PDA

View Full Version : Bad products, lousy support

KurokazePT
09-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone,
I purchased a G751JY-T229H in 17th August, 2015, this laptop came with serious defects.
Such as, faulty wireless (7260 AC), SSD at 93% remaining lifetime, Battery at 98% lifetime (not charge levels, we're talking lifetime) and Rapid Storage is non-functional (new drivers doesn't work and can only switch between IDE and SATA mode).

I sent my laptop when it was on his fourth day of use, to Asus for repairing purposes since it was obviously still in his warranty period. And I had it returned without any repairs at all.

I contacted Asus, and they refuse to proceed with any further repairs.

I cannot recommend Asus to anyone. Not even to my clients.
The products come with defects and the support is lacking.

joshindaphils
09-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Not sure how you derived those lifetime values, but you are probably assigning way too much value to those numbers...

Also search the forum, many users have had success using different drivers and setting with the wireless card. As well often the fault lies with the router and not the wireless depending on the nature of your issue (it is counter intuitive but true even if another laptop works with the router).

KurokazePT
09-02-2015, 09:09 PM
I have used several applications that came to the same values. HWInfo, SSDlife...
I have a laptop (a Fujitsu Siemens) that's 13 years old and still has no issues. It works with no routers in the area, mine or otherwise.

Also the laptop, considering it's newly bought it should come at 100%, worst case scenario, 99%. Not below at any of those levels.
Plus, when it came back, the SSD came at 92% when it was 93%, the battery stayed unreplaced, the wireless was switched by another with the same issue, and they "offered" a "cleaning service", which ended up making my computer heat 6C extra.

Corporal
09-02-2015, 11:00 PM
ASUS support is lousy, no doubt about it. (Sound crackling, Touchpad buttons issues unsolved for months)

Such as, faulty wireless (7260 AC)
Have you tried installing the latest wireless driver? That fixed it for me at least. (You'd think the tech support updated the drivers, but don't count on it.)

SSD at 93% remaining lifetime (7260 AC)
This is normal, mine has been at 92% for almost a year now.

Battery at 98% lifetime
This is normal too, because li-ion batteries lose their condition ever if they are not used, just stored.

KurokazePT
09-02-2015, 11:17 PM
ASUS support is lousy, no doubt about it. (Sound crackling, Touchpad buttons issues unsolved for months)
Have you tried installing the latest wireless driver? That fixed it for me at least. (You'd think the tech support updated the drivers, but don't count on it.)

By latest you mean which version in specific? Which one do you have? If that' s ok me asking.

This is normal, mine has been at 92% for almost a year now.

Hmmm... Seriously? It would be normal for in a year space to at least change a single percent, I mean, mine went to the RMA at 93% and came back at 92%. Unless they changed it with another one that was also defective or something.

I'm somewhat at a loss in the middle of all this. It's somewhat absurd.

Also, shouldn't the Rapid Storage technology work? The SSD thing accelerating the HDD?
EDIT: Just figured it out, it was announced as a 256 GB SSD M.2 PciEx4 but it came with a Samsung SATA 3 one... I ain't even commenting on this.

Corporal
09-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Version V17.0.5.8 Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
Haven't had any issues since.

"mine went to the RMA at 93% and came back at 92%" <- it wasn't a whole percent, it was probably at 92.6 and went down to 92.4
No worries, the SSD lifetime will surely surpass the lifetime of the laptop. It's most likely that the SSDs used are manufactured with 93% lifetime left. Mine was just the same, I don't think it's a coincidence.

KurokazePT
09-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Version V17.0.5.8 Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
Haven't had any issues since.

Installed the latest, then installed this one you mentioned.
Speeds keep changing around, 300mbps, 60mbps, 243mbps, never stable. Got older laptops working without issue.

I suppose I'll have to buy an external USB wifi adapter... Boy do I regret this computer... Loads of issues, and no support what so ever.

Clintlgm
09-03-2015, 12:56 AM
This is interesting, I just checked my 2 Samsung 850 pro the 256gb has been running my OS for a year or so. and the 1 TB several months the both show 100% lifetime left? and my Battery on this 3+ year old notebook battery shows 19.6% ware level currently 96.4% full. I have never used this battery for anything but a UPS. I never really thought about the lifetime of a SSD even the Liteonit 256 gb SSD is still running in my front counter business desktop. is showing 96% life remaining.
What kind of SSD or what are you guys doing to get this much ware on them?

KurokazePT
09-03-2015, 01:09 AM
I bought the computer, that's pretty much what I did.

I started to notice the issues with the wireless on the 3rd day of use, so I start checking for other issues. Ended up finding the SSD wear and such.

Only thing I did was a clean reinstallation of Windows 8... And added my games. All of this was into the HDD, I didnt touch the SSD expecting to use it for the Rapid Storage only, which I later on found it isn't usable since they placed a SATA3 SSD for some reason.

Before RMA, I ended up using the SSD to install Europa Universalis IV, played the game for 4-5 hours. And that's pretty much it to this very day.
I'm going to purchase the USB wireless thing tomorrow. I've given up on trying to understand what the hell is on Asus mind. According to more local forums (portuguese forums) and complaint websites, Asus doesn't even seem to fix issues with motherboards and such when PCs are still on warranty in most situations. So I don't even why they bother claiming they offer warranty around here. Either do, or don't. Just don't falsely promise it.

Oh, and did I mention the PC heats 6C extra playing World of Tanks after coming from the RMA? Loved that. Had CPU at 82C and GPU at 76C now it's CPU at 86C and GPU at 79-81C... Lovely. Im just hoping it wont burn the laptop.

Clintlgm
09-03-2015, 01:58 AM
Perhaps you can PM cl-albert he is our Customer Loylaty Asus rep in this forum, he is here in the states but perhaps he can put you in contact with a cl- in your region. I really have no idea what warranty Asus has in the rest of the world.

KurokazePT
09-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Quick question before anything else, there is no way to change the wireless without voiding my warranty is there? 'cos I would REALLY like to install the Intel on my old Acer Aspire 5738G... At least the Intel Wifi 5100 was perfect in all aspects (Or at least the ones that matter).
I'm talking changing the wireless, but ofc, keeping the other one in case it has to go back to the warranty (if this one isn't voided).

Some people online claim the only one that can be voided is the screw on the cooler, other people claim is right at the beginning... So I really would like to know.

Hence why I somewhat assumed this would be as well, considering one of my other laptops has a Intel 3945ABG as well and has no issues whatsoever; Apparently tho, newer models of the wifi cards are problematic like everything be it 7260 or 7265...

Edweird
09-03-2015, 08:34 AM
I can't speak for others but in my experience, there is nothing indicating warranty such as stickers etc. but that's on mine, yours could be different.
The Intel AC Wireless card has also been flawless for me.

navis995
09-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Depends. My G750JZ had void stickers over CPU and GPU and there is also one over WIFI chip. You can open your laptop without voiding the warranty. Once you see a sticker over it THAT is when you'll void it if you break that off that is.

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Quick question before anything else, there is no way to change the wireless without voiding my warranty is there? 'cos I would REALLY like to install the Intel on my old Acer Aspire 5738G... At least the Intel Wifi 5100 was perfect in all aspects (Or at least the ones that matter).
I'm talking changing the wireless, but ofc, keeping the other one in case it has to go back to the warranty (if this one isn't voided).

Some people online claim the only one that can be voided is the screw on the cooler, other people claim is right at the beginning... So I really would like to know.

Hence why I somewhat assumed this would be as well, considering one of my other laptops has a Intel 3945ABG as well and has no issues whatsoever; Apparently tho, newer models of the wifi cards are problematic like everything be it 7260 or 7265...
Out of 30+ g751s ay work none have problems with the intel card so its probably your config but changing the wireless card will not void your warranty but if you send it in without the original card they will void your warranty under hardware change so keep the old one to swap.

KurokazePT
09-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Is the warranty system different from country to country or is it something somewhat more global? I would really like to know before I go on "adventures". I would like to switch the 7260 for an old 5100 I got that works flawlessly.

So, if I change the wireless, but if I need to send it to warranty, I just change it back and it's good?...

Doesn't the warranty void if we remove screws or something?

Edweird
09-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Screws - no. There's a misonception that the blue stuff on laptop screws is so that they can tell if you've tampered with them or something when it's actually just thread locking solution.

Unless there's a sticker to be damaged or if you actually damage any of the parts - they shouldn't be able to tell.

There are differences between coutnries, yes.
I was in the UK and a friend's N61 had stickers where mine did not - but both had stickers over the CPU/GPU heatsinks. (Tbh the fan, CPU and GPU, wireless card and RAM were all accessible under just 1 cover on that.)

KurokazePT
09-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Wouldnt there happen to be any sticker holding some junction or something so as I lift the thing, it rips off the warranty?...

Edweird
09-03-2015, 03:26 PM
If that was true, when they open it, how would they be able to tell if it was you or they who broke the seal? :D

molokow
09-03-2015, 10:20 PM
I think we should all get together and keep up the input into problems.
These guys by not acting are only doing themselves damage to their reputation.
Sorry, but it is true.

KurokazePT
09-03-2015, 10:33 PM
What temperatures do your G751JY's run? After an instance run on WoW, at high performance power plan I had CPU at 87C maximum and GPU at 87C.

Should I be concerned?...

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 05:06 AM
Never had my 980 anywhere near that high but the cpu is fine. Your ambient affects results aswell you may be 10 degrees higher in ambient then me or someone else so keep that in mind and search the threads there are tons of threads answering that same question.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 06:26 AM
As a baseline 78-80 degrees is considered good temperatures on the JY. That's with the 4710/4720/4750.

navis995
09-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Drop voltage on on CPU by 80mV and set temperature limit to 85C on MSI Afterburner.

KurokazePT
09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
I know undervolting the CPU by a bit wont harm much, as I did that on my Acer and HP. But wouldn't the temperature limit on MSI Afterburner make my GPU throttle?..

Edweird
09-04-2015, 11:45 AM
That's the idea.

KurokazePT
09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
... That's somewhat the opposite of what I want. I want to achieve 100% of what the machine can while having acceptable temperatures, considering that its heat increased by 6C after the RMA, I only want to somewhat get acceptable temperatures, if I wanted to have anything throttling I would've gone MSI or another brand.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Well, it's not really throttling, it's more lightly limiting the performance so that that temperature is maintained at the set level. There isn't a magic stick you can wave to make it work cooler.

KurokazePT
09-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Throttling is limiting the performance due to temperature/voltage factors, so... It is a sort of manual throttling.

I do realize there isn't a magic stick, however, it was working perfectly before getting RMA'd. I'll just get a nice cooling pad from Coolermaster.
The amount of issues surrounding this laptop has been nothing short of disappointment. First the initial problems now the extra 6C after getting RMA'd...

If only I could be sure that around here I would be able to just open the laptop switch the wireless at will and be able to clean the cooler (at least rid of the dust) without hurting the warranty it would be great, but alas, I doubt I'll ever be allowed to do that.
Which is somewhat ironic, considering I have a computer store and that's pretty much some of the many things I constantly have to do. Meh.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 01:16 PM
If you have a computer store, you should be more than capable of figuring out how warranty works.
I opened up the thing to clean it out last month since I've owned it for 9 months now. There was nothing. Barely a thin coat of microscopic dust.
The wireless AC card is easy to access for anyone who knows how to twist a screwdriver.

You have to take out the rubber fillings over the screws on the bottom of the machine, then take out (almost) all screws.
You can use an old credit / any plastic card and shim out the keyboard top slowly and carefully till all the tabs pop. Then (or before if you want) you have to pop out the section behind the screen, it has the speakers in it. It's held in by 2 more screws. You have to do this because those screws also hold the keyboard top by 2 "ears". Once those are out, you can lift the top carefully to not break any cables and then you have access to the 2nd set of memory slots and the wireless card.

To access the fans however, you have to take the whole motherboard out in my experience. On my old N61JY, you had access to the fan, CPU, GPU, RAM and wifi card all under just 1 user-accessible plate of plastic.