PDA

View Full Version : 4720HQ,What's within thermal limits?

thetanaz
09-03-2015, 05:58 AM
I'have a JY model with 980m and 4720HQ and when I am playing something heavy like GTA V for 30min-1 hour my CPU temperatures go up to 82 sometimes 86 degrees C.Those are ofcourse peak temperatures and last for seconds and the CPU itself never throttles.I tried undervolting it but unfortunately it isn't stable beyond -30mv without any overclock.Should I be worried and is this going to destroy my CPU in a year or something?I have seen all kinds of temperatures throughout the forums from 75C to 95C.And for the record ambient temperature is very cool and forgiving around 22-23C.I am not a technician and it would be difficult for me to replace thermal paste oh and one last detail I tried notebook fan control but every time I boot up it starts buzzing my fans and also sometimes it bugs out and it rapidly turns the RPM up and down again.So thoughts on temperatures and tips on improvement.(Windows 10,latest drivers)

Edweird
09-03-2015, 06:41 AM
It'll be fine, it's designed to work at those temperatures.
What baffles me is why it can't go down beyond -30mV, that's terrible.
You must have gotten a worse die than is usual.

Temps probably won't kill it but something else might.

I wouldn't count on it, though. Also, Notebook Fan Control shouldn't be doing that, that sounds like you have other problems.
I'd try a clean Win10 install with the drivers and checking if it still does that - it could be the thermal probes in your core components could be buggy and causing erratic behaviour.

Might have to RMA it.

thetanaz
09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Today it reached 91C which is a record and it does it only in GTA V.It's not like I have it maxed out I've toned it down to get consistent 60-90 fps.Every other game keeps it at 78-82C top (Battlefield 4,MK10,NB2K etc).Im pretty sure NFC doesn't work for some other reason and not a broken sensor because everywhere else my CPU temperature is showing correctly only inside of NFC it bugs out and goes to - 1 billion C sometimes.Should I be worried or is it a GTA thing

Edweird
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Well, my i7-4710 hits 90 sometimes in Armored Warfare and Star Citizen sometimes so...I guess not.

Nader
09-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Its normal I believe those game are badly optimized that they take what ever left from your GPU Power.
Games like Watchdog,GTA Does that.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I'd say that GTA is an excellently optimized game considering the way it runs on our machines. Taking what's left is exactly what they should be doing.
Not using your hardware fully when it should be is bad optimization.

Rares95
09-04-2015, 10:02 AM
My 4710HQ went to like 95*C 2 days ago...but again i am in Malta (like 36 degrees ambient). Hopefully when i come back temps will go back as they used to (92*C max)

thetanaz
09-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Reading over on the Alienware forums many people experience throttling with those CPUs because the 15's don't have an adequate cooling it seems.So conclusion is these processors are not exactly great with thermals I guess.What's incredible is that the top of the laptop is barely warm and the fans are not running nearly as loud as on my Macbook with a singlefan and an integrated gpu.I guess ASUS are all about showcasing how quiet it is but sometimes it's not that great if your CPU is running at 90C

Edweird
09-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Uhm...no. The G751 has excellent cooling, among the best in the product segment.

These CPU are really just very hot, there's no going around that. It being quiet I'd say is more of an after effect of the fan being buried in 2 tons of copper radiator.

Other notebooks (MSI, Lenovo, Acer I'm looking at you) with these CPUs just plain overheat and throttle themselves into nothing while the G751 still manages to keep at or below 90 degrees.

Needs a bit of perspective - like the XP941 and SM951 SSDs having something like 125 degrees Celsius as a thermal gate.

thetanaz
09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
I guess I just got false expectations from all these reviewers that state temps of 75C and I bet they were just running like a 5 minute benchmark or gaming for 10 minutes and then stated those numbers.I have OCD for PC health cause I spent a lot of my sweet earned pennys on it and I want it to be in top notch condition.Thanks for responses I am calm now lol

Edweird
09-04-2015, 10:17 AM
75-80 degrees IS the average temperatures. Very few games (or any software, really) would push either the GPU or CPU over 82-84 degrees under normal conditions.

thetanaz
09-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Well I get like:
38-42C web browsing/idle
55-60C light gaming League Of legends
65-70C Dota 2
75-80C MK 10
and only BF4,GTA and NBA 2K have pushed it over the 80 mark so far.
I guess if we're playing the avarage numbers game it is averaging out at 75 lol
GPU stays around 70 btw never seen high numbers from the 980 it seems cool

thetanaz
09-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Sorry to rebump this thread but what I found that was interesting is that GTA never used more than 60% of the CPU according to XTU and MSI Afterburner. yet it is unclear why the CPU runs at these temperatures.Also I managed to get it up to -40mV but at around 55-60 it starts being unstable and at -50 I've had it like glitch out for a sec in games/videos like a momentary freeze and even the sound glitches can't explain it better lol.I have overclocked the GPU to +135/+190 which is pretty stable.I am wandering if I can/should unlock the GPU Voltage or is it unnecessary?Didn't want to open a seperate thread for that and when I google 980m overclock guide it comes out on a different notebook and it's quite unclear cause it didn't have the proper cooling.Anyone tried modding vbios or something please give me opinions/guidance.

thetanaz
09-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Okay another bump this time for scientific reasons.I noticed that when I set my maximum processor state to 99% I get a maximum frequency of around 50-100mhz less but a 10 degree drop in temperature while gaming.Can anyone explain the science behind this and what is changing so drastically?

zerbi
09-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Regarding to Intel the max Temp is 100 degrees
http://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

unclewebb
09-12-2015, 02:23 AM
When you go into the Control Panel - Power Options and set the Maximum processor state to 99%, this will disable Intel Turbo Boost. Instead of your 4720HQ being able to turbo up to 3.6 GHz when needed, it will be limited to a maximum of 2.6 GHz. A drop of only 1% seems minor but this setting will cause a huge drop in CPU performance. The percentage drop in CPU speed is a lot greater than the 1% number would lead you to believe.

It is not all bad though. As you found out, less CPU performance equals less power consumption and a lot less heat output. For gaming, this huge drop in CPU performance may be barely noticeable depending on the game. If a game is GPU limited, you can drop the speed of the CPU significantly and will barely notice a difference in frame rates.

Windows allows full Turbo Boost or no Turbo Boost and nothing in between. If there are situations where you would like some Turbo Boost, check out a program called ThrottleStop. This will give you full control of your 4th Gen CPU, including voltage adjustment so you can fine tune your laptop's performance to better match the games you are playing without the CPU core temperature going beyond the level that you are comfortable with.

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc

Intel does state that the "maximum safe operating temperature" is 100C but some manufacturers have decided to ignore this advice and have reduced this temperature in the bios. ThrottleStop can report what your actual throttling temperature (PROCHOT) has been set to.

thetanaz
09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
That is exactly what I thought but in HWMonitor it says that I've achieved a maximum CPU speed ot 3.5ghz which is well above the default 2.6ghz non-turboboost value.Oh well perhaps you're right and the program is wrong because -10C don't come from 100 mhz difference that's for sure.