PDA

View Full Version : On laptops and external monitors

frozenashes2
09-10-2015, 01:36 AM
So I'm going to be stuck with my G551JW for a long time while I go back to college and wont have funds to spend on a tower. I just simply distaste the screen on the laptop while playing games though. Does anyone have a better experience with an external monitor? I really don't want to go huge, mainly stay with 1920x1080 so I can keep my performance.

I just don't want to dump money into a stupid idea unless people can help me justify it or not...

Thanks for the input!

joshindaphils
09-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Yes of course I love my Philips 4065uc for gaming. Having a second (or third or forth) screen is nice when working as well as it extends your desktop real estate. Once you go multi-monitor you can't go back without felling restrained IMO

Figure your budget and what features you want (trade as necessary giving budget restrictions) and go for it.

aeolisio
09-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Since your not going to be running high fps you might consider a led tv as a monitor. They are cheap give huge size options and extremely affordable not to meantion they can do double duty for a student. We have several laptops in the office running on samsung and lg 40+60 inch led tvs and at 1080 they work great. Most newer ones are 120hz and above. You could probably get a good used one for $200 or less on craigslist. Just an idea. I use a 4k tv and a projector for my g751 at home.

oHOWEo
09-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Plugging mine into the tv was my primary objective, bringing the tower downstairs got old real quick. I tried the streaming route (hardwired) into an old Vaio but it didn't cut it. My only problem is the tv is plasma which scares me a little.

joshindaphils
09-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Plugging mine into the tv was my primary objective, bringing the tower downstairs got old real quick. I tried the streaming route (hardwired) into an old Vaio but it didn't cut it. My only problem is the tv is plasma which scares me a little.

I've had my plasma for about 5 years now and have done a ton of gaming with static hud elements. You need not worry all burn in temporary on modern plasma (phosphorus display tech is VERY mature). I just wish that Plasma was still a viable option to buy... The picture quality is still great. I'm hoping my panel holds another few years so perhaps OLED will be a viable option for replacement.

oHOWEo
09-10-2015, 07:23 PM
That's reassuring Josh ��
I agree, the picture is stunning

aeolisio
09-10-2015, 08:53 PM
That's reassuring Josh ��
I agree, the picture is stunning
Josh is correct most quality plasmas since 2006 have had burn in protection and before i went curved i used plasmas for years with no ill results even falling asleep with a game paused or leaving it on for a weekend with just the windows desktop opened and no screensver.