PDA

View Full Version : Fresh G751YJ owner. some praise, bewilderings & questions

Pwltsus
09-18-2015, 01:24 AM
My old laptop broke down a long time ago and now that I started traveling more I went from my desktop to this system. I am so far satisfisfied with how robust it feels. The typing feels great, the build is solid. The performance is very good. I also love how cool it stays. Finally no lap warmer. Sure, some hot air blows from the back when gaming, but it's nothing compared to so many tightly packed laptops that fry my legs.

I have some questions:

1. Why are almost all jacks on the right side? This annoys me to no end. Most people are right handed, and my mouse on the right side. Plugging in a few devices means obnoxious cables get in the way of my mouse movement. Haven't seen this mentioned on the forums so far. Am I the only one who takes issue with this? I will likely replace the DVD drive (haven't used any in 2-3 yrs) with an extra HD (I know it's just mSata)...I really wish these jacks where on the left side.

2. What does the ROG logo key do in the numpad section? I downloaded the util for the macro keys, I changed the steam button to launch desktop mode..now I am looking to change the shadowplay one so it functions like ESC and find out what the logo button does...

3. Does anyone feel the touchpad is laggy? I use it rarely, but I find it a tad unpleasant due to some perceived delay. Is it just me?

4. I like opera and high voices make the subw really buzz...oddly.. is there any way to fix this? I've read about the audio issues, but they seem different from this. I seem to have a bit of distortion and buzz at certain frequencies... help?

5. Overall I am satisfied so far, though I had my screen turn into weird snowy color artifacts once and then the black screen on boot. I killed the hibernation stuff and made some other suggested adjustments. I then rebooted 50 times (yes, 50).. 0 black screens. If it happens in the next 10 days, though, I will return it. Anyone anything to add regarding this issue?

Vythica
09-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Nice, grats on your purchase.

1. I have no idea why they put them on the right side xD I use the left USB Ports, along with a USB 3 Multiport thingy? Lol i dunno what you call em, that allow you to plug in more USB Ports, Along with an External sound Card.

2. Are you using Windows 10 or 8? That should load up your Asus center which i never use, When i got mine on Windows 8 it worked fine, but i removed it all before i went to Windows 10. So mine does nothing at the moment. Its pretty pointless. You aint missing much.

3. Never had touchpad problems actually, so i cannot help you there. Mine works great. Did you check your Asus touchpad settings?

4. Welcome the Club and many other users are having. Alot of users are having sound problems with the stock speakers. Vibrating, buzzing...distorting, you could tweak your settings in the Audiowizard. I found in your Mixer settings, settings both of your Subs to 50 % and Speakers to 90 % fixed alot of them for me.
Right click the bottom right speaker, playback settings ---> Double click Realtek Speakers --- > Levels.

5. Never had that before, that is odd. Sounds like your OCing? The only black screen issues i have ever were Sleep/Hibernate problems from not waking up.
If that does continue i would deff take it back. Make sure your driver/ and bios are up to date too. Are you again..on windows 10 or 8? It sounds like your not using something stock here.

Maybe someone else can help with the questions , for question 1 your kinda stuck with :P

Oh and just play Witcher 3 for an hour if you wanna cook your legs =P

Edit : To add....If you are getting problems on your stock windows 8, out of the box + all windows updates, up to date bios like that black screen , i would take it back for sure. I can honestly say out of the box till now i have had no issues like that, Same model as you. Never had Blue Screens/Weird crashed apart from sleeping problems

Corporal
09-18-2015, 08:08 AM
5. Overall I am satisfied so far, though I had my screen turn into weird snowy color artifacts once and then the black screen on boot. I killed the hibernation stuff and made some other suggested adjustments. I then rebooted 50 times (yes, 50).. 0 black screens. If it happens in the next 10 days, though, I will return it. Anyone anything to add regarding this issue?
I had this issue about 6 months ago. It freaked me out, I thought the laptop was toast :D
Never had it since then.

I killed the hibernation stuff and made some other suggested adjustments.
I didn't adjust anything, so it seems to be extremely rare and completely random.

Pwltsus
09-18-2015, 04:49 PM
I am running a fresh Win10 Home install. I installed the drivers from the CD and updated what I could from the website. I have Asus Smart Gesture.. is that the touchpad program or is there another one?

I am running the newest nvidia driver (no beta) installed through GeForce XP.

aeolisio
09-18-2015, 10:40 PM
I am running a fresh Win10 Home install. I installed the drivers from the CD and updated what I could from the website. I have Asus Smart Gesture.. is that the touchpad program or is there another one?

I am running the newest nvidia driver (no beta) installed through GeForce XP.
You should have used new drivers from the asus website you have no idea how old those windows 8.1 cd drivers are.

Pwltsus
09-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Ordered a HD caddy and replaced the DVD one. Taking the faceplate off was a bit of a finicky affair, but otherwise it was a breeze. I now have two 500GB SDDs in the main two drive sections and a 1TB 7200 TB in place of the DVD. Borat voice: great success!

Corporal
09-22-2015, 02:06 PM
why not use a m.2 drive?

My setup:
Samsung MZHPU 256 GB @ M.2
Samsung EVO 850 256 GB @ SATA 3
2 x HGST 1TB 7200 @ SATA 2

Pwltsus
09-22-2015, 02:18 PM
No cash for that right now. I just bought this laptop for hard cash and I already had these drives. Too bad the m.2 blocks the fastest SATA port too. At least I thought it did... how did you get these to fit:

Corporal
09-22-2015, 02:33 PM
if you strip the Samsung EVO 850 256 GB of its case, you will find a very short circuit board which fits there without any modification :D

joshindaphils
09-22-2015, 03:18 PM
No cash for that right now. I just bought this laptop for hard cash and I already had these drives. Too bad the m.2 blocks the fastest SATA port too. At least I thought it did... how did you get these to fit:

Here are some pics / a how to on that exact config (along with others) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751

Pwltsus
09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a 500 GB SSD, though. I suppose that wouldn't fit, then...

joshindaphils
09-22-2015, 05:10 PM
I have a 500 GB SSD, though. I suppose that wouldn't fit, then...

Read that thread. There are people using 1TB SSDs.

Pwltsus
09-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Josh and Corp. I got 500GB though, so I suppose that will be too large.

Corporal
09-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Josh and Corp. I got 500GB though, so I suppose that will be too large.
It will work, with a bit of duck tape :D

aeolisio
09-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Or you could do it the right way with a 3d printed bracket and not decrease the lifespan of both drives by using tape that certainly traps heat not to meantion the residue it will leave behind. But then again i would never do anything as ghetto as tape on a $3000 laptop.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked/page4

joshindaphils
09-23-2015, 04:37 AM
Or you could do it the right way with a 3d printed bracket and not decrease the lifespan of both drives by using tape that certainly traps heat not to meantion the residue it will leave behind. But then again i would never do anything as ghetto as tape on a $3000 laptop.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked/page4

And your thread is linked in my thread and there are 500GB implementations... I think he just doesn't like reading ;)

Pwltsus
09-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I like reading. :) I just missed the second page of the thread and I had skimmed those implementation earler and missed the part where you could even cram in larger SSDs. Well, I don't have cash for a m.2 stuff now, but when I do, I am likely to go with some custom job to fit in both. Nice. Too bad they made it so difficult, though... they should have made the dvd port at least SATA2 and the other two SATA3, with the m.2 properly accessible. There's enough space..

Pwltsus
10-03-2015, 01:18 PM
How do I map functions to the"app" key next to the right large ctrl button and the ROG logo button (numpad)?