PDA

View Full Version : Help With G751JT Storage Space?

tagger101
08-29-2015, 02:14 AM
I'd like to preface this post by saying I have NO experience with anything technical regarding computers whatsoever, so please cut me some slack if this is a dumb question.

I just recently bought my first laptop (and first gaming PC, 2 birds with 1 stone), the G751JT-DB73. I sprung for the model with the 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD combo for apparent speed and extra memory. However, I'm quite confused by the amount of memory it currently has.

Here's my confusion: I just purchased AC4:BF as a starter game (cheap, not bad, also physical copy) and installed it today. I've played it with no issues. Now, when I check how much memory I have left, my computer is saying my Disk Drive has between 1 and 2 GB left, and that I should try deleting things to make room.... Whoa, hold on, what??-(my reaction) There's no way one game is taking up over 1000GB. Also, when I launch the ROG Gaming Center, it says I still have 1060GB of "storage" left.

So... what's going on here? Apparently I can't install any more games because I have almost no "disk drive" space left, but I have over 1TB of "storage".... Anyone know what to do here? C'mon, help a clueless new PC user out.

Clintlgm
08-29-2015, 03:32 AM
I think maybe you have a 256 GB SSD that your OS is installed on and your secondary hard drive is 1 TB . Not sure why you would be running out of space on a 256 GB, I guess you should look at moving your data pictures documents etc to your 1 TB hard drive
Could you post a picture of of Disk Management so we can see what you actually have?
51388 Like this

tagger101
08-29-2015, 04:34 AM
How do I get to my disk management? Sorry, again, not familiar with this stuff at all.

JustinThyme
08-29-2015, 04:56 AM
How do I get to my disk management? Sorry, again, not familiar with this stuff at all.

Type computer management in the search bar, click on it when it pops up. Then select disk management under storage. Out of the box the OS an installed apps take up about 70GB then the recovery partition takes about 15GB or so. You shhouldnt be anywhere near full if you just installed one game. All your programs will by default install to the C drive unless you tell it differently but that where you want them to get the advantage of the speed of the SSD. I have a 512GB in mine and a 1TB SSHD in the slave slot and keep a few 2 TB USB 3.0 drives with media and other files on them.

tagger101
08-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. So I tried getting to disk management but searching "computer management" in my pc yielded no results. I'm not sure if the following picture helps or not, but I did notice something when taking it:

It says my C drive only has 3.78gb of space left out of 95.3gb. Why is there so little storage? I have other drives there with more storage, but you said I should be using the C drive... how can I with only 95gb of overall storage?

joshindaphils
08-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. So I tried getting to disk management but searching "computer management" in my pc yielded no results. I'm not sure if the following picture helps or not, but I did notice something when taking it:

It says my C drive only has 3.78gb of space left out of 95.3gb. Why is there so little storage? I have other drives there with more storage, but you said I should be using the C drive... how can I with only 95gb of overall storage?

He is talking about the search bar in the start menu. You can also right click on 'This PC' (in your screenshot inside of the left sidebar) and then click on 'Manage' from the context menu.

tagger101
08-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Ah I see, sorry. Got it:

Yeah, less than 100gb in my C drive. I don't know why.

joshindaphils
08-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Try this out: https://windirstat.info/

It is an awesome tool that will help you visualize what is taking up your disk space.

Also the warning is for you C volume. The physical disk is partitioned into two volumes, 'C' and 'D'. You can combine these or simply uninstall things and reinstall them to your D volume.

The computer will not automatically place files where there is free space, you must manage this yourself. There are guides on this form you can search for if you want to combine the two columns into one, as well google is your friend here.

You can also disable hibernation on your laptop and free up a good amount of disk space (you can see the space taken up with hyberfil.sys with WinDirStat. Again guides on this form / google.

vempatyappu
08-29-2015, 05:03 PM
It seems your 256GB SSD was split into two Local Disks C and D so you only have 100 GB on C. You can just delete your D drive partition and add the 127 GB to your C drive.
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/266741-delete-logical-partition-increase-volume-c-drive.html
Try this to extend, but before you try anything check if your C is capable of being extended cos sometimes it's disabled - so just right click and check if extend volume is available or not. Also before you decide to extend the C drive move all documents from D drive to some other drive as it will be formatted.

tagger101
08-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Oh okay, thank you. Yeah I'll definitely be doing some research, i'm having a hard time understanding this.

One more question then, if installing games on my C drive makes them run quicker/better, would that still have the same effect if I were to combine the C and D drives as you're saying?

tagger101
08-29-2015, 05:17 PM
It seems your 256GB SSD was split into two Local Disks C and D so you only have 100 GB on C. You can just delete your D drive partition and add the 127 GB to your C drive.
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/266741-delete-logical-partition-increase-volume-c-drive.html
Try this to extend, but before you try anything check if your C is capable of being extended cos sometimes it's disabled - so just right click and check if extend volume is available or not. Also before you decide to extend the C drive move all documents from D drive to some other drive as it will be formatted.

Wow, I read the thread, seems complex. Unless I were to use that software to make it easier, I guess.

I've checked the C drive, and the option to extend is greyed out... so does this mean I can't do it?

I don't have anything on the D drive, well it says some space is taken up on there but there's nothing on it when I open it.

I'm trying to grasp everything fully before messing with it, I'd hate to ruin anything on this new laptop.

( Side note ): It won't let me "delete volume" for the D drive, the only option I can select is "shrink volume"

joshindaphils
08-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Wow, I read the thread, seems complex. Unless I were to use that software to make it easier, I guess.

I've checked the C drive, and the option to extend is greyed out... so does this mean I can't do it?

I don't have anything on the D drive, well it says some space is taken up on there but there's nothing on it when I open it.

I'm trying to grasp everything fully before messing with it, I'd hate to ruin anything on this new laptop.

If you believe that is too complex, then it is probably best to leave it as is / ask a friend for help. Again you can uninstall things and reinstall to D: as C and D are the exact same drive there is no speed difference.

Again check out WinDirStat (look at my old post) to figure out what is taking up all of your disk space.

tagger101
08-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Already gave my computer a nasty virus using one of those sites just now. Trying to fix this problem, and forgetting about trying to merge my drives. Thanks for the help anyway folks.

joshindaphils
08-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Already gave my computer a nasty virus using one of those sites just now. Trying to fix this problem, and forgetting about trying to merge my drives. Thanks for the help anyway folks.

Are you referring to WinDirSat? I assure you there are no viruses the developer is reliable. There is no adware or bundled garbage either. Sometimes free is just that, though you can donate if you like the app. I've been using it for years and years.

I'm no neophyte and I won't suggest anything but solid and reputable software. If you are worried about the certificate issue it is something he is working on, and only a temporary issue you can read his blog on the matter. It is just one guy doing something for free, so little things like this tends to be expected from time to time.

You can check indpendent feedback here: https://www.reddit.com/r/WinDirStat/

It is a great tool.

tagger101
08-29-2015, 10:17 PM
No I downloaded a drive merging software that one of those forums suggested and it installed some nasty programs on my PC, specifically TuneUp Utilities 2014, among a few others. Not sure what to do, now I have a much bigger problem than just drive partitions.

joshindaphils
08-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Oh crap, yeah there is no need for special software to merge the partitions... sorry to hear you got bit like that.

What you are trying to do is a native feature of Disk Manager. You delete the D volume (after making a backup if any needed data) then extend the C volume. It can all be done via right click context menus.

Try doing a full disk scan with Defender. If that doesn't work, you can always go nuclear and reimage the laptop. If Defender detects the virus but can't remove google the viruses name along with removal tool. There is likely a free version, Norton used to provide such removal tools for free, they probably still do so give them a check if needed.

tagger101
08-30-2015, 02:37 AM
Oh crap, yeah there is no need for special software to merge the partitions... sorry to hear you got bit like that.

What you are trying to do is a native feature of Disk Manager. You delete the D volume (after making a backup if any needed data) then extend the C volume. It can all be done via right click context menus.

Try doing a full disk scan with Defender. If that doesn't work, you can always go nuclear and reimage the laptop. If Defender detects the virus but can't remove google the viruses name along with removal tool. There is likely a free version, Norton used to provide such removal tools for free, they probably still do so give them a check if needed.

Thank you for your help with this, it's much appreciated. I learned about that through my research after the virus already took effect, and now it doesn't matter because the drives are the least of my concerns.

I'll be taking my laptop to someone I know who works on computers, and let him know about these suggestions. Hopefully I don't lose my $1800 laptop on day 5..... Very upsetting.

Thanks again for the support.

joshindaphils
08-30-2015, 02:49 AM
Thank you for your help with this, it's much appreciated. I learned about that through my research after the virus already took effect, and now it doesn't matter because the drives are the least of my concerns.

I'll be taking my laptop to someone I know who works on computers, and let him know about these suggestions. Hopefully I don't lose my $1800 laptop on day 5..... Very upsetting.

Thanks again for the support.

Don't worry too much it is only a software issue it can be fixed. It is just a PITA!