PDA

View Full Version : Why does my optical drive keep opening?

MelvinZ
09-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Hey there,

I'm a bit new to the whole computer scene. That being said I already know more than the typical user, but am still lacking lots of just general knowledge. As such I would like to learn everything I can, so please bear with me if I don't understand something.

Now that that's out of the way, I just got a new G551 with windows 8 pre installed and ever since I turned it on, through the whole setup process, the entire time I was upgrading to windows 10, and the entire time I've been using 10, the optical drive has been opening randomly.

I have no idea why it is doing this, and I can't find any program myself that I believe would cause this. I know it must be some sort of program because it hasn't happened to me when in the BIOS and it doesn't appear to be triggered by touching it in certain ways as I have read other people complain about.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks in advance!

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Have you tried inserting a disc and ejecting it? Software can signal an eject especially if its waiting for a disk but a restart should have finished that.

MelvinZ
09-05-2015, 08:55 PM
I've done plenty of that I've been turning it off and on over the course of just general use in the past few days. I've even been trying to install ubuntu, which is a separate problem. but yes, have turned it off and on again, and inserted and ejected multiple disks.

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 09:09 PM
i doubt you have anything physically lodged in the button so you next course would be either reinstalling programs one by one or a clean install of windows to remove any other possible issues besides the hardware. If its new you might find it easier to just exchange it wherever you bought it and chalk it up to a defect.

MelvinZ
09-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Yeah, it's new. And I've really been trying to avoid returning it cause I got it through amazon and I don't wanna wait to have it fixed and sent back.

I did manage to get ubuntu working on it for a brief period of time though and the disk drive didn't open once that I can recall during that period, so it's probably a windows problem. I might just try doing a clean install of windows 10 and wiping the hard drive entirely. Think there might be anything wrong with doing that? I already have a boot disk for windows 10 made.

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Yeah, it's new. And I've really been trying to avoid returning it cause I got it through amazon and I don't wanna wait to have it fixed and sent back.

I did manage to get ubuntu working on it for a brief period of time though and the disk drive didn't open once that I can recall during that period, so it's probably a windows problem. I might just try doing a clean install of windows 10 and wiping the hard drive entirely. Think there might be anything wrong with doing that? I already have a boot disk for windows 10 made.
Nope that would have been my move aswell but amazon is fantastic with returns they will just refund you in full if you need to go that route as long as its from amazon not another seller.

MelvinZ
09-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Yeah, it was from amazon warehouse, but I got it at a discount price cause the packaging was damaged and I don't think they sell them for that price anymore... so needless to say I am hesitant to do so as it may end up costing me another 1-2 hundred dollars.

Nader
09-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Its no thing major in fact it maybe windows 8 causing it or incorrect driver . if you got them for that price I would keep it, Send it to Asus they will fix it for warranty better than returning it and losing 200 dollars.

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Let me know how the clean install turns out for you. Did you buy the 551 for gaming? I only ask because so many people complain about its thermal throttling on newer games and with the new g752 coming out the g751s on am amazon will take a price drop.

MelvinZ
09-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the tip Nader, I'll check on the warranty. I did buy this for gaming a bit, but I haven't really gotten into it much yet cause my last computer was a 2004 dell dimension desktop with 4 gigs of ram and a dual core AMD 1GHz processor... couldn't even load steam so I couldn't get into modern games XD

However I did buy a cooling pad cause I heard of such problems, and for now I need the 15 inch laptop cause I'm taking it to and from college. That's mostly why I didn't go with the 751.

Also, I wanted to ask if it would be a better idea to just format my SSD, and install windows like that, or if I should mess with the partitions I have now. I have about 8 partitions on the SSD because I tried installing Ubuntu, and I have no idea which ones are important, so I figured just format the whole thing... but I'm not sure if that'll mess it up. I do have both the 128 gig ssd and the 1T hdd just for the record.

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the tip Nader, I'll check on the warranty. I did buy this for gaming a bit, but I haven't really gotten into it much yet cause my last computer was a 2004 dell dimension desktop with 4 gigs of ram and a dual core AMD 1GHz processor... couldn't even load steam so I couldn't get into modern games XD

However I did buy a cooling pad cause I heard of such problems, and for now I need the 15 inch laptop cause I'm taking it to and from college. That's mostly why I didn't go with the 751.

Also, I wanted to ask if it would be a better idea to just format my SSD, and install windows like that, or if I should mess with the partitions I have now. I have about 8 partitions on the SSD because I tried installing Ubuntu, and I have no idea which ones are important, so I figured just format the whole thing... but I'm not sure if that'll mess it up. I do have both the 128 gig ssd and the 1T hdd just for the record.
A clean install is always better you will lose the useless asus restore image but thats nothing but outdated drivers.

MelvinZ
09-05-2015, 11:58 PM
A clean install as in poping the disk in and telling windows to overwrite everything? Or formatting the drive myself? Cause when I put the disk in it asked me what partition I wanted to use and there were about 8.

aeolisio
09-06-2015, 12:23 AM
when your at that step in the install you can choose to delete the other partitions

MelvinZ
09-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Alright. I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work that way I'll let you know. Thanks for the help! I'm really impressed with how quickly you guys answered. It's nice to be part of a forum that is actually speedy with their replies :-D

MelvinZ
09-06-2015, 12:52 AM
So apparently when I try to install windows from the boot disk, it asks me which partition I want to install it on and then says that I can't install it on any of the partitions. It also says that each one may contain important programs and data from the manufacturer, and if I delete it I will loose that info. Not sure if there's actually anything I need from Asus, but I do recall seeing plenty of programs from Asus already installed. I'm a little worried I'll delete all of the stuff like the nvidia controls and things like that.

aeolisio
09-06-2015, 03:34 AM
With any clean install you will need to go to nvidia intel and asus to re-download new drivers. If that makes you uncomfortable then a clean install isnt right for you. Yes its going to delete everything thats the point of the clean install.

MelvinZ
09-06-2015, 04:11 AM
tbh I figured it would delete everything, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to break the computer. I was more concerned about deleting necessary programs and drivers that I couldn't get back. Guess I didn't really make that clear though.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it works out. And if you wouldn't mind I would really appreciate it if you'd be so kind as to direct me towards the proper drivers and whatnot. That is assuming it's not as simple as going onto the websites and searching for a bit. I can handle that much =P. Thanks again!

aeolisio
09-06-2015, 04:33 AM
On clean installs i always do the display driver first then let windows do its updates a few restarts worth before you finish up with any missing drivers from asus or intel. Use the win 10 drivers of course. You might need to download inf chipset drivers from intel if they arent on your asus page.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers
http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

basant
09-06-2015, 06:43 AM
it may be a virus

basant
09-06-2015, 06:47 AM
try to google it
dvd eject virus

MelvinZ
09-06-2015, 01:21 PM
it may be a virus

Dude, it's been doing this since I turned it on for the first time. Windows 8 hadn't even been set up yet. That and none of my antivirus programs have found a virus, so I think I'm good.

on another note, I had a thought that maybe it might be the gaming mouse that came with the computer. I read some things about people looking for an install disk to go with the mouse cause the computer was telling them they needed it. Maybe the computer is still looking for the right drivers and opening the disk drive when it wants me to install them.

Plus, I found out on the Asus website that this mouse doesn't have drivers for windows 10, only 8. That probably isn't the problem cause it started in windows 8, but maybe the drivers were not installed properly and it carried over. For the record I have the GX850 that comes with the G551. Any thoughts on that?

I'm also wondering if the windows 8 drivers will still work after clean installing windows 10. I figure they probably will cause they're supposedly working now, but I just wanna make sure.

MelvinZ
09-06-2015, 05:34 PM
So I did a clean install of Windows 10. It's been about a half hour and the drive has not opened at all. The only problem now is that I had to remove the 1T hard disk I have in order to install it on the SSD, and now the computer won't recognize the HDD anymore. It was like this when I first got the computer, and one of my friends helped me fix it, but I can' remember how. Anyone got any ideas?