was mostly playing League of Legends/Starcraft 2 so I didn't notice this was a huge issue with absolutely no workaround until now - 8 months later, when I decided to play an old game, PSOBB. Newer games auto-select the correct video card just fine.

3) I'm over-reacting? It's a $1500 gaming laptop, and it can't even play an old ****ty game at 1080p (or in windowed mode at all) without dropping FPS. I'm forced to play it in 720p, because it's using the ****ty intel card. And I'm going to be stuck with it for at least another 2 years.

I love this mentality. Situation applicable to all makes (Optimus issues), someone has an issue with it (in this case a common and well documented one), and the result is ASUS SUCKS!...

This is an nVidia issue, and is outside of Asus's control mate. There has to be thousands of threads all over the internet with people having the same issue, there are undoubtedly applicable workarounds you can use. Google is your friend, complaining about something does not fix it.

1) When I did my initial research no one was having any problems with Optimus on the JM. All the posts (which I read on this forum) were simply "I love my JM." As someone not familiar with gaming laptops at all, Optimus seemed like a great feature - if it worked. Since it was the only machine that was reasonably priced at the time (and it was on sale), I went for it.

2) I have not found a single workaround that works with the JM. Most of the threads complaining about optimus on other machines either: a) Go unanswered/have no solution (like my thread on THIS forum), or b) Have a model-specific workaround (eg: a BIOS that actually lets you disable the intel card). You honestly think I haven't spent HOURS googling this before coming here? If it's so easy to fix, then tell me how to do it!

clockworksatan
08-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Well well, if it ain't my good pal Claymore Satan !? I might do what you did and go on a trip to the store and check both out before I proceed. Btw the ones on amazon show as having the i7 4710 only the G sync or the gtx 965m have the 4720 !?

I find the Amazon website a bit confusing when it comes to reading the specs of computers, so all that research I done allowed me to figure out the exact variant of the G751JT I wanted (the T7115H version) and it just happens to have the 4720HQ! It pays to do a chunk of research before splashing 1300 on a laptop. :)

Sanctrum
09-01-2015, 01:54 PM
1) No, you can't disable it in the BIOS.

2) No, I can't return it. I was mostly playing League of Legends/Starcraft 2 so I didn't notice this was a huge issue with absolutely no workaround until now - 8 months later, when I decided to play an old game, PSOBB. Newer games auto-select the correct video card just fine.

3) I'm over-reacting? It's a $1500 gaming laptop, and it can't even play an old ****ty game at 1080p (or in windowed mode at all) without dropping FPS. I'm forced to play it in 720p, because it's using the ****ty intel card. And I'm going to be stuck with it for at least another 2 years.

1) When I did my initial research no one was having any problems with Optimus on the JM. All the posts (which I read on this forum) were simply "I love my JM." As someone not familiar with gaming laptops at all, Optimus seemed like a great feature - if it worked. Since it was the only machine that was reasonably priced at the time (and it was on sale), I went for it.

2) I have not found a single workaround that works with the JM. Most of the threads complaining about optimus on other machines either: a) Go unanswered/have no solution (like my thread on THIS forum), or b) Have a model-specific workaround (eg: a BIOS that actually lets you disable the intel card). You honestly think I haven't spent HOURS googling this before coming here? If it's so easy to fix, then tell me how to do it!

Ok, so you think that it is a Nvidia driver issue? Right? So why are you ranting over ASUS? Other Optimus enabled laptops (MSI, Clevo, Dell, name it) don't have the same issue with the same old games, or they do? If they have the SAME problem- its Nvidia driver problem. Rant over Nvidia.
If they do not have the optimus issues... So you are saying ALL G751JM with your setup have the same Optimus issues or only yours have?
If all ALL G751JM with your setup have the same issue than actually you can't know if it is Nvidia or Asus to blame... maybe even both are to blame. If only your piece has the problem... so it is Asus to blame. SEND IT FOR REPAIR! Don't you have the 12 or 24 months warranty?

Corporal
09-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Other Optimus enabled laptops (MSI, Clevo, Dell, name it) don't have the same issue with the same old games, or they do? If they have the SAME problem- its Nvidia driver problem. Rant over Nvidia.

For Optimus to work, the game developers must enable optimus support. Rant over Gamedevs

"a BIOS that actually lets you disable the intel card" <- I don't see how that can work, considering that the intel card is connected to the display at all times, NVidia is only performing calculations and sending the result to the Intel video buffer. If you could turn off Intel card, you would get a black screen.

http://notebookspec.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/NVDA_Optimus_Overview.jpg

JackMack
09-02-2015, 12:59 AM

At one point I was considering models with 965, 960m which games were giving you problems ? I have quit a few older games on steam

JackMack
09-03-2015, 04:21 AM
I might just have to wait for the G752 http://www.digitaltrends.com/?p=825977 they might come out with G sync and everything at 1500$...

Edweird
09-03-2015, 06:42 AM
There's no point in getting a G751 when the G752 comes out if it doesn't have any fatal flaws. So far it looks really good on paper.

dapogz717
09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
if you always comparing the lastyear model from this year model.. you end up waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting... and you end up not having a laptop at all.. :D

BigDRim
09-03-2015, 11:40 AM
dapogz717 is true, now the high tech world renews its products so often that there will be we always something newer to envy.
But the G751 released last October so if you can wait, the G752 should be a better choice.

Edweird
09-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Well, yeah, that's the whole point. If a new model is in the imminent future, you go for that. If it isn't, you go for what's available now. In the computer world, no matter what you buy, you're always stuffed. At least with PC components anyways.

Some features, like G-SYNC, that will have long-term effects on the computer world are worth waiting for.

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
The NVME is nice but if your trying to save money wait until the g752 hits and watch the g751 prices drop again. It could be the difference between a 980m and a 965m in your budget which is much more of a difference than the NVME ddr4 and cpu upgrade.

JackMack
09-03-2015, 06:59 PM
There's no point in getting a G751 when the G752 comes out if it doesn't have any fatal flaws. So far it looks really good on paper.

I guess I could wait till December and who knows maybe they improved it quite a bit

JackMack
09-03-2015, 07:45 PM
The NVME is nice but if your trying to save money wait until the g752 hits and watch the g751 prices drop again. It could be the difference between a 980m and a 965m in your budget which is much more of a difference than the NVME ddr4 and cpu upgrade.

That is a great idea, very tempted to wait and see what happens, hopefully not forever...

Edweird
09-04-2015, 06:11 AM
Where I live, G750s still sell at original price. :P