PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G551JW GTX 960 BIOS problems after updating .

dunedune
09-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Hello..
Laptop Model : G551jw
CPU : i7 4770H
GTX 960M

Am SICK Of you Asus , i still cannot realize how much i hate their stupid updates and developments on this Gaming Product . Everything in BIOS setting is Fuc*** up like "Temperature Limit & over clocking ugly restricted terms ....
First Of all for people are saying 75C temperature for graphic card is Good , its completely a garbage limitation who designed for featured games instead of 85C . yesterday i updated the BIOS settings from 202 to 204 according for some users who advised me to increase temperature limit , I expected the stock will be changed from 75C to 85C at less but the results were S*** the only thing that changed is rising temperature to 78C (just added more 3 degrees !!!!! its more than you asus dont give a **** with me ) also the most horrible thing is they locked the MSI overclocking limits . Now i cant ever adjust core clock and memory clock ,Both are locked that means the laptop being a piece of **** what kind of idiots are they ? . by the way can somebody deal with this issue please or is there a hacked BIOS mods for Gaming laptop ?
The only thing i hate in this Model is GPU Temperature limit , its so annoying to stuck it at 75C , My friend owned MSI with GTX 880M it runs very smooth than my !!!! his temperature limit is 90C including all MSI afterburner options !. Remember that EVGA Precision X application started crashes after updating to 204.
What about BIOS 205 ? and 207 ? ... what the new things added ??? also is there any chance to downgrade to 202 version ?

Last thing am gonna say for those idiots who called "developers" If the graphic card able to handle 90C temperature limit ,So why the F*** they putting a limit to 75C ???
Looks like am not going to buy any Stupid ASUS worthless products ANYMORE , The laptop is expensive for nothing Displayed on it . I really wanna smash this laptop on their heads until it keeps bleeding ^^

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ZIXEL
09-21-2015, 07:20 AM
try other bios t9 or t6 are risks but u can or tyr some overlock tutorial in this foro

dunedune
09-21-2015, 07:42 AM
try other bios t9 or t6 are risks but u can or tyr some overlock tutorial in this foro

May you please explain more about this .... i really wanna change the bios settings by doing any impossible procedures :rolleyes:

kingkaann
09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
bro..bios settings have nothing to do with gpu temp limit..bios is for cpu limits.. if you want to change the temp limit you have to unlock vbios for your gpu and change the temp limit to something higher..for instance mine is at 103 it never gets there but. i dont want to be limited.

frozenashes2
09-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Uhm, why would you not just go to the newest BIOS version?

And realize... you bought a G551 which should not be confused with the gaming power of a Origin laptop or desktop computer.

MSI locks those features because NVIDIA doesn't want people doing crazy **** with their laptop GPUs.

207 Raises the temperature limit. AND SEARCH NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!

I literally made a thread a week ago on how to boost the best performance from a G551.

Compwxr
09-21-2015, 03:04 PM
First of all, the throttling temp setting is not set in the vBios, it's somewhere hidden in the main Bios. It's true that there are experimental Bios like T6 rising Throttling Temp to 82C (Never heard of any T9 bios). I've manage with help to mod the vBios and raise power limit and core/mem clocks to where I want them to be without 135+ lock. Now at last, the 207 Bios doesn't raise the throtlling temp. It's still low at 78C. The one that had it raised was the 204 Bios.

player1_fanatic
09-22-2015, 03:27 AM
You know, we already have thread about 74C throttling limit for gtx 960m, for g551jw. Maybe post there?

dunedune
09-22-2015, 05:50 PM
bro..bios settings have nothing to do with gpu temp limit..bios is for cpu limits.. if you want to change the temp limit you have to unlock vbios for your gpu and change the temp limit to something higher..for instance mine is at 103 it never gets there but. i dont want to be limited.

So which vbios suggested tutorial do you recommend ? i tried nvflash methods to flash my GPU but i fail :( everytime i get errors while
running .rom bios , looks like the motherboard a little bit different than others

dunedune
09-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Uhm, why would you not just go to the newest BIOS version?

And realize... you bought a G551 which should not be confused with the gaming power of a Origin laptop or desktop computer.

MSI locks those features because NVIDIA doesn't want people doing crazy **** with their laptop GPUs.

207 Raises the temperature limit. AND SEARCH NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!

I literally made a thread a week ago on how to boost the best performance from a G551.

Compwxr is saying the opposite , no change in temperature limit so please dont insert conversations without finding definite answer for
my problem . Most MSI laptops are already unlocked instead of other brands .

dunedune
09-22-2015, 06:00 PM
First of all, the throttling temp setting is not set in the vBios, it's somewhere hidden in the main Bios. It's true that there are experimental Bios like T6 rising Throttling Temp to 82C (Never heard of any T9 bios). I've manage with help to mod the vBios and raise power limit and core/mem clocks to where I want them to be without 135+ lock. Now at last, the 207 Bios doesn't raise the throtlling temp. It's still low at 78C. The one that had it raised was the 204 Bios.

I expected same thing , which its more restricted policy rules to find such a hack to unlock these limits but most GPUS should be unlocked from Vbios .however if you got any news about overclocking for my model please notice me .
Here my email
flowertears1@hotmail.com
dunedune9999@gmail.com
dune9999@hotmail.com

Compwxr
09-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Overclocking in vBios is a risky and hard task without many room for trial-error... The thing is, if you have the right knowledge, surely there are ways to solve 80% of the problems you are getting yourself into. First of all consider your warranty voided if any thing goes the bad way.
RMA would not cover bad Bios flashes or bad configs.
There are tools and information how to OC in vBios all over internet but, not for our 960m. So you have to crosscheck many info from the 860m Maxwell chip or 750ti. Both use the same GM107 chip. In the case of 860m the clocks are slightly lower.
Our 960m doesn't have a lot of OC room to explore, since it is already near it push limits. I found that anything higher that 1400Mhz on Core side is a big jackpot in the silicon lottery :P So first of all everyone should check ASIC quality of their chips through GPU-Z and see if it's even worth the risk (OFC it needs to be taken with a slight grain of salt).
Another history with the memory clocks. Even with Elpida for the 4GB edition and Samsung for the 2GB (The last one I'm not really sure as I didn't test myself) I was able to get a increment of 2500 > 3200Mhz easily without artifacts, getting huge bandwith gains. Not that it makes a huge difference in gaming.

So after explained what I've achieved and info gathered. With the T06 Bios you get the 82C Throttling ceiling. Giving marginal temp room to play around with big Oc's.
Editing vBios you can increase the GPU power limit, that one is a must while overclocking.
You can mess with voltage, being 1200mv on core the highest avaiable, while undervolt being an option too.
You can disable Boost clocks and fix a stable clock, while getting the same 135+ limit to go up and down.
You can remove the 135+ limit (but it needs help by oc guru's like the ones that helped me with it "PM for more info"
And ofc, besides the most important steps, you can do a lot lot more.

So for the time being, I'm testing the 207 bios and already feel tempted to go back to modified T06 as the 78C limit annoys me.
There's still no information that I'm aware of about unlocking the Throttling temps, but if I get to any solution I will surelly share it with other Rog owners.
If there's anyone interested on taking the risk and unleash the GPU limits, I can always give help with what I know but be aware of (No warranty applies to any damage caused by overclocking or even modifying the Bios or vBios)

Well hope this is helpfull to others out here. And sorry for bad english :)

dunedune
09-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Overclocking in vBios is a risky and hard task without many room for trial-error... The thing is, if you have the right knowledge, surely there are ways to solve 80% of the problems you are getting yourself into. First of all consider your warranty voided if any thing goes the bad way.
RMA would not cover bad Bios flashes or bad configs.
There are tools and information how to OC in vBios all over internet but, not for our 960m. So you have to crosscheck many info from the 860m Maxwell chip or 750ti. Both use the same GM107 chip. In the case of 860m the clocks are slightly lower.
Our 960m doesn't have a lot of OC room to explore, since it is already near it push limits. I found that anything higher that 1400Mhz on Core side is a big jackpot in the silicon lottery :P So first of all everyone should check ASIC quality of their chips through GPU-Z and see if it's even worth the risk (OFC it needs to be taken with a slight grain of salt).
Another history with the memory clocks. Even with Elpida for the 4GB edition and Samsung for the 2GB (The last one I'm not really sure as I didn't test myself) I was able to get a increment of 2500 > 3200Mhz easily without artifacts, getting huge bandwith gains. Not that it makes a huge difference in gaming.

So after explained what I've achieved and info gathered. With the T06 Bios you get the 82C Throttling ceiling. Giving marginal temp room to play around with big Oc's.
Editing vBios you can increase the GPU power limit, that one is a must while overclocking.
You can mess with voltage, being 1200mv on core the highest avaiable, while undervolt being an option too.
You can disable Boost clocks and fix a stable clock, while getting the same 135+ limit to go up and down.
You can remove the 135+ limit (but it needs help by oc guru's like the ones that helped me with it "PM for more info"
And ofc, besides the most important steps, you can do a lot lot more.

So for the time being, I'm testing the 207 bios and already feel tempted to go back to modified T06 as the 78C limit annoys me.
There's still no information that I'm aware of about unlocking the Throttling temps, but if I get to any solution I will surelly share it with other Rog owners.
If there's anyone interested on taking the risk and unleash the GPU limits, I can always give help with what I know but be aware of (No warranty applies to any damage caused by overclocking or even modifying the Bios or vBios)

Well hope this is helpfull to others out here. And sorry for bad english :)

I tried updating my bios to BETA version ,but am getting the following error "The bios file is not valid" does the bios file is different on every laptop ? about downgrading the BIOS , i followed all instructions in this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0VKGsU40U

At the end am getting an error ( is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file )

Compwxr
09-23-2015, 11:59 AM
First be sure you have the correct laptop regarding the Bios. Only GL551JW will be supported by this bios. Try the following. Donwload Winflash from support site. Run it through run dialog box "Press win key + r" and then look for winflash installation. I.e. "c:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe". At the end insert the following command to be sure it will flash it even if it is older than your current system bios. "c:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe /nodate". Finally download Beta bios if you don't have it already from the (G551JW - GPU throttle at 74 degree celsius) thread.

dunedune
09-23-2015, 08:37 PM
First be sure you have the correct laptop regarding the Bios. Only GL551JW will be supported by this bios. Try the following. Donwload Winflash from support site. Run it through run dialog box "Press win key + r" and then look for winflash installation. I.e. "c:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe". At the end insert the following command to be sure it will flash it even if it is older than your current system bios. "c:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe /nodate". Finally download Beta bios if you don't have it already from the (G551JW - GPU throttle at 74 degree celsius) thread.

It worked like a charm OMG :) ,i messed 1 part from the video steps is selecting the exact path . i downgraded my bios to 202
successfully without any errors but i still cannot updating to BETA version .T06 , i told you before am getting this error ( The BIOS file is not valid ) If you really recommend me to update to beta version is major fix to temperature limit . maybe it might be from the format type , because winflash i showing me only these formats to update for "204-205-207" . i tried to change T06 formula to 204 but i still getting same error .
At less its impressive to downgrade :D

Compwxr
09-23-2015, 11:22 PM
That's odd, are you sure you have the same model that Beta bios is supposed to fit? Or maybe you have a corrupt one. I can send you the version I have here. Check your gmail.

dunedune
09-24-2015, 04:19 AM
That's odd, are you sure you have the same model that Beta bios is supposed to fit? Or maybe you have a corrupt one. I can send you the version I have here. Check your gmail.

OMG !!!!!! your file u sent worked with me !!!!!!! :o:o:o thats a little bit strange , the file i downloaded from that theard named 'G551JWF1.T06' and yours is 'G551JWAS.T06' the last three digits are different . now the temperature rised to 84 am so glad to upgrade my bios for better ^^ ..... Also 1 negative function still locked its core clock , At less the performance now in games improved 60% than before ....in my opinion overclocking still a basic option for me ,because its the only way to increase FPS on games So if somebody released moded BIOS for this model to unlock MSI after burner limits please notice me ^^
Thank you so much Compwxr , I really dont know how to thank you >< ......:o:o:o Since a long period am searching in google and finally someone helped me

Thanks Compwxr :o:o:o

bartat404
09-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Just going to note, that with this BIOS I actually cannot sleep anymore without a crash. If that's so, disable all sleep functions (I re-assigned all of mine to hibernate)

Compwxr
09-24-2015, 12:40 PM
You don't need to thank me dunedune, I'm glad to help :)
@bartat404 Strange, my laptop sleeps like a charm

dunedune
09-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Just going to note, that with this BIOS I actually cannot sleep anymore without a crash. If that's so, disable all sleep functions (I re-assigned all of mine to hibernate)

I dont have any problems with BETA bios , everything is working well

player1_fanatic
09-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Same for me. Sleep works fine.

bartat404
09-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Since I installed the beta BIOS, with Windows 10 sleep failed. I even reverted to original BIOS and tested. For some reason, on the beta BIOS when I try to sleep I suffer from a crash. It's a silent crash, just when I "wake up" it starts as if I turned it on with a cold boot.

pbhenry
10-05-2015, 01:00 AM
Since I installed the beta BIOS, with Windows 10 sleep failed. I even reverted to original BIOS and tested. For some reason, on the beta BIOS when I try to sleep I suffer from a crash. It's a silent crash, just when I "wake up" it starts as if I turned it on with a cold boot.

Send me a personal message and I may be able to help you out with that. thanks

dunedune
10-12-2015, 04:52 AM
The problem with windows 10 not from bios , because all users who installed Beta bios with windows 8 working fine , everything is working perfectly .... But i noticed 1
Strange thing is the sleep mode & shutdown functions are now a little bit slower .... Before when i put my laptop sleep it takes only 4 seconds , but now 15 or 20 seconds

ZIXEL
10-13-2015, 02:02 AM
The problem with windows 10 not from bios , because all users who installed Beta bios with windows 8 working fine , everything is working perfectly .... But i noticed 1
Strange thing is the sleep mode & shutdown functions are now a little bit slower .... Before when i put my laptop sleep it takes only 4 seconds , but now 15 or 20 seconds
hi dunedune my T06 BIOS throttling temp is to 82c , are you sure u got 84C ?

AsSaSsInJ0HN
10-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes i also got 84c.

ZIXEL
10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Pls can you post your BIOS here or send me a message pls .

AsSaSsInJ0HN
10-13-2015, 07:24 PM
I have the same T06.

dunedune
10-14-2015, 06:22 AM
The GPU stuck at 82C , but when Intel QuickSync and GPU running both time it goes very high but the Monitor will not display it ....
I tested intel quicksync by encoding some heavy videos and i covered my laptop by a Plaster in my Bed ... After 13 minutes the temprature it was super hot . approximately between 90-96 because i cannot touch the case or screen "it was so hot" the monitor displayed temp is 82C ,In fact its not .... Intel Quicksyns may increase temps without locking the limit . Only in GPU locked to 82C

dunedune
10-14-2015, 06:26 AM
U need beta bios !?

AsSaSsInJ0HN
10-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Yes Reading of mine during OCCT Stress Test (Graphics only) Showed 84c and it stopped the test saying that it was above the limit (82c) . I am using
Custom BETA BIOS T06. Here is the BETA BIOS FOR ASUS GL551JW : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbuphff7aqrv3b0/G551JWAS.T06?dl=0

h3ll4ngel
10-23-2015, 05:07 PM
is it risky for flash beta bios, die laptop or something like this (no warranty ) ?? its my 1st time to do this. So afraid. Pls advise.

toronto699
10-23-2015, 05:22 PM
h3ll
if your laptop is working good just leave it be

ZIXEL
10-24-2015, 08:14 PM
yeah u will lose warranty that is done ,

i have rog g551jw and i flahsed bios to T06 and its all ok and better ,
read the post 74c trhotilng

dunedune
10-25-2015, 04:33 AM
Hi h3ll4ngel
I can confirm that BETA BIOS is 100% safe , so dont worry about it ,its just only gonna increase GPU Temp to 82C instead of 74C ... 74C is sucks while running games in full HD like skyrim , The temperature is not optimized well to run on this kind of Gaming notebooks .Also you can downgrade the BIOS if you didnt like it . secondly another problem discovered about BETA BIOS in Windows 10 , Some users reported some system rebooting bugs about Win 10 ,So be aware if you upgraded to windows 10 make sure you do not update BIOS :(

h3ll4ngel
10-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Hey guys i have flashed it and im done with it.
How about turbo boost, if i disable it, will i run all game with a remain fps I got or it will be reduced ?

dunedune
10-30-2015, 04:14 PM
The vbios of this BETA is locked "All overclocking limits locked " the only thing is left is hacking the bios to change these limits --"

Gironne
01-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Yes i also got 84c.

Hi :),

I'm new here and i don't find the G551JWF1.T06 (for 84c).

Could you plz sent me this in mp ?

Thank you ! :D