PDA

View Full Version : Record Button Not Working as Expected\Mouse Issue In Games

Spirrwell
09-07-2015, 01:39 AM
Hi there! I've already seen this https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings

But, it doesn't really explain how to change the "ShadowPlay" button. It just talks about what it's linked to. Basically, I just bought this ASUS ROG G751JL yesterday. I absolutely love it. I've read a lot of complaining on the ShadowPlay button, but honestly I would have no problem with it, if it actually was linked to ShadowPlay.

When I press it, it launches this XSplit program which I have no interest in. I like ShadowPlay. Even though the guide above doesn't really help, I did go to the registry to check it out, and the key that seems to be relevant in fixing this for me is "ShadowPlayPath" which is just as it sounds. Only, it points to the path for XSplit. I tried changing it to the path of GFExperience to see if I could at least do something with the button, but no, when I press the button it changes the key value back to the path for XSplit.

I don't believe it's relevant, but I did do the upgrade to Windows 10, yet this was happening before I did the upgrade, I'm just mentioning it in case it has any bearing on it that I may not know about. If anybody can explain to me how to simply make the button work as intended, I'd be 100% happy with this laptop. Well, I would kind of like a stylus for the touch screen, but meh.

Just one other thing, that's minor because I'll end up getting a regular mouse to go with it, but whenever I'm in a game, Mouse1 AKA left click is typically the fire button in modern FPS games. It doesn't seem to work if I'm moving (Pressing the WASD keys) and even when I'm not, it doesn't really work well period. I mean the mouse works fine otherwise. I'm clicking around everywhere else no problem.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated. I love the laptop, it's my first dedicated gaming laptop I've gotten, and it has yet to disappoint when it comes to power. Think I might go with an ASUS ROG motherboard when I build a new desktop that uses the 2011 chipset, heheh.

thetanaz
09-07-2015, 04:51 AM
I think it is a difference in models that determines which one you get Xsplit/Shadowplay. I have a G751JY and I get Shadowplay but no XSplit.For me personally it is an inconvenience because Shadowplay doesn't support webcam recording and only webcam broadcasting to twitch (god knows why they don't just add this simple feature) and I can't get Xsplit.Unless there is a value somewhere deep in windows registry I doubt you can change it.

Rares95
09-07-2015, 08:09 AM
I don't know about XSplit buddy, but the Shadowplay button works as intended once you set it up correctly in the nVidia GeForce Experience. Have you tried doing a clear Windows install to see if the XSplit or whatever it's called is still there?

Spirrwell
09-07-2015, 01:46 PM
I think it is a difference in models that determines which one you get Xsplit/Shadowplay. I have a G751JY and I get Shadowplay but no XSplit.For me personally it is an inconvenience because Shadowplay doesn't support webcam recording and only webcam broadcasting to twitch (god knows why they don't just add this simple feature) and I can't get Xsplit.Unless there is a value somewhere deep in windows registry I doubt you can change it.
I don't particularly care for the webcam anyway. The quality of it leaves something to be desired, but I suppose that's why they're called WEBcams as opposed to simply cameras as that's what it's optimized for, the Internet.

I don't know about XSplit buddy, but the Shadowplay button works as intended once you set it up correctly in the nVidia GeForce Experience. Have you tried doing a clear Windows install to see if the XSplit or whatever it's called is still there?

I REALLY don't want to do that. I just installed like half my library of Steam games, Visual Studio, and other things because I'm also into C++\game development. I don't want to wipe away everything i just installed. I just bought the laptop 2 days ago, what was on it, must have been factory default. I'm pretty sure that thetanaz is right in saying that it's laptop model dependent.

I mean, it's not a huge deal, because I can simply change ShadowPlay's hotkey to its default Alt+F9 and set up one of my macro keys as pressing those two keys, which is what I'm doing right now. It just seems rather silly to do considering I have a supposed button dedicated to recording in the top left corner of the keyboard.

Oh well, if somebody has any ideas, let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Edit:

I found out the reason for the mouse not working so well. There's a Windows setting that allows you to set a delay for touching the mouse touchpad to prevent you from accidental clicking. So in case anybody else has that particular issue, go to your Mouse & touchpad settings and change the touchpad delay to suit your liking.

DomGolby
04-30-2016, 06:18 PM
I RMA a G751JY and the motherboard was replaced a couple of times, it used to open shadowplay and work as expected but now it opens xsplit. I think it depends on what factory image is used and if xsplit comes installed.
I just uninstalled xsplit and the record button worked.

Weirdoutworld
04-30-2016, 09:21 PM
I have g751JY and just set up xsplit and the record button works. But playback is studdering. Should I uninstall xsplit and use shadowplay? Or is it personal preference?

cspencerjr
05-01-2016, 02:57 AM
I just got a G751JY myself, and the record button launches xsplit, I would prefer to use Shadowplay, will uninstalling xsplit cause the button to use Shadowplay by default?

JustinThyme
05-01-2016, 05:50 AM
Personally I prefer to leave these disabled. They both cause a degradation in performance. Shadow play for example when enabled and not even active drops my 3Dmarks Firestrike score by as much as 500 points. As a result Ive just uninstalled the Gforce experience completely. I prefer to set up my own profiles in Nvidia control panel as the GForce experience presets dont work as I want them to and I can update my drivers manually as I prefer to use DDU to unintall prior to installing the new.

winyl
07-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Well, is there anyway to change record button beheviour to start xsplit or shadowplay without uninstalling xsplit?

hexaae
01-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Has someone found a definitive solution for the annoying issue of the direct video recording custom key (AKA Shadowplay button) not working anymore sometimes randomly after installing new Nvidia driver or GFE?
Who knows what registry keys got corrupt etc.?

P.S.
No I don' t need AsusNBKeys tool to remap the custom keys, I just want to restore direct video recording button at default (= single key press will start GFE recording and the little led will turn on).