PDA

View Full Version : Power4Gear

Animoski12
12-19-2011, 11:58 PM
The first thing I did when I got my G74SX was reinstal Windows 7 to get rid of all the bloatware and use the Viper Win7 Service settings.. I'm very happy with the performance so far..

My question is, should I install Power4Gear?

I know it allows me to have different power settings, but the only ones i'm interested in is Maximum Performance and Battery Savings.. I'm just afraid P4G makes "Maximum Performance" slower then what would be without it?

I'm confused and would appreciate some help ;) Thanks in advance

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 12:08 AM
TMy question is, should I install Power4Gear?
IMO...no. It's implicated in too many issues, from video performance to USB issues to unwanted Windows desktop theme changes, to who knows what else.

You can get all the power settings you want, including the two configurations you mention, with Windows Power Management. You won't be able to use the ROG button to switch power profiles, which is no loss. You can just as easily switch with the power icon in the taskbar.

Keep your installation clean..... :)

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The only thing I reinstalled was the ATK package, Intel LAN and WiFi drivers and the USB 3.0 drivers that come originally with the ASUS preinstalled OS.

The one thing bugging me is that turning off the trackpad doesn't seem to work using Fn + F9, any clues on that?

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The only thing I reinstalled was the ATK package, Intel LAN and WiFi drivers and the USB 3.0 drivers that come originally with the ASUS preinstalled OS.

The one thing bugging me is that turning off the trackpad doesn't seem to work using Fn + F9, any clues on that?
You installed ONLY those drivers you listed? There are some more you need, including the touchpad driver. I'm assuming you don't really mean Intel LAN, because there's no such thing.

(There's such a thing as TOO clean!!)

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Yes, my fault, I installed the Realtek Lan driver, and of course as well the nVidia drivers..

I noticed there are 2 different companies that make the touchpads for the G74SX, how do I know which one to use?
I didn't install any other drivers, and i'm beginning to wonder how do I use my web cam and BlueTooth (and if I need drivers for those :P)

I appreciate the help a lot btw!

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Good catch! It seem many owners just start installing those drivers before wondering which one they should use!
To determine your touchpad manufacturer, and therefore which driver to use, you should look in Device Manager to see what's installed.

Open Device Manager
Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices" section
2-click the listed device to open its Properties window
You'll be able to see there whether it's listed as a Sentelic or Synaprics device
(This assumes you haven't installed any TP drivers yet.)

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/FSP2.jpg

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Call me crazy but I don't have a "Finger Sensing Pad" - I scanned through the entire list and checked out what drivers were missing and stuff, and everything that's missing you can see in the picture > http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5788/nopad.jpg

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 01:53 AM
You have two devices listed......do you also have an external mouse plugged in? You should unplug that for now. But in any event, 2-click on the devices listed to find a Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad. (That's why I put in those instructions to 2-click on the listed device...it wasn't a given that you'd see "Finger sensing pad.")

I suspect one of them will be a Synaptics touchpad.

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Is it just me, or is the forum being really slow and glitchy for the past hour or so? I'm having a heck of a time posting anything and updating pages....:mad:

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Forgot to include the fact that I did indeed double click them and they all came up as "Microsoft" - and yes I do use an external USB based - wireless mouse.. (Primary reason for me wanting to disable the trackpad in the first place)

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 02:15 AM
OKay, that just means the Microsoft generic drivers have already installed. Open the Properties window again, but go to the Details tab and check the hardware_ID. Sentelic touchpad hardware_IDs start with STLC (as shown below), while Synaptics hardware_IDs start with SYN.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/DevMan_Sentelic.png

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Just out of curiosity (if you do in fact have a Synaptics touchpad), exactly which G74 model # do you have? I've been trying to figure out which configurations get which hardware. So far, all I can tell is that Synaptics TPs and Intel WLANs always seem to go together, but haven't found a consistent pattern otherwise.

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 02:36 AM
You installed ONLY those drivers you listed? ... (There's such a thing as TOO clean!!)

I agree! Now where's the link to that Rotational Desktop?

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 02:38 AM
I agree! Now where's the link to that Rotational Desktop?
LOL!! You suppose I should post "Asus Vibe" too???

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Just out of curiosity (if you do in fact have a Synaptics touchpad), exactly which G74 model # do you have? I've been trying to figure out which configurations get which hardware. So far, all I can tell is that Synaptics TPs and Intel WLANs always seem to go together, but haven't found a consistent pattern otherwise.

Under HID-complaint mouse - it gave me a bunch of hoopla and nothing corresponding to what you said.. Oddly enough the PS/2 selection gave me exactly what you have. STLC141.

So I have a Sentelic touch pad! (thanks for the help btw)

I have a G74SX-KBB8 - Bought from Best Buy.. 2670QM processor, 8GB ram, 560M 2GB, 2x 500GB HDDs (I would like to know how to RAID 0 these hard drives for better performance :/)

Hopefully that helps! Let me know what you think

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Thank you! Oddly enough, I was at a Best Buy today and browsed their laptops. In spite of my own assumption (about Sentelic TPs and Intel WLANs going together), their display model BBK8 had the Intel 6150 card, just like yours, and a Sentelic touchpad.

So maybe there really is no rhyme or reason whatsoever to any of this! The people at the factory just grab whatever's laying around, I guess!

Oddly enough the PS/2 selection gave me exactly what you have. STLC141.
That's not odd, BTW. The TPs are PS/2 devices.

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 03:18 AM
You wouldn't happen to know if the GPU can be upgradable on the G74SX's? I looked on eBay earlier and someone was selling a 580M which I'm actually very interested in. I'm willing to go great lengths.

Also, any word on doing some kind of RAID 0 with these 2 hard drives I have? I would love to not waste that possible increase in performance. :)

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 04:36 AM
You wouldn't happen to know if the GPU can be upgradable on the G74SX's? I looked on eBay earlier and someone was selling a 580M which I'm actually very interested in. I'm willing to go great lengths.

Also, any word on doing some kind of RAID 0 with these 2 hard drives I have? I would love to not waste that possible increase in performance. :)
The G74 doesn't support hardware RAID, so you'd need to use a software solution.

I haven't yet heard of anyone successfully upgrading the CPU. I would think it could work, so long as the specs (power requirement, etc) are the same, and the BIOS supports it. That second one is key....Asus seems to lock down this BIOS pretty tight, so I'd try to confirm that it'll be recognized before going to all the expense and trouble. (It also voids the warranty, if that's a consideration.)

fostert
12-20-2011, 04:48 AM
The GPU is soldered to the mainboard and not socketed, so its a no-hoper for the DIY upgrade enthusiast. However, the CPU is socketed (FCPGA988) and will accept anything in the 2000 mobile series up to the smoking core i7-2960XM, which will probably tax the notebook's cooling system (55W compared to 45W TDP).

Blue-Bulb
12-20-2011, 07:02 PM
IMO...no. It's implicated in too many issues, from video performance to USB issues to unwanted Windows desktop theme changes, to who knows what else.

You can get all the power settings you want, including the two configurations you mention, with Windows Power Management. You won't be able to use the ROG button to switch power profiles, which is no loss. You can just as easily switch with the power icon in the taskbar.

Keep your installation clean..... :)

hello brody,

I've done a clean installation on my SSD, and somehow I have installed P4Gear.
So, do I uninstall it? And also where do I find Windows Power Management options?

TIA

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 10:46 PM
hello brody,

I've done a clean installation on my SSD, and somehow I have installed P4Gear.
So, do I uninstall it? And also where do I find Windows Power Management options?

TIA
You can uninstall Power4Gear in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program. Windows Power Management can be opened a number of ways. If you want to open its control panel to tweak settings, create power plans, etc., a quick way is to click on the power/battery icon on the taskbar and select "More power options." There, you can customize existing plans (in advanced settings), or even make new plans to suit your needs.

But if you just want to switch power plans during use, simply click on the taskbar icon and select the one you want. You can also use Win + X to open the Mobility Center, which offers a number of handy controls.

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Brody, I got an interesting fact for you..

Power4Gear (i've confirmed it by installing and removing it multiple times) causes older games, like C&C Renegade, C&C Red Alert 2, Call of Duty 2, and even Call of Duty 4, to have this "20ms" FPS freeze that occurs a couple of times throughout any hour playing. On average, once every 2-3 minutes.

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Brody, I got an interesting fact for you..

Power4Gear (i've confirmed it by installing and removing it multiple times) causes older games, like C&C Renegade, C&C Red Alert 2, Call of Duty 2, and even Call of Duty 4, to have this "20ms" FPS freeze that occurs a couple of times throughout any hour playing. On average, once every 2-3 minutes.
Doesn't surprise me....

Some people consider it harmless and recommend installing it. But it's exactly these kinds of reports, like yours, that have convinced me that it's crapware. It just causes way more problems than it's worth. I'm not even neutral on it anymore.....I think it should be avoided.

Animoski12
12-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Seems like my whole system is a lot more stable without all the crapware from BestBuy and ASUS.. Speaking of which, do I even need the ASUS ATK package for my hotkeys to work?

What does KB even do?

BrodyBoy
12-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Seems like my whole system is a lot more stable without all the crapware from BestBuy and ASUS.. Speaking of which, do I even need the ASUS ATK package for my hotkeys to work?

What does KB even do?
One guy on the NBR forum claims that all his keys (function and otherwise) worked just fine without the ATK drivers, but that's never been the case for me. On both my Asus notebooks, I've done lots of clean installs and I never get full functionality until I install the ATK package. (Most of the keys work....but there are always a few that don't.) So yeah, I consider the ATK package an essential driver, but it's not like the computer will crash without it.

I haven't (yet) found anything that doesn't work without the Asus KB filter. Keyboard filters, BTW, do just what it sounds like: they capture (filter) key presses and send commands to appropriate devices or whatever. I don't bother to install it anymore. Without it, the Microsoft generic keyboard filter installs automatically, and that seems to work just fine.

I couldn't agree more about crapware. Every system is more stable without that junk!

MrAgapiGC
12-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi guys. In order to test ll these drivers, i make a clean instal of W7 Pro 64btis. I start using, first all the bloatware that was on the edrivers file on C drive. NOTE: i make my way and purchse a BKK8 en Best Buy back in November Sema Show.

Beside the modification, in changing the RAM to PNP HyperX 1600mhz (only the 8gigs), i recomended by the way, is every day uninstall all those softwares one by one. So far Power4Gear, ATK, are the only one that I keep, since the w7 support the rest of the drivers native.

Since these computer comes with WIMAX (bkk8), I just let the windows see these wifi card native since the wifi is blend with wimax.

I will continue checking the LAN card, since until know is on windows native drivers. Of course, nvidia drivers you can downloaded from the website direct.

As soon I check all these drivers, I will install a clear install on the C drive, and use the 2 partition on the second drive for data.

Agree.... a lot of junk on these computers.

BrodyBoy
12-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Beside the modification, in changing the RAM to PNP HyperX 1600mhz (only the 8gigs), i recomended by the way, is every day uninstall all those softwares one by one. So far Power4Gear, ATK, are the only one that I keep, since the w7 support the rest of the drivers native.
Do you really mean actual drivers? Windows doesn't have native support for several of the onboard devices, so you do need dedicated drivers to attain full functionality. But if you mean bloatware, that's true... Windows has integrated utilities that can perform most of those functions already.

Since these computer comes with WIMAX (bkk8), I just let the windows see these wifi card native since the wifi is blend with wimax.

I will continue checking the LAN card, since until know is on windows native drivers.
Not sure what you mean, but WIMAX and wi-fi don't "blend," as they are two different wireless protocols. You use one or the other. (For most people, that's wi-fi, because WIMAX hasn't really caught on and isn't available in most places. I'd recommend disabling WIMAX in those cases.) Windows does have native support for a lot of wireless cards, but you'll have to wait until you do your clean install to see if the installer you use has support for your card. If not, just get a driver directly from Intel.

Windows will not have native support for your Realtek LAN card after the clean install, so that's another driver you will need to download and install.

Animoski12
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
My computer recognizes 2 Wi-Fi "Intel" products, one with WiMAX and one with out.. I only install the WiFi driver, could that cause problems? No plans on ever getting WiMAX service

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah, all you need is the wi-fi. Unfortunately, the Intel driver tends to install all that WIMAX and My WiFi stuff, too. I just disable all that.