PDA

View Full Version : Creaking on bottom right of laptop?

n1ghtl1fe
12-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Ive had my Asus 74sx for a few days now (in love with it) and the only complaint is a small creaking noise that comes from the bottom right plastic casing. Its the piece that the touch pad is on. I was wondering is there anyway for me to remove this piece without doing damage to the laptop so I can possibly see if i can fix it?

Overall, its not a huge deal it only happens if i apply pressure to the area and since I just picked it up this week I can take it back to Tiger Direct probably for a replacement but after spending that past few days setting everything up I would rather attempt a fix myself.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know of a way to solve this ? Thanks!

BrodyBoy
12-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Ive had my Asus 74sx for a few days now (in love with it) and the only complaint is a small creaking noise that comes from the bottom right plastic casing. Its the piece that the touch pad is on. I was wondering is there anyway for me to remove this piece without doing damage to the laptop so I can possibly see if i can fix it?

Overall, its not a huge deal it only happens if i apply pressure to the area and since I just picked it up this week I can take it back to Tiger Direct probably for a replacement but after spending that past few days setting everything up I would rather attempt a fix myself.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know of a way to solve this ? Thanks!

Is it more toward the right corner, or in front of the touchpad?

Mopard
12-19-2011, 06:33 AM
I also now have a "creak" on my new G74SX ... the case (where it gets really narrow) is loose right below the touchpad ... it moves up & down slightly now after little use.

BrodyBoy
12-19-2011, 07:23 AM
I also now have a "creak" on my new G74SX ... the case (where it gets really narrow) is loose right below the touchpad ... it moves up & down slightly now after little use.
Do you have one hard drive, or two?

n1ghtl1fe
12-19-2011, 07:48 AM
its the right front corner underneath the ROG logo

BrodyBoy
12-19-2011, 08:03 AM
You can check all the attachment screws in that area.

You earlier asked about removing that part, but the entire top cover is actually all one integrated piece, so you can't deal with the palmrest portion separately.

Most of the hard drive caddy screws are also chassis screws, so it's important that all those are installed and tightened. This is why I asked the last poster whether he had one drive. If the narrow area directly in front of the touchpad is loose, that sounds very much like the HDD caddy screws in drive bay #2 are missing. (A scenario that could occur if there's no 2nd drive and the caddy is removed.)

If you turn the computer over and remove the back panel, you can access the screws that secure the top cover. The important ones for the area you're talking about are the caddy screws closest to the edge, and the two screws on either side of the WLAN card. I've circled them here (along with the other caddy screws) so you can locate and tighten them, if necessary.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74%20Touchpad/Topcoverattachment_2.jpg

n1ghtl1fe
12-22-2011, 11:17 PM
I went a head and checked all the screws. Still creaked so I returned it to Tiger Direct and picked up another.. Same issue with as the last bottom left under the ROG logo and Asus sticker creaks when my palm rests on it. : / not a huge deal but $1500 is a large amount to me id like it to be in new shape i guess.

Is anyone else suffering from this issue? I have the 74SX-X1, or any other way to fix this ?

xeromist
12-22-2011, 11:31 PM
If you can find the offending point you can lubricate it or apply a bit of talc to keep it from squeaking when it rubs.

n1ghtl1fe
12-23-2011, 12:47 AM
If there was a way to get this piece off that would work but i dont want to try prying anything to slip in glue or lubrication. Its where the bottom of the laptop casing (where the slot for a SD card is) and the top rubber texture area meet at the corner

BrodyBoy
12-23-2011, 01:55 AM
If you can find the offending point you can lubricate it or apply a bit of talc to keep it from squeaking when it rubs.
I don't think that would help. It's not that pieces are rubbing together, but that there's just a little flex in that area.

If there was a way to get this piece off that would work but i dont want to try prying anything to slip in glue or lubrication. Its where the bottom of the laptop casing (where the slot for a SD card is) and the top rubber texture area meet at the corner
It's kind of a shame that you returned the other one, because frankly, I don't think this is an "issue," pre se. (Not to say that it isn't annoying.....) It's just the design gives that area a little flex.

Even if you remove the top cover, there isn't much you do to bolster that area. As you mentioned, it's directly over the card reader device, where it's attached to the M/B, but you can't really put something over the card reader (to push against the top). The pressure would likely have an adverse effect on the card reader.

My other suggestion (short of removing the top cover), is a little more invasive, and I can't guarantee it'll make a difference, since it's not directly under the corner "squeak" location. Open the back panel and remove the drive. You'll see about a 2mm gap between the chassis and the top cover. (With the computer upside down, you are seeing the top cover through this little holes. You can try wedging something in that gap, under the bay #1 SATA connector.

Just to reiterate, the palmrest component isn't separate from the rest of the top cover. You can't pull that off separately.

xeromist
12-23-2011, 02:15 AM
I don't think that would help. It's not that pieces are rubbing together, but that there's just a little flex in that area.

This isn't the sound of one hand clapping here. Squeaks come from two objects rubbing/josling against each other. The sensation may be a flex but it's the plastic structure deforming and therefore moving against adjacent pieces that will actually cause a noise. Take a piece of plastic and flex it. It's not going to squeak on its own.

n1ghtl1fe
12-23-2011, 02:17 AM
thanks for the helpful responses i really appreciate. Ill try that an respond with the result

BrodyBoy
12-23-2011, 02:21 AM
This isn't the sound of one hand clapping here.
No, it's not. But it's also not so simple as two parts you can put some powder on..... ;)

n1ghtl1fe
12-23-2011, 04:03 AM
its not really a squeak its a click, kind of like something ud hear clicking a mouse. idk i feel like I have OCD complaining about this, as far as wedging something into that spot in the back of the casing i dont see it working since the mobo is in the way. I honestly tried using a guitar pick to wedge a small gap and drop some super glue between the two places but i ended up getting glue on the outside of the casing. It did stop it for a bit but after i cleaned the glue off the outside it just went back to how it was. (this was on the laptop i returned, and that wasnt the only reason i returned it there was a couple dead pixels on it as well)

PILGRIM
12-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Is anyone else suffering from this issue? I have the 74SX-X1, or any other way to fix this ?

I have the same issue on mine, exactly just above the SD slot. It makes a "clicking" sound if I press the right corner bottom of the palm-rest.

The thing is, I've read about it on a tech review somewhere a month before I bought this laptop, but I still bought it.
My thinking was that the pros far outweigh the cons..

Must be a factory defect.

n1ghtl1fe
12-23-2011, 05:56 AM
I have the same issue on mine, exactly just above the SD slot. It makes a "clicking" sound if I press the right corner bottom of the palm-rest.

The thing is, I've read about it on a tech review somewhere a month before I bought this laptop, but I still bought it.
My thinking was that the pros far outweigh the cons..

Must be a factory defect.

Yeah thats what I figured after getting a second one with the same issue. Your completely right though, i honestly love everything else about this laptop

BrodyBoy
12-23-2011, 06:14 AM
I've had the G74 apart many times (for other reasons), and tried to see what exactly makes the noise. Next time I do, maybe later tonight, I'll take a much closer look. I'll report back if there are any new insights.

By the way, I've seen it to varying degrees in three G74s now. One was especially bad....that corner actually had enough give to feel a little spongy....but I could get all three to make noise in that spot. I really think it's just a design weakness.

n1ghtl1fe
12-23-2011, 06:42 AM
that would be great man thanks. glad to kno im not the only one haha

PILGRIM
12-23-2011, 06:45 AM
I've had the G74 apart many times (for other reasons), and tried to see what exactly makes the noise. Next time I do, maybe later tonight, I'll take a much closer look. I'll report back if there are any new insights.

By the way, I've seen it to varying degrees in three G74s now. One was especially bad....that corner actually had enough give to feel a little spongy....but I could get all three to make noise in that spot. I really think it's just a design weakness.

Thanks in advance, BrodyBoy. You've always been a great help to many of us here.

I've read in the other threads that you sometimes disassemble your laptop just to check another's problem. (two thumbs up!)

Do you enjoy taking things apart?..:)

BrodyBoy
12-23-2011, 07:02 AM
I do!! I've been building, upgrading, and exploring computers for over 25 years now. For me, it's just fun. :)

PILGRIM
12-23-2011, 07:09 AM
I do!! I've been building, upgrading, and exploring computers for over 25 years now. For me, it's just fun. :)

You are The Man, then.:)

Methinks most of us here would be squeamish to try disassembling our lappies, even with a step-by-step guide..

n1ghtl1fe
12-24-2011, 02:58 AM
You are The Man, then.:)

Methinks most of us here would be squeamish to try disassembling our lappies, even with a step-by-step guide..

he is the man lol i would be willing to disassemble mine with a guide if it wasnt a week old. Id probably go insane if i messed something up though, this is the one of the biggest purchases ive made being 22 n a broke ass college student haha

PILGRIM
12-24-2011, 03:52 AM
..and that's why BrodyBoy is still The Man.

Unless you would be willing to repeatedly disassemble your laptop on-the-fly, just to help the other guy..

BrodyBoy has been using his laptop/s as a "guinea pig", just to benefit the many of us here. :)

n1ghtl1fe
12-24-2011, 11:44 PM
my bad, i was agreeing with you didnt mean that lol to make it sound like i was being an ungrateful ahole. I really do appreciate his and ur help

matador
12-25-2011, 12:28 AM
I have the same issue with my BBK8. If it wasn't for this forum I would've never discovered it. It's really bad on my device, but I don't care anymore.

BrodyBoy
12-25-2011, 01:53 AM
I took it apart again today (while I was watching my team get knocked out of playoff contention....but I digress...:().

I'm convinced that it's a design weakness, due to the way the card reader is situated. The other side of the palmrest feels solid because there are two screws (under the ODD drive) that hold it tight, right along the edge. But because of the card reader, the screws that secure the top cover on the right side are about an inch from the edge, and then the very narrow strip of plastic chassis (right above the card reader slot) just doesn't have the rigidity or snug fit with the top cover to avoid flex.

There's a piece of plastic on the top cover that serves as the "guide" for the card reader slot. It's essentially what guides an inserted card to the actual connector. I believe that it's this plastic that moves and makes the noise when you push on the top cover.

I realize the description probably isn't very helpful. I took a lot of photos, but I don't have them on my computer yet. I'll try to illustrate with photos later tonight.

PILGRIM
12-25-2011, 01:57 AM
@n1ghtl1fe: Ok. The "lol" really gave me the impression that you meant it negatively.:)

@matador: Hope is still around.. BrodyBoy might be able to solve the puzzle.

I tried to pry open this lappy, but I gave up halfway. Clumsy hands and fear of breaking it I would say..

PILGRIM
12-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Problem solved or not, cheers to you still, BrodyBoy.

You've done what you can, ASUS didn't..

BrodyBoy
12-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks.....I haven't given up on it. I think it would take some kind of modification to the card slot retainer. But experimentation will have to wait for the next round....

PILGRIM
12-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks.....I haven't given up on it. I think it would take some kind of modification to the card slot retainer. But experimentation will have to wait for the next round....

Nah.. Giving thanks should be on me..

This "clicking" thing doesn't actually bother me that much, so I can wait.

I was also really trying to help myself out here. But I guess prying things apart is not just my forte..:(

JKB0076
12-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Mine also does this. I just pinned as the design of the casing, the weight of the laptop and the way I pick it up and hold it.

n1ghtl1fe
12-26-2011, 05:56 AM
thanks BrodyBoy for looking into this. First Asus laptop and I really love the community here your all very helpful. Im glad i kno now Im not the only one, I can deal its no biggie but if you do ever come to a solution it would be greatly appreciated. Until then ill just do my best to avoid it in hopes that it doesn't get any worse. Other than this creaking though my new g74 has been a dream

I did find a ghetto solution to the problem on g74 i returned. I used a guitar pick to pry up the corner and dropped in a couple drops of super glue and it held, only problem was the fact I had super glue showing on the outside of the casing which kind of sucked. So i attempted to remove it using acetone (aka nail polish remover :) ) and ended up just loosening it up again. Haha idk i give up, i feel like i got OCD or something worrying about such a small issue but like I said this was a big purchase for me, Id like it to be semi flawless :)

PILGRIM
12-26-2011, 07:14 AM
thanks BrodyBoy for looking into this. First Asus laptop and I really love the community here your all very helpful. Im glad i kno now Im not the only one, I can deal its no biggie but if you do ever come to a solution it would be greatly appreciated. Until then ill just do my best to avoid it in hopes that it doesn't get any worse. Other than this creaking though my new g74 has been a dream

I did find a ghetto solution to the problem on g74 i returned. I used a guitar pick to pry up the corner and dropped in a couple drops of super glue and it held, only problem was the fact I had super glue showing on the outside of the casing which kind of sucked. So i attempted to remove it using acetone (aka nail polish remover :) ) and ended up just loosening it up again. Haha idk i give up, i feel like i got OCD or something worrying about such a small issue but like I said this was a big purchase for me, Id like it to be semi flawless :)

Ha ha.. Ok, I'll also try what you did with the guitar pick but will be more careful with the glue..:p

Will report back if/when successful..

Merry Christmas!

BrodyBoy
12-26-2011, 07:37 AM
I did find a ghetto solution to the problem on g74 i returned. I used a guitar pick to pry up the corner and dropped in a couple drops of super glue and it held
I can see where gluing might resolve the squeak, but I don't think I'd want to risk adhering the top cover to the chassis. Chances are, most people won't need to open their G74 up any more than just accessing the stuff under the back panel. But should you ever need to acces other hardware, or send it in for repair, the top cover has to come off. I hate to think of the damage I might do if it was super-glued!

PILGRIM
12-26-2011, 07:45 AM
...I hate to think of the damage I might do if it was super-glued!

Oops.. There I go, flip-flopping.. (self-induced damages are some of my specialties:o)

So, back to square-one, then.

BrodyBoy
12-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Okay, by way of illustrating my earlier explanation.....here are a couple photos of the underside of the top cover (i.e., you're looking at the corners of the palmrest, upside-down....so they are reversed).

First, this is the left side, over the optical disk drive. You can kind of make out the little alignment clips, but more importantly, you can see how the two screws are right up at the edge. When they're tightened, that edge is aligned and held securely against the chassis. Those screws clamp it down snugly, so it has no "give" or squeak.

But now look at the opposite corner....the squeaky corner. There are both snap clips and guidance clips to align and secure it to the chassis, but the two screws that secure that area are located well away from the edge. That leaves over an inch of the cover to flex when you press on it. (The black chunk of plastic is that "guide" for the card reader slot.)

The card reader "guide" doesn't really touch anything....it projects down on either side of the card slot, and provides a flat surface to direct an inserted card into the reader, which is about a half inch from the slot. Here, you can see the top cover and the chassis (opened like a book), and hopefully get a sense of how all these parts line up when the top cover's in place.

Finally, here's an edge photo with the top cover somewhat ajar, to give another view of how they align.

Those little snap clips on either side of the card reader, when engaged, keep the top cover from lifting up....but they don't keep it from going down a little. And the thin strip of chassis plastic (over the slot) isn't rigid enough to keep it from deflecting and allowing the top cover flex, either.

So...bottom line: it's not really a defect of flaw, but just a function of the way the parts connect in that corner. To stabilize it and prevent flex/squeak would probably require a way to better "seat" those snap clips on either side of the card carder.

PILGRIM
12-26-2011, 02:25 PM
...So...bottom line: it's not really a defect of flaw, but just a function of the way the parts connect in that corner. To stabilize it and prevent flex/squeak would probably require a way to better "seat" those snap clips on either side of the card carder.

Much obliged to you, BrodyBoy.

It's a fantastic help you've done just to go to the root of this. I'm sure your findings will serve as a future referral for users having similar issue.

Though it's but a little annoyance for me, I also would like mine to be "semi-flawless" (as n1ghtl1fe said).
Oh, well,.. you just can't have them all..

Hello, ASUS! Take a look at this, and PLEASE take note..
Hope this "little" problem will be addressed for your next flagship G74 reproductions.

n1ghtl1fe
12-27-2011, 12:16 AM
thanks again for all the help it was really cool of you to disassemble your laptop to look into this for me. Im happy to hear its the design and not a flaw in our lappys. Makes it easier to live with it haha, even though first thing my realatives did this christmas when checking out my new laptop was notice it "clicks" in that spot lol.

I really appreciate it, if anyone finds a workaround for it be sure to post otherwise this thread can be laid to rest :cool:

dstrakele
12-27-2011, 12:24 AM
thanks again for all the help it was really cool of you to disassemble your laptop to look into this for me.

You don't have to thank him. For amusement, Brody likes to take the parts from 3 different model ASUS laptops and some circuit boards and wires from an old Apple LISA, mix 'em up in a burlap bag, and then assemble them blindfolded against the clock. ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
12-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Have you been spying on me???? I thought I heard someone out there.... :)

PILGRIM
12-27-2011, 01:37 AM
You don't have to thank him. For amusement, Brody likes to take the parts from 3 different model ASUS laptops and some circuit boards and wires from an old Apple LISA, mix 'em up in a burlap bag, and then assemble them blindfolded against the clock. ;>{)>

LOL!!

I also enjoy your wit (and humor) on these forums..

Mopard
01-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Do you have one hard drive, or two?

Sorry BrodyBoy ... I recieved no email notification informing me there was a reply in this thread.
To answer your question, I have 2 750 GB hard drives.

PILGRIM
01-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Sorry BrodyBoy ... I recieved no email notification informing me there was a reply in this thread.
To answer your question, I have 2 750 GB hard drives.

Maybe BrodyBoy will post back to you later..

BTW, you'll receive an email notification only when someone gave you a PM (Private Message).
As for post replies, just hang around threads that you've posted to, and check for replies..:)