PDA

View Full Version : Audio Concern - G73sw

RAGUS
12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Issue:
The audio output of my G73sw sounds compressed or somehow effected, not to a large degree, but enough for me (an audio engineer) to dislike.

Question 1)
I have that Realtek HD Audio Manager on my G73sw. Might that be causing it, and can I uninstall that without losing audio?

Question 2)
Are there any audio tools designed for audiophiles such as myself? Specifically that omit any "Simulated Surround" or "Wow effects" or any of that junk?

Detailed issue:
I have a concern that may not really be recognized by the general computer-enthusiast. The audio output of my G73sw seems to be compressed and effected. The sound coming out of the headphone jack is not true to the file being played. I have used several different media players, and have tweaked the settings of each, but nothing changes it.

Realtek HD Audio manager has no observable settings for compression or any other type of processing (though I can hear it and know it is happening). I am accustomed to laptop audio outputs not sounding terribly good, but this obviously sounds like something is actively effecting it, rather than just passively sucking.

Again, this is kind of a nit-picky thing that most people probably wouldn't even notice, but when listen to music through my studio or PA speakers off of the laptop, there is obviously something effecting it. Even if it is only slight, it is more than a man in my industry would like.

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Question 1)
I have that Realtek HD Audio Manager on my G73sw. Might that be causing it, and can I uninstall that without losing audio?
You could try uninstalling it.....but it does includes the Realtek driver for the Realtek chip. I suspect Windows will then install its own generic HD audio driver.

Question 2)
Are there any audio tools designed for audiophiles such as myself? Specifically that omit any "Simulated Surround" or "Wow effects" or any of that junk?
Many owners here use THX TruStudioPro or SRS Essentials to help beef up the anemic audio performance of these skimpy little laptop speakers. It does help, IMO, but there's only so much you can do. I would think you should be able to get decent sound from the headphones, though.

The thing about your question, though, is that you kind of NNED some sort of "wow" crap to get something approximating actual dynamic range.

Again, this is kind of a nit-picky thing that most people probably wouldn't even notice, but when listen to music through my studio or PA speakers off of the laptop, there is obviously something effecting it. Even if it is only slight, it is more than a man in my industry would like.
Is that analog or digital out from the laptop?

RAGUS
12-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Analog output from the laptop.
And I should have been more clear about it only really being a concern when i'm running a line out. The audio coming out of the laptop speakers themselves is fine (they're laptop speakers, what are ya gonna do?).

I will try uninstalling the Realtek thing and see if that does anything. There are drivers for that on the drivers CD that came with the laptop, right? (In case I need to reinstall it)

While we're on the subject, are there any utilities that give me more direct control of the speakers (as in, turn the sub up or down or change crossover points)?

BrodyBoy
12-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Analog output from the laptop.
And I should have been more clear about it only really being a concern when i'm running a line out. The audio coming out of the laptop speakers themselves is fine (they're laptop speakers, what are ya gonna do?).

I will try uninstalling the Realtek thing and see if that does anything. There are drivers for that on the drivers CD that came with the laptop, right? (In case I need to reinstall it)

While we're on the subject, are there any utilities that give me more direct control of the speakers (as in, turn the sub up or down or change crossover points)?
You can always download the latest Realtek driver directly from Realtek. The Asus disk is likely out of date, and the Asus ftp site is something like 30kbps. (I can walk faster than that!)

The Realtek audio manager gives you access to an equalizer, but I'm not sure about crossovers. (That wouldn't really apply to analog 2-channel out, anyway.) I think THX and SRS may let you tweak crossovers, but again....you're limited by the 2-CH analog- crossovers, if you could get them to work, could only limit the frequency range.

Seems like you'd probably be better off running digital out, if you have a better external processor.