PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Gaming Laptop Makers take out the Bluray Drive, and replace it with a GPU

molokow
08-29-2015, 07:35 AM
I Mean really,
Use the space to put components in there.
The motherboard is so small. You could get more power with a larger motherboard. I have never used a cd-rom or dvd for years.
Time to get rid of them, and put some GPU power in that space.
You can always get an external drive if you wish, but you can not easily get an external GPU

Setoku
08-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Or hardrives a 1TB ssd would go nicely :D

Edweird
08-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Uh...what?
There's desktop replacements with SLI setups. Alienware, MSI and Lenovo do it a lot.
Also you can take the optical drive out and put in a 2.5 inch drive, no problems...
Only thing is that bay seems to be either SATAI or SATAII.

It's not a matter of whether they can, it's whether they should. The G751 would not be what it is if it had 2 GPUs, it'd be larger, more expensive and have horrible cooling. Why would you want that? Just get a mini ATX desktop...

The "laptop" form factors currently do not fit well with that idea. A gaming notebook still has to be large to vent well and you can't provide sufficient cooling for a second GPU in the G751, there's not enough space, it's specifically designed to maximize the use of 2 fans and sometimes even that gets overwhelmed...imagine a 3rd massive fan in there with the heatsink, it'll be a blast furnace. You either end up with a stove in laptop form or what we have in the G751, a big thing with good cooling but a hole in the side that needs filling.

Once ~10nm architecture comes around and gaming notebooks start getting passive cooled...maybe.

falkenjeff
08-29-2015, 10:35 AM
I still use DVDs.

aeolisio
08-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I Mean really,
Use the space to put components in there.
The motherboard is so small. You could get more power with a larger motherboard. I have never used a cd-rom or dvd for years.
Time to get rid of them, and put some GPU power in that space.
You can always get an external drive if you wish, but you can not easily get an external GPU
You do realize GPUs arent free right. Go look at the price of the GT80 with your gpu and ask yourself if you would have paid that price difference for 10-15fps and much higher heat output and fan noise. The reason they still include optical drives is consumer polls and honestly that space would be either be empty or another 2.5 slot anyways and since you can get an optical to 2.5 tray or even an optical bay fan. Lenovo made a swappable GPU for the bay but it isnt as great as you would think.