PDA

View Full Version : Elantech Touchpad Issues on G751 JT + Chiral Scroll

johnhaha
09-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with my touchpad on the ROG G75.

Here are my problems:

-The Elantech touchpad with Asus Smart Gesture is sluggish, unwieldy, and a pain to use. (I will explain.) I only notice it because I am also using a Dell XPS 1640 and it is MUCH more responsive.
-My favorite and most coveted feature on the XPS 1640 is the ability to continuously scroll with one finger by drawing a spiral motion on the touchpad (On the Synaptics website it is called "Chiral Scroll") and I was wondering if it was possible to enable this feature somehow or install it.

Everything about this laptop is perfect except for the touchpad. Well, that and the damn non-user replaceable battery, but thatss another thing all together. I have searched all over the forums and all over google as well as waiting several months for a possible fix with no luck and have tried about 7 different drivers from different manufacturers to no avail.

The touchpad has a huge latency (if that is what it's called) issue. When you move your finger, the touchpad takes a split second to recognize that your finger has moved, and stops a split second after your finger has stopped. In real world use, this has caused me to missclick very very often because it overshoots where I am aiming the cursor. As a result it makes me pass over a button two or three times before I can hit it. Very annoying. These two issues make it impossible to quickly do tasks, Especially when trying to click on something very small. At first I thought it was some strange kind of acceleration issue, but there are no acceleration options in the Smart Gesture Program, and neither is there an option for it in the Elantech software hidden in Programs. This is a very strange problem that I wouldnt have noticed if I wasnt using two laptops side by side. The other laptop's touchpad is INSTANTLY responsive, it starts when my finger moves, and stops when my finger stops. I have no issues with tracking accuracy or acceleration on it, however that trackpad is a Synaptics trackpad using Dell Touchpad. Is this latency (lag) typical of Elantech touchpads?

What I have tried so far:
-I have turned off Touchpad Delay under PC Settings, and turned off "Enhance Pointer Precision" under Mouse Properties.
-I have used over 7 different drivers from Lenovo, Asus, Dell, Acer, Elantech, and Synaptics. (Synaptics drivers are sometimes incompatible, and when they do install, the features are absent.) When I successfully installed the same Dell Touchpad/Synaptics driver from my other laptop, I even had the Dell Touchpad tab show up under my Mouse Properties, however the customization software refused to load when I clicked on it, and none of the features worked.
-Yes when I install new drivers I make sure to uninstall the old driver, as well as restarting my computer after each install and removal.

What I have not tried:
-Using an ALPS driver
-Other drivers by Elantech except Asus branded Elantech drivers
-Maybe I just need to find the right driver is what I am thinking.

Note:
-When using a mouse(Logitech G502 Proteus Core) by usb, there is ZERO latency. Even using a wireless mouse (Logitech MX Performance) has significantly less latency than the native trackpad.
-The lag also affects the Two Finger Scroll function.

Lastly, Is there any way to get a Chiral Scroll feature or similar on this Elantech Touchpad? I miss it greatly. Two finger scrolling just isn't the same, and if I have to keep two finger scroll, is there anyway to reverse the scroll direction? It is the complete opposite of how scrolling works on EVERY modern smartphone.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all of the help!

Edit:
Some additional notes:
-The buttons of the trackpad have NO discernible lag/delay/response time and work perfectly. The issue is just the touchpad.
-The delay is in actuality between 100-500 milliseconds, and probably only discerneable to someone who is used to higher end mice with fast polling such as gaming mice etc, however in gaming and getting work done, fast response time between touching the touchpad and seeing the movement happen onscreen is critical.

aeolisio
09-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with my touchpad on the ROG G75.

Here are my problems:

-The Elantech touchpad with Asus Smart Gesture is sluggish, unwieldy, and a pain to use. (I will explain.) I only notice it because I am also using a Dell XPS 1640 and it is MUCH more responsive.
-My favorite and most coveted feature on the XPS 1640 is the ability to continuously scroll with one finger by drawing a spiral motion on the touchpad (On the Synaptics website it is called "Chiral Scroll") and I was wondering if it was possible to enable this feature somehow or install it.

Everything about this laptop is perfect except for the touchpad. Well, that and the damn non-user replaceable battery, but thatss another thing all together. I have searched all over the forums and all over google as well as waiting several months for a possible fix with no luck and have tried about 7 different drivers from different manufacturers to no avail.

The touchpad has a huge latency (if that is what it's called) issue. When you move your finger, the touchpad takes a split second to recognize that your finger has moved, and stops a split second after your finger has stopped. In real world use, this has caused me to missclick very very often because it overshoots where I am aiming the cursor. As a result it makes me pass over a button two or three times before I can hit it. Very annoying. These two issues make it impossible to quickly do tasks, Especially when trying to click on something very small. At first I thought it was some strange kind of acceleration issue, but there are no acceleration options in the Smart Gesture Program, and neither is there an option for it in the Elantech software hidden in Programs. This is a very strange problem that I wouldnt have noticed if I wasnt using two laptops side by side. The other laptop's touchpad is INSTANTLY responsive, it starts when my finger moves, and stops when my finger stops. I have no issues with tracking accuracy or acceleration on it, however that trackpad is a Synaptics trackpad using Dell Touchpad. Is this latency (lag) typical of Elantech touchpads?

What I have tried so far:
-I have turned off Touchpad Delay under PC Settings, and turned off "Enhance Pointer Precision" under Mouse Properties.
-I have used over 7 different drivers from Lenovo, Asus, Dell, Acer, Elantech, and Synaptics. (Synaptics drivers are sometimes incompatible, and when they do install, the features are absent.) When I successfully installed the same Dell Touchpad/Synaptics driver from my other laptop, I even had the Dell Touchpad tab show up under my Mouse Properties, however the customization software refused to load when I clicked on it, and none of the features worked.
-Yes when I install new drivers I make sure to uninstall the old driver, as well as restarting my computer after each install and removal.

What I have not tried:
-Using an ALPS driver
-Other drivers by Elantech except Asus branded Elantech drivers
-Maybe I just need to find the right driver is what I am thinking.

Note:
-When using a mouse(Logitech G502 Proteus Core) by usb, there is ZERO latency. Even using a wireless mouse (Logitech MX Performance) has significantly less latency than the native trackpad.
-The lag also affects the Two Finger Scroll function.

Lastly, Is there any way to get a Chiral Scroll feature or similar on this Elantech Touchpad? I miss it greatly. Two finger scrolling just isn't the same, and if I have to keep two finger scroll, is there anyway to reverse the scroll direction? It is the complete opposite of how scrolling works on EVERY modern smartphone.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all of the help!
There is not percievable latency in the g751s at our office. It seems like you have tried every driver so i assume you have tried a clean win 10 install and let windows install the driver itself right?

TugaPower
09-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Over mine W10, installed the latest Asus Smart Gestures that have elantech driver and it's already available for W10, everything work good

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=smart+gesture

Corporal
09-11-2015, 10:24 AM
"There is not percievable latency in the g751s at our office."
Maybe the OP perceives the latency differently? From what I can tell, the latency on my Touchpad is about 100-200 ms. It's certainly more than on a usb mouse. I'm afraid there is nothing we can do about it though.

Nader
09-11-2015, 11:01 AM
I must admit my touchpad also suffers latency its a behavior I did not bother to fix since I use the mouse that cam with the laptop.

rcarlos243
09-12-2015, 02:21 PM
There is not percievable latency in the g751s at our office. It seems like you have tried every driver so i assume you have tried a clean win 10 install and let windows install the driver itself right?

If you cant perceive it you are not sensitive enough.

Of all the laptops I own recently (Lenovo Y50-70, Yoga 2 Pro, Alienware 15, G751JM and G751JT) Asus by far has the worst touch pad lag (about 150~200ms).

I also own a Logitech G9x and Logitech G700 (both set at 1000 polling rate) so I can clearly see the difference between a responsive input device and laggy input device.

di Valenti
09-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Greetings

1. Have you had your Laptop apart? - KB connector ribbons undone at any point? - if so try re-seating them - it sounds like an issue I had - where the cable was not completely in and the TP was really screwed up - I thought it was a hardware issue - but it was simply that the cable was not all the way in and seated - so I would try that if your KB has been removed - even if by an RMA tech - that could be the issue with the response time.

2. the Battery IS replaceable - one cable, two screws and it's in and out - and the battery unit is also out there for sale if you need one. it's so easy to get to it also that it would take maybe... maybe... 5 mins to replace this part.

This link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU - check all the cables in there.

Hope that helps.