PDA

View Full Version : G751JT Windows 10 clean install, is it worth?

kingfish
09-01-2015, 06:21 PM
guys, im planning to do a clean install after days of running the laptop with win 10 upgrade. is it really worth to do a clean install of the said OS?

thanks much for your inputs

cheers

aeolisio
09-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Yes having done both on multiple g751s i can attest to it being better to clean install. Why possibly make a driver issue or something else to mess with when it takes the same amount of time to clean install it?

JackMack
09-02-2015, 01:00 AM
anyone had any problems installing win 10 on JT ?

Slavisha
09-02-2015, 04:14 AM
Hi Kingfish,
I think in any case its better to do clean install of the system than working over upgrades. I have JT version too and it works very smooth on my machine. Just make sure before o you do clean install, you get your windows 10 Key written somewhere because it will be different than key you had previously on windows 8 or 7. Here are the steps i did:
1. Use The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder freeware software to retrieve windows 10 key.
2. From the Microsoft Website download exact same windows and i think you probably will have Windows 10 Home version with single language.
3. Create Bootable USB or CD with uefi mode. Make sure you select correct MBR or GPT partition type. my machine boots within 7s from pressing power button to Desktop with uefi mode and GPT partition.
4.Run install of windows...finish installation of all drivers...software you mainly use.
5. Consider using Acronis TrueImage to create Image of your system and store it on another partition or external SD drive. In the future when you need to reinstall windows it literally takes 6 minutes from formatted HDD to have it completely up and running as new.

P.S. I do understand most of the people here are verry knowledgable and by posting this suggestion i didnt meant to insult anyone and what they know. I posted just because i think it might be worth of sharing but you might know even better ways to set up the system.
best,
Slav

kingfish
09-02-2015, 05:39 AM
@aeolisio, @Slavisha

thank you guys for your inputs, will sure do a clean install and get back soon for feedback.

:)

TugaPower
09-02-2015, 09:01 AM
@Slavisha over mine already did 2 clean install and Windows got activated automatically because in Windows 10 hardware ID from PC it's registered on the servers of Microsoft, so when you make a clean install and Windows have a Internet connection it will send your PC ID to the server and get automatically activated. But it's good to have a backup key.

kingfish
09-02-2015, 10:48 AM
noob question? do i need to reformat my drive c only or the whole HDD? i have 1TB and i did a partition out of it making drive c like 500GB.

thanks for your help.

aeolisio
09-02-2015, 11:00 AM
noob question? do i need to reformat my drive c only or the whole HDD? i have 1TB and i did a partition out of it making drive c like 500GB.

thanks for your help.

Only your windows install directory and you will have the option during the install to delete partitions. BE sure you upgrade firth and then clean ionstall to make sure they update your windows key on the servers. I wrote a guide for this i wish they would sticky.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide

kingfish
09-02-2015, 01:35 PM
thanks aeolisto, saw that guide before..anyways...how do i boot using the usb? any guide?

thanks

Slavisha
09-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Thats actually awesome if it works like that. For some reason it asked me to put the serial number. :-(

kingfish
09-03-2015, 02:53 AM
mine also ask for a key..and i installed the PRO version.
Thanks guys for the tips..

cheers

TugaPower
09-03-2015, 05:40 AM
You must have at least connected and with Windows 10 activated to Microsoft servers register you hardware ID. Then wen you clean install just skip the key, when connected to Internet Windows will activate. If you are installing for the frist time Windows 10 you will need the Key.