PDA

View Full Version : Plugged in not charging...

Trijicon
12-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Ok so is there a fix for 'plugged in, not charging' ??

I went into device manager and uninstalled / re-installed the 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant control Method Battery' with no luck... Wondering if anyone else has had this issue pop up on a G74SX-A1 or G74 series.

Still have 99% battery and I keep it plugged in most of the time... I know for a fact it was working before but now it's on the fritz...

Any suggestions?

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Before assuming software issues and changing any of that, check the obvious: the three physical connections between the wall and the computer.

I recently had that issue, only to discover that I have a bad outlet!

Trijicon
12-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Done, done and done... It shows the power connected illustrated by the plug on the taskbar and it is not loosing power so it is using AC power and not the battery... It just keeps saying 'plugged in, not charging' It happened once before and then cleared itself up but it came back today... The computer is only about 2 weeks old as of today as well so I am hoping it is something easy.

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 02:26 AM
My G74SX-A1 says "Fully Charged (100%)" when I mouse over the battery icon and displays a green power LED. I've also got the laptop plugged in most of the time.

What happens when you unplug and the battery drops below 80%, then you plug in? Does it show "Charging" when you mouse over the battery icon and display an orange power LED?

If not, have you tried reseating your battery?

Trijicon
12-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Yeah... I have taken the battery out while AC is plugged in and re-seated it, shut it down and reseated it that way as well... Tried a number of things I could think of and nothing... Says the same thing.

When it was full and charged mine said the same as you and when it is down at all no matter the level it should say plugged in, charging. Not sure if I have a bad power unit / cable.

May have to call the dreaded customer support line.... ugh...

fostert
12-20-2011, 04:35 AM
So is it actually charging the battery even tho Windows says it isn't? Or is your battery just continuing to self-discharge even while the thing is plugged in?

Does it charge when the notebook is powered off? Could be the adaptor is not happy about delivering the several amps of current needed to run the G74 and charge the battery.

If it was me I'd put a voltmeter on the end of the AC adaptor and compare the voltage to that rate (19V +/- 1V for the 150W G74 adaptor).

Trijicon
12-20-2011, 05:38 AM
It's getting power just not charging the battery... The icon shows plugged in and the LED on the front face is on so it's getting power and it is not draining down at all so that's good, it's just not charging any more than where it is sitting at currently (98%) ...

I found this link and it seems that I may just have to unplug it and drain it down past 94% or so then plug it back in and it should charge back up. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Link: http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G74Sx&s=336&hashedid=LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7&os=&no=1800

I'll give that a shot and see.

Trijicon
12-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Ok.... That was it... I went and played some Call Of Duty with it unplugged and got it below 94% then plugged it back in and now it's charging back up. I guess it needs to drained down past a certain point until it re-charges fully to 100%

FenrirMH
12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Mines currently at 99% with pluged-in, not charging status, mines plugged in all or most of the time as the G74Sx is more a desktop replacement and it's annoying when it switches off when the battery dies and I'm still gaming, who wants to stop gaming to plug the battery in (I mean i could get shot, lol), esp if the battery only lasts 2hrs (when gaming anyway). I just thought it was a nice safety feature so you dont keep overcharging the battery when it's plugged in for extended periods of time, who knew it was a little niggle :)

Animoski12
12-21-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure this is actually a "convenience" feature for consumers.. Battery's are at the most efficient mode when they get charged back and forth between 95% and 100%, this allows the battery to last a whole lot longer.

If you're constantly draining your battery down to 0%, 10%, or even 50%, you're using up recharging cycles and it's "using" up the life of the battery. I'm sure you'll occasionally notice it jump around between 95% and 100% (I myself have only seen it at 100% and 99% though)

nmacleod01
07-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I found this thread and am having the same problem but at 0%. I've tried changing outlets and reseating the battery. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-
Nmacleod01

cl-Albert
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Batteries may not charge if you are above 95%, but if everything else looks good in your system, sounds like you may have a bad battery or possibly a motherboard issue if your battery isn't going above 0%. You need a good battery or another G74Sx notebook to compare with to be sure of the problem though.

Also, make sure you are still using the original AC adapter and you aren't seeing any problems on AC power.

Banshee
07-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I think this is a feature of modern laptop batteries, because both my Asus and my HP (work laptop) behave the same way. My old Dell work laptop also did this, and that was a 4+year old system, so this behavior is definitely not new. My iPad even does this; going down to 98% or so before topping off to 100%. My iPhone probably does it too, only I have just never noticed.

These laptop batteries are all Lithium Ion. Lithium likes to explode from time to time, which tends to put a damper on any important business meeting or gaming session. So battery manufacturers have included special circuitry to prevent this. Rechargeable Li-Ion camera batteries have similar circuitry, and are typically mated to a specific charger that only works with that specific battery. Standard AA and AAA batteries have no room for the circuitry, so rechargeable Li-Ion batteries are not available in those otherwise "standard" battery sizes.

All Li-Ion chargers, whether they are inside your computer, camera, or iPad, will stop the charge cycle once the circuitry has decided that the battery has reached 100% State of Charge (SOC). The laptop is still plugged into the mains, so it is powered on that, with the battery serving as a UPS. Any drop in the battery's SOC is probably very small and very slow, and when it goes below a certain point, the circuitry probably decides to give the battery a "drink" to top it off.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I've never seen the "not charging" state go below 97% in any of my devices. I guess this allows the battery to breathe.