PDA

View Full Version : Driver Sweeper

kevinloh
12-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I have a G53SW and I'm thinking of updating the graphics driver. But I've not done this before, and I heard that you need this software called Driver Sweeper to completely clean up your driver files. So here are my questions:

1. Is it really necessary to use Driver Sweeper to clean up driver files?
2. Those who have used this software, any comments about it?
3. I've read reviews online that said this software can mess up stuff, did anyone encounter that?

Thanks.

fuzon1337
12-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi

I would say that it's not necessary to use Driver Sweeper when you're going to update your graphics driver.

If you encounter on any issues with your graphics driver and want to uninstall all the graphic drivers then I would say that you could use Driver Sweeper to clean up the remaining files that is on your notebook after a uninstall.

Other than that it's just to download new drivers and then install them, perhaps other members in this forum is not agreed with me about this but this is what I do :)

If you want to clean the register after uninstalls or something like that I would recommend CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) :)

BrodyBoy
12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I have a G53SW and I'm thinking of updating the graphics driver. But I've not done this before, and I heard that you need this software called Driver Sweeper to completely clean up your driver files. So here are my questions:

1. Is it really necessary to use Driver Sweeper to clean up driver files?
2. Those who have used this software, any comments about it?
3. I've read reviews online that said this software can mess up stuff, did anyone encounter that?

Thanks.
If you're installing an Nvidia driver, it includes the option to "perform a clean installation." You can just use that option to clear out the remnants of old drivers.

chrsplmr
12-18-2011, 11:19 PM
why...no space?

JRd1st
12-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Driver remnants can cause stability or performance issues.

kevinloh
12-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Thank you for the replies!

Driver remnants can cause stability or performance issues.
Hi JRd1st, have you used Driver Sweeper before? How's it? Did it cause any issues for you?

JRd1st
12-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the replies!

Hi JRd1st, have you used Driver Sweeper before? How's it? Did it cause any issues for you?

I have used DriverSweeper with no problems except once, after sweeping the nVidia display driver, I could not install a new driver because "Windows could not find a compatable device" or something like that, so I no longer use DriverSweeper but keep it installed for "Just in case" emergencies.

I believe that between Win7 and the driver installers, the driver remnants are taken care of one way or another. The nVidia driver installer seems to do a good job of getting rid of the old drivers. There is even a "Clean Install" option which deletes the nVidia Control Panel settings from the previous installation.

In short, use DriverSweeper in emergencies only. Also, DriverCleaner.NET (http://www.drivercleaner.net/) is very good.

HiVizMan
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I have used drivesweeper in the past and for the most part never had an issue. One time with Vista OS there was a device not found issue (my sound card of all things) after I had cleaned up a graphic driver.

But if you are using Windows7 there is little need to use a third-party driver removal tool. I simply boot into OS in safe mode and un-install the drivers from the control panel - with the latest Nvidia drivers I go the safe mode and select the clean install option.

Done deal with no problems.

kevinloh
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Sounds great, thank you for the replies people!

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 03:23 PM
+1 HiVizMan - I like your idea of uninstalling and installing drivers from safe mode. It may help reduce potential conflicts with other running drivers during those operations. It also eliminates problems caused by memory leaks since you are restarting the system before proceeding.

Could save people some trouble. I remember a recent case where someone updated the Atheros Bluetooth driver and it corrupted his account so that he no longer had Administrative privileges. He didn't have permissions to access Windows System Restore to undo the damage.

MOBB80
12-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm still using stock drivers because i can't to update to ATI CCC 11.12, once thru regular ways that was impossible (when updating CCC stop working but not crashes) and I had to use system restore to remove and avoid further consequences.
I've used driver sweep to remove ATI Radeon HD 5870m like mentioned somewhere here to remove all the crap (yes I did using safe mode) but when installing the new drivers looks like nothing happened and laptop runs only the AMD standard VGA. Should I do a fresh reinstall of the Win 7 instead? All games are running well execpt METRO 2033 (makes the gpu fan throttle) Battlefield 3 and RAGE (requires CCC 11.12) and DeusEX (closes during prompting questions) :-(

hope someone give me a hand on this

PS: I've already updated the bios (213) and the VBios using the method and files listed here in the ROG forum