PDA

View Full Version : problem g74sx

DarthBlazer
12-19-2011, 11:56 PM
So basicly this is what happend,
i went to the store to buy a new laptop i had saved up enough money to buy one
i was going to buy a really expensive one so i thought ill go for a 3D gaming laptop
when i entered the store i went to the help desk since these guys normally know their stuff
i asked him if they had any 3d laptops he said yes we have the asus g74sx it has a 3d screen and comes with glasses
so i took that one costed me 1999 euros when i got home i noticed their was no glasses in it so i though well ok maybe u need to buy them apart or something ,i start googleing my laptops model wich is asus g74sx-tz117v BE and i start reading articles about it doesnt have a 3d screen or neither cant play 3d games even if i would buy those expensive glasses i cant find any information on the web that it can and i know it prolly cant but im still hoping for the best since i already thrown out the receipt of it what would mean i wasted alot of money on a laptop that isnt even 3d i hope u guys can put some light on this issue im planning to go back to the store one of these days since they sold me the wrong laptop i suspect even though i wont have much chance returning since th receipt is gone....

thx already

fuzon1337
12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi

It sounds like either the reseller gave you the wrong notebook when you bought it, or they ripped you off!

If you did use a VISA card when you bought it, you still have a chance that you got a confirmation that you have purched this product in their store.

Did you sign up any warranty with store/leave information or something like that ? Perhaps they still got the receipt in their system (since we live in a such technology world, it could be saved under your name) :)

DarthBlazer
12-20-2011, 12:17 AM
I didnt use my VISA i payed with my other bank card ill check if i can do something with that
and i didnt take the warranty since it costed an extra 150 euros ....and i mostly dont break my stuff so quick
i will go back to the store and tell them about this though see what they can do
this laptop does have 0 chance of running 3d games right? because when i enter my nvdia settings there is a tab 3D settings from wich i first thought it was the right one... and the sticker says nvidia 3dtvplay also when i google the price i sort of payed as much as the one that has a 3d screen.. thx for responding!

FenrirMH
12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Sounds to me like the guy didnt have a clue, just checked your specs here http://arpex.be/product.php?id_product=880 and your right it doesnt allow 3D playback.

My advice is to take you statment for whichever card your used and take the laptop back, you shouldn't need the actual receipt as you can prove you purchased the notebook with your card statement, also will help you to print out the spec sheet I've included, showng them that the notebook isn't 3D capable AT ALL, it doesn't say on the spec sheet, but you can clearly see that the display is a simple 1920x1080 Full HD, where as if it was a 3D machine it would have for example 17.3" ASUS Color-Shine, 3D 120Hz, 1920x1080 FULL HD Resolution as the Nvidia 3D Vision emitter is located in the screen itself, therefore you would just need a pair of glasses which by all accounts would be included in the box along with a ROG GX800 mouse, ROG backpack and SteelSeries Siberia Full Headset.

They have mis-sold you a product, so you are well in your customer rights to take the notebook back and request a 3D model or a FULL refund.

DarthBlazer
12-20-2011, 12:57 AM
thanks this will help do you maybe have a spec sheet of the 3d version? i will include this also

FenrirMH
12-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Sorry DarthBlazer, unfortunatley a 3D model isn't listed on the site I linked too and with all the different model numbers it's hard to find the right one, though as far as i can tell the same model is used for both 3D and non-3D which is annoying, actually their might be away to check, where the webcam is located at the top of the panel, if i can remember and bearing in mind my G74Sx is at home, so I can't check, next to the webcam lens, think it's to the left of the webcam lens you should see a little 3D sort of logo or similar, this is next to a 2nd lens (this is the 3D emitter). Will check when I get back from work though, but if i remember (old age, lol) Yo can def tell theres a 2nd lens and a 3d box logo furthermost left of the webcam lens. Sorry I can't be more specific :(

DarthBlazer
12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
dont worry bro really thx you have been a great help!

i would like to add that in my nvidia folder there are two icons :Enable 3D vision and Disable 3D vision none of these do something when i click it but its weird these things are on it if it doesnt support 3D

JRd1st
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
The notebook can do 3D through HDMI to a 3D compatible monitor/TV. But that doesn't change the fact that you were supposed to get the model with 3D screen and glasses according to the salesperson. Return that one and demand the 3D model at the same price. Talk to the manager, do whatever it takes to get satisfaction!!!

This thing with all the different model numbers is like the "Tower of Bable" of G74's. Too many people buying lesser models by mistake. :mad:

PILGRIM
12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
The notebook can do 3D through HDMI to a 3D compatible monitor/TV. But that doesn't change the fact that you were supposed to get the model with 3D screen and glasses according to the salesperson. Return that one and demand the 3D model at the same price. Talk to the manager, do whatever it takes to get satisfaction!!!

This thing with all the different model numbers is like the "Tower of Bable" of G74's. Too many people buying lesser models by mistake. :mad:

+1

Lol... Same issue here in China. Why couldn't ASUS just make it generic to all its laptop model-names worldwide?

Just with the G74 model alone, there are dozens of variations if one would search them by regions.:confused:

...and one bad case scenario is this by DarthBlazer.

@DarthBlazer,

I agree with the rest. You have all the rights to demand the equivalent of what you have paid for.
Hope all will be well regarding your situation..

JRd1st
12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
+1

Lol... Same issue here in China. Why couldn't ASUS just make it generic to all its laptop model-names worldwide?

Just with the G74 model alone, there are dozens of variations if one would search them by regions.:confused:

@DarthBlazer,

I agree with the rest. You have all the rights to demand the equivalent of what you have paid for.
Hope all will be well regarding your situation..
Asus should have 3 base models; the G74sx-A1 (192 bit gfx bus), G74sx-B1 (128 bit gfx bus), G74sx-3DE (192 bid gfx bus and 3D display, glasses, etc) all other model names should be prefaced with those base names. ie G74sx-A1-750h could have only 1 750GB HDD instead of the 2 the normal A1 has. And Asus should require that all resellers use this naming scheme.

This scheme would give the buyer a better chance to figure out what he was buying before he bought it and came here confused, sorry, and ready to blame Asus. Not to mention the thousands that never even find out that they got something less than they intended to buy.

PILGRIM
12-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Asus should have 3 base models; the G74sx-A1 (192 bit gfx bus), G74sx-B1 (128 bit gfx bus), G74sx-3DE (192 bid gfx bus and 3D display, glasses, etc) all other model names should be prefaced with those base names. ie G74sx-A1-750h could have only 1 750GB HDD instead of the 2 the normal A1 has. And Asus should require that all resellers use this naming scheme.

This scheme would give the buyer a better chance to figure out what he was buying before he bought it and came here confused, sorry, and ready to blame Asus. Not to mention the thousands that never even find out that they got something less than they intended to buy.

Exactly.

Oh, ASUS.. The joy and agony of being with you!:) :mad:

DarthBlazer
12-20-2011, 05:43 PM
i got back from the store and they said they were not going to exchange it or refund it just because the day i bought the laptop it was pooring outside and after that we had a snowstorm i went with that huge box from antwerp to my place home(2 busses and a 45 min walk) so the outer box was destroyed cuz of the rain everything else is in tact and perfect the headset box and the laptop box itself all perfect,they said returning this would resolve to them sending the laptop and accessoires back to ASUS and they should repack the whole thing wich they didnt want to do

so basicly i got screwed over by a cheap ass cardboard box and spent 1999 euros on a laptop model i didnt want
great..just ****ing great i guess ill have to save another 2k euros to buy the laptop i want next year

ill never buy anything from that store again ever

fuzon1337
12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
If Chastity were here and not on the courses (a positiv thing that she is), you could PM her about your situation, and she would help you out with this. Perhaps you could PM Brian@asus and see what he can do for you?

It's a shame that some stores can't accept a good as new notebook to an exchange to the model that you asked for, after they have given you the wrong model! :(

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
If Chastity were here and not on the courses (a positiv thing that she is), you could PM her about your situation, and she would help you out with this. Perhaps you could PM Brian@asus and see what he can do for you?

I've read that Brian has left ASUS. MarshallR@ASUS may be a better choice.

DarthBlazer
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
well ill do that since i ran out of options lets hope for the best

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
There is always hope, but don't set your expectations too high.

JRd1st
12-20-2011, 06:38 PM
You could go and ask Chastity at NBR (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/). She's been posting a lot over there, lately.

I really think this is between you and the reseller, though. Don't you have consumer protection agencies of any type where you live.

BTW, what is the name of that reseller. :D

PILGRIM
12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
@DarthBlazer

It's really a shame what you've been through..

But,.. hopefully (fingers-crossed), this just "newly minted" forum with its "ROG HQ" administrator, would be able to help you out.

Best of luck..

FenrirMH
12-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Mine came with a massive cardboard box (though it was brought online, but the cardboard box housed the notebook box, backpack, 3D glasses and SteelSeries Headset, I can't see this being different to being brought in store), as long as the actual notebook box is undamaged then they should in theory accept it, the cardboard box itself is nothing more than a way to protect the bundled accessories, they don't need the box and I'm assuming they have a large number of cardboard boxes just lying around in the back anyway :( Best check your actual consumer rights in your region, but I'm sure you have every right to take it back as long as you have the original notebook box (this shouldn't include the surrounding cardboard box), sounds to me like you have a case for the trading standards (if your country has one). Did you check for the 3D box logo up by the webcam?

BrodyBoy
12-21-2011, 01:43 AM
.....but I'm sure you have every right to take it back as long as you have the original notebook box .....I'm guessing you've never shopped in the U.S.? ;0) Here, you're usually S.O.L. without a receipt.....

FenrirMH
12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
I have but then I'm normally on a plane back to the UK, so I would really be S.O.L lol. Still I would of thought you would have a similar system to protect consumers, Brody. After all if he's paid in euro he's in a EU country, I know you can be S.O.L in a few places, but surely every country has a way of protecting it's consumers, the economy's not that good. It might be worthwhile seeing if you have a consumer watchdog program like we have in the UK (actually there's a few) and get in touch with them, most companies don't want bad publicity and they might accept your notebook back as a "good will gesture" (yeah right). Never had a problem with any of my tech (fingers crossed, always brought from proper tech stores (Best Buy, Sony etc and if I buy online I use ebuyer.com and scan.co.uk normally). Hope you can sort it out DarthBlazer as I think my G74Sx is great, apart from all the crap ASUS installed on it, lol and I choose it over an Alienware M17x (actually it was a M11x and M14x too due to the expense of upgrading the forementioned notebooks to the G74Sx's spec).

BrodyBoy
12-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Sure, we have a fairly decent array of consumer protections. But you typically must be able to document the purchase, and the receipt is the most common way to do that.

DarthBlazer
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
the reseller is Media Market( Media Markt in dutch) im from Belgium well as i said they only could take it back if i had all the boxes in a good state cuz now they said they have to send it back to ASUS to repack the stuff,in my head its like thats a little trouble or they could do it themself i think its their ways of saying FU ur 2k euros is ours now since they know i wanted a 3D and they dont sell that version it seems they just want to hold on to my money i cant do much about it since they asked me in how far i used to laptop ofc i lied but like product register stuff and all that was done so basicly i already used it and they cant take it back i also installed one game on it update bios put the ATK thingy on it so if i would go on with them and they check what ive already done with this laptop then i stand nowhere....it was pretty late that i found out it wasnt 3d but then again i never used much computers or anything i always played ps3 and i chose this laptop also over alienware mx17 cuz a friend said it was the best gamer brand their is but they dont sell those in stores in belgium :d

JRd1st
12-21-2011, 01:49 PM
You could always buy a 3d capable external monitor and glasses.....

DarthBlazer
12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
You could always buy a 3d capable external monitor and glasses.....
then whats the point of having a laptop?
if i wanted a 3d monitor i would have bought a desktop

JRd1st
12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Many users, me included, use these notebooks as desktop replacements.

DarthBlazer
12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Many users, me included, use these notebooks as desktop replacements.
i can understand but this is not why i bought a laptop,i bought it because its portable and i can take it to friends or on vacations,
also i shouldnt be spending more money on tvs or monitors since they convinced me this was the 3D version with 3D screen
neither do i have the money to buy more stuff since this already costed me enough...

FenrirMH
12-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Believe me the G74Sx isn't that portable mate, it's heavy, cumbersome and you need a large work (esp if using a mouse) and you will always need the charger as the battery life is a little over 2hrs, even with Power4Gear. JRd1st is right tho, the G74Sx is mainly a desktop replacement for many users (cuts out the cluttter of a tower), me included due it's size and weight, stopped bringing mine to work, just due to the weight and hassle of packing it all up.

xeromist
12-21-2011, 11:47 PM
If you're worried about sending it back with your stuff on it, just do a factory restore (F9 during boot).

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 01:15 AM
If you're worried about sending it back with your stuff on it, just do a factory restore (F9 during boot).
A slight variation on this theme that's even better: if you happen to have an old laptop HDD laying around, do the factory restore onto it, and keep your own drives safely at home when you send it in.

DarthBlazer
12-22-2011, 01:51 PM
yea i could do that ill start now and go to the store again tomorrow since today people are on a strike on belgium thx

DarthBlazer
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
well i tryd they said the same thing again i asked if they wanted to check the laptop but they said they dont need to cuz its not complete oh well... that dude i was supposed to pm isnt responding either so i guess i cant be helped well thx anyways guys

JRd1st
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
That sucks, man. :(

You have to be really careful when you buy an Asus notebook, apparently. There are so many different subspecies it's hard to know what you're getting until you open the box