PDA

View Full Version : Help! Spilled coffee over my G751JT!

blueyurble
09-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Hello guys!

So I spilled a good 2-300 ml of warm coffee over the bottom side of my laptop. Even though the liquid only spilled to the mouse pad, space bar and the first line of keys over the space bar, keys like p, enter, don't work anymore, while keys like m, v, so just over the area where the coffee made contact, work fine. Keys that are no longer working are space, enter, left control, windows key, up and down arrows, p, and n. So quite random if you ask me. (Not to forget the mouse pad, with which I can still move the mouse around but the click does not work -not on the touch pad nor the left and right click buttons..)
I think I made a big mistake by turning my laptop off immediately but turning it on again to see if it worked.. then I got a blue screen with a sad face and this text: "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." Error code "memory_management. I should mention I am running windows 8.1. The error collecting process got to 100% fairly quickly, then got stuck at100% for about 15th minutes, then shut down.

My questions for you guys are:
*can it be only a keyboard/TouchPad issue? Need to mention the laptop seems to be working fine -I turned it on once again after the blue screen event and I couldn't see any other issues - except the keys and touch pad not working.
*if I go with it to an authorised service, will it still void my warranty? I got a 2 year warranty that does not include accidents such as spills, but I still got over 1 year and an half of it, and I want to know if by spilling liquid on the laptop, is it automatically rendered void?

TL; DR: spilled coffee over keyboard, laptop seems to work fine but some keys + touch pad not working at all.can it be a keyboard only issue? Is my warranty rendered void just because I spilled liquid on it?

Thank you guys in advance for any ideas you may have before I go to an authorized Asus service place and sorry for the long post.

Corporal
09-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Turn off your laptop (5 seconds on the power button) and take it apart immediately. Don't worry, your warranty is void already. Plug out the power cord from the battery, take out the components and dry them, clean the stains with alcohol.

Don't let yourself be fooled by the laptop seeming working again. It may die on you unexpectedly after a few hours of use, when the water gets further down.

vempatyappu
09-03-2015, 02:27 AM
Did you register for ASUS ADP when you bought the laptop? As long as I remember we're offered 1 year of ASUS ADP atleast in US.

blueyurble
09-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Turn off your laptop (5 seconds on the power button) and take it apart immediately. Don't worry, your warranty is void already. Plug out the power cord from the battery, take out the components and dry them, clean the stains with alcohol.

Don't let yourself be fooled by the laptop seeming working again. It may die on you unexpectedly after a few hours of use, when the water gets further down.

I let it dry over night and now I turned it on again to back up my files before bringing it to a service. I do not have the tools nor the skills to take it apart on my own :( I called Asus and the guy there didn't know what to tell me, just to send it to service. I was just wondering if there would still be a chance for only the keyboard/touch pad to be broken, not the motherboard or graphics card and so on..

Thanks a lot for the quick response!!

blueyurble
09-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Did you register for ASUS ADP when you bought the laptop? As long as I remember we're offered 1 year of ASUS ADP atleast in US.

No, I am from Romania and sadly, here you only get a standard warranty of 2 years :(

Corporal
09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
I let it dry over night and now I turned it on again to back up my files before bringing it to a service.
If you were able to back up your files, your components aren't broken. Be aware that the service might try to "sell" you a new mainboard, even though your old one isn't broken.

navis995
09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
You literally need just a screw driver that fits the holes. You're telling me you don't have screwdrivers in your home?

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 01:26 PM
As others suggested i would disassemble it immediately clean every component with alcohol flush the keyboard with alcohol and let everything dry 90 percent of the time that will fix it.

joshindaphils
09-03-2015, 02:40 PM
As others suggested i would disassemble it immediately clean every component with alcohol flush the keyboard with alcohol and let everything dry 90 percent of the time that will fix it.

Just to add, I recommend letting it dry overnight just to be 100% safe. Alcohol can get in between things that makes it take longer to dry than anticipated.

navis995
09-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Not if you get the alcohol that's actually meant for cleaning. That one evaporates almost immediately after you use it.

blueyurble
09-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Hey guys!
First of all, thanx for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!
I come back now with some news: I brought the laptop to an authorized service of Asus here in Romania. After a few days, I called and they told me that following components were affected and need to be replaced: motherboard, keyboard, touchpad and card reader, but they did not give me a price, they will call me later on...
My question for you guys is this: do you know what is the exact name of the motherboard for ASUS ROG G751JT, so I can research online and see how much a new motherboard would cost?

Furthermore, what do you recommend? Should I let them replace it, or take it to another service to confirm the fact that it is indeed damaged?

Thank you so very much!

blueyurble
09-08-2015, 04:10 PM
If you were able to back up your files, your components aren't broken. Be aware that the service might try to "sell" you a new mainboard, even though your old one isn't broken.

Hey Corporal! What you said here just happend to me.. so the guys at the service told me the motherboard needs to be replaced.. they said that "even though the laptop was functioning when I brought it to them, the motherboard is still damaged and might malfunction in the future, so it needs to be replaced now". What do you think? Thank you so much in advance mate!

Corporal
09-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Yeah, well, this is likely a load of bull****, and your romanian service wants to screw you over. It was a big mistake to bring it to the service while the MB was still functioning.

"My question for you guys is this: do you know what is the exact name of the motherboard for ASUS ROG G751JT, so I can research online and see how much a new motherboard would cost?"
It would cost a small fortune, about 1400 I think.

If I were you, I would probably somehow take the laptop out of the "authorized" romanian "service" and assemble it back myself (without giving them any time to spend with it). If you tell them you don't need their repair service, they will likely break your motherboard on purpose, if they haven't already. Just show up in person, and demand that you want to take your components immediately. You will have to pay for their "work" though.

Assuming you get your laptop back, clean it up, connect everything except keyboard/touchpad and test it. If it works, you can order a new keyboard / touchpad via the service, and assemble it yourself.

aeolisio
09-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Hey guys!
First of all, thanx for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!
I come back now with some news: I brought the laptop to an authorized service of Asus here in Romania. After a few days, I called and they told me that following components were affected and need to be replaced: motherboard, keyboard, touchpad and card reader, but they did not give me a price, they will call me later on...
My question for you guys is this: do you know what is the exact name of the motherboard for ASUS ROG G751JT, so I can research online and see how much a new motherboard would cost?

Furthermore, what do you recommend? Should I let them replace it, or take it to another service to confirm the fact that it is indeed damaged?

Thank you so very much!
The boards are easy to change and you could use any g751 board but it will determine your gpu and cpu
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G751JT-Laptop-Motherboard-w-Intel-i7-4710HQ-2-5Ghz-CPU-60NB06M0-MB1240-/151755355241?hash=item235552f469

blueyurble
09-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Yeah... that's a huge bummer...
Well, even if I show up in person and demand my laptop back, they can always say it's in another center and I need to come back the next day to take it, time by which they can break it on purpose..

Idea: can the motherboards be "fixed" instead of replaced? After all, the laptop was functioning normally... I am a total newb at these things (i.e. I spilled coffe over it...) so please do not take my questions as offensive.. I just spent so much money on this machine and now it is a complete bummer to have to pay 1/2 of the price just on a new motherboard!

Nevertheless, thanx a lot! I really don't have anyone to give me advice on this..

blueyurble
09-08-2015, 05:44 PM
The boards are easy to change and you could use any g751 board but it will determine your gpu and cpu
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G751JT-Laptop-Motherboard-w-Intel-i7-4710HQ-2-5Ghz-CPU-60NB06M0-MB1240-/151755355241?hash=item235552f469

Hey aeolisio!
I see on this link that also the processor is included in the price ($600). Am I correct in assuming that without the processor, only the motherboard would be fairly cheaper?

Thanx!

Corporal
09-08-2015, 08:57 PM
You can't order it without the CPU and GPU, because they are soldered onto it.

You should still try to get your laptop back, because you don't have anything to lose. Replacing the motherboard will always be more expensive in a service center.

"Well, even if I show up in person and demand my laptop back, they can always say it's in another center and I need to come back the next day to take it, time by which they can break it on purpose.." It can happen, but maybe it will turn the odds in your favor. Go for it.

Nader
09-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Why the Hell did you tell them that you spread coffee into it.
they wouldn't know and I think they are bragging for money.

Nader
09-08-2015, 09:32 PM
if they charge you higher
buy the mother board from Ebay and give it to ASUS To install it.

In Any case I hope you learned your lesson
I learned mine with my last Toshiba laptop where I spilled coffee too and had worse issues (screen backlight malfunctioned horribly).

Corporal
09-08-2015, 09:35 PM
give it to ASUS To install it.
They could break the new motherboard and say it didn't work from the start, to make him order the "official" motherboard

aeolisio
09-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey aeolisio!
I see on this link that also the processor is included in the price ($600). Am I correct in assuming that without the processor, only the motherboard would be fairly cheaper?

Thanx!
The only way to go cheaper is to watch ebay for a pull or broken screen g751 they pop up from time to time.
Skip the service center do the replacement yourself it really isnt hard watch the video on youtube or send it to someone who knows how. Heck send it to me with the new board and a tube of Noctua NT-H1and ill swap it for free it doesnt take but 30 mins.

blueyurble
09-12-2015, 05:17 AM
Hello again guys!
So I asked the technicians at the service to send me some photos so I can see exactly how the components were damaged. I will attatch the photos here below. Question: on the 1st photo with the hard disk, why does it say 500GB with 5400 RPM? I have a 1TB HDD with 7200 RPM.

Drunkenninja
09-12-2015, 06:52 AM
I repaired consoles and laptops, even car electronics in the past and I will give you my recommendation. 1st thing I will say is when spilling liquid on electronics turn it off immediately, the liquid causes no harm to the Laptop, it's how the liquid conducts the electricity to other board components that can cause the most serious damage, a small blown capacitor may seem like nothing but when there are thousands of capacitors on a board, good luck finding the one blown when each must be tested off the board.

The others are right the service centre is definitely tying to rip you off, its's almost impossible for all those components to be effected!!!

What you need to do is flush the motherboard with Standard Thinners, It's more aggressive than alcohol, i'm not a fan of alcohol unless its 100% cause your putting anything from 1% water on the board if not, it also doesn't clean very well in comparison with more aggressive substances like thinners or MEK. (IF YOU USE THINNERS OR MEK ONLY PUT THIS ON THE MOTHERBOARD, IT WILL MELT PLATICS LIKE THE KEYBOARD OR TOUCHPAD - Componants that appear plastic on the Motherboard are fine they are resistant) If you can find a repair shop with a ultrasonic cleaner (a large one that fits a laptop motherboard) I would pay for a simple cleaning cause that's stage 1 of any liquid damage repair sorted.

After you clean the board it should be left in a well ventilated area for between 24-48 hours in an upside down or side ways, position, as others suggested you can then start rebuilding the laptop adding conponants by elimination, use a usb keyboard and mouse for example in your 1st test.

Hope it helps, and steer clear of that centre, I bet there are some great repair centres online if you can send the board abroad, have a sniff around. Some of those marks in your images may be glue, I have opened hundreds of machines with marks like those that have never been subject to liquid damage, start by eliminating the keyboard they hate liquid damage.

blueyurble
09-12-2015, 07:07 AM
And what about the inscription on the HDD? Why does it say 500 GB with 5400 RPM when I have 1TB with 7200 RPM? I need to know if this is normal because otherwise I need to argue with them at the service center to give my HDD back!

joshindaphils
09-12-2015, 07:27 AM
That first pic is not your laptop, it is not a G751. Check my disassembly thread for a comparison: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics

blueyurble
09-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Oh, God. What about the other pics? Do they look like a G751JT to you? Thank you kind sir for the fast response.

joshindaphils
09-12-2015, 07:40 AM
You can reference the pics in the link I posted for yourself. It is quite evident.

The second pic is not a G751 keyboard assembly... The others are all clearly pics of a G751.

This could very well be a legitimate mistake as there are two images of a keyboard assembly one unknown one a G751, if the goal was to con you it would be a very poor attempt.

molokow
09-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Don't drink coffee near your laptop..
Everyone knows this...
=)

aeolisio
09-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Don't drink coffee near your laptop..
Everyone knows this...
=)
Maybe keep replies to something helpful..
Everyone knows this...

blueyurble
09-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Maybe keep replies to something helpful..
Everyone knows this...

It's ok, he's right. Still not everyone does that but maybe more people can learn from my experience :D