PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking the GTX970M

clockworksatan
09-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Hey guys,

Apologies if this has already been asked (I did search but didn't find anything useful) but I'm just wondering about the best way to safely overclock the GTX970M - i.e. which software is the best to use and the most stable and safest memory/gpu clock rates to use.

I'm currently using MSI Afterburner to do a very small overclock but it would be nice to push it a little harder.

So what do you guys use?

Boxis
09-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I think you would need to flash custom vbios to push the card further than +135/+500.

thetanaz
09-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Maan I have been looking and looking for overclocking guides.All I find is stuff in different languages like french and benchmarks.I have a 980m and it's unstable at pretty much any overclock without voltage change *guess I'm unlucky*.There is a way to mod vbios without completely flashing a new one which is safer and can't brick your laptop but I don't know how to do it.If anyone has any clue please post a link or a short guide it'd be highly appretiated.
edit:http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/2D-3D/voltage-debride-unlocked-sujet_967737_1.htm
This was given to me by a guy on the forums a few weeks ago but I didn't understand it and I can't trust google translate completely.I asked him if he could explain further but haven't heard from him since.

clockworksatan
09-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I think you would need to flash custom vbios to push the card further than +135/+500.

Oof, thar be dragons in them thar hills.

...I don't fancy going down the route of custom BIOS ROMs and potentially bricking my '751. Better to stick with that small overclock and be happy with it, then!

thetanaz
09-09-2015, 01:27 PM
It is very dangerous and you will void your warranty.At best from what I've seen from benchmarks people gain around 7-8FPS tops which I don't know if it's worth it considering you will have higher temperatures on both your GPU and CPU (if GPU gets hotter so does the CPU because laptop cooling)and also void your warranty + risk bricking.970 is still a great card I doubt you'll have much problems running games at at least medium-high settings in the next 2 years.

warryabel
09-09-2015, 03:45 PM
nänä

Nader
09-09-2015, 04:40 PM
I got mine overclocked , here is my score in fire strike :

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5944585

Beats GTX980M Stock by 200 points (the pic here is for gtx980m) :

http://tech4gamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Untitled9.png

My stable clock clock is this :

To do this you need to flash a custom bios but you will void your warranty
How ever Asus won't really know if the laptop fried its self (which it didn't so far), I pretty much doubt it, never heard any one returning laptops from manufacture because they flashed different bios.

I use ASUS GPU Tweak.

aeolisio
09-09-2015, 05:42 PM
I got mine overclocked , here is my score in fire strike :

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5944585

Beats GTX980M Stock by 200 points (the pic here is for gtx980m) :

http://tech4gamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Untitled9.png

My stable clock clock is this :

To do this you need to flash a custom bios but you will void your warranty
How ever Asus won't really know if the laptop fried its self (which it didn't so far), I pretty much doubt it, never heard any one returning laptops from manufacture because they flashed different bios.

I use ASUS GPU Tweak.
How about a verified result. If it was verified i would be impressed for a 970m
Time measuring inaccurate

This message indicates funny business with the system clock during benchmark run. In most cases, this means that, no, you cannot cheat in 3DMark by adjusting Windows timers during the benchmark run or otherwise tampering with the measurements done by the benchmark. If this message persists and you have not done anything out of the ordinary, it may indicate a hardware issue with the real time clock in your system or the presence of a background program that somehow twists the time-space continuum of your operating system in such a way that this anti-cheat detection is tripped.

Nader
09-09-2015, 05:49 PM

This message indicates funny business with the system clock during benchmark run. In most cases, this means that, no, you cannot cheat in 3DMark by adjusting Windows timers during the benchmark run or otherwise tampering with the measurements done by the benchmark. If this message persists and you have not done anything out of the ordinary, it may indicate a hardware issue with the real time clock in your system or the presence of a background program that somehow twists the time-space continuum of your operating system in such a way that this anti-cheat detection is tripped.

Time measuring inaccurate could be for so many reasons, one of them that I did not OC From the Bios or The Bios I flashed timer is different or some thing or could be Windows 10. Its just I didn't care enough to fix that problem. Maybe because I use Asus GPU Tweak? I do not know.

I just use fire strike to measure my result/performance but ofcourse I would be happy if it was verified. Either way Yeah its impressive.

Nader
09-09-2015, 05:58 PM

I Skip The Demo by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE then it redirects to the text, Could That be the reason why the results are invalid?

aeolisio
09-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I Skip The Demo by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE then it redirects to the text, Could That be the reason why the results are invalid?
Doubtful either way its a cheated result. I would test it myself but i uninstall 3dmark when im done with it. Run it again and see.

Nader
09-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Doubtful either way its a cheated result. I would test it myself but i uninstall 3dmark when im done with it. Run it again and see.

Now It Works But it Shows Graphic Driver is not Approaved.
(I didn't skip the Demo This time)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8514628

By The Way I skipped the demo through CTRL+DELETE In The Previous Test (that immediately redirects to the graphic and rest of tests Due to it being missing in the Demo version of 3D Mark).

I am running the latest NVidia drivers but it shows graphic driver not approved.

joshindaphils
09-09-2015, 06:12 PM
What ever is causing that warning may be artificially inflating the score by a good margin.

Not sure what would be transpiring here... is the demo run crashing? This will give the same error as well and indicates that your OC is probably too aggressive.

While that score would be quite the feat and good news to those wanting to push their 970M bases systems it really isn't indicative of +980M performance with that warning.

I use XTU and afterburner and don't get that message and I didn't get the message when I was using GPU Tweak, there is something else afoot here.

warryabel
09-09-2015, 06:17 PM
51600 oc is fine

Nader
09-09-2015, 06:21 PM
It works now (just showing graphic driver not approaved) . I had to let it Run The Demo (And not press CTR+ALT+DELETE To skip it)

don't know why.

Nader
09-09-2015, 06:22 PM
51600 oc is fine

What NVidia driver are you using my results says the driver isn't approved.
even thought its the latest version.

Nader
09-09-2015, 06:32 PM
What ever is causing that warning may be artificially inflating the score by a good margin.

Not sure what would be transpiring here... is the demo run crashing? This will give the same error as well and indicates that your OC is probably too aggressive.

While that score would be quite the feat and good news to those wanting to push their 970M bases systems it really isn't indicative of +980M performance with that warning.

I use XTU and afterburner and don't get that message and I didn't get the message when I was using GPU Tweak, there is something else afoot here.

Demo is not crashing at all, I just Did not have the patience to run it.
So I Skip it by Pressing Either Shadow play button or CTRL+ALT+DELETE This minimizes 3dmark and goes back to fire strike and some how Skips the Demo and loads instead the Graphic Tests and other tests that seemed to cause time measuring inaccurate error

but I ran the Demo And Benchmarks and now it works with no inaccurate timing error but their is still one error left and that is the graphic driver not approved.

aeolisio
09-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Demo is not crashing at all, I just Did not have the patience to run it.
So I Skip it by Pressing Either Shadow play button or CTRL+ALT+DELETE This minimizes 3dmark and goes back to fire strike and some how Skips the Demo and loads instead the Graphic Tests and other tests that seemed to cause time measuring inaccurate error

but I ran the Demo And Benchmarks and now it works with no inaccurate timing error but their is still one error left and that is the graphic driver not approved.
uninstall and clean install your nvidia driver

warryabel
09-09-2015, 06:35 PM
gtools2 vbiosmod+348.01+win 8.1no issues ....company of heroes 2 all max. without vsync, without gsync 60fps avg on 55
celsius

joshindaphils
09-09-2015, 06:37 PM

I just did a run with the latest nVidia drivers and it gave me valid results. Are you disabling / lowering features in the nVidia control panel?

I'm almost starting to think you are trolling us here ;)

Nader
09-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I just did a run with the latest nVidia drivers and it gave me valid results. Are you disabling / lowering features in the nVidia control panel?

I'm almost starting to think you are trolling us here ;)

Why the Hell Would I Do That. If I even did that that wouldn't make gtx970m gain +2000 score on future mark and I pretty much doubt fire strike would be so stupid that it would not overright the settings set by drivers.

Warryabel's Resault is Valid and He Has a Scroe 8300+ His Resaults are VALID so mine should be valid.
No thing adjusted in Control Panel.

I am running Windows 10 if that Helps. Warry Seems to be running Windows 8. Maybe that the issue.

warryabel
09-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Why the Hell Would I Do That. If I even did that that wouldn't make gtx970m gain +2000 score on future mark and I pretty much doubt fire strike would be so stupid that it would not overright the settings set by drivers.

Warryabel's Resault is Valid and He Has a Scroe 8300+ His Resaults are VALID so mine should be valid.
No thing adjusted in Control Panel.

I am running Windows 10 if that Helps. Warry Seems to be running Windows 8. Maybe that the issue.
the lol is i cant use gputweak because not recognize my driver...i use
nvinspector

Nader
09-09-2015, 07:01 PM
the lol is i cant use gputweak because not recognize my driver...i use
nvinspector

Hmmmmmm....... Whatever don't care if drivers is approaved or not.
I am not going to get thousands of dolalrs my doing that :P

Now just request :P Would you Show me your Nvidia Inspector Settings. I might get red of GPU Tweak and Run Inspector instead :)

Nader
09-09-2015, 07:24 PM
I really would have loved to download the NVidia g syn leaked drivers but it seems link is gone.