PDA

View Full Version : I may have just bricked my g751jy with 209 bios update

AQUASTEVAE
09-02-2015, 03:01 PM
hey,
any help here would be very much appreciated. i formatted my usb drive to fat32, and extracted the 209 bios onto it. i dl the bios right from the g751jy's asus site. booted into bios, went to advanced and started easy flash. chose the 209 bios, it started and asked if i wanted to flash the bios, clicked yes, it started erasing, and the screen went blank. now there seeems to be a boot loop where it keeps checking the dvd player. the screen is still completely blank, the lock icon on the far right side of indicator lights is lit, and so is the lightbulb icon on the far left. any ideas on how to unlock it, or get it to finish flashing the bios?

ciccio80
09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Sound like a bricked motherboard. Did you have the battery fully charged and the notebook plugged in?
Best to RMA it.

Corporal
09-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Some ideas to try out:
Hold the power button for 5 seconds
Spam escape button right after turning on

If that doesn't work, RMA it.
If you can't RMA for whatever reason, you can try taking out the BIOS battery.

AQUASTEVAE
09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
thanks for the effort guys. i have tried all of it, but nothing seems to work. so i am sending it in for rma. thank goodness i'm in america right now. this makes everything ten times easier. if i was out on some remote island, i would just be screwed.

it was fully charged, plugged in, used the same usb that i used to update to 208 bios, formatted to fat32, and did everything just like i always have. just a freak accident. don't really know what was the problem. i dl the 209 bios right off of the g751jy site. crazy crap. but asus rep was cool, and setup the rma, complete with free shipping both ways. so at least that was good.

never had any problems flashing a bios in my entire life. but sometimes crap happens.

oHOWEo
09-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Gutted for you, I used winflash but only because I couldn't get into bios, for some reason esc didn't work. I would of though flashing from bios is the safer option.

ciccio80
09-02-2015, 06:04 PM
MAke photos of the notebook BEFORE sending it in (sometimes repair shops scratch it while repairing it).
Best of luck with RMA. Let us know how long it takes so we have an idea ok?

Boxis
09-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Be happy, you may get motherboard with G-Sync :D

colesdav
09-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi

I have a G751JL and I would like to run a BIOS Update to see if it fixes a similar bricking situation to the one you describe.
As far as I know I have not done anything to update the BIOS on the notebook yet.
I powered it on 2 days ago and all I got were some lights on the front of the keyboard turned on and a lit up backlit keyboard and a blank screen.
The notebook will not even POST.
I downloaded the 209 BIOS update from the Support page. Unzipped it. Put it on a USB stick and plugged the USB stick into a USB port.
I then held down Ctrl and Hold buttons and powered on the Notebook.
The light on the USB stick seems to flash a few times which would indicate to me that it at least is trying to run USB Flashback.
However after this the Notebook reboots and then I am back to the same situation.

Does what I tried to do to update the BIOS seem correct?
was I supposed to rename the unzipped *.bin file to something specific or just leave it as is?

Is the BIOS chip on this G751JL replaceable without desoldering?

Thanks for any replies...
Great Notebook, great benchmark results so far ... until it bricked.

ciccio80
09-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Be happy, you may get motherboard with G-Sync :D

LOL if this would be true, there will be may more "bricked" G751's soon :P

joshindaphils
09-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your new brick.

I find it far easier and safer to flash from the WinFlash tool, many people are confused and think the flashing is done in Windows this is not the case. It just sets up the flash. The big boost in reliability comes from keeping the BIOS image on your primary disk, this being far more reliable than your run of the mill USB stick and removes any possibility of accidental removal of the media (I would hope that is not a legit concern though).

Not saying this was your issue, just advising others on the more reliable method. In reality there is probably little to know difference.

Corporal
09-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Could it be that you guys used the left side USB ports and/or USB 3.0 drives?

colesdav
09-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Could it be that you guys used the left side USB ports and/or USB 3.0 drives?

Hi,

All of the ports on the G751JL are USB 3.0 but I specifically used a USB 2.0 Stick.
I tried both the Left and right hand side rearmost USB3.0 ports to attempt to do the flashback.
I downloaded BIOS Update G751JLAS.203 and renamed it to G751JLAS.bin. Is this renaming correct?
The USB stick drive light did flash for about 10 seconds. Then the Notebook rebooted.

I have been on the phone with Asus Support U.K. They did not know what the correct renaming of the BIOS download was or if it was necessary.
I have an open support call about that. I will be doing some more BIOS reflashing attempts later this evening. If anyone out there does know if renaming the BIOS download file is needed and what it should be renamed to I would be grateful.

Since I cannot get any Video output from the VGA or HDMI ports or the Notebook Screen Asus Support U.K. think I might have a dead GPU or dead GPU connection to the Motherboard as well as or instead of a BIOS chip failure. I have been given a Case number to RMA the Notebook back to the supplier.

Wow. That's a record for me. Dead Notebook RMA'ed with in a couple of days of benchmarking. I used GPU Tweak to only overclock the GPU & GPU Ram frequency. I did not use the advanced GPU Tweak Settings that mess with voltage. I did hit a pretty impressive 3d Mark Firestrike Score of 5707 with the 965M GPU but the reported GPU Temps were still really low. The last Benchmark I ran was Shadow of Mordor on Ultra with the Ultra texture pack loaded where I was seeing Frames: 2182 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 36.367 - Min: 29 - Max: 45 . Could using GPUTweak have killed the GPU? Did the Orcs kill me?

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi,

All of the ports on the G751JL are USB 3.0 but I specifically used a USB 2.0 Stick.
I tried both the Left and right hand side rearmost USB3.0 ports to attempt to do the flashback.
I downloaded BIOS Update G751JLAS.203 and renamed it to G751JLAS.bin. Is this renaming correct?
The USB stick drive light did flash for about 10 seconds. Then the Notebook rebooted.

I have been on the phone with Asus Support U.K. They did not know what the correct renaming of the BIOS download was or if it was necessary.
I have an open support call about that. I will be doing some more BIOS reflashing attempts later this evening. If anyone out there does know if renaming the BIOS download file is needed and what it should be renamed to I would be grateful.

Since I cannot get any Video output from the VGA or HDMI ports or the Notebook Screen Asus Support U.K. think I might have a dead GPU or dead GPU connection to the Motherboard as well as or instead of a BIOS chip failure. I have been given a Case number to RMA the Notebook back to the supplier.

Wow. That's a record for me. Dead Notebook RMA'ed with in a couple of days of benchmarking. I used GPU Tweak to only overclock the GPU & GPU Ram frequency. I did not use the advanced GPU Tweak Settings that mess with voltage. I did hit a pretty impressive 3d Mark Firestrike Score of 5707 with the 965M GPU but the reported GPU Temps were still really low. The last Benchmark I ran was Shadow of Mordor on Ultra with the Ultra texture pack loaded where I was seeing Frames: 2182 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 36.367 - Min: 29 - Max: 45 . Could using GPUTweak have killed the GPU? Did the Orcs kill me?
Its possible though its usually from heat itself not gpu tweak. I have seen one person destroy his gpu with it in all my years but if you google "gpu tweak killed my gpu" there are results.

colesdav
09-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Its possible though its usually from heat itself not gpu tweak. I have seen one person destroy his gpu with it in all my years but if you google "gpu tweak killed my gpu" there are results.

I was really careful to watch the average temps reported by the benchmarking tools I was running. They were not a concern. Even the airflow from the GPU Cooling Vent was not that hot. I did not mess with the GPU voltage at all. GPU Tweak with "TurboMaster" is an advertised feature, so if I have killed the GPU it is still a surprise. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. I will try some more BIOS flashbacks and let you know what happens.

Corporal
09-03-2015, 06:34 PM
which side did you use when you bricked it?

Xehanort
09-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Damn man, really sorry for you. Hope everything works out with the RMA.

This is why i've been crying over BIOS updates ever since I bought my JY. This is some scary s***, which I do NOT intend to suffer through...i'll stick with my shipped 204 BIOS, thank you very much xD

Clintlgm
09-03-2015, 10:44 PM
It all seem to start with the New UEFI, I think we all have always known that upgrading BIOS could brick you motherboard that chance has always been warned of. the G75 seems that we really started getting a lot of bricked notebooks I have stayed with 210 and haven't missed anything in the later BIOS that came out

Edweird
09-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Ah, dang it, I should ahve seen this thread sooner.

I had the exact, Exact, EXACT same thing happen to me when I was trying to upgrade to 208. In fact, it's so much the exact same thing, it's scary.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61268-Unusual-BIOS-flashing-issue-G751JY-Bricked

Bottom line: had to RMA it. Result: they didn't bother with BIOS, changed the motherboard and I got a M.2 slot out of it.I know it sucks buddy. Lesson learned - don't use USB drives to flash G751s. Put it on the harddrive.

I'm surprised, though, I would have thought that more people would have seen the thread considering the issue.

Corporal
09-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Ah, dang it, I should ahve seen this thread sooner.
Fortunately you haven't ;)

I got a M.2 slot out of it.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Fortunately you haven't ;)
Why is that fortunate?

Doesn't matter, the outcome is the same. Might have spared him some time in trying to fix it at all.
I hope you noticed my thread is from 4 months ago. :)

colesdav
09-04-2015, 01:09 PM
which side did you use when you bricked it?

Hi,

Just to clarify to everyone that the G751JL notebook I was running GPU / Gaming FPS benchmarks on bricked BEFORE I attempted to re-flash the BIOS.
I completed benchmarking FPS on Shadow of Mordor ( I had also run Crysis3, Crysis2, Luxmark 3.0, Luxmark 2.0, FurMark, 3DMark 11 Firestrike to name a few). I was running with simple GPU Tweak Overclocking (GPU and memory frequency overclock only). No Intel XTU Overclocking was used for the FPS benchmarking. I was not comfortable overclocking the CPU on this brand new laptop, and given the limited uptick on the multipliers in XTU, I doubt it would help that much in a gaming FPS benchmark score anyhow.

AQUASTEVAE opened this thread. The problem he describes match what I see.
After I completed the Shadow of Mordor FPS Benchmark with Ultra settings, I rebooted the Laptop and it bricked from that point.

I have attempted to reflash the BIOS because the symptoms I am seeing on the notebook are very similar to those I see reported for corrupted BIOS. I attempted reflash from USB 2.0 stick using Ctrl+Hold+Power on method only because I cannot even get the notebook to POST or get any video output to the Notebook screen, or from the HDMI or VGA out ports. ASUS UK Support think either the BIOS is corrupted or the GPU is fried or both in my case. I benchmarked / used the Notebook for 2 days. GPU Temps were fine. I was really impressed with the speed of the machine and the benchmark results especially since it does not even have an SSD fitted yet.

To conclude, in my case, BIOS Flashback did not kill my Notebook in the first place, it is simply not repairing what might be a corrupted BIOS.
I am not even certain what the exact process to do it is (i.e. still no response if I need to rename the downloaded and unzipped 203 BIOS file to something else for it to work).
How that possible BIOS corruption or failed BIOS chip occured in the first place is a mystery to me.
Another possibility is that the 965M was killed by running Shadow Of Mordor Benchmark on Ultra with a moderate GPU Tweak. The Orcs revenge.

Currently packing the Notebook up for an RMA. Will be really sad to see it go. Considering if I should get a replacement G751JL after this experience. It seems such an outstanding piece of engineering but to fail after 2 days is something I have never seen before. I have 2 laptops which I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 8.1 and they have been mostly working for 8 years... Never overclocked their GPU's though I must admit.

Clintlgm
09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Yea the problem is most people don't end up here until something has really gone wrong. Most people pay there money and expect that the product will perform as advertised. And We here might not think so but for most people that is exactly what happen. We mostly see the small percentage of defective notebooks or people that try to do things there not really ready to deal with when thinks go wrong.
With the exception of win 10 being forced on to peoples notebooks and that is Really a MS Program although Asus had plenty of time prepare the needed drivers and instructions to there clientele. The other issues we see a lot of is the left side USB Ports this is how I found these forums and I really don't understand why were 3 generations and still this issue is there.

Rares95
09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
I used WinFlash since December for each BIOS update and never failed me.

colesdav
09-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Edweird,

"RE: Ah, dang it, I should ahve seen this thread sooner.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...G751JY-Bricked"

Thanks for pointing me to your thread. It has given me a few more ideas to try a reflash.

colesdav
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Yea the problem is most people don't end up here until something has really gone wrong. Most people pay there money and expect that the product will perform as advertised. And We here might not think so but for most people that is exactly what happen. We mostly see the small percentage of defective notebooks or people that try to do things there not really ready to deal with when thinks go wrong.
With the exception of win 10 being forced on to peoples notebooks and that is Really a MS Program although Asus had plenty of time prepare the needed drivers and instructions to there clientele. The other issues we see a lot of is the left side USB Ports this is how I found these forums and I really don't understand why were 3 generations and still this issue is there.

Hi,

I buy Asus products because, so far, everything I have bought from them has been really well engineered and thought about.
I don't think that I did anything wrong. I do know how to overclock CPU's and GPU's on PC's for sure, and I only applied a moderate frequency only overclock on this GPU.

I may have just been very unlucky and happened to have got an Asus notebook with a defective 965M / or a 965M with poor connection to the motherboard. By running GPU Benchmarks early on I may found a problem on the GPU/Connection that others may not have found if they had not run the benchmarks. Still pretty shocking to fail so early if this is the case.

colesdav
03-04-2016, 04:53 PM
I chased up Asus about the ROG G751JL Laptop I RMA'ed to ask what the failure was due to.
The BIOS was o.k. Therefore in my case the BIOS Flashback method I used in this thread worked.
The issue was with the display system.

Believe bad connection / dry solder joints between the GPU and the Motherboard was the cause.

Message I received from Asus Support about GPU overclocking with GPU-Z and Turbomaster technology was:
"If you use it, you do so at your own risk."

Having said all of that the laptop was RMA'ed (using Asus supplied RMA number) and
returned to the supplier within 3 days. A replacement was received within another two days last October.
The ASUS and supplier RMA service was outstanding.

The replacement is a brand new G751JL with the 965M processor.
It is still working fine although I decided not to even attempt to overclock the GPU.

Thats it from me.
Hope you find the info useful.

Thanks.
Colesdav.