PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a G751 OR hold out for the G752. Opinions?

chackle
09-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi all, currently I'm gaming on a PC hooked up to the TV using mouse and keyboard (long story, i won't get into it).

I'm wondering if it's worth my time waiting 60 days or whatever it is until the G752 is released or just to go for the G751 now. Any idea if the G752 will be more expensive, or likely to have cooling issues in comparison?

Basically I'm looking for a quick yes or no from a bunch of people who know the Asus line and a bit about gaming / hardware in general.

Main things I'm interested in:
- G-Sync
- Above 60hz screen refresh rate
- Keeping temps as low as possible to increase longevity of hardware
- Having a really nice looking laptop that has Macbook level build quality

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TheKnight
09-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Wait for the new one, it has (basically) a better processor and a slightly better cooling system.

Corporal
09-09-2015, 10:48 AM
laptop that has Macbook level build quality
If you expect it from G751/G752, or gaming laptops in general (MSI, Alienware, ASUS, Lenovo), you will be greatly disappointed. I own a G751JY, the build quality is good, but you can't compare it to a MacBook Pro for example (my dad uses one).

chackle
09-09-2015, 11:12 AM
If you expect it from G751/G752, or gaming laptops in general (MSI, Alienware, ASUS, Lenovo), you will be greatly disappointed. I own a G751JY, the build quality is good, but you can't compare it to a MacBook Pro for example (my dad uses one).

I sorta figured it wouldnt be as good, but I'd like to get as close as I can while keeping it gaming focused. From what it seems Asus has better build quality than its competitors.

bluepinapples
09-09-2015, 11:47 AM

what are you talking about? Apple build quality isn't what it's made out to be... my friends family goes through a lot of apple products, while my current g751 ends up bruising me just by bumping into it. My laptops practically a nokia

chackle
09-09-2015, 12:11 PM
what are you talking about? Apple build quality isn't what it's made out to be... my friends family goes through a lot of apple products, while my current g751 ends up bruising me just by bumping into it. My laptops practically a nokia

I assume he meant the actual quality and design of the build, not the robustness. I'm not a big Apple kinda guy, but I use a macbook for work and it's quite unmatchable in the quality department.

clockworksatan
09-09-2015, 12:31 PM
I abolutely despise Apple products but I can't help but grudgingly agree that their hardware is pretty unbeatable when it comes to quality and design. I just might need to go and thoroughly wash my hands after typing that.

The G751 in fairness is not really that far off Apple build quality. It's certainly miles better than MSI's in my opinion and from personal experience it's much better than any laptop I've owned before. I would imagine that in terms of build quality in gaming laptops, the G751 is up there with the best, if not at the very top of the list and have no doubt that the G752 will be of a similar standard.

In terms of cost, I wouldn't imagine that it will be much more expensive than the G751 as the specs aren't hugely different.

Corporal
09-09-2015, 12:55 PM
I sorta figured it wouldnt be as good
Some things you should expect from a G751JY(and probably G752) to not be disappointed:
Buzzing when playing music through the laptop speakers at over 70% volume,
Screen bezel requires "do it yourself" modifications to stop/reduce screen bleeding
Some keyboard keys clipping with the palm rest (<>| and right ctrl on mine)
Laptop fan noise can be distracting if you are used to your laptop being silent.
Check it for dead pixels, return if you have any.
2 Left USB ports together cap the power at about 0,5 amps, results in frequent disconnects if your external HDD draws more.

I'm generally quite satisfied with my G751JY, and I would buy it again, but I'm also aware of its shortcomings.
Despite its shortcomings,
"I would imagine that in terms of build quality in gaming laptops, the G751 is up there with the best" <- what he said

liviutatarus
09-09-2015, 05:05 PM
If you want to receive support and be heard (correspondence by mail) I suggest an Acer Predator 17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhROiW1WWVs

Nader
09-09-2015, 05:13 PM
If you want to receive support and be heard (correspondence by mail) I suggest an Acer Predator 17.

Acer Predator Sounds really Nice in Build Quality (Which the only thing to complain about for ASUS).
In fact it might be my next laptop after 2 years.

(Having Said That, All Really people with g751 are not missing any thing its same gpu with upgraded processor and extra cooler you have to buy your self , and you can't play on 4k) and who knows the prices of those stuff. I would be sad if new gpu line up comes with dx12 exclusive features.

Pascal is the next big thing and I am not fond of goldish color (its even still bulky like 51).
But overall waiting for 52 would be worth at 1080p screen, 4k costs more and is overkill and will disappoint you if you are looking for 4k gaming.

aeolisio
09-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Hi all, currently I'm gaming on a PC hooked up to the TV using mouse and keyboard (long story, i won't get into it).

I'm wondering if it's worth my time waiting 60 days or whatever it is until the G752 is released or just to go for the G751 now. Any idea if the G752 will be more expensive, or likely to have cooling issues in comparison?

Basically I'm looking for a quick yes or no from a bunch of people who know the Asus line and a bit about gaming / hardware in general.

Main things I'm interested in:
- G-Sync
- Above 60hz screen refresh rate
- Keeping temps as low as possible to increase longevity of hardware
- Having a really nice looking laptop that has Macbook level build quality

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mostly what your going to hear is biased opinions. If i were you id wait for the g752 to come out and decide then as the g751 prices will drop again and you can weigh it on a cost for value factor. If the difference between the models about the same spec is 500+ dollars youll have to decide if its worth $500 to say you have a newer model. Personally we ordered 5 for the office but only because of the native NVME support we have no intention of replacing the 30+ g751s we use currently and when the price drops we will be picking up some more g751jy-DB73x G sync's because they are so fantastic. I use one myself at home too and have had none of the problems others users meantion. None of our office models had any major problems at all. Just wait then you can see the opinions roll in from actual users of the g752.

JustinThyme
09-09-2015, 07:41 PM
My advice, buy when you are ready to buy. If you continuously wait for the next generation you will be waiting forever as with anything electronics its obsolete in less than 6 months. The best advice I have seen is to wait then see if the G751 price drops significantly. The only thing I can see is the G752 is coming with intel 6th generation with support for DDR4 and a different chassis. IN the grand scheme of things I dont think its going to be so big of a jump to warrant a huge expenditure over whats currently out.

Nader
09-09-2015, 07:46 PM
I would wait any way and compare both prices
if they are close I defintly would get the 1080p version with sky lake
The Jump won't affect me since my gpu is almost up to date so I won't upgrade but it would affect you because you are jumping from square 1.

I Would get this one , seems cheaper and design is solid (Asus is good too but this one is even better looking for non gaming audience) :

aeolisio
09-09-2015, 08:19 PM
I would wait any way and compare both prices
if they are close I defintly would get the 1080p version with sky lake
The Jump won't affect me since my gpu is almost up to date so I won't upgrade but it would affect you because you are jumping from square 1.

I Would get this one , seems cheaper and design is solid (Asus is good too but this one is even better looking for non gaming audience) :

Speaking as someone who has been in the industry for years be wary of Acer. They are the equilivent of the store brand version of electronics and have historically been the cheapest in price and build quality. I used to be in retail and Acer always had the highest return rates on everything from laptops to projectors. I wouldnt touch an Acer gaming laptop until they have established a reputation of quality for several years. Their new predator tablet line has already had terrible reviews. Take a look through the forums of their already released line and even in a very small community theres a much higher rate of problems then we have here. If you dont care about build quality and they come in far cheaper then the g752 line (which they wont because they dont make the cpu or gpu which is the largest price factor) and you dont mind gambling with your money then sure give them a try. I have an Asus projector thats still running though it was 2k new and has had that much again in parts just to keep it going for the last 2 years i only keep it because i have to justify the waste of money it was and to remind me to not make that mistake again.
http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/bd-p/predator

Nader
09-10-2015, 02:40 AM
Speaking as someone who has been in the industry for years be wary of Acer. They are the equilivent of the store brand version of electronics and have historically been the cheapest in price and build quality. I used to be in retail and Acer always had the highest return rates on everything from laptops to projectors. I wouldnt touch an Acer gaming laptop until they have established a reputation of quality for several years. Their new predator tablet line has already had terrible reviews. Take a look through the forums of their already released line and even in a very small community theres a much higher rate of problems then we have here. If you dont care about build quality and they come in far cheaper then the g752 line (which they wont because they dont make the cpu or gpu which is the largest price factor) and you dont mind gambling with your money then sure give them a try. I have an Asus projector thats still running though it was 2k new and has had that much again in parts just to keep it going for the last 2 years i only keep it because i have to justify the waste of money it was and to remind me to not make that mistake again.
http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/bd-p/predator

if You mean Quality control then I think Asus is excellent at that.

I don't know about acer.
But I do know ASUS Have some Design flaws finger prints magnet is one of them but Keyboard and all is working just fine, only thing is finger print magnet that doesn't really destroy the experience with g751 at at all, the other thing is the bulky design that doesn't appeal to non-gamers.

But Acer I am not entirely sure how bad Acer is in Quality control but I would wait until reviews.
Its not yet comparable to g751.

Sereus
09-15-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm waiting patiently for more information on the G752 series my self. The DDR4 and the 6700 CPU was enough to stop me mid purchase of a G751 with the GTX 970m G-Sync for $1500. I don't have the budget to go for the models with the GTX 980m. However I'm trying to decide if if the hit from loosing the GTX 970m for the $1500 price point with the GTX 965 will be worth it for the DDR4, the i7-6700 & the cleaner cooling system.

As far as quality vs other manufacturers i'm completely sold on Asus. I've been using a G72 for almost 5 years now and I've picked up their AC router and a Chromebook to boot recently. They are one of the only manufacturers I've never really had a major problem with (I've been through 9 HP laptops and 3 Acer)

Edweird
09-15-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm waiting patiently for more information on the G752 series my self. The DDR4 and the 6700 CPU was enough to stop me mid purchase of a G751 with the GTX 970m G-Sync for $1500. I don't have the budget to go for the models with the GTX 980m. However I'm trying to decide if if the hit from loosing the GTX 970m for the $1500 price point with the GTX 965 will be worth it for the DDR4, the i7-6700 & the cleaner cooling system.

As far as quality vs other manufacturers i'm completely sold on Asus. I've been using a G72 for almost 5 years now and I've picked up their AC router and a Chromebook to boot recently. They are one of the only manufacturers I've never really had a major problem with (I've been through 9 HP laptops and 3 Acer)

9 HP laptops, huh? You must have been one of the few survivors of the AMD diesel cooker era HP Pavillion lines.
Yeah, it's ASUS for me all around, support sucks pretty much everywhere and so far I've been happy with my tech choices.
I love my several-years-old ASUS Google Nexus 7 (the original one). My dad has a newer ASUS tablet and we're running our 4th and 5th ASUS laptops respectively. Before that we use various desktop components from all sorts of companies and we had laptops from Acer, Dell, HP and MSI.

I give you one guess as to which ones failed and which ones (all of them, really) are still kicking.

Sereus, surely you can gather a bit more cash 'till the G752 drops so you can afford a higher end model? Gaming laptops are generally not smart purchases unless you specifically need a mobile platform so you can see it would be justified to invest into something that would last you at least a bit longer.

Sereus
09-15-2015, 06:36 PM
9 HP laptops, huh? You must have been one of the few survivors of the AMD diesel cooker era HP Pavillio
9 HP laptops, huh? You must have been one of the few survivors of the AMD diesel cooker era HP Pavillion lines.
Yeah, it's ASUS for me all around, support sucks pretty much everywhere and so far I've been happy with my tech choices.
I love my several-years-old ASUS Google Nexus 7 (the original one). My dad has a newer ASUS tablet and we're running our 4th and 5th ASUS laptops respectively. Before that we use various desktop components from all sorts of companies and we had laptops from Acer, Dell, HP and MSI.

I give you one guess as to which ones failed and which ones (all of them, really) are still kicking.

Sereus, surely you can gather a bit more cash 'till the G752 drops so you can afford a higher end model? Gaming laptops are generally not smart purchases unless you specifically need a mobile platform so you can see it would be justified to invest into something that would last you at least a bit longer.

I wish it was as simple as blaming AMD. I've had almost every critical failure on an HP. It got comical with the last two.

Even the MSI? I've had fairly good luck with their hardware, but it's all about age and usage.

Yeah I plan on it but life is life and I'm not promising my self anything above what is realistic at the moment. Besides... I'm going to be buying something by the time fallout 4 comes out. the G752 or the G751. So it might boil down to release date for me

vore01
09-15-2015, 06:44 PM
I too have been contemplating that very question. I've decided to wait for the new one (752) when they come out.

Every laptop site I visited has the Asus Rog 751 series gaming laptops as the winner including PC Gamer and notebook.check and other web sites that take gaming notebooks seriously

The only concern I ever had was dust. And now it appears that there is a solution for that with the new ones coming out.

As far as cooling is concerned, there never was an issue with the 751's even with the GTX980m so it's doubtful that the new 752's with the same card should suffer any negative affects.
The 990m (if it's to be installed in the 700 is a different issue. I heard they will start at $4K. That's just plain silly. Having a laptop that looks like a part of an alien-ware build is biting the Asus ROG G700 on the rear end looks..well, just plain embarrassing as well

I like to game but I'm not nuts about it...If I can get a very-good gaming laptop that will give me 60 FPS on the games I play I'll be happy. I even don't max out settings because that will cause additional heat making the life of the laptop shorter

The new 752's coming out look fantastic especially the darker one. With the build quality, the specs, the dust solution and the design issues they addressed I'm in and will gladly wait for the fall

rogyajota
09-15-2015, 10:48 PM
I just bought G751JY G-sync. Since there won't be a big difference performance-wise when you opt for gtx980m. But I believe new features may be worth waiting for after reading some 751 owners complaining about g751 fans being hard to clean.

Sereus
09-16-2015, 03:37 AM
I just bought G751JY G-sync. Since there won't be a big difference performance-wise when you opt for gtx980m. But I believe new features may be worth waiting for after reading some 751 owners complaining about g751 fans being hard to clean.

That's one reason I'm seriously looking at the G752 instead. I mean I'm still running a G72 that's had plenty of TLC but cleaning that is a pain in the butt. I'm looking for something else to run for at least a few years before the technology speeds forward again.

alex_markov
09-16-2015, 07:43 AM
G752 is a bit of unknown ;) but promising laptop. While G751 is Very good (powerful, silence, good display, good sound...) But wit a lot of REALLY annoying "features" - Only one SATA 3 interface (second and third are SATA2!!!), M2 slot is missing on most devices and on my is NOT working :( :(, Constant problems with USB3 ports Very Bad, keyboard with red letters is hardly visible in darker conditions :(
So I'll wayt for G752 Reviews and will test it first and just then I'll buy it as a replacement ;)

clockworksatan
09-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Speaking as someone who has been in the industry for years be wary of Acer.

I totally agree. In comparison to ASUS, Acer are not in the same league.

They try, bless 'em, but having worked in IT hardware support for several years, I think I've seen more faulty Acer laptops than any other brand. They're cheap and nasty and best avoided.

rogyajota
09-16-2015, 06:00 PM
That's one reason I'm seriously looking at the G752 instead. I mean I'm still running a G72 that's had plenty of TLC but cleaning that is a pain in the butt. I'm looking for something else to run for at least a few years before the technology speeds forward again.

My 751jy is gonna arrive tomorrow but I'm now getting wary as hell as I'm reading more and more of this problem. lol well, on the other hand I never had any significant issues regarding dust with all my previous laptops(or not that I cared about), so hopefully it will be the same for 751jy

Anthony566
09-16-2015, 10:28 PM
I have read that you can access the fans buy removing the keyboard so im hoping tht cleaning is still possible with my 751.

aeolisio
09-16-2015, 10:55 PM
I have read that you can access the fans buy removing the keyboard so im hoping tht cleaning is still possible with my 751.
Cleaning the g751 is easy and takes only a few minutes. After removing screws and the speaker cover the keyboard lifts up (you can use a credit card to help) and then you can access the fans directly. Just dont life the keyboard higher then the cables go and you dont have to disconnect anything under it.

rogyajota
09-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Cleaning the g751 is easy and takes only a few minutes. After removing screws and the speaker cover the keyboard lifts up (you can use a credit card to help) and then you can access the fans directly. Just dont life the keyboard higher then the cables go and you dont have to disconnect anything under it.

Awesome, that's really good to know. thanks for the info. now I can go and tell future g752 owners "who even needs dust release cooling system!" XD

Cheetah
09-17-2015, 01:17 AM
mmm...maybe just replace the G751 motherboard with a G752 motherboard.

aeolisio
09-17-2015, 03:02 AM
mmm...maybe just replace the G751 motherboard with a G752 motherboard.
Asus changes the motherboard design every single time they change model. A g72 ewont work in a g71 a g73 wont work in g72 or g71 etc. It wont be possible to put a g752 in a g751 at all.