PDA

View Full Version : Raising an app's priority in the CPU.

larry_l
08-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Hi Folks:

For some reason word wrap isn't working as I compose this, so I'll insert my own breaks.
How do I turn it on?

I'm really happy with my year old G750 JZ.

But more is always better.

I'm wondering if there's a way to squeeze a bit more performance out of my CPU.

This is my work machine, so I have no interest in overclocking.

I used to be able to see a graphic representation of the workload of each core, the
amount of network traffic, and disk usage, among other things.

And I believe this was using the task manager, <CTL-ALT-DEL> and then clicking
on "Open Resource Monitor". But today that just gives me some text. No graph or
even text about how much each core is doing.

But I used to be able to see a graph representing the work each core was doing for the
last minute or so.

What am I forgetting to do?

If memory serves, I never saw the use of any core approach 100% for any but a few
brief seconds.

I develop software and play online video games.

My Development environment and code are on the SSD, so there shouldn't be too much
waiting around. Building a 100,000 line C++ program can take five minutes. I'd like to
see the core use approach 100% instead of 20% or 30% to push that along a bit faster.

Games also reside on the SSD. I'm not complaining about World of Tanks running at 60
FPS with all the graphics I want to see maxed, but if I could push that core I'd like to.

I understand that an app that's written to use one thread is only going to use one core.
I understand there are things a computer might be waiting on.

But is there a way to get the selected core to put a little more effort into the application
it's working on?

redduc900
09-02-2015, 05:06 PM
You don't need to manually insert your own line breaks. As you type, the formatting is done for you automatically. Instead of using Task Manager to temporarily change a programs priority, I would create a desktop shortcut to the program and set to run at a specific priority, like High or Above Normal for example.

How to Create a Shortcut to Run an Application with a Specific CPU Priority in Windows
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40287-cpu-priority-shortcut-program-create-windows.html