PDA

View Full Version : G751JL: severe decrease in performance, weird GPU malfunction?

Galadh
09-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Something really weird has occured to my G751JL as of recent.

I've been using ROG G751JL for almost two months now and until Wednesday its performance had been nothing short of excellent. On Wednesday, I came back home after three weeks long stay in another city and I first noticed something's off in the evening, when FC3 multiplayer ran on poor framerate. Was the first time I ever used multiplayer module of this game, so not suspecting much I got to play Resident Evil 5, which has been scoring pretty much stable 60FPS on Ultra HD, no difference here whatsoever. Back to FC3, this time single player, I got the same results as in multi, which was clearly and totally off, as it usually ran twice as good. Wow.

It wasn't only that, as the laptop clearly started to work more loudly/intensely even during chilling on desktop, as if it's constantly processing something, busy with operating. The very next evening I tried to run Witcher 3 and once again, I got like 50% of usual FPS result. I have no more points of reference, as W3, RE5 and FC3 are the only games I've run on it thus far, and the tests indicate that only the least demanding of them maintains more or less the same FPS performance.

At first I concluded that perhaps something might have happened to the laptop on the trip here (as until the very night before my departure everything was fine), but nope, it was super-solidly protected, my eyes were constantly on it and I am 100% positive there wasn't a single moment something might have come up. So, did anything else change?

Not the usual suspect called power plan, to be sure. There was an usual Windows Update and that's it, really. So, I started thinking that perhaps for some weird reason integrated GPU simply took over the reins, but when trying to determine that I bumped into more problems, as it wasn't until now I've noticed my nVidia Panel doesn't allow me to choose Preferred GPU, there simply isn't such option, neither in Global Settings, nor in the ones related to specific apps. Or was it, and it's gone now? I concluded that perhaps the latest driver might have messed something up, but it was released on 31 August and my trouble didn't begin until September 09, so... I haven't the foggiest notion what's going on and I am starting to get worried. Is it possible that something got messed up inside due to temperatures? Hard to believe, as the laptop's new and the only effort I've put it through was playing the aforementioned video games...

Any idea, what's shaken?

Corporal
09-11-2015, 09:58 AM
FIrst of all, perform a clean installation (tick the option) of nvidia drivers and see if it fixes your problem.

Galadh
09-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Just to be on the same page, that indeed was one of the solutions my tired night-time research brought to my attention, but the thing is... the option is nowhere to be found, neither in GeForce Experience, nor in nVidia Control Panel, which seem to be missing some options. I don't remember such issues on my previous ASUS.

Could you specify where can I find it?

Corporal
09-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Download the driver software from here www . nvidia . com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us, choose your GPU version and so on,
Start the installation process, tick the option "clean installation". This should reinstall the drivers completely.

Galadh
09-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Copy that, been a while since I did it manually, lol.

That indeed helped, W3 and FC3 seem to be back to their usual selves, so by the looks of it, the recent Windows Update had messed the nVidia drivers up and my rig has run either on the integrated GPU or bottlenecked my GTX965M. Weird, to say the least, hope it didn't cause any long-term consequences.

Many thanks for reminding me about this simple trick, dude!

Nader
09-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Yeah the latest NVidia driver seems to increase framerate and fix a lot of problems.
A Note must be told that you cannot game while its not on charger, the framerate would decrease a lot.

Corporal
09-11-2015, 12:37 PM
"recent Windows Update had messed the nVidia drivers up" That's the main reason I seldom update windows, and only manually.